• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Thanks guys. I have badass team to comeback to when I get gametime in. I'm still gonna shoot for WS. Don't know if it will be possible, never had a kid before, but I'll try.

Crackbone

Thanks guys. I have badass team to comeback to when I get gametime in. I'm still gonna shoot for WS. Don't know if it will be possible, never had a kid before, but I'll try.

I have two little ones. I made it last season.

It's a huge life change but you'll get a groove and be able to get some games in. Likely won't be as many it that's ok, parenthood rocks.

I like being an uncle. You get to have all the fun of being a parent but none of the responsibility is on you!

Man, I'm just not feeling this event. Every game I play, I can't wait to be done with. I think maybe I just need a break from this.

Rommel

I like being an uncle. You get to have all the fun of being a parent but none of the responsibility is on you!

Man, I'm just not feeling this event. Every game I play, I can't wait to be done with. I think maybe I just need a break from this.

The event was a total grind. I needed 47 wins for Griffey. It was brutal

Rommel

Finished the Diamond Dynasty & Griffey program tonight. Lol at the 10 hits and 25 putouts with Joe Random in online play only. Looks like I'll be tanking in ranked to get some stats in.

I just hit 6-0 in BR. I've never been so pissed about a win.

I've got the Shawn Green epic up right now, you need to score 5 runs in a BR game as Epic I. I was up 3-0 in the bottom of the 2nd and then I smacked a 3 run homer---but my matchup quit while the ball was mid flight. The game didn't count the homer!!!

To make it worse, I get back to the screen and see that my 9 win reward is Jose Motherfucking Quintana. And my silver is a LS Didi Gregorious. This is literally the worst 3-6-9 reward possible.

Fuck.

bjork

I got this for my dad for Father's Day. The last Show he played was (I think) 07. Any tips for a guy getting back in after a long break?

I got this for my dad for Father's Day. The last Show he played was (I think) 07. Any tips for a guy getting back in after a long break?

I'd recommend putting the difficulty to dynamic on pitching and hitting to start, the game kind of adjusts to you as it goes on.

I can screenshot my settings for you if you want but for the most part I think most of it will become apparent to him what he wants.

Also, if you love him don't ever let him play Diamond Dynasty. Ever.

I hit a loss at game 7 in BR but sitting at 9-1, need 3 wins for a Noah Syndergaard
CHAPMAN
I drafted Jansen with my first pick, it's actually worked out fantastically....except for the one game where he blew a save in the bottom of the 3rd. But besides that, he's pretty much shut down the opposition every game and allowed me to win late.

Rommel

So I might have purchased 50 10 pack codes for a dollar each... I might have a pack opening problem lol

Apparently the Topps Series 2 packs can have them in it and card collectors are selling them off cheap. Well now that it has gotten out the price is going up a bit, but I might hit up a couple card shops around me and see if they just want to give them away.

19146024_10109802143627470_4820601481153083096_n_zpspuuo8ocb.jpg

Real talk though, that one loss fucking sucks now. Had a 3-1 lead and Jansen makes one mistake to a scrub...blah.

beanman25

As much as I love baseball, I may have to drop this game. I can't hit, at all. Even with all the help you guys have tried to offer.

I lose almost always, and it drives my depression up a wall. I even punched myself and gave myself a black eye a couple weeks ago after losing.

All that for sure goes deeper than just this game, but playing it certainly doesn't help.

So I might have purchased 50 10 pack codes for a dollar each... I might have a pack opening problem lol

Apparently the Topps Series 2 packs can have them in it and card collectors are selling them off cheap. Well now that it has gotten out the price is going up a bit, but I might hit up a couple card shops around me and see if they just want to give them away.

If you want to sell a few of those codes let me know

sh1fty

Where are you buying them? eBay or a specific hobby site?

Rommel

19146024_10109802143627470_4820601481153083096_n_zpspuuo8ocb.jpg

Real talk though, that one loss fucking sucks now. Had a 3-1 lead and Jansen makes one mistake to a scrub...blah.

Nice run. I'm too inconsistent for good BR runs it seems. I can beat a 1000 ranked WS player one game and then the next game lose to a 600 level.

Buy your Chapman yet?

