• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB SHOW 09 GAF "Take me out to the ballpark" League

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Just checking to see the interest this year,since the game comes out next week.Last years leagues fell apart,but I'm hoping with improved online league settings and hopefully less lag we can finally have a decent league.....

Online league improvements
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/23/mlb-09-the-show-online-season-leagues-and-improvements/

I haven't talked to Mr.Bob yet,he was in control of the failed leagues last year *gives evil eye to Mig and Big Zep* So I'm not sure if he wants to commish again.

Please list the team you are interested in using.Please only post in here if you are 100% committed to playing and have the time.

I'm calling the Stros right now :p

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I may be interested in being commish but it all depends on how the game plays online. The last two years have been overpromised failures in regards to online. But Zep asked me a while back if I would do it and I said I would consider.

However, MrBob and I have been discussing the possibility of weekend tournaments rather than a league. They are more flexble than leagues and can be as much fun as a league. What do you guys think about tourneys?

And I am calling the Braves.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Id prefer a league,but I'm down for whatever.

It sucks that everyone had massive lag issues last year.I played Fifty over 100 times online and we had no issues and I'm in NY and he's in Canada.

Even the league games I played were never too bad,I was always surprised when people would be complaining about how bad it was.

Zep :lol He should just retire from GAF Baseball leagues,he was hilarious last year and not in a good way.He organized a ton and was so involved in everything and then as soon as the leagues would start....he would vanish.

PS- I also think a smaller league would be better,we need committed people that are as serious about baseball as they are Madden.

DenogginizerOS

I honestly think I would prefer just playing people head to head on occasion and get my league fix from Road to the Show. Unless the commish has a lot more tools at his disposal in this year's game, I fear it will just be a repeat of last year's frustration.

And I see nothing in the PR about improving the netcode....:(

Matrix

I'm just crossing my fingers,we won't know till next week.I don't think I've ever really seen PR from anyone who creates sports game about improving netcode,but I may be mistaken.

Maybe the Madden guys sent out PR like that,but they always lie :p

Mrbob

DA Cubs.

I do agree about being smaller league. I think it should be 12 people max. We tried 16 last year and had some people bail out. We need to make sure people are completely committed. If we can make it through one with 12 perhaps we can expand to 16 in the second season. I see there is flex schedling this season will help a ton getting games in.

Not sure if I want to commish it though. I will if i have too, but running last years was a headache! Of course part of the problem was that half the commish items last year were glitched and I couldn't do them at all. :lol Can we co commish leagues this year?

Core407

Banned
Hells yeah I'm in. Any thoughts on doing a draft before the season starts? I think it would be a nice change of pace.

PSN ID: Hijack500
Team: Atlanta Bravos

Mrbob

I'm not a fan of fantasy drafts since I want to use my team for the players that are on it.

Trades could be a possibility though, but they would have to be fair trades.

Core407

Banned
Mrbob said:
I'm not a fan of fantasy drafts since I want to use my team for the players that are on it.

Trades could be a possibility though, but they would have to be fair trades.

So long as I get ATL, I don't care.

DenogginizerOS

Core407 said:
Hells yeah I'm in. Any thoughts on doing a draft before the season starts? I think it would be a nice change of pace.

PSN ID: Runner45
Team: Atlanta Bravos
Already called the Braves in post #2. :D

Core407

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Already called the Braves in post #2. :D

What the hell. Are you the same guy who got 'em last year? Bullshit. You should have to play me for 'em.

If you don't play me, I call the Marlins I guess.

jman2050

MY PSN ID is jman2050, and I definitely want in.

Since it's obviously futitle trying to grab my favorite team (Yankees) and it's ultimately kind of boring doing that regardless, I'll take the White Sox.

Matrix

DMczaf said:
Pencil me in as the Mariners!

Suck it Bob!

Jr won't help your Show skills.

DenogginizerOS

Core407 said:
What the hell. Are you the same guy who got 'em last year? Bullshit. You should have to play me for 'em.

If you don't play me, I call the Marlins I guess.
No. I have not had them and they have been my team since I was a kid. My Dale Murphy and Bruce Benedict autographs can back me up on that. Sheesh.

Macattk15

DMczaf said:
Pencil me in as the Mariners!

