• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

What a great day for baseball yesterday. It sounds like the fucking cheaters are all going to get long suspensions, and the Phillies won on a walkoff grad slam. Buster Olney was on Mike and Mike this morning and he said that he doesnt expect the MLBPA to fight the suspensions to hard. He said that the majority of players are in favor of tougher PED rules. I really hope he is right. It would be great to see Melky get a lifetime ban for all the hit he pulled last year. Phils are back to 1 game under .500, and if not for that terrible call against the Brewers they would be .500 already.

Another Blue Jays loss.

Small sample size guys.

Small sample size.

Hope J.J. keeps playing well. Wonder what we will get for him.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Today's lineup vs. PIT (12:10, SS/680AM/BRN): Simmons 6 Heyward 9 CJohnson 5 Freeman 3 Gattis 7 Laird 2 Uggla 4 BUpton 8 Teheran 1

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/342271942042214400

Only 1 bench bat, BUT Chris Johnson is batting third (????) so there's that.
well to be fair, besides simmons it is kind of optimized in terms of lineup order importance. Best hitters in 2nd, 4th and 5th. Then you have the option for 3rd with CJ, BJ and Uggla.

Best would probably be

R Uggla (walks a lot)
L Heyward
R Johnson
L Freeman
R Gattis
R BJ
R Simmons
R Laird

CJ and BJ are similar hitters over their career, chose CJ at 3rd because you want BJ's speed in front of a single's hitter, not a power hitter.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Eh, isn't it best hitter 2nd, next best hitter third, best remaining power hitter fourth, then descending ISOs from there?

Should probably be

Uggla
Heyward
Freeman
Gattis
BJ
CJ
Simmons
Laird

Although I would swap Heyward and Uggla to break up L/R and get Heyward's speed a little higher.

Windu

Eh, isn't it best hitter 2nd, next best hitter third, best remaining power hitter fourth, then descending ISOs from there?

Should probably be

Uggla
Heyward
Freeman
Gattis
BJ
CJ
Simmons
Laird

Although I would swap Heyward and Uggla to break up L/R and get Heyward's speed a little higher.
3 is behind 5
Another way to look at things is to order the batting slots by the leveraged value of the out. In plain English (sort of), we want to know how costly making an out is by each lineup position, based on the base-out situations they most often find themselves in, and then weighted by how often each lineup spot comes to the plate. Here's how the lineup spots rank in the importance of avoiding outs:

#1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #6, #7, #8, #9

So, you want your best three hitters to hit in the #1, #4, and #2 spots. Distribute them so OBP is higher in the order and SLG is lower. Then place your fourth and fifth best hitters, with the #5 spot usually seeing the better hitter, unless he's a high-homerun guy. Then place your four remaining hitters in decreasing order of overall hitting ability, with basestealers ahead of singles hitters. Finally, stop talking like the lineup is a make-or-break decision.

BFIB

For the first time this year, I am nervous about a Cardinals start.

If we give up less than 8 today, I'll be shocked.

Meier

YAAAASSSIIIIEEELLLL! I understand that it's probably better for his development to play every day than to be a rotational guy when everyone is healthy, but there's no way he shouldn't be in the bigs. I wish the MLB had a loan system like soccer does. Can't wait to see him getting significant ABs.

Don't worry, he's gonna crush it! I wish the rumor that the Yankees were gonna trade for Ethier last year had become true. Can't believe how much that guy is still making..

He crushed it alright! Took until the second game, but he crushed two even. Love this guy. Has to be playing every day.

ZackMeisel
BREAKING: Indians closer Chris Perez was arrested for drug possession, Rocky River police confirm. More soon on http://Indians.com .

Well poop. I guess that frees up a spot on my DL...

Talon

eh i'd rather just put one of the starters in the pen.
I figure Minor, Huddy, and Medlen are staying in the rotation no matter what. I just struggle seeing Teheran throwing in the pen or being sent back down.

Maholm isn't going to want to throw from the pen.

Windu

Work Beachy out of the pen like we did with Medlen last year.
Yeah. TJ pitchers are never really fully back when they come back. So maybe beachy in the pen for awhile until someone gets hurt or teheran reaches some kind of innings limit.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So guys, I hear both the BRAVES and the YANKEES have NO-HITTERS going. Imagine if we get two NO-HITTERS in one day? Amazing!

Top Bottom