Rommel

Where are you buying them? eBay or a specific hobby site?

Ebay, although people have come wise to it so it's gotten a bit pricier. Maybe you have a local card shop that might be willing to let you get some cheap if they have no use for them.

sh1fty

Ebay, although people have come wise to it so it's gotten a bit pricier. Maybe you have a local card shop that might be willing to let you get some cheap if they have no use for them.

Yeah I checked eBay and in CDN the prices are getting somewhat comparable to actually just buying the stubs outright.

Lucky you were able to get 500 packs :\

Nice run. I'm too inconsistent for good BR runs it seems. I can beat a 1000 ranked WS player one game and then the next game lose to a 600 level.

Buy your Chapman yet?

Haha nah not yet, I did sell my Murphy, but I've still got my Syndergaard and my Gwynn and I almost have the innings pitched mission, so should be up to about 210k at least if I were to sell them all now.

I thought about getting Cespedes and DeGrom to finish the Mets, but Saberhagen sucks and I'll have no use for David Wright when I make it back to WS and get the greatest card of all time in that 2006 Cabrera.

I figured these are my options...

A) Finish the Cubs, get Fergie
B) Add Gagne and Chapman
C) Add Chapman, Gossage, and IV Nolan Ryan
D) Also kind of looking at AS Niekro and PS Hamels as my 4/5 starters
E) Buy four 50-packs

Lots of nice things I can do!

Also, one of the biggest keys to this run I think was that I could trust Jansen every single game and I trusted him to carry me at least through the first 2-3 innings. There were several games where I could have pulled him out but elected to keep him in, in order to shut down the team down in the next inning, and it would usually work out.

I think a big thing is to find 2 super-reliable relievers, and it helps that Jansen is good against lefties too. On offense, I just got players who I knew I could hit with regardless of ratings, and just trusted I'd get enough runs to pull it out. It pretty much worked in all but one game that Jansen blew a lead...fuck, I could have gotten that Gagne for free!

Rommel

Haha nah not yet, I did sell my Murphy, but I've still got my Syndergaard and my Gwynn and I almost have the innings pitched mission, so should be up to about 210k at least if I were to sell them all now.

I thought about getting Cespedes and DeGrom to finish the Mets, but Saberhagen sucks and I'll have no use for David Wright when I make it back to WS and get the greatest card of all time in that 2006 Cabrera.

I figured these are my options...

A) Finish the Cubs, get Fergie
B) Add Gagne and Chapman
C) Add Chapman, Gossage, and IV Nolan Ryan
D) Also kind of looking at AS Niekro and PS Hamels as my 4/5 starters
E) Buy four 50-packs

Lots of nice things I can do!

Also, one of the biggest keys to this run I think was that I could trust Jansen every single game and I trusted him to carry me at least through the first 2-3 innings. There were several games where I could have pulled him out but elected to keep him in, in order to shut down the team down in the next inning, and it would usually work out.

I think a big thing is to find 2 super-reliable relievers, and it helps that Jansen is good against lefties too. On offense, I just got players who I knew I could hit with regardless of ratings, and just trusted I'd get enough runs to pull it out. It pretty much worked in all but one game that Jansen blew a lead...fuck, I could have gotten that Gagne for free!

E is always the answer.

Or C I guess

Fergie's H/9 and K/9 is what turns me away. Also what is the point of paying 160+ for Kris Bryant who is just going to sit on my bench the moment Miguel arrives?

Niekro and Hamels aren't LS cards so if I decide I don't like them I can always flip them back.

This BR team I have now has Goose. Getting a chance to use him.

I was 2-0 when I lost but I had a good feeling about my team. Just got to 9 wins and see Andrew Miller is the prize waiting for me.

LET'S
FUCKING
GO

I got Trea Turner at 9 which kind of sucks but hey, nothing to lose.....

Fuck I lost Because my starter let giambi, the first batter, hit an opposite field hr off a low curve . then couldn't capitalize :(

Would have been a great haul...

This has been my community for the last few months so I will announce I have a healthy boy who I will play The Show 32 with one day. Maybe he will skip the video game baseball and play the real thing!

This has been my community for the last few months so I will announce I have a healthy boy who I will play The Show 32 with one day. Maybe he will skip the video game baseball and play the real thing!

