• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 2016 |OT| Always looking to go deep

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
As a Canadian who's only following Baseball when the Jay's are in the playoffs and only want to have some fun with a baseball game from time to time should I bother with MLB 16 or 15 is good enough? The only Baseball game I remember playing is Wii Sports. Never tried The Show

Are the improvements substantial enough to spend the extra money (80$ vs 35$)?

So sounds like the handful of replies I've gotten to the above monstrosity could be summarized as:

- It's more noob-friendly than before but still will frustrate hugely if you go into it thoughtlessly. With a judicious approach, a baseball-loving noob will play the game with pleasure.

- Road To The Show is a fun and great mode which ALSO sidesteps some of the noob-killing gameplay elements like team base running.

- Use zone hitting for maximum noob-friendliness.

Is that about right, oh MLB experts? If so, did I miss anything?

Yes, with the caveat that zone hitting is the most friendly hitting mode in terms of timing your swing, not necessarily overall. As I mentioned before, if you go up to bat with no plan it will usually not go so well. But if you have a plan and stick to it, you'll do well - at least well enough that you won't be frustrated.

Saganator

I've come around and have started to put breaking pitches in play at least and not striking out like I did before. Still can't hit the change up tho. As far I can see there's no tells against that pitch I'm out in front every time. Any tips on how to handle change-ups? I refuse to use guess pitch by the way.

Best way to deal with change ups is to not swing at them. I don't know how familiar you are with baseball, but a change up (and off speed in general) is a pretty situational pitch. Know when to expect one, lay off if you can. Same goes with pretty much any off speed, don't swing if you can. My RTTS guy is tearing it up in AAA right now, I pretty much just take pitches until I see the one I want (belt high and up fastball or slider).

You generally won't see a change on the first pitch. It's usually used after a couple fastballs as a strike out pitch or to get you to ground out. Double play situation? Good chance you'll see a low change up or sinker. If it's a pitchers count (0-1, 0-2, 1-2, 2-2), your chances of seeing a change up go way up. There are some pitchers who throw a lot of change ups, though, so watch out for those guys.

You can refuse to use the guess pitch feature within the game, doesn't mean you have to stop actually guessing what pitch is coming based on the situation. To really "deal" with change ups, you need to work counts into your favor so you see less of them, even the best get chewed up by off speed pitches in unfavorable counts. And then practice just not swinging at shit like a low change, guaranteed ground out 3 of 4 times.

As a Canadian who's only following Baseball when the Jay's are in the playoffs and only want to have some fun with a baseball game from time to time should I bother with MLB 16 or 15 is good enough? The only Baseball game I remember playing is Wii Sports. Never tried The Show

Are the improvements substantial enough to spend the extra money (80$ vs 35$)?

Do you plan on playing Road to the Show mode? If so, I strongly recommend '16 as the time you'll save not sitting there waiting for loading screens is worth the extra money if you ask me! You can play a 4 game series in about 20-30 mins in RTTS mode.

The Beard

Was the user interface this slow last year? 14' was the last one I played and that was also slow as fuck, but I figured it was because it was the first year on PS4.

This is like first gen Smart TV slow. It's terrible.

Best way to deal with change ups is to not swing at them. I don't know how familiar you are with baseball, but a change up (and off speed in general) is a pretty situational pitch. Know when to expect one, lay off if you can. Same goes with pretty much any off speed, don't swing if you can. My RTTS guy is tearing it up in AAA right now, I pretty much just take pitches until I see the one I want (belt high and up fastball or slider).

You generally won't see a change on the first pitch. It's usually used after a couple fastballs as a strike out pitch or to get you to ground out. Double play situation? Good chance you'll see a low change up or sinker. If it's a pitchers count (0-1, 0-2, 1-2, 2-2), your chances of seeing a change up go way up. There are some pitchers who throw a lot of change ups, though, so watch out for those guys.

You can refuse to use the guess pitch feature within the game, doesn't mean you have to stop actually guessing what pitch is coming based on the situation. To really "deal" with change ups, you need to work counts into your favor so you see less of them, even the best get chewed up by off speed pitches in unfavorable counts. And then practice just not swinging at shit like a low change, guaranteed ground out 3 of 4 times.

No, totally you're right. And yes I'm very familiar with the sport of baseball. I usually know when they're coming but I still can't get the bat on the ball.

Certain pitchers throw power changeups (like Syndergaard) and that completely throws me off.

I haven't played an MLB The Show game in a long time (2010 Joe Mauer cover boy was the last time I played a full season) but this year more than any the game requires you to pay attention. I grind out abs, try to get a good pitch to hit.

It feels like a chess game, and many times I strike out looking because if I don't get the pitch I want I'll usually lay off.

Awesome game, I'm 10-4 with my Mets and my pitching dynamic difficulty has hit Legend and my hitting is currently at all-star+.

Also tragic, saganator and everyone else thank you for all the tips.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, totally you're right. And yes I'm very familiar with the sport of baseball. I usually know when they're coming but I still can't get the bat on the ball.

