• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB SHOW 09 GAF "Take me out to the ballpark" League

Sanjuro

Finally have my profile picture approved by the MLB staff. I'm curious on how soon we might have a league going. I'm going to Texas from 3/12-20...I can bring the game if needed to complete a series or too. I could be just getting ahead of myself, I'm really looking forward to a league. :D

Anyone on to play late tonight?

Mrbob

As long as everything is running smoothly, league will go up mid next week.

I think flex scheduling is turned on by default. The manual mentions you can flex your games up to a certain amount. Not sure until the league is up.

Going to have to play 3 game series in 5 days, so get ready for a commitment to play. Anything longer will just take too long to complete the league.

Fast play will be on. Guess pitch will be turned off because it benefits the batter way too much. Debating about hot zones...I want to keep them off so pitchers don't spam the cold zones all the time but it is also a nice reference to use on the mound. You can always hit start to see the hot/cold zone of any pitcher. I'm leaning towards keeping it off at the moment.

Also, probably will go with all star difficulty if you want to start practicing.

Sanjuro

Mrbob said:

I think flex scheduling is turned on by default. The manual mentions you can flex your games up to a certain amount. Not sure until the league is up.

Going to have to play 3 game series in 5 days, so get ready for a commitment to play. Anything longer will just take too long to complete the league.

Fast play will be on. Guess pitch will be turned off because it benefits the batter way too much. Debating about hot zones...I want to keep them off so pitchers don't spam the cold zones all the time but it is also a nice reference to use on the mound. You can always hit start to see the hot/cold zone of any pitcher. I'm leaning towards keeping it off at the moment.

Also, probably will go with all star difficulty if you want to start practicing.
I'm ready to get my ass handed to me anyway. I'm getting better at the game, but still average at best player. I enjoy taking decent defeats though as long as I'm not forced lag and cheese down my throat.

You up for a game Mrbob? My PSN info is on profile if you are game.

Mrbob

I'd love to play another game now...but I need to get to sleep. Sorry. :(

Mushashi just beasted me online. Need to get my mojo back!

Mrbob said:

eh, ok on the mid-next week.
Can do. I have no prob committing for a league.
Fast play will be on.
No prob...
Guess pitch will be turned off because it benefits the batter way too much.
GODDAMNITYOUSONA---

2hr3lsy.gif

ok, fine...
ok.

Sanjuro

To be honest I like classic pitching, no strike zone, no guess pitch. Meter pitching I like better but in single player and COMPLETELY lag-free games. Even guess pitch I really don't mind at all I just hate how it bunches you up sometimes when aiming your pitch. So I'm game for whatever.

What about you Frankman? I'll take you on at Shea.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
To be honest I like classic pitching, no strike zone, no guess pitch. Meter pitching I like better but in single player and COMPLETELY lag-free games. Even guess pitch I really don't mind at all I just hate how it bunches you up sometimes when aiming your pitch. So I'm game for whatever.

What about you Frankman? I'll take you on at Shea.
I'd love to face you but I won't get the game until the league is about to start, which is anywhere from next Sunday-Wednesday. I'm playing the demo ad nauseum right now.

Mrbob

Yeah it will be meter pitching...and strike zones will be on so it gives people context of the strike zone for each batter.

So...

Fast Play = on
Guess pitch = off
Pitching style = meter
Strike Zones = on
Hot zones = off
Difficulty = All Star

Now I just need to figure out season length and series length. How many games do you guys want to play...I can go anywhere from about 40 to 90+ with 16 to 18 people in the league. :lol

Sanjuro

Mrbob said:
Yeah it will be meter pitching...and strike zones will be on so it gives people context of the strike zone for each batter.

So...

Fast Play = on
Guess pitch = off
Pitching style = meter
Strike Zones = on
Hot zones = off
Difficulty = All Star

Now I just need to figure out season length and series length. How many games do you guys want to play...I can go anywhere from about 40 to 90+ with 16 to 18 people in the league. :lol
I'll do 90+ if all players submit credit card information in case they flake.

Mrbob said:

So...

Fast Play = on
Guess pitch = off
Pitching style = meter
Strike Zones = on
Hot zones = off
Difficulty = All Star

1) eh.
2) Let's not get into my feelings on that.
3) If that's the circular thing no prob.
4) I'm a bit surprised but for the people new to The Show I understand.
5) Considering you can view them by hitting a button no prob.
6) No prob

The assumption in a smoothly run league is two online seasons in one year (at least) so what, 70 games? Assuming 16-18 teams... wait is there an American/National League split here?

