• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

qualls_falls.gif

And they're blaming Tino for pushing them around...

JCizzle

im reading

so yeah seems like garcia is the only real prospect the white sox got for peavy, I'm guessing then that boston isn't getting a penny from the white sox and will just be eating peavy's contract.

Yeah. Garcia and ~$18M or whatever the prorated works out to. Good deal for the White Sox IMO.

ToxicAdam

As a baseball fan, I'd rather have 10-20 years of competitive teams (that lose in the playoffs) instead of one World Series and 19 years of 100 loss baseball.

That's just me, though.

zulux21

That's quite a far cry from what they were reportedly asking Oakland for lol.

it's a meh return in general.... but at least it's a return.
They are free of the money of peavy.
They have a solid prospect to replace rios (who assuming left just as a precautionary measure should be traded in the next 16 hours) who is under control for a lot longer than peavy or rios.
and it's not like the white sox don't have 3 decent young starters (Jose Quintana , Hector Santiago and Chris Sale) and a highly overpaid 5th starter in John Danks. Peavy can be good, but it's not like they don't have a chance to replace him with a Rios or Alexei trade for a decent young pitcher.

I think the white sox could/should have gotten more for peavy (that likely would have required eating some of his contract though), but I am still happy to see him at least traded as it's unlikely even with decent core of starting pitching next year that the white sox were going to go anywhere next year so why pay peavy for what will likely be another lost season *shrugs*

As a baseball fan, I'd rather have 10-20 years of competitive teams instead of one World Series and 19 years of 100 loss baseball.

That's just me, though.

I don't think it's entirely selfish to want one fucking World Series win in my lifetime, right? I think I'd take 30 losing seasons for one incredible Championship season. Cleveland was ready to erupt when they were two outs away from beating that shameful rent-a-championship Marlins team of 1997.

We play those bastards this weekend. Time for Revenge! xD

I agree. They should axe Amaro as well. He brought in Delmon Young to play everyday left field. He gave Papelbon that contract. He gave Howard the contract he has.

He also got Doc for nothing, signed Cliff Lee when everyone said the Phils had no chance, got good return for Pence, got Micheal Young who has far exceed expectations. The Pap contract isnt bad at all, if they were a better team he would be a huge part. The problem the last 2 years has been injuries and the bullpen. He did try and sign the best setup guy available but he got hurt. I really think Amaro is a good GM, I wouldnt fire him. I am really happy they are bringing this team back next year, they just need Howard to have a bounce back year which is ify but not impossible, and the bullpen to be better. Hopefully they can get another outfielder in the offseason. I really wish that Jro would just die, I think Galvis is a better defender and hitter at this point. Lets see what a new manager can do with this team and when it doesnt work out blow it up the following season.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
As a baseball fan, I'd rather have 10-20 years of competitive teams (that lose in the playoffs) instead of one World Series and 19 years of 100 loss baseball.

That's just me, though.
You know, I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until I watched my favorite nine have two 95+ loss seasons in a row while in the midst of their third.

cashman

Banned
Hey, I get that there are a lot of MLB fanbases that would jump off a cliff if they woke up tomorrow and realized their team had this kind of legacy, but I guarantee that half KC will be wearing Royals gear tomorrow. If they finish above 500, they'll be buzzing about the Royals all winter. The year we finally make the playoffs for the first time in 30 years, this town will come unglued.

Being terrible-average isn't even a really fun place to be. The Rangers were never spectacularly awful to get a high draft pick, but they were always bad enough to not be in the playoff hunt.

Being terrible-average isn't even a really fun place to be. The Rangers were never spectacularly awful to get a high draft pick, but they were always bad enough to not be in the playoff hunt.

Ugh. That Fringe of winning seasons that don't lead to playoffs. That's a terrible Cycle as well. =/

Syrinx

it's a meh return in general.... but at least it's a return.
They are free of the money of peavy.
They have a solid prospect to replace rios (who assuming left just as a precautionary measure should be traded in the next 16 hours) who is under control for a lot longer than peavy or rios.
and it's not like the white sox don't have 3 decent young starters (Jose Quintana , Hector Santiago and Chris Sale) and a highly overpaid 5th starter in John Danks. Peavy can be good, but it's not like they don't have a chance to replace him with a Rios or Alexei trade for a decent young pitcher.

I think the white sox could/should have gotten more for peavy (that likely would have required eating some of his contract though), but I am still happy to see him at least traded as it's unlikely even with decent core of starting pitching next year that the white sox were going to go anywhere next year so why pay peavy for what will likely be another lost season *shrugs*

Oh yeah. My post was more about how ridiculous their reported demands for Oakland were and not so much about what they actually got..

zulux21

why do you think I am rooting for the white sox to not win another game....
so many recent seasons when the white sox end with a good record but not good enough to make the playoffs... it's a large part of why their farm system sucks (the combination of not getting high draft picks as well as the team trading prospects for washed up players hoping they will give them an edge)
Oh yeah. My post was more about how ridiculous their reported demands for Oakland were and not so much about what they actually got..

that's how i read it, my post was more just my in general reaction to it in regards to the original demands lol.
I do wonder what the white sox could have gotten from the As or pirates if they had agreed to eat most of the contract though.

Sweet, this means the Tribe don't have to pitch against Peavy tomorrow, and Sale has already been scratched for Thursdays game! :D

Watch we get rocked by two unknown pitchers now as a result >_>

Probably just seeing if any desperate teams would pull the trigger. Hopefully, Amaro realizes his demands for Lee are also insane and lowers his asking price.

hemtae

Just getting caught up on the days events, I still think Peavy is mediocre but we can easily spare what we have given up so whatever.

Tampa can go suck a dick though.

JABEE

He also got Doc for nothing, signed Cliff Lee when everyone said the Phils had no chance, got good return for Pence, got Micheal Young who has far exceed expectations. The Pap contract isnt bad at all, if they were a better team he would be a huge part. The problem the last 2 years has been injuries and the bullpen. He did try and sign the best setup guy available but he got hurt. I really think Amaro is a good GM, I wouldnt fire him. I am really happy they are bringing this team back next year, they just need Howard to have a bounce back year which is ify but not impossible, and the bullpen to be better. Hopefully they can get another outfielder in the offseason. I really wish that Jro would just die, I think Galvis is a better defender and hitter at this point. Lets see what a new manager can do with this team and when it doesnt work out blow it up the following season.

I guess. I'm really just pissed off that they went into the season with the roster that they had this year. They had plenty of chances to add starting caliber outfielders this off season. They only added Revere. I don't know where this team would be if Dom Brown didn't decide to actually play up to his potential. I actually liked the Adams move. I'm just annoyed with this team and its decline.

I'm guessing Ryne Sandberg is going to be the coach next season? What other candidates will there be on the market?

Let's hope Cody Asche turns out to be a real player.

My source says, and lol at me having a source but believe me, White Sox about to make another deal. Getting rid of all of Peavys cash is allowing them to eat a bunch in this next deal. Im guessing Rios to Pirates.

Top Bottom