• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

That 2.23 ERA that Harvey has is just so bad.

2.23 is damn good, but it ain't 1.88.

The "Harvey is better" argument relies entirely on what you think should be happening. It's saying Kershaw should be giving up more runs, based on his line drive %, the fact that his strand rate is much higher than league average, and his K% and BB%.

But that's not what has actually happened, and the day baseball starts giving out its year-end hardware based on what should have happened according to certain formulas is the day it jumps the shark hard.

Arroyo has been solid this year. If the Reds had a good right-handed bat, who knows where the team could be. Not 3rd in their own damn division.

3N16MA

Banned
2.23 is damn good, but it ain't 1.88.

The "Harvey is better" argument relies entirely on what you think should be happening. It's saying Kershaw should be giving up more runs, based on his line drive %, the fact that his strand rate is much higher than league average, and his K% and BB%.

But that's not what has actually happened, and the day baseball starts giving out its year-end hardware based on what should have happened according to certain formulas is the day it jumps the shark hard.

You're using one stat (ERA) to determine who is the best pitcher instead of taking into consideration various stats. If I was to go by ERA then Locke is pitching better than Sale, Darvish, Sanchez, Wainwright, Scherzer, and more.

Oh man Chris Perez... geez.
You're using one stat (ERA) to determine who is the best pitcher instead of taking into consideration various stats. If I was to go by ERA then Locke is pitching better than Sale, Darvish, Sanchez, Wainwright, Scherzer, and more.
WHAT? THEY'RE NOT???

Locke is one of those outliers you have every season. High WHIP, low strikeouts, somehow hasn't been hit hard.

Anyway, it isn't one stat. rWAR, WHIP, IP, ERA+, and he's 2nd in strikeouts. Furthermore, when one guy's ERA is 1.xx, and no one else is in that range, it's tough to argue that he shouldn't be the Cy Young favorite because he's benefited from "luck".

We don't really evaluate hitters that way, do we? If someone puts up a 1.200 OPS next year with a historically high BABIP, he probably won't get penalized in the MVP voting.

Don't get me wrong: Harvey is a really, really great pitcher. I just think giving out the Cy Young based on stats that attempt to account for luck would open up a pretty messy can of worms.

Askani

Well, shit. This isn't a good look heading into the weekend.

It couldn't last forever. Hopefully we got the ugly out of our system before Detroit.

Although it was about the worst possible day for us. We lost, Detroit won, Cleveland and Baltimore winning...

Texas and Oakland will probably make our failure complete today.

3N16MA

Banned
Locke is one of those outliers you have every season. High WHIP, low strikeouts, somehow hasn't been hit hard.

Anyway, it isn't one stat. rWAR, WHIP, IP, ERA+, and he's 2nd in strikeouts. Furthermore, when one guy's ERA is 1.xx, and no one else is in that range, it's tough to argue that he shouldn't be the Cy Young favorite because he's benefited from "luck".

We don't really evaluate hitters that way, do we? If someone puts up a 1.200 OPS next year with a historically high BABIP, he probably won't get penalized in the MVP voting.

Don't get me wrong: Harvey is a really, really great pitcher. I just think giving out the Cy Young based on stats that attempt to account for luck would open up a pretty messy can of worms.

Kershaw will win the Cy Young if everything stays the same. Harvey has a limit placed on him and it will hurt his chances.

Chuck

Still without luck
this bullpen is shit

it's like they've all agreed to start sucking

edit: so Jim Johnson is coming in. I hope he blows it. I hope he loses us the game again. Anything to help get this motherfucker off our team.

edit2: fuck you MASN. I don't give a flying fuck what blown saves look like for shitty teams. Fuck Jim Johnson. Fuck Buck Showlater for calling him "our closer" Fuck

I hope we lose. They need to learn.

BEMNdi2.gif

jakncoke

Banned
How can Pirates rip my heart out today? Over the past 4 games we've had

10 run 2 inning by Liriano
that late loss to Rockies
Marte dropping a easy fly that would have led us to a win

Top Bottom