• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

Ohhhh so NOW that was a fight Weidman was supposed to win ? Smh 🤦🏼*♂️

Besides a flash knock down that was an impressive win, he even started backing Kelvin up with shots standing. All around dominated that fight id say.

Oscar

In Weidman's defense, he looked decent in his last 3 losses up until he lost. People only care about the end result, especially if they end in brutal fashion like his were.

pixelation

CGI face

DFYz5O-VwAEuaPf.jpg:large

Dang... faces look really weird when hit.

I hate The Chris, god bothering boring wrestlefuck cunt that he is. He's always been overrated and that win was against a dude much smaller primarily known as a striker who he had a 7" reach advantage over and he still almost got KO'ed. Fucking wide man.

N° 2048

Chris is just hard to get behind.

He's humble but then says stupid fucking shit like calling out Bisping or saying "he's the real champ" when you just lost fucking three in a row.

pixelation

Ohhhh so NOW that was a fight Weidman was supposed to win ? Smh ����*♂️

Besides a flash knock down that was an impressive win, he even started backing Kelvin up with shots standing. All around dominated that fight id say.

I'm seeing that in a lot of places, not by the editiorial staff. But the posters replying on articles and it's stupid as fuck. Look... no one forced Fats-telum to take the fight, if he has issues reigning in his weight that's on him. Fights are made on weight and that's all that counts height and reach differences be damned, don't like your luck?, being matched with taller guys?, then make whatever adjustments are needed and lose the weight you need to go down a weight class. Weidman beat a guy his same weight and that's that.

The pace on these tv events is always horrible. They have to do something about it. Nobody is going to sit around for 2-3 hours to watch 4 fights, only one of which has recognizable names.

The pace on these tv events is always horrible. They have to do something about it. Nobody is going to sit around for 2-3 hours to watch 4 fights, only one of which has recognizable names.

And the one with recognizable stars involves a fighter that was on a three match losing streak. The UFC in general has done a bad job of marketing their fighters. Especially since the buyout. They'd once pinned their hopes on Rousey, and look where that put them. Now they're all on board with McGregor, but he's about to get that retirement money. If he actually did walk away after the Mayweather fight and Jones somehow loses to Cormier, who do they have left?

If it weren't for a dvr the ufc tv broadcast events would be unwatchable. Wayyyyy too many commercials and filler. I can't remember which event it was recently - Chiesa vs Lee or maybe the TUF finale but it was over 40 minutes between the end of the co-main event and the start of the main event fight.

And the one with recognizable stars involves a fighter that was on a three match losing streak. The UFC in general has done a bad job of marketing their fighters. Especially since the buyout. They'd once pinned their hopes on Rousey, and look where that put them. Now they're all on board with McGregor, but he's about to get that retirement money. If he actually did walk away after the Mayweather fight and Jones somehow loses to Cormier, who do they have left?

MMA is the fastest moving sport in the world. There will be somebody that will become the face of the sport. It happens so quick. Today hero tomorrow zero.
The company doesnt know what they are doing at times it seems. Even though hes washed up they could have tried to keep Wanderlei for these fight nights because his name is still so huge.

They let Mousasi go. Rory...

And they need to assemble a team that scouts MMA heavyweights exclusively because they need some.

The company has done a crap job marketing stars.

Even Jones vs DC has no buzz.

That's honestly for the best. The last time they were promoting that fight, it was at the top of their intentionally-largest highest-promoted biggest event ever, and Jones couldn't avoid fucking it up for everyone at the last possible moment again

Best thing to do right now is not give him the chance to ruin everything at the last moment again again

ApharmdX

Banned
MMA is the fastest moving sport in the world. There will be somebody that will become the face of the sport. It happens so quick. Today hero tomorrow zero.
The company doesnt know what they are doing at times it seems. Even though hes washed up they could have tried to keep Wanderlei for these fight nights because his name is still so huge.

And they need to assemble a team that scouts MMA heavyweights exclusively because they need some.

At the current pay scale in MMA you are not going to get many good American heavyweights. Big athletic guys will go into either football or the NBA where they can make a lot more money. Boxing kind of has the same problem; you don't see a lot of great American HWs now either. It really stinks because I would much rather watch HWs but that's the reality of it.