Congrats!

Start training that plate discipline right away. The youngster will learn to drag pitch counts into the hundreds by observation

Rommel

And put the ball in his left hand. We'll train him right!

Congratz!

sh1fty

Congrats bud! I have a 2 y.o. myself and the brainwashing is already in full swing, Baseball and Star Wars!

Tony Gwynn's price is slowly but surely going up!

So is everyone else's...

Man I wish I didn't fuck up that BR run yesterday, 3 more wins to Andrew Miller. But I've been hot there, and I do think part of it is that a lot of newer people are playing the game. From 6-1 onwards I played plenty of bronzes and silvers, but that might be because of the loss I took.

Im close to finishing the homerun and iv strikeout baller pack missions but I also want to keep plugging away at the event for Cano..... How much longer is the event?

sh1fty

Decided I'm selling my Corey Seager (which I got for free in the daily login reward) for 93 LS Arenado. They are around the same price right now.

This will allow me to complete the Rockies Collection and Epic for 89 Rookie Tulo and 95 Holliday. I liked Seager alot but this will improve my team overall by addressing both SS and 3B (my previous 3B plans were a mix of Justin Turner and HW Hanley).

Seager is playing pretty well IRL, but as a 90 he's skirting that edge of falling to a gold if he runs into a slump. Arenado and the Rockies are playing really well.

Rommel

Decided I'm selling my Corey Seager (which I got for free in the daily login reward) for 93 LS Arenado. They are around the same price right now.

This will allow me to complete the Rockies Collection and Epic for 89 Rookie Tulo and 95 Holliday. I liked Seager alot but this will improve my team overall by addressing both SS and 3B (my previous 3B plans were a mix of Justin Turner and HW Hanley).

Seager is playing pretty well IRL, but as a 90 he's skirting that edge of falling to a gold if he runs into a slump. Arenado and the Rockies are playing really well.

Not a bad option going with the Rockies. I would recommend the 98 Boggs. That guy just flat rakes. Since the patch he has been my best home run hitter. His PCI is the largest in the game and with 99 contact and 80+ power he just rips everything. Honestly my favorite 3B, even over Brett which I thought I'd never say. Makes the hits grind with him worth it. Although honestly his rookie card is pretty good too, same PCI and contact with just less power (still hit 18 HR's with him during the grind to 118 hits.)

Rommel

Finished the April POTM epic yesterday for Thames. They need to have a POTM for C so I can run a full team, kind of want to do a ranked run with only POTM cards.

alarre1

Neo Member
Does it feel like RTTS hitting is tougher than Franchise mode?

I have the same difficulty on both (Veteran), have maxed out hitting stats on my player but he seems to make far weaker contact than my team in Franchise mode.

I can probably bump up the sliders to compensate, but wanted to see if everyone is experiencing the same.

Have all previous events been 3 innings?

Thinking of just skipping this one. Just not in the mood to grind for Cano. I need 45 to get to 100 and like 40 more for Cano, sounds totally unfun. Since I rediscovered my BR swag yesterday I've only really wanted to do that...

Rommel

Have all previous events been 3 innings?

Thinking of just skipping this one. Just not in the mood to grind for Cano. I need 45 to get to 100 and like 40 more for Cano, sounds totally unfun. Since I rediscovered my BR swag yesterday I've only really wanted to do that...

Yah the 6 inning one is a complete grind. Didn't really like it. But I needed 50 event wins for Griffey so it had to be done.

First event was 3 innings, second event was 6 innings, third event was 3 innings, this event (4th) is 6.

I'll have to see if getting Cano for whatever he's worth is worth my time. Shit, one hot BR run and you can get a card that is as good or better, and you can do that within 4 hours...you can get like 8 wins in this event in that time.

Right before I went to the hospital, I sold Paul Molitor and Chapman. Put Kinsler back at second, bought Nolan Ryan and Zach Britton. Wanted Ryan after watching someone pitching with him on a stream and saw how dominant you can be if you mix that fastball and change up effectively. Thought Chapman cost too much for a one inning pitcher. I got to use Zach for two games with him and he was just as effective as last year for me.

