• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

RBH

Struggling in the standings, the Marlins have already been mentioned as a team willing to make moves before the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline.

For now, the team is not considering dealing two of its top relievers.

According to a league source, the Marlins have told clubs that closer Steve Cishek and hard-throwing lefty Mike Dunn are not available. Both are under club control this season, and reach arbitration next year.

The Marlins, however, are open to dealing starter Ricky Nolasco, who will be a free agent next season. A source says Miami likely would get a mid-level prospect for Nolasco.

Reliever Ryan Webb, in arbitration for the first time, also could be dealt for the right offer.
http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2013/06/06/cishek-dunn-not-currently-on-trade-market/

MiKeD

Banned
Ha, haven't seen this yet from yesterday:

Cobb_curveball2_6-5-13.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping one of Appel or Gray falls to the Twins at 4 but I think it's an unlikely scenario. That being said I didn't think Buxton would fall to them last year, and uh, that's worked out okay so far.

Syrinx

DJ Peterson
Analysis: Have heard them on Peterson or Smith for weeks now. Gonzalez is another name that has gained some traction here.

is who KLaw has them taking in his mock.
I think my brother told me about this guy. He's a 3B who projects to switch to 1B, right? Makes sense if Ike can't get his shit together.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Draft day is always a little boring for me. All the mock drafts in the world are useless when your team doesn't pick until the 30s.

At least this year the Braves are saying they're going to go with the best available talent instead of one of their usual overdrafts.

MiKeD

Banned
Verlander is basically our #4 starter right now. Sanchez and Scherzer are our true aces, and both a lot more fun to watch this year.

Yea, I can't believe it. You know why Anibal's K-count increased so much? It has skyrocketed compared to other years.

Verlander is basically our #4 starter right now. Sanchez and Scherzer are our true aces, and both a lot more fun to watch this year.

And despite that contract, I ain't even mad. Our rotation is just insanely good right now..even *clears throat* Porcello. Too bad it can all go down shitter when Valverde hits the mound.

turnbuckle

Yea, I can't believe it. You know why Anibal's K-count increased so much? It has skyrocketed compared to other years.

It's a little outdated but here's a fangraphs article about Sanchez: Anibal Sanchez - A strikeout Rate To Believe In?

His rate is down to 11.3K/9 since. He's pitched against Texas, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Tampa since that article. Some combination of strikeouts generally being up more around the league, pitching against teams that strikeout more frequently, another season of being consistently healthy, and still being relatively new to the league? I'm not sure, and I hope other teams don't find out :p

And despite that contract, I ain't even mad. Our rotation is just insanely good right now..even *clears throat* Porcello. Too bad it can all go down shitter when Valverde hits the mound.

Me neither. I wish they would have put JV on the 15 day DL when he first was having blister issues. It'd break that aura about him that he's such a horse that he never has to go on the DL while giving him time to get some rest and properly heal and allow him to work on a few things while Drew Smyly fills his spot in the rotation for a bit. I'm not concerned about not making the playoffs (*knock on wood*) but I am concerned that something just ain't quite right with Verlander. He didn't look all that great even when his ERA and K/9 were excellent at the start of the year.

I ain't mad at all, but I don't want 2008 JV to happen again. I remember thinking the playoffs were a forgone conclusion that year too :X :p

MiKeD

Banned
It's a little outdated but here's a fangraphs article about Sanchez: Anibal Sanchez - A strikeout Rate To Believe In?

His rate is down to 11.3K/9 since. He's pitched against Texas, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Tampa since that article. Some combination of strikeouts generally being up more around the league, pitching against teams that strikeout more frequently, another season of being consistently healthy, and still being relatively new to the league? I'm not sure, and I hope other teams don't find out :p

Well, I hope the Indians do lol

Thanks for the article.

turnbuckle

I really hope Appel drops a bit. No one should be rewarded for thinking they're better than the game.

Don't be ridiculous. Why do you think he believes he's better than the game? The same game he still played at school after spurning last year's draft.

It's an interesting double-standard calling a player greedy/cheap/selfish/self-interested yet the teams that are at the bottom generally receive several times the bonus he was offered last year just through luxury tax / revenue sharing.

I don't care one way or the other about Appel and maybe he has some other character issues I don't know about. Saying he thinks he's better than the game is kinda silly though.

verbum

I really hope Appel drops a bit. No one should be rewarded for thinking they're better than the game.

I heard a comment on ESPN that Appel is supposed to have posted snide comments about his team members who had a good hit or defensive play during a game. That was Cowherd so a grain of salt is required.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AdamKilgoreWP
Brace yourself: Bryce Harper is going to see Dr. James Andrews on Monday for his left knee.

Wow at that Harper news.

Looks like the Nats threw away their 1 year window. That arrogance is looking pretty insane now.

Syrinx

So if Appel ends up not signing again because he wants a lot of money and he's not satisfied with the offer...then what? He's already used up all of his eligibility at Stanford, hasn't he? If he has, he really doesn't have any leverage. He'll probably get offered the amount for the slot he's taken in and will have to settle for that.

Edit: oh my that Bryce Harper news.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Draft day is always a little boring for me. All the mock drafts in the world are useless when your team doesn't pick until the 30s.

At least this year the Braves are saying they're going to go with the best available talent instead of one of their usual overdrafts.
yeah the two drafts I have only ever been interested in was the Heyward one and Minor. Had 14th and 7th picks I believe. Most of the Braves draft picks since 1992 or whatever have been 25 or higher.

sounds like the mock drafts have the braves going for a pitcher though.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So if Appel ends up not signing again because he wants a lot of money and he's not satisfied with the offer...then what? He's already used up all of his eligibility at Stanford, hasn't he? If he has, he really doesn't have any leverage. He'll probably get offered the amount for the slot he's taken in and will have to settle for that.

Edit: oh my that Bryce Harper news.
Then he gets to negotiate with all teams as an undrafted free agent, as far as I know. Which would give him enough leverage to acquire a multi-year MLB deal.

Top Bottom