Certain pitchers throw power changeups (like Syndergaard) and that completely throws me off.

I haven't played an MLB The Show game in a long time (2010 Joe Mauer cover boy was the last time I played a full season) but this year more than any the game requires you to pay attention. I grind out abs, try to get a good pitch to hit.

It feels like a chess game, and many times I strike out looking because if I don't get the pitch I want I'll usually lay off.

Awesome game, I'm 10-4 with my Mets and my partner pitching has hit Legend and my hitting is currently at all-star+.

Also tragic, saganator and everyone else thank you for all the tips.

You said it right. One of the the many beautiful things about the gameplay in this amazing series, is that they captured the Pitcher vs. Batter chess game brilliantly.

GRaider81

Was the user interface this slow last year? 14' was the last one I played and that was also slow as fuck, but I figured it was because it was the first year on PS4.

Yeah its pretty bad. I had the game before release and it was great before they turned the servers on!

Well damn. That's why my RTTS center fielder is hitting .500 with 20 home runs in the first month of the season. I'm on dynamic. Better switch to All Star.

Not at all. It was great last year. Something is seriously wrong in this version.

Instantly moving to the next RTTS game helps, but moving around the menus is trash. Hopefully it can be patched.

Saganator

I think people need to keep in mind that baseball is a sport where you can fail 70% of the time at the plate and be one of the best players. It might feel like you're doing shitty, but you're probably doing alright. Like the guy complaining about all the double plays he hits into, but then states his amazing win/loss record.

Also if you're actually sucking then don't feel bad for dropping the difficulty down, especially if you're not the type of person who sticks with games for a long time. If you're gonna get 20-40 hours out of this over the next couple weeks and never play again, drop it to rookie and pretend you're a baseball god instead of cursing at the screen.

If you do want to get good at hitting, your first step is to not swing at at the first pitch. And then condition yourself to only swinging at pitches you can actually drive, just because it looks like a strike doesn't mean you should swing.

Approach each at bat like a hitter would IRL. At the start of each at bat you should have some sort of goal, sometimes it's as simple as not hitting a ground ball. If there is 1 out and a guy on 1st, your main goal is to move the guy over to 2nd, to accomplish this you need to avoid hitting a ground ball at all costs, therefore you tell yourself not to swing at anything low or off-speed, even if that means getting a pop fly or striking out. A real coach would see that you're doing your best to avoid a double play and move the runner over. You coach would be furious if you hit into a double play by swinging at a low change up and still had pitches to work with.

These are some the intricacies of baseball that I love, and I think why so many baseball fans love The Show, however people with out a deep understanding of the game suffer. In games like Madden, anyone good at video games can figure out which plays work and be pretty good at the game with out knowing much about football. With The Show, if you can't figure out that swinging at the first pitch is a bad idea, then you're destined to not be very good.

Dynamic difficulty works better if you notch the slider up. However my bats have gone cold for the Tigers. We ain't hitting worth shit.

So I currently switched hitting to Veteran and pitching to All Star but I might go back to Dynamic but my bats are super cold right now.

So I'm gonna get this but can't figure out which position I wanna play, I played 3rd in mlb 13 that was ok. I was thinking outfield this time but I'm watching a stream now and SS looks like it might be fun. What do you guys recommend, also I'm a beginner still.

Definitely gonna try to get on the Mariners.

So in RTTS, is there no way to get the side-step pitch and catcher's signs without turning off the Showtime thing? That seems like a really stupid design choice.

Nyx

After thinking of buying the previous two entries but never actually doing it, I just caved and bought 16 in the EU store.

Hope RTTS is enjoyable, it sure seems like it even though I'm not following the MLB at all.
But did always like baseball videogames and like the same kind of mode in other sports games so let's see. :)

With The Show, if you can't figure out that swinging at the first pitch is a bad idea, then you're destined to not be very good.

Definitely keeping this in mind haha.

oatmeal

Banned
Starting pitcher, great first year making my way to AAA and doing really well.

Next season? AA BULLPEN

fuck you Twins

BPK

How is the lag in the online play this year? That's the only mode I play and every year I pass on the game because the lag is so bad.

RdN

How is the lag in the online play this year? That's the only mode I play and every year I pass on the game because the lag is so bad.

It's bad, like always.

I just don't understand. HOW CAN THEY BE SO INCOMPETENT!?

A functioning netcode is a minimum a game must have! But here we are, 10 years later and still fucking nothing.

Nyx

Won the opening game (when it's installing) with 4-0 and had 13 hits and several strike outs as pitcher.

I think I'm going to play on this difficulty for awhile, it was lots of fun!

edit: Got picked up as 10th draft pick by the Chicago Whitesox as 1st base player in RTTS!

edit2: 15 games in the Minor League played so far, really having a good time. It's really great that you can play a couple of games in a row without ever leaving to the main menu.

Also as an absolute beginner I think it's great that there's so many difficulty options and I love the showtime effect and 'QTE' event when you're making a diving catch f.e.

Surely you experts must have turned stuff like that off but for new players I think it's a great feature.