Mrbob

Yeah I'm leaning towards the lower side for games played...if we can make it through one season nearly intact perhaps we can then bump it up for season 2.

I just hope I can actually add and remove players this year once the season starts. Last year the function was borked.

Even though there will be only 16 to 20 players, I'm going to set playoff teams at 8 if I can. I know this is abnormally high for the number of teams playing, but I want to give everyone a shot at making the playoffs. If we are at game 30, and a couple teams are on top of their division by a decent margin I still want to make things interesting for all involved to have something to play for.

Also, another reason to have the strike zone on is I don't know how many people have rumble controllers. Would be too big of an advantage to those who do.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Are we able to do trades in online seasons?
I think we would but you'd have to watch out for a Jerry West/Lakers/Pau Gasol situation. One guy out of the playoffs could trade his star guys to his friends' teams who will make the playoffs.

Mrbob

Not sure about trades. I can't see how it can hurt as long as everyone is responsible with their trades. Need to see how the online system handles trades. They would need to be reasonable trades. No dumping off weak players for good ones. Trade deadline will be before mid season so there is no dumping of players going on towards the end of the year.

There will be pitching staff requirements. Player rotation of 4 starting pitchers is required. 5 is optional.

Sanjuro

Mrbob said:
Not sure about trades. I can't see how it can hurt as long as everyone is responsible with their trades. Need to see how the online system handles trades. They would need to be reasonable trades. No dumping off weak players for good ones. Trade deadline will be before mid season so there is no dumping of players going on towards the end of the year.

There will be pitching staff requirements. Player rotation of 4 starting pitchers is required. 5 is optional.
I'll trade you Jon Lester from MLB2K9 for Carlos Zambrano straight up.

ek4ac5.jpg

Core407

Banned
Anyone up for a game? Send an invite to Runner45

Ugh the lag combined with the quicker bat swings just ruins online hitting.

Even 40 games sounds like too much to me. Is that the lowest it can be? I've never been in an online league before so forgive my ignorance. I'd rather have a few 15-20 game seasons that we actually finish than a larger one that doesn't get done.

I've honestly never played an online game in the show; this year or in years prior. Sports games online have been a horrible experience for me (madden and nhl) because you can never have a big lead and expect the other guy to actually have the balls to finish the game. This is why a league with Gaffers appeals to me because I know if someone bails we can all ream you on here :D All star? HAH I play on rookie and I blow. I most likely won't win one game the entire season.

Also, incase anyone missed it, I called the red sox earlier in this thread :D

Mrbob

Every series is 3 games, and you have to play at least one series against everybody so the league is going to have to be at least in the mid 30s to low 40s. There is flex scheduling so hopefully this helps out.

Unless I can find an option to make them two game series....but I didn't see that. I only saw one and three and one game just seems wrong for baseball.

czartim said:
MrBob, are you going to mess with the sliders any?

Not even sure if I can adjust sliders for the league. So I dunno!

Mrbob

Both White Sox and Red Sox have been claimed.

No draft, but I think trades will be open for the first half of the season.

Mrbob

Wellington grabbed the Rays already...sorry. :(

I'll recompile a list later today and post it in this thread and picked teams. I'll probably make a new thread soon as well as I can't edit out the first post since Matrix made this one .

Sanjuro

criesofthepast said:
Even 40 games sounds like too much to me. Is that the lowest it can be? I've never been in an online league before so forgive my ignorance. I'd rather have a few 15-20 game seasons that we actually finish than a larger one that doesn't get done.

I've honestly never played an online game in the show; this year or in years prior. Sports games online have been a horrible experience for me (madden and nhl) because you can never have a big lead and expect the other guy to actually have the balls to finish the game. This is why a league with Gaffers appeals to me because I know if someone bails we can all ream you on here :D All star? HAH I play on rookie and I blow. I most likely won't win one game the entire season.

Also, incase anyone missed it, I called the red sox earlier in this thread :D
I called Sox couple of months ago in the MLB thread and plus you're from Toronto.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I called Sox couple of months ago in the MLB thread and plus you're from Toronto.
NooOooooooOoOoooooooooooooooo. Toronto is my first choice but someone called them earlier. I really don't care what team I get, I'll choose after the list has been made.

