• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Gattis is so terrible in LF that, if he's not hitting a homer every time he plays, he's actively hurting the team out there. BJ needs to be back in CF everyday for the sake of our pitching staff. Of course, Justin hasn't been good at all in LF so far, but I'd still rather have 2 plus defenders than one. Gattis as backup catcher and pinch hitter is fine though.

BFIB

Oof, tough week for the Cardinals!

I'm happy for the Pirates, though. It's always seemed like a town that were looking for any reason to go to the ballpark, but the Pirates refused to give them one for decades on end. Congrats to them!

Here's my deal, I am always rooting for my hometown redbirds. But, as soon as we are knocked out of the race, or the playoffs, and the Pirates continue on, I will be hopping on that bandwagon for sure.

No team deserves a winning season more than them. Well, maybe the Royals.....nah,1985 still stings too much.

Yadi rumored to be out up to a month. We can wade through this injury, but damn, this is going to be tough.

Gattis is so terrible in LF that, if he's not hitting a homer every time he plays, he's actively hurting the team out there. BJ needs to be back in CF everyday for the sake of our pitching staff. Of course, Justin hasn't been good at all in LF so far, but I'd still rather have 2 plus defenders than one. Gattis as backup catcher and pinch hitter is fine though.

Yeah unfortunately Justin has been a lot worse fielder than I thought coming in, he takes a ton of bad routes that should result in catches. As for BJ maybe this DL stint is exactly what he needed and if he can get back to playing at least close to career averages at this point I'd be ecstatic, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I just don't like the thought of messing with the lineup but if Gattis' defense is as bad as you say it is then we really have no choice.

mernst23

the white sox announcer (Hawk) is notorious for being a homer, and it drives plenty of baseball fans bonkers.

I grew up with it, and I don't mind it (I can understand why people don't like it). Hawk can be annoying (especially when there is a call he feels is bad, he will bitch about it for innings), but i prefer to listen to a baseball game with an announcer that seems to actually give a crap about the team instead of just someone trying to do their best to say what is going on.

As for if other teams broadcasters are like it (aka they are clearly rooting for the team they are broadcasting for), some are (but not nearly as homery as Hawk is) and I enjoy those... some sound like they are just reading a script about what is going on... and I find those broadcasts really boring. (some also do a job like what you said... mostly straightforward but will root for their team in exciting moments)

I mean, i understand why people don't like hawk because he pouts and it's annoying, but when people trot out homerism as a bad thing I scratch my head. The Tim McCarvers and Jon Millers and Joe Bucks trying to call things neutral are fucking terrible. Couldn't tell you how many times Jon Miller's monotonous boring play by play would put me to sleep watching Sunday Night Baseball. Blech

Jays expressing interest in Howie Kendrick?

lol

I have been expressing interest in Tina Fey for years and haven't received a call back.

rekameohs

Banned
I mean, i understand why people don't like hawk because he pouts and it's annoying, but when people trot out homerism as a bad thing I scratch my head. The Tim McCarvers and Jon Millers and Joe Bucks trying to call things neutral are fucking terrible. Couldn't tell you how many times Jon Miller's monotonous boring play by play would put me to sleep watching Sunday Night Baseball. Blech

Yeah I'd take Hawk any day of the week over the ESPN dudes.

BFIB

Seeing eznark's salty posts, it reminded me, why aren't the Brewers being active?

They have pieces that can get a nice return of prospects.

alstein

What do you guys think the Braves should do with BJ once he gets back? The batting lineup we have now with Heyward at leadoff and Simmons back in 8th has done wonders for us, and Gattis has steadily contributed this month with timely hits and rbis if not performing up to the impossible standard he set earlier in the year. In my opinion since we have such a large division lead we could play him regularly and see if he can get hot but honestly I'd prefer he just come off the bench as a defensive replacement late in games at this point in the season. The outfield is performing well enough without him and the lineup is clicking extremely well right now, I see no reason to mess with it too heavily.

Give him a little chance to get hot, if that fails- platoon him with Schafer in CF and see if someone gets hot.

Gattis is ok as 5th OF/backup C/backup 1B, but I'm not sold on him getting on base enough to be an OF. Gattis hits well enough to be an offensive catcher and replace McCann or Laird next year- if McCann is willing to re-sign, I deal Laird.

I'm not as high on Gattis as most Braves fans- I think he's an asset, but I don't see him as someone likely to go beyond solid regular/folk hero.

Why the fuck would the union dight for Arod when they wouldn't fight for the other guys? I would think Arod would be the most hated person in baseball.

Malvingt2

Jeff Passan‏@JeffPassan
Latest on Bud Norris: Atlanta has jumped into foray. Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Arizona still possibilities. General sense: He'll be dealt

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Braves are not on Bud Norris. Never have been.

wtf is going on? lol

edit: sorry for the double post..

rekameohs

Banned
Rangers are taking offers for Garza also.
iSdi4pBSq7t8T.gif

sangreal

Why the fuck would the union dight for Arod when they wouldn't fight for the other guys? I would think Arod would be the most hated person in baseball.

The problem is that bud selig needs to just suck it up and give arod his 50 day suspension like every other first-time offender, but he has a personal vandetta (and is probably terrified that arod might win on appeal) and is trying to violate the spirit of the rules agreed upon with the union. Who did the union refuse to support btw? Other players are voluntarily giving up their right to appeal, it isn't being stripped from them

It's not the first time Selig has gone on a witch hunt against alex either. Look at the Galea case which turned up jack and shit.

Oof, tough week for the Cardinals!

I'm happy for the Pirates, though. It's always seemed like a town that were looking for any reason to go to the ballpark, but the Pirates refused to give them one for decades on end. Congrats to them!

It's not a big deal. They finally hit a bump on the road. The Cards have the hitting/pitching to bounce back quickly.

Braves not targeting Norris

I am of the opinion that we shouldn't add another starting pitcher. We can still win the division with the rotation we have and any starting pitcher we pick up that would actually be an upgrade would prove quite costly, while not necessarily boosting our chances of winning against a pitcher like Kershaw and the likes we will possibly be facing in the playoffs. The lack of playoff experience in the pitching staff is a bit concerning though, so it's a tough choice.

Angels want pitching. Give them Josh Johnson.

I would give them Beurhle, Janssen and Bonefacio. They probably wouldn't bite though.

I presume the Jays are on Kendrick's no-trade list.

For Bautista? I want GOOD starting pitching or some (3 or 4) high level pitching prospects close to being in The Show.

Going by the way AA operates, there are no deals involving Bautista or Kendrick and we'll get a 15 player deal moving around a bunch of nothing.

Edit: Rangers have apparently been asking about Encarnacion too. LOL!NO!

Syrinx

Man I wouldn't trade a top ten prospect for Rios. Just got out of work need to catch up on moves.

You know who I would trade a top ten prospect for? Marlon Byrd.

(is what I'm hoping some insane general manager is saying somewhere)/delusional hope

Edit: Joel Sherman was on MLBN saying Byrd was getting some interest, but the Mets are probably going to get a team's tenth best prospect at best. Depending on what they can do, it may not even be worth it.

zulux21

Kennedy to the Padres is close to a deal

and done
The Padres have bolstered their rotation for the present and future, acquiring righty Ian Kennedy from the division rival Diamondbacks for lefty reliever Joe Thatcher, Double-A reliever Matt Stites, and a compensation round B draft pick, according to a tweet from MLB.com's Corey Brock. It's a surprisingly light haul for Kennedy, a 28-year-old who is under team control through 2015 as an arbitration eligible player.

Top Bottom