• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

If Bones is the Bones of old he'll run through DC. The problem is that with the time away and all the shit he's been through I have no idea if Bones is still that guy. Gonna be an interesting night.

Chesskid1

Banned
jones is looking ripped and is overflowing with confidence

not lookin good for DC

kinda weird he didn't open workout because he wants to remain "mysterious"

Syder

If Bones is the Bones of old he'll run through DC. The problem is that with the time away and all the shit he's been through I have no idea if Bones is still that guy. Gonna be an interesting night.
Jones sounds hungry as fuck for this, and he's a natural super athlete. He's admitted to getting wasted the week before a fight and still running through guys. If he's completely clean and focused like he says he is then I fear for Cormier, to be honest.

N° 2048

Hard to think DC has a shot after how badly JJ beat him the first time. If JJ is on point, it will be an easy win

Can't stop thinking this.

Would be insane if DC comes out and just mauls him though.

You know what, I'm going to rewatch the first fight tonight.

Why doesn't the UFC have a Union for fighters like the NFL does?
There's been multiple attempts at one to no avail. Partly because the fighters want to be represented by 'their guys' (ie attorneys and managers, etc) partly because the fighters that don't need unions, a la GSP, McGregor, Lesnar, have no interest in joining one, giving those fighters who are trying to form one no bargaining power.

Hard to think DC has a shot after how badly JJ beat him the first time. If JJ is on point, it will be an easy win

I love DC, and I want him to win so badly, but I die a little inside when I see him talking about how he's going to beat Jones because I know it's not going to happen

BadAss2961

I love DC, and I want him to win so badly, but I die a little inside when I see him talking about how he's going to beat Jones because I know it's not going to happen
I feel similar, but I give DC a better shot at pulling it off. Bones Jones doesn't look as strong as coke and dick pills Jones.

Granted, the Bones loadout is quicker and has nastier elbows. But the grappling might not be as solid as it was last time.

Bones looked super skinny at the weigh in. Even skinnier than his young and hungry days.

Dat USADA.

Lol total bs

Here...even during Sonnen fight weigh-in

JonesSonnenMandelSherdog-e1367093635774.jpg

VoxPop

I'm just glad everyone made weight with no issues. MMA gods are smiling on us today boys. Been a while since we had a nice stacked card from top to bottom. Is there an OT?

Cormier x Jones - Very few times in our life do we get the definitive #1 and #2 guy with natural disdain for each other go at it. I feel these two guys are the best fighters in the UFC regardless of weight division and both are ultra competitive. Hoping babyface Cormier pulls off the W so we get a trilogy but we'll see which Jon shows up.

Woodley x Maia - I can see Maia trying to pull guard for the first 5 minutes and failing miserably only to get dropped and finished early in the 2nd or late in the first.

Cyborg x Evinger - I've never seen Evinger actually fight but do I really have to? I'm expecting the typical Cyborg mauling. Cyborg obviously is roided to the gills but she is also a very smart fighter and still puts herself in dangerous fights to prove herself (Jorina). I'm hoping we get to see her vs Ronda despite how carny it will be with her coming off 2 KO losses.

Lawler x Cerrone - What a scrap. Not sure where Robbie's head is at after that KO loss to Woodley and all those wars. Hoping we see some vintage Robbie but he's getting up there in age now.

Manuwa x Oezdemir - It'd be funny to watch Oezdemir put Manuwa to sleep like he did with Cirkunov but I can't see it happening. I'm hoping for it just to see the wrench it throws into the random Haye/Manuwa stuff I've been reading about.

Lamas x Knight - Hick Diaz has been mighty impressive so far and I've always found Lamas extremely overrated. I see him punishing him for a bunch of failed takedown attempts and possibly even getting a submission victory late in the fight.

Sterling x Barao - I had high hopes for Sterling but he has been relatively unimpressive like Will Brooks has been. Barao might have fallen off but I still think he has enough in his tank to pull out a decision against Sterling.