Suck it Bob!

Nooooooooooooooooo. Wish I saw this thread the other day!

If anything happens, I'll take his Mariner throne since he is penciling himself in.

PSN : Macattk15

Dez

I'll be in as the Jays ideally.. hopefully the netcode is fixed. I think that was the only problem in last year's gaf league - yes the league options are limited, but if games can be completed without dropouts 95% of the time, we should be ok.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DCX said:
I'm in, call the Yankees.

DCX
Goddammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:

Work is about to slow down (for obvious reasons :lol) and last year's Madden league BOMBED so I am itching for GAF league play.

I am super reliable.

In order I would take:

Mets
LA Angels
Tampa Bay
Milwaukee
Detroit

I don't want to stop someone from using their favorite team, so I'll take any of those from top to bottom preference.

Mrbob

Wellie going to take the Mets? Oh god, I don't know if that's the funniest part of the fact you are doing it just to spite Frankman. :lol

Shots fired and the league isn't even up yet!

eznark said:
You have the coolest 360 ever.

:lol

Oh and Eznark you have no more players left to defeat me! Maybe you can throw junk balls in the dirt all game like Matrix to try and hold me up! :D

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Wellie going to take the Mets? Oh god, I don't know if that's the funniest part of the fact you are doing it just to spite Frankman. :lol

Oh and Eznark you have no more players left to defeat me! Maybe you can throw junk balls in the dirt all game like Matrix to try and hold me up! :D

If we do a full league I will have to go to a whacky 3 man rotation or something, then have Parra, McClung, Suppan and Villanueva pitch a few innings apiece in the other starts.

Big-E

If you guys need someone to fill out the league I may be able to do it but I don't think I will have the time. You can put me down as an alternate or something if people drop out.

Mrbob

McClung and Suppan....just say that out loud. There is a big part of your 09 pitching staff. :lol

Of course they'll probably be able to beast in the game and shut everyone down. :/

I think we'll go with a required 4 man rotation. You can go up to 5, but only 4 will be required.

Aww damn you are out Big E? We had some epic league games last year. I wanted to get vengeance for that two out, two strike, two run homer you hit to beat me!

Big-E

Mrbob said:
McClung and Suppan....just say that out loud. There is a big part of your 09 pitching staff. :lol

Of course they'll probably be able to beast in the game and shut everyone down. :/

I think we'll go with a required 4 man rotation. You can go up to 5, but only 4 will be required.

Aww damn you are out Big E? We had some epic league games last year. I wanted to get vengeance for that two out, two strike, two run homer you hit to beat me!

Ya I want to play but school has been owning me recently. I just need the month of March to end and I should have more time. Right now though, I just don't see how I can fit playing a series in a week.

eznark

Banned
McClung was a slightly above average pitcher last year, no shame with him in there. Sadly, it sounds like he'll start in the pen while Suppan gives away some games.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:

Nah, but the team I am second most familiar with in the MLB is the Mets.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I might be interested in this league. I'm going to see if I can get Gamefly to send me the game. I liked last years version.

Mrbob

So I'm trying to compile a list of players, teams and who is intersted. If I miss you let me know so Matrix can input in the original thread:

Matrix - Disastros
Denog - Brave
MrBob - Da Cubs
DCX - Yankees
Corran Horn - Giants
Smity 3000 - Phillies (lol zep owned)
Core407 - Marlins
jrman2050 - White Sux
LJ11 - Mets?
Macattk15 - ?
Dez - Blue Jays
Eznark -lolcrew
Wellington - ?
GQman - Luckiest team in the world last year divisional playoffs aka Dodgers

Nights yeah newcomers are welcome. Just be sure you are committed to playing and don't bail out on the league in the first week. I bolded a couple names because I don't remember seeing you guys in leagues before. Not a big issue, as its always nice to see new blood in these leagues, just want to make sure you guys are good to go. I think flex scheduling will work the best to make it easier for everyone to get their games in.

With this count I see 14 people at the moment. We probably shouldn't go higher than 16.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Mrbob said:
Nights yeah newcomers are welcome. Just be sure you are committed to playing and don't bail out on the league in the first week. I bolded a couple names because I don't remember seeing you guys in leagues before. Not a big issue, as its always nice to see new blood in these leagues, just want to make sure you guys are good to go. I think flex scheduling will work the best to make it easier for everyone to get their games in.