Sanjuro

criesofthepast said:
NooOooooooOoOoooooooooooooooo. Toronto is my first choice but someone called them earlier. I really don't care what team I get, I'll choose after the list has been made.
I usually just pick a team that isn't in general interest. If Strangelove or someone decided to join in on the fun next season I would swap with him and pick the Orioles or Royals or something. The main purpose is that everyone has a chance to enjoy themselves and keep up their online appearances to keep the league alive.

Last successful league I did off here I ended up with the Bears in NFL2K5 and traded basically my entire defense and got Tom Brady. I still managed to make the playoffs but I would get blown out and make epic comebacks either winning or just falling short.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
god it's depressing not being able to play :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
My only problem so far with the game is that lag is brutal online. I'm playing my friend worldrunover who lives on Long Island approx 50 miles away and it's choppy as hell.

Why can't they make this game for Xbox!?

Wellington said:
My only problem so far with the game is that lag is brutal online. I'm playing my friend worldrunover who lives on Long Island approx 50 miles away and it's choppy as hell.

Because you touch yourself at night.

Mrbob

Xbox won't fix the lag.

I'm going to try playing some night games. Last year there was a better chance of the game lagging in day games versus night crews. But yeah Sony needs to step up their online situation....i thought a patch was coming?

eznark

Banned
Wellington said:

I was unable to play with my buddy 3 blocks away last night around 9 est. Fucked up.

i thought a patch was coming

Saying that about 08 til the day 09 came out!

Also, how the F do you do voice chat in this game? I tried everything last night.

Im down for a league

psn: pistolpete294
eastern timezone

Yankees were picked already so I'll just pick a team when I see the list, doesnt matter to me

Edit: That is, if you guys wouldn't mind one more, if me joining causes too many games, then don't worry about me. Just have fun.

God...

carl.jpg

Just found out I'll be visiting folks in Philly and won't be back until the 24th. I'll be ready for league action afterwards though.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Every league needs a team that gives you easy wins and I'm prepared to be that guy.

What teams are still available? I'd like a decent team even though I'm pretty bad. I got plenty of free time to play a 40+ game season and I dont quit even if I'm getting owned.

Will there be a mercy rule?

edit--that's cool I guess for stats it's great. I dont mind losing I still enjoy batting even if I'm down by 6 runs. This happens to me against the computer.

Sanjuro

ChrisGoldstein said:
Every league needs a team that gives you easy wins and I'm prepared to be that guy.

What teams are still available? I'd like a decent team even though I'm pretty bad. I got plenty of free time to play a 40+ game season and I dont quit even if I'm getting owned.

Will there be a mercy rule?
No.

Mrbob

Wellington said:
What's the word, we getting this rolling or what?

Can't start it for at least another couple days.

List of teams taken so far (If I missed you let me know!)

MrBob - Da Cubs
DCX - Yankees
Corran Horn - Giants
Smity 3000 - Phillies
Core407 - Braves
jrman2050 - White Sox
LJ11 - Mets?
Macattk15 - ?
Dez - Blue Jays
Eznark -Brewers
Wellington - Rays
GQman - Dodgers
Sanjuro - Red Sox

Everyone else I have no idea who is taking what....this should be current so if you want in let me know with your team!

Core407

Banned
Mrbob said:
Can't start it for at least another couple days.

List of teams taken so far (If I missed you let me know!)

MrBob - Da Cubs
DCX - Yankees
Corran Horn - Giants
Smity 3000 - Phillies
Core407 - Bravos
jrman2050 - White Sox
LJ11 - Mets?
Macattk15 - ?
Dez - Blue Jays
Eznark -Brewers
Wellington - Rays
GQman - Dodgers
Sanjuro - Red Sox

Everyone else I have no idea who is taking what....this should be current so if you want it let me know with your team!

I have the Braves now since Denog pulled out.

Sanjuro

Like right now we have..

NL
Cubs
Giants
Phillies
Braves
Mets
Brewers
Dodgers

AL
Yankees
White Sox
Blue Jays
Rays
Red Sox

We could get two more AL teams to keep things in order or at worst move the Brewers back to the AL for a season. I definatley would like to see it split up and have a lengthy post season tourney.

Macattk15

Oh god damnit, you pencil'ed yourself in for the Mariners on the first page when you didn't even own the game?!?!

I hate you! I called them right after you did.

Top Bottom