THe problem for them and their tv deal is that those stars are almost never on TV. There was an interesting discussion about this a couple of Bill Simmons podcasts ago, where he had some TV people on to talk about the state of ESPN, and how everyone assumes ESPN will be in on the UFC, but with the UFC you are paying for the TV deal knowing you are getting their B and sometimes C product. It'd be like paying for an NBA tv deal knowing you can't televise the Warriors, Cavs, Celtics, Spurs, Rockets, Knicks, Heat, Lakers or Clippers.

They are never going to have the truly "big names" on tv or basic cable, but if they tightened their production and streamlined those shows, and if you could bank on seeing 3-4 fights in 90 minutes or so, I think more people would be inclined to tune in and stay tuned in. When I am bombarded with 20 minutes of filler and promos to see two random, personality-less scrubs fighting on the undercard of an FS1 show, how much patience do they expect casual viewers to have?

Levito

Banned
I guess I'm the opposite cause I'm super hyped for 214. Most excited I've been for a MMA event in.... jeez at least since last year.

214 won't even hit 500k

UFC has done an awful job promoting their events lately and it's shocking how awful this one has been promoted. All focused on Mayweather vs McGregor

I have a hard time believing casuals even know there are 3 title fights on the line and that Lawler vs Cerrone is on the card.

Fox318

Say what you want about Conor he didn't torpedo his career like Jones.

For all we know Jones could have fought at heavyweight or against people like Anderson.

Instead he sorted his coke and even if he does win (which I believe he wont) he will do so on a show where for the most part nobody cares.

He could have been in Ronda's spot or Conors spot. But he gave it up because he went down the path that involved more coke than a Wal-Mart.

FUME5

Say what you want about Conor he didn't torpedo his career like Jones.

For all we know Jones could have fought at heavyweight or against people like Anderson.

Instead he sorted his coke and even if he does win (which I believe he wont) he will do so on a show where for the most part nobody cares.

He could have been in Ronda's spot or Conors spot. But he gave it up because he went down the path that involved more coke than a Wal-Mart.

True, and at 30 years old he'll have a hard time regaining his place in the spotlight, but with the UFC starving for star power he's not out of that picture yet.

As for people not caring about 214, it's one of the most stacked cards in a long fucking time, again showing how bad WME is dropping the ball on their investment.

Fox318

True, and at 30 years old he'll have a hard time regaining his place in the spotlight, but with the UFC starving for star power he's not out of that picture yet.

As for people not caring about 214, it's one of the most stacked cards in a long fucking time, again showing how bad WME is dropping the ball on their investment.
3 years ago Jones had his face on protein powder, shoe ads and even before that he was the first MMA fighter on the tonight show.

Even with WME the way that they are now you can't book around Jones as a star. He's not dependable and is he really going to fight 3 to 4 times a year? He probably has 2 fights left in him before he follows the Jones family tradition of fucking up talent.

FUME5

3 years ago Jones had his face on protein powder, shoe ads and even before that he was the first MMA fighter on the tonight show.

Even with WME the way that they are now you can't book around Jones as a star. He's not dependable and is he really going to fight 3 to 4 times a year? He probably has 2 fights left in him before he follows the Jones family tradition of fucking up talent.

I think that all comes down to his next two fights. If he can look super dominant and keep his nose clean (
smiling-face-with-sunglasses_1f60e.png
) outside of the cage he has a good chance at getting back on top, redemption round two.

I think there's more chance of McGregor knocking out Mayweather tbh.

Levito

Banned
I remember watching Shogun vs Jones live, I thought I was seen a megastar being born. Dude just gutted Shogun like a fish.

He made a lot of bad decisions that will hurt how history looks back on him.

This is Jones last chance at redemption in the UFC. If he wins this he will become a regular main event fighter and maybe sponsors will be interested again.

Jon on Undisputed Live
Somethings off about Jon. Cant put my finger on it but Ill be looking forward to Saturday.

How the fuck does nobody know Cyborg fights? Cerrone/Lawler? TYRON? Channeling all their PR focus on the main event is a pretty shitty idea.

I don't even think this card gets 500k buys, likely 300-400k. Lawler, Cowboy, Cyborg; those are big names yet no one knows they're fighting on the card.

Dysun

Mayweather McGregor is definitely stealing the oxygen in the room
214 is probably the best card of the year and there's little to no interest

Oh shit, Mario Yamazaki just accepted a fight against Michael Chiesa in a grappling match. UFC fans are probably more excited for this fight than Jones vs DC 2.

Top Bottom