I've never done a league but I'm a dedicated MLB The Show whore. Put like 6 months of my life into that game last year so there should be no issue with me.

Core407

Banned
Mrbob said:
So I'm trying to compile a list of players, teams and who is intersted. If I miss you let me know so Matrix can input in the original thread:

Matrix - Disastros
Denog - Brave
MrBob - Da Cubs
DCX - Yankees
Corran Horn - Giants
Smity 3000 - Phillies (lol zep owned)
Core407 - Marlins
jrman2050 - White Sux
LJ11 - Mets?
Macattk15 - ?
Dez - Blue Jays
Eznark -lolcrew
Wellington - ?
GQman - Luckiest team in the world last year divisional playoffs aka Dodgers

With this count I see 14 people at the moment. We probably shouldn't go higher than 16.

I think Zep's PS3 died which fuckin' blows. Hopefully he figures out a way to get a new one.

Edit: The export feature to the replays will be AWESOME. :lol I hope other people are going to be uploading videos of the games they play with each other cause I know I will.

Mrbob said:

No worries you can count on me, put well over 100 hours into '08 just got it much later than the game was released so the leagues were already up and running.

eznark

Banned
How is the scheduling going to work, and when is the league going to go until? Real life may get in the way this summer.

Sanjuro

I didn't bother to look in the online thread, I was going to start a league out of the MLBgaf.

If there is a spot available, Red Sox. I haven't been in GAF league since MLB2k8, going to pick this up day of release.

Oh a thread was created?

Yeah I was polling MLB-GAF like a month and a half ago on a possible MLB-GAF league/commish rules, I probably willl get it this week and wanted to know:

A) Who will buy it.
B) Type of league (game amount? Draft?)
C) Who actually has time to play (see the clusterfuck that was the PS3 Madden 09 League)

What day will everything be implemented? I look to get it for PS3 this week.

I'm in as well, I'll yield the Mets to Frank if he wants them.
Thanks, I shall use the New York Mets in good health!!! :D

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Oh a thread was created?

Yeah I was polling MLB-GAF like a month and a half ago on a possible MLB-GAF league/commish rules, I probably willl get it this week and want to know:

A) Who will buy it.
B) Type of league (game amount? Draft?)
C) Who actually has time to play (see the clusterfuck that was the PS3 Madden 09 League)

Thanks, I shall use the New York Mets in good health!!! :D
I'm unemployed still. Soooo....yeah I got time.

Also did you guys read on the conflicting issues in the blog?

I understand that the “flexible” playing method would make it very hard to add online fatigue.

Such as if you played a game on the 10th of april, then jumped to the 15th of april and used that same pitcher…that would cause a huge problem for games from the 11th to the 14th. (For people who don’t follow, if you return to play a game on the 13th, and pitched that same pitcher…whatever fatigue that was accumulated on the 13th, would never have been presented when you played your game on the 15th) So alas, the flexible schedule causes some major problems.

But…there is a simple fix…one which I think is necessary for a online league/draft.

I think you need to make a rule that you can’t pitch a starter unless there are at least X days in between since the last starter pitched. Therefore if you pitched a starter on the 10th, then jumped to the 15th and pitched that starter…due to the rules, you would’t be able to use that starter during the 11th, 12th, 13th, or 14th as it would break the X day rule. Next day you could use that starter would be the 19th.
X = Amount of days you want to substitute for rest. Now I imagine some sort of thing would be worked out if you have a situation at the end of the year/playoffs where you'd see ace guys on short rest but that's another story.

Mrbob

Yeah I was thinking about that, and why I'm a bit hesitant to do a flex league.

League will require 4 starters from your rotation, 5 is optional. But if we flex it you have to set up your 4 man rotation, and then only start your regular starter on that specific day.

It would be better if we can make it on a regular schedule, but this could be tough to do. That way everything is played in sync.

You can't use your ace every game.

Of course another way to handle it is by number of uses per pitcher. For example, if its a 48 game season and you start 4 guys, you can only use each starter 12 times.

Top Bottom