Ortega x Moicano - I'm a big Ortega fan and I don't really see how Moicano is the favorite here. I see a quick sub victory for Ortega here handing Moicano his first L.

Damn Korean Zombie and Doo Ho Choi were both on this card. Would have been quite a night. Should still be great though.

Pretty interesting that Rizin lets fighters wear spats. I can't tell if Cassie has fight shorts over them or if its just spats.

Man I love those knees from side mount

Rellik

Pretty interesting that Rizin lets fighters wear spats. I can't tell if Cassie has fight shorts over them or if its just spats.

Man I love those knees from side mount

It's Japan. You can fight in a clown suit if you want.

Really good event so far, as always with RIZIN.

Oscar

Still pumped about that Ortega fight. Hope he can stay healthy and stop getting injured outside of the cage.
I wonder how long that chin is gonna hold up for.

Everyone has their limit. Chuck used to be an iron chin god, then got slept from jabs towards the end of his career.

Still pumped about that Ortega fight. Hope he can stay healthy and stop getting injured outside of the cage.
His fights are so fun. I like the videos he's in on that Gracie Academy yt channel too.

Why did Moicano take him down tho? It's like he wanted to get finished.

I wonder how long that chin is gonna hold up for.

Everyone has their limit. Chuck used to be an iron chin god, then got slept from jabs towards the end of his career.
He's getting hit in all his fights but it's not like he's taking crazy beatings like Frankie. He'll have a long career and then be a really crazy brain damaged bjj coach.

Wow, hopefully DC has retained the speech center of his brain to fall back on his announcing career after that insanely late stoppage. I wonder if he was pissed at Jones or Big John?

Syder

Wow, hopefully DC has retained the speech center of his brain to fall back on his announcing career after that insanely late stoppage. I wonder if he was pissed at Jones or Big John?
Bones was pounding on what was basically the back of DC's head.

Concussion, for sure. I don't blame DC for any of his post-fight behaviour; he was mentally broken and punch drunk.

brentech

Concussion, for sure. I don't blame DC for any of his post-fight behaviour; he was mentally broken and punch drunk.
I do blame his team for not being real with him. They should have both been propping him up and telling him the truth.

Just watched it again and he actually doesn't land one single punch behind DC's ears. The last two before Big John finally calls it off look like they're to the back of the head but he's actually hitting DCs ear and his hand slides behind DCs head. Great precision/composure on Jone's part.

I'm starting to think Jon doens't really want to fight at Heavyweight....ever

I'll never stoop low to say that he is "scared" or anything like that, but he probably knows that his physical advantages at LHW would not really have that big of an effect at Heavy

I think Overeem, if he isn't screwing around, could knock Jones out let alone Stipe

i think even someone like Struve would beat Joens

-MD-

I'll never stoop low to say that he is "scared" or anything like that, but he probably knows that his physical advantages at LHW would not really have that big of an effect at Heavy

I think Overeem, if he isn't screwing around, could knock Jones out let alone Stipe

Jon already said he's only interested in going up for the right opponent, someone he matches well against.

He called out Lesnar cause it's winnable and a money fight.

brentech

He addresses this issue head on in the most recent UFC Unfiltered. He said he'd like to go up, but not against someone like Stipe because he's a true heavyweight. Said if there was ever a champ that was around 220-230, he'd love to try that out for a 2nd title.

Cain should call out Bones Jones. Brock won't be ready until 2018 and Stipe is negotiating his contract so his fight with Cain is in the back burner.

He addresses this issue head on in the most recent UFC Unfiltered. He said he'd like to go up, but not against someone like Stipe because he's a true heavyweight. Said if there was ever a champ that was around 220-230, he'd love to try that out for a 2nd title.

Isn't Jon a natural heavyweight, doesn't he cut down alot to get to 205

Cain should call out Bones Jones. Brock won't be ready until 2018 and Stipe is negotiating his contract so his fight with