Can't wait to play a game again. Still pretty passionate about it. I brought the iPad, comics, and all I do is watch MLB streams or videos in my free time.

Thanks for all the congrats!

Rommel

Right before I went to the hospital, I sold Paul Molitor and Chapman. Put Kinsler back at second, bought Nolan Ryan and Zach Britton. Wanted Ryan after watching someone pitching with him on a stream and saw how dominant you can be if you mix that fastball and change up effectively. Thought Chapman cost too much for a one inning pitcher. I got to use Zach for two games with him and he was just as effective as last year for me.

Can't wait to play a game again. Still pretty passionate about it. I brought the iPad, comics, and all I do is watch MLB streams or videos in my free time.

KoruptBaby is going to be better at zone hitting than you in no time. Teach him PCI placement young!

Who are the lefties that reside in your bullpen?

Right now I've got IV Wagner. People seem to prefer this version because it has a change up.

I usually like to have 4 righties, 3 lefties, but boy are lefties overpriced (Like Chapman) Part of me wants to just get Chapman so I complete the Yankees but Posada and his slow speed and shitty defense don't really turn me on.

And I'm thinking of getting that 89 Neshek instead of a Gossage or Gagne...I remember how annoying that bastard was to face last year lol.

That Nolan card does look sexy though, and I suspect that might be the best version of him

You have more free time to open packs now!

Nothing infuriates me more than dumb ass base runners who don't move when they should, then when you tell them to GO GO GO it takes them 3 seconds to start going and another 3 seconds to retreat

What the fuck

Who are the lefties that reside in your bullpen?

Right now I've got IV Wagner. People seem to prefer this version because it has a change up.

I usually like to have 4 righties, 3 lefties, but boy are lefties overpriced (Like Chapman) Part of me wants to just get Chapman so I complete the Yankees but Posada and his slow speed and shitty defense don't really turn me on.

And I'm thinking of getting that 89 Neshek instead of a Gossage or Gagne...I remember how annoying that bastard was to face last year lol.

That Nolan card does look sexy though, and I suspect that might be the best version of him

You have more free time to open packs now!

Rocking Veteran Billy Wagner, the silver Pirates lefty that throws 98 and Britton. I'll just list my team because I'm bored

Starting lineup.

Gwynn, Dawson, Harper, CAP, Votto, Headley, Seager, Kinsler, Pitcher.

Bench.

92 Pollock, Rizzo, D. Murphy, Correa, 91 Werth.

Rotation.

Sale, Ryan, Scherzer, Strausburg, 86 Oliver Perez

Don't sleep on that Perez card. Actually my best pitcher. His per 9's are crazy good and his delivery is so hard to read. Diamond quality pitcher. The stats he is low in are stats that have no bearing on H2H games.

Bullpen.

Iglasias, Strickland, Feliz, Rivero, Hughes, Wagner, Britton.

So yeah this just happened in extra innings in events, in that same game where my base runners failed to have a working brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhuWFAcf07U

It's going to be painful to watch. I know where I messed up now, but wow.

Never have I screamed at the game louder. Good thing I have a light stress ball around me because I just chucked that fucker against the floor so hard. Good thing my dog was around to soften me up because for a moment he thought I was mad at him so I had to make sure he knew that wasn't the case. (My dog thinks I'm a crazy fuck because of this game)

Rocking Veteran Billy Wagner, the silver Pirates lefty that throws 98 and Britton. I'll just list my team because I'm bored

Starting lineup.

Gwynn, Dawson, Harper, CAP, Votto, Headley, Seager, Kinsler, Pitcher.

Bench.

92 Pollock, Rizzo, D. Murphy, Correa, 91 Werth.

Rotation.

Sale, Ryan, Scherzer, Strausburg, 86 Oliver Perez

Don't sleep on that Perez card. Actually my best pitcher. His per 9's are crazy good and his delivery is so hard to read. Diamond quality pitcher. The stats he is low in are stats that have no bearing on H2H games.

Bullpen.

Iglasias, Strickland, Feliz, Rivero, Hughes, Wagner, Britton.

I think that Pirates lefty is Felipe Rivero lol

New bases loaded pack today. Fuck it, I've got the stubs, why the hell not.
bad idea

Top Bottom