One thing bugs me though, there seems to be no audio from the controller at all while it is turned on in the options and the volume is high enough.

Is it perhaps because I only have been playing RTTS ?

Anyway, happy with my purchase!

ukas

It's bad, like always.

I just don't understand. HOW CAN THEY BE SO INCOMPETENT!?

A functioning netcode is a minimum a game must have! But here we are, 10 years later and still fucking nothing.

The weird pause before the bat makes contact with the ball is the only problem I've had online.

packy34

So I was still in the middle of the 2015 season in RTTS when I transferred my save to this game. I finished it up, and now when I try to sim the offseason/move on to the next, the game consistently crashes. I can not progress with my RTTS player until there is a patch. Has this happened to anyone else? I've been using this save since 14 if that matters.

WatTsu

Bought some packs on the Show Nation site and they came up as PS3 packs. Will these still work with PS4 or do I need to contact tech support? I didn't open them.

Edit: Never mind. Brought them up on the actual game and they worked fine.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So fun...

Game was working for me online this morning and actually got my first play now ranked game to work.

They took the servers down earlier and some people are playing without problems now, but I can't do anything but play battting practice mode wtf I get this screen with everything

0LLV537.jpg

It's bad enough I can't connect to play online, but I can't even play offline shit.

Never ever have I had issues with Show online like others. Karma is a bitch a guess. This makes 2K's servers seem good.

Nyx

Any tips on stealing bases?

Most of the times I'm getting caught.
I know that I need to find that sweet spot just before the pitching animation starts, but I'm having a hard time finding it.

With simming inbetween I got to the 2nd season of RTTS and have been playing for the triple A team since half of last season.

Really enjoying that mode, in fact I havent even tried the others yet. It's just casual fun batting and fielding for 30-60 mins and upgrading my player!

Oh and pitchers don't get to bat, right? Or am I mistaken?

Wanted to make a pitcher next time but I sure love batting.

IvanJ

Banned
Any tips on stealing bases?

Most of the times I'm getting caught.
I know that I need to find that sweet spot just before the pitching animation starts, but I'm having a hard time finding it.

With simming inbetween I got to the 2nd season of RTTS and have been playing for the triple A team since half of last season.

Really enjoying that mode, in fact I havent even tried the others yet. It's just casual fun batting and fielding for 30-60 mins and upgrading my player!

Oh and pitchers don't get to bat, right? Or am I mistaken?

Wanted to make a pitcher next time but I sure love batting.

Increase your speed and base stealing stats, in my case I noticed if they are under 70 I get caught more often than not. Before the pitch, I take one step forward (R1), then run as soon as the pitching motion starts. Once I got my stats to 75+, I was almost uncatchable. Also, I never attempt to steal on lefties, I just have a tougher time reading their motions.

Pitchers bat only in the National League (although I am not certain if that applies to minor leagues as well). American League replaces them with designated hitters.

So fun...

Game was working for me online this morning and actually got my first play now ranked game to work.

They took the servers down earlier and some people are playing without problems now, but I can't do anything but play battting practice mode wtf I get this screen with everything

0LLV537.jpg

It's bad enough I can't connect to play online, but I can't even play offline shit.

Never ever have I had issues with Show online like others. Karma is a bitch a guess. This makes 2K's servers seem good.

I had some issues with the servers over the last couple of days. I was still able to play everything outside the online modes just fine though.

Nyx

Increase your speed and base stealing stats, in my case I noticed if they are under 70 I get caught more often than not. Before the pitch, I take one step forward (R1), then run as soon as the pitching motion starts. Once I got my stats to 75+, I was almost uncatchable. Also, I never attempt to steal on lefties, I just have a tougher time reading their motions.

Pitchers bat only in the National League (although I am not certain if that applies to minor leagues as well). American League replaces them with designated hitters.

I think my speed is at 70 and stealing at 60, so I guess I need some more training then.

And thanks for the explanation on pitchers!

To piggy back off the last poster, any tips for better fielding reactions (like what is the tip off trying to relay to me) and the differences between pitch types?

watdaeff4

Ok, I picked up the MVP edition, and redeemed the code online for all the "extras" with that edition, but they aren't showing up for me.....I'm a dummy, where do I need to go to actually download these extras to my PS4?

Thanks in advance.......

Couleurs

According to a post on OS, everyone is getting 5K stubs + 10 packs for the server issues. It'll be going out in waves and everyone should have them by the 12th

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
According to a post on OS, everyone is getting 5K stubs + 10 packs for the server issues. It'll be going out in waves and everyone should have them by the 12th

Oh nice. My RTTS player will be a beast :eek:

Ok, I picked up the MVP edition, and redeemed the code online for all the "extras" with that edition, but they aren't showing up for me.....I'm a dummy, where do I need to go to actually download these extras to my PS4?

Thanks in advance.......

After redeeming the codes on the ps4 store you need to go to the store in the game and claim them. Its pretty stupid. You will see like the one that is 5,000 stubs and a few packs will say Claim (or whatever verbage) instead of Purchase.

Top Bottom