• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Holy shit Kris Bryant's price went up.

I feel like I made a huge mistake selling the 66k in assets I had all for packs...which got me a veteran Bruce Sutter and Greg Holland.

I should've just bought the rest of the Cubs, waited for the stuff next week, then went in on Kris Bryant. Then I'd have Fergie.

BLAH

Keep making the same dumb mistake over and over again with these packs...and then I have to do the tedious shit of selling useless cards and equipment just so I'm not totally broke...

beanman25

genuinely at a loss in regards to hitting.

I know everyone says Zone, zone, zone. but It's been 3 years and I've gotten almost no better with PCI control. Bought kontrol freeks, a monitor, and it still hasn't helped. And losing constantly just drives my depression insane.

Been having much more fun with directional thankfully. Seems to be much more my speed.

I know everyone says Zone, zone, zone. but It's been 3 years and I've gotten almost no better with PCI control. Bought kontrol freeks, a monitor, and it still hasn't helped. And losing constantly just drives my depression insane.

Been having much more fun with directional thankfully. Seems to be much more my speed.

Maybe stream a game and let us observe?

Also, hard as shit to get into these event games. keep getting challenge failed or something along those lines.

If using zone, what would you consider the best spot in the zone for you to hit? What is the weakest? I can tell you my approach and see if it helps. The problem with any other type of hitting other than zone is you are adding more dice rolls to your game. You are leaving if you get a hit or not more up to the game.

There is one pitch that I'm weak against and don't want to get beat on and that is a high and inside fastball. This is where my PCI starts every pitch.

I have now eliminated the weakest part of my game and can adjust from there. By starting high and inside, low is now my weakest and it's much easier flicking an analog stick down than up.

So the next part is the hardest part and takes the most practice and that's pitch recognition. So I have my PCI high and in and I'm watching the pitcher wind up, watching his throwing arm, and I'm watching the ball about to release from his hand. The ball is released and everything I'm about to say happens in fractions of seconds that it seems impossible but it is. You know why? Because if you are looking for a fastball, you can pull and kill someone in the stands because you were still early. So here is the process.

Is the ball going to go high and inside where my PCI already is?

If yes, access speed and swing.

Most of the time is no though so here is where lots of decisions happen in fractions of time. Trajectory is the most important thing to watch. Watch the pitch and watch his windup and watch it come out of his hand and try to imagine the trajectory right out of the hand. Getting good at that is key number 1 to getting good pitches to hit. If you can work counts, you increase the chances of getting mistake pitches.

So instead of me filling your head with all these things that are supposed to process in a second, I want you to go put it on zone hitting, PCI on Wedge, and want you to play a game on All-Star. I don't want you to swing at a pitch until you have 2 strikes in the count on every batter for 5 innings. I want you to watch every pitch, and I want you to talk to yourself what every pitch was after it was thrown. So fastball low and in, say fastball low and in. Just start taking in info. Once you hit the 2 strikes, I want you to look for a pitch in a certain spot in the zone and just adjust on the fly if it doesn't go there. Just see the ball, hit the ball while protecting because you know you have 2 strikes.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, Korupt.

Just to add on --- ANYBODY you play, make it a point to get to 2 strikes as much as possible, especially early on in the game. Few reasons for this:

1. It can start to wear on your opponent mentally, and you also drive up the pitch count on his starter.

2. Study what your opponent does in certain counts. The more you take it to two strikes, the more you see tendencies. Does he tend to throw a fastball or breaking ball on strike one? If he gets you to an 0-1 count, is that next pitch a throwaway pitch or does he try to get you to two strikes as quickly as possible? And if it's the latter, is the second pitch of the AB a breaking ball in the zone or a fastball? Tendencies will ALWAYS reveal themselves---people have a comfort zone of what they like to do and when. Start getting used to what people will do when they're ahead/behind...

3. Which leads me to this: I actually feel at my most comfortable when I'm in a 2 strike count, even if it's 0-2. Because you KNOW they have to throw a strike. This is when you start seeing what their go-to strikeout pitches are, and very often they're balls because they don't want you to hit it well. With that being said, the really good pitchers are excellent at throwing you off here and putting it in a pinpoint location---what gets me sometimes is I'll assume they'll throw a breaking ball trying to get me out on two strikes, but sometimes the classic fastball in the corner gets me frozen.

Sorry if my stuff sounds like a jumbled unorganized mess, tried to get whatever tips I can in there. But this is why I am able to make these really big late inning comebacks sometimes---by the last 1/3 of the game, I have them all scouted out and I often have a good idea of what they'll throw before they do.

Clutchman

Neo Member
Couldn't have said it any better myself, Korupt.

Just to add on --- ANYBODY you play, make it a point to get to 2 strikes as much as possible, especially early on in the game. Few reasons for this:

1. It can start to wear on your opponent mentally, and you also drive up the pitch count on his starter.

2. Study what your opponent does in certain counts. The more you take it to two strikes, the more you see tendencies. Does he tend to throw a fastball or breaking ball on strike one? If he gets you to an 0-1 count, is that next pitch a throwaway pitch or does he try to get you to two strikes as quickly as possible? And if it's the latter, is the second pitch of the AB a breaking ball in the zone or a fastball? Tendencies will ALWAYS reveal themselves---people have a comfort zone of what they like to do and when. Start getting used to what people will do when they're ahead/behind...

3. Which leads me to this: I actually feel at my most comfortable when I'm in a 2 strike count, even if it's 0-2. Because you KNOW they have to throw a strike. This is when you start seeing what their go-to strikeout pitches are, and very often they're balls because they don't want you to hit it well. With that being said, the really good pitchers are excellent at throwing you off here and putting it in a pinpoint location---what gets me sometimes is I'll assume they'll throw a breaking ball trying to get me out on two strikes, but sometimes the classic fastball in the corner gets me frozen.

Sorry if my stuff sounds like a jumbled unorganized mess, tried to get whatever tips I can in there. But this is why I am able to make these really big late inning comebacks sometimes---by the last 1/3 of the game, I have them all scouted out and I often have a good idea of what they'll throw before they do.
I had a guy concede to me in the 6th inning and the score was only 2-0. I kept mixing up pitches down and in, up and out. Curves in the dirt and cutters in on the hands. Its all about psychology when it comes to pitching and wearing down the hitters mentally. You need to keep your opponent on his toes and never give in. One more thing, never give up an easy homerun to the pitcher by throwing a meatball down the middle. It'll come back to burn you sooner or later. Pitch everybody accordingly and don't take any pitches off. I use analog pitching btw and I find the control to be almost pinpoint at times.

I had a guy concede to me in the 6th inning and the score was only 2-0. I kept mixing up pitches down and in, up and out. Curves in the dirt and cutters in on the hands. Its all about psychology when it comes to pitching and wearing down the hitters mentally. You need to keep your opponent on his toes and never give in. One more thing, never give up an easy homerun to the pitcher by throwing a meatball down the middle. It'll come back to burn you sooner or later. Pitch everybody accordingly and don't take any pitches off. I use analog pitching btw and I find the control to be almost pinpoint at times.

I also use analog.

You'll run into people who are excellent pitchers, but as always, BE PATIENT. Everybody makes mistakes and you have to capitalize when the time comes.

For example, clutchman talked about using some pitches that are classic outs in the strike zone (cutters in on the hands, low curveball in dirt, etc) but I think I speak for us all when I say we've thrown pitches where we think once we release "oh fuck, not where I wanted that, please don't destroy this cutter I know is too much in the middle" those are the ones you want.

And in this game, all it takes is one hit and things can start snowballing

Also just saw this in reddit, had a nice laugh but was curious how you guys approach this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow...ip_pick_off_every_time_your_opponent_takes_a/

Somebody bitching about people who attempt a pick off when you take a lead. There's not much punishment for people who do this repeatedly, this person complains.

-----

Lately I've been throwing over if I see somebody taking any kind of lead. I'll happily do that dance as long as I need. Did it for ten minutes straight with someone till he got the message and stopped.

This is my reasoning : base stealing is still too easy. And the base runner rarely gets punished for taking a step and trying to go. It usually only works when you pick them off the same time they try to run. But it's still too easy. If I don't do this, they get steals.

I hate having to do it, but I've let runners take a leads, yet my slide step and a fastball outside doesn't do much most of the time.

It's just really unbalanced and I don't have any choice, I feel. I know I'm being a turd constantly throwing over, but they're being equally turdy knowing they have a huge advantage on the basepaths and keep trying to exploit it more.

Me and this matchup couldn't score at all in an events game.

The 9th comes and I put in K-Rod. Suddenly he's hitting bombs left and right.

Huh

Just saw this on reddit, I guess this was from a live stream before it came out...

cabre_zpsjfkswlj9.png

I will literally go to the end of the earth to get that Cabrera card

Got

Damn

How did you farm those assists?

soooooooooooo I can't get into any games. GG SDS

Got into a game. Was destroying this clown in events. Then my power goes out as we head into the sixth inning 🙄

Rommel

Got

Damn

How did you farm those assists?

soooooooooooo I can't get into any games. GG SDS

Got into a game. Was destroying this clown in events. Then my power goes out as we head into the sixth inning 🙄

I have hardware Hamlet at 3rd, Corzat at SS and Correa at 2nd. Adds up fairly quickly

ahhh I forgot you can use SS in all other spots

Well, when that Cabrera program comes out you bet your ass I'm doing whatever the fuck it takes...lol

so i noticed that people in this game do the same stupid thing that managers in real life do, which is wait until you have the lead on the road to bring your best reliever in. i played an 11 inning events game and i kept choking with runners on base against the crappy relievers he was bringing in (he didn't use the tanked rotation strategy). he takes a 1 run lead in the 11th and out comes clippard. i was so mad that i had let him off the hook before that.

Rommel

Finally finished Boggs... woo what a grind... Haven't had a chance to play with his card yet though.

20 more event wins and then I'm done with Griffey... pace might slow down since I'm rolling with an interesting lineup now that I have the Ozzie player epic. 100 hits should go quickly with an all S lineup.

I have the Luis Gonzalez and Shawn Green daily missions

I'm guessing these are an actual grind and that I can't sell them if I got them...

Rommel

I have the Luis Gonzalez and Shawn Green daily missions

I'm guessing these are an actual grind and that I can't sell them if I got them...

Half way to Ozzie but the challenge servers are so screwed up that I'm done playing for the day.

I'm half way through the assists for IV Hanley, need to finish my events missions. I really hate the 6 inning games.

I should jump back into events when it's 3 innings.

That was a great time.

Have they all been 3 innings except for this one?

Part of me wants to do it just to get my 100 over with, but I also think when the next one comes out that I'll want in on those cumulative rewards lol

I mean, all you gotta do is win 40 games and you can cash out pretty nicely. I would have no intention of keeping that Cano

I was hellbent on getting Chapman, but we'll see what my diamond reward is and how much we can sell Tony Gwynn for...Eric Gagne in my sights!

Up to 933 in ranked. I pulled another Votto and bought Seager again and play him at second. I have figured out I'm way better lefty on lefty than I am righty vs righty.

Tempted to get a potm pack ...

3/5 chance for profit....kind of....

Sold out now

I was just playing someone and had the game under control and suddenly my opponent starts hitting soft flares between 2nd base and my outfielders, like 4 of the next 6 batters did it and he scored a bunch of runs..........he was ranked in the 700s, was he using contact swing?

make sure you have the CQC Convex Kontrol. freek grip. You don't want one of those taller ones that are ridiculous (I think they are for FPS games or something). Remember, the longer the ride height on the thumb stick, the longer reaction times. So you want a grip with a low ride height.

Damn what was his team like?

What did you notice that made him good?

I find the top players basically swing at no balls and anything you put in the zone, they hit hard as hell.

Damn what was his team like?

What did you notice that made him good?

I find the top players basically swing at no balls and anything you put in the zone, they hit hard as hell.

I am curious how people get that good.

Strike zone discipline. I couldn't him to get to swing at anything out of the zone and made hitting balls in the zone look effortless. I bet those 6 losses came from variable umpires screwing up the strike zone on him.

Those are tough people to face. Not only do you need pinpoint location, but you also have to win the rock-paper-scissor battle and hope you catch them off-guard in every at bat.

Is the Cove season ending in minutes?

Wait, is it!? I thought it was tomorrow

Fuck, maybe I shouldn't go get food then. Although I guess whatever low tier diamond I get, is probably not a good idea to sell now.

What are you guys gonna do with your Gwynn, keep him? I don't really need him in my outfield (Cutch is just fine) and I'd probably sell him and get something else or to help save towards something else.
But All-Star missions are coming up, this is an All-Star card, and his value may skyrocket later.

Rommel

Wait, is it!? I thought it was tomorrow

Fuck, maybe I shouldn't go get food then. Although I guess whatever low tier diamond I get, is probably not a good idea to sell now.

What are you guys gonna do with your Gwynn, keep him? I don't really need him in my outfield (Cutch is just fine) and I'd probably sell him and get something else or to help save towards something else.
But All-Star missions are coming up, this is an All-Star card, and his value may skyrocket later.

It closes later tonight.

The next Ranked Season goes live today and offers a new set of exclusive rewards. Season Cove runs four weeks from Tuesday, May 16 to Monday, June 12 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

Good luck with your pulls today. May you be rewarded with a card like Arenado and Votto and not Wade Davis or Craig Kimbrel. I am personally hoping for Chapman...

....What exactly do we get again? Gwynn, guaranteed diamond, that's it?

Good luck with your pulls today. May you be rewarded with a card like Arenado and Votto and not Wade Davis or Craig Kimbrel. I am personally hoping for Chapman...

....What exactly do we get again? Gwynn, guaranteed diamond, that's it?

Gwynn and a 90-93 diamond.

Edit. I've also changed my team up some because why not try new things. Lindor was amazing in the field but I was hitting about .280 with him and just wasn't hitting for any power. Just a singles hitter. Sold him and picked up 94 Chase Headley to replace Buddy Bell who wasn't performing, moved Seager back to SS and put Kinsler back at second. With the addition of Gwynn today, my lineup will be.

Gwynn
Dawson
Harper
CAP
Votto
Headley
Seager
Kinsler
Pitcher

Bench
92 Pollock
91 Werth