• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

Hanley was back in the lineup last night at least. And as a loyal Red Sox fan, youre better off without Crawford.
I've probably said that too before the season began but Crawford has been pretty damn good for us. He and A-Gon have pretty much been solid in the lineup. I just wish we could have him out there along with Puig for this series.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Don't be ridiculous. Why do you think he believes he's better than the game? The same game he still played at school after spurning last year's draft.

It's an interesting double-standard calling a player greedy/cheap/selfish/self-interested yet the teams that are at the bottom generally receive several times the bonus he was offered last year just through luxury tax / revenue sharing.

I don't care one way or the other about Appel and maybe he has some other character issues I don't know about. Saying he thinks he's better than the game is kinda silly though.
He refused to sign at the slotted amount, instead demanding more money, which would have left the Pirates with nothing to sign their other picks. Yeah, it sucks for him that the rules had just changed, but everyone was affected by that. He's not special.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope Appel drops a bit. No one should be rewarded for thinking they're better than the game.
Pick #4 is the perfect place for him to fall. Then the Twins should just get him TJ surgery now so he's for sure a part of the 2015 team.

Then he gets to negotiate with all teams as an undrafted free agent, as far as I know. Which would give him enough leverage to acquire a multi-year MLB deal.
My understanding is there'd be a different deadline so he could hold that team's bonus pool hostage until he signs. If he went and played independent ball, my understanding is he'd have to re-enter the draft again next year. But I'm unclear on this all.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
My understanding is there'd be a different deadline so he could hold that team's bonus pool hostage until he signs. If he went and played independent ball, my understanding is he'd have to re-enter the draft again next year. But I'm unclear on this all.
As a college senior he does have a much later deadline. But yeah, I'm not entirely sure what happens if he gets drafted but then opts not to sign. It's not a common situation.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
As a college senior he does have a much later deadline. But yeah, I'm not entirely sure what happens if he gets drafted but then opts not to sign. It's not a common situation.
My guess is he's doing oil changes in 3 years if that happens.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Looking over the latest FG standings update, they have Detroit and Atlanta winning their divisions by 12 games.

JR (Vegas)

It's obvious the Mets aren't contenders this year, so why stick with playing veterans like Byrd, Ankiel, etc. on a regular basis? They probably aren't any better than Lagares and Valdespin, but at least find out. With the young guys, there is hope of some upside or that they will figure it out with regular playing time. There is no chance of that with the vets.

Adam Rubin (12:36 PM)

I agree. There are only a couple of plausible explanations for playing veterans: You're in denial about contention this year and you feel like the vets give you the best shot to win. Or, you are concerned that the young players are not ready, so you just need placeholders. I imagine it's the latter, that they just don't think Juan Lagares can succeed right now and they are concerned either they'll devalue him or ruin his confidence, which could have long-term repercussions. I was speaking with C.J. Nitwkowski on Twitter last night, and he noted in his career he was rushed when he wasn't ready, and it took him two or three years to get his head back on straight after he struggled. I watched that with the Mets with outfielder Jeff Duncan in 2003. He was up way too soon, had a horrific 0-for-something slump and never recovered psychologically, at least according to my amateur analysis.
Justin Turner, lf
Daniel Murphy, 2b
David Wright, 3b
Marlon Byrd, rf
John Buck, c
Ike Davis, 1b
Juan Lagares, cf
Omar Quintanilla, ss
Shaun Marcum, rhp

oh god

sangreal

Why? I don't know anything about the draft.

Because unless they're a senior, they can just go back to school and reenter the draft next year and try again for a higher slot (a lot more money). The Yankees only hope is to get lucky with a reach or a mediocre player. More likely to end up with the Cito Culvers of the world

Gerrit Cole (2011 #1 - PIT) and Gray (2013 #3 - COL) are both former Yankee picks :(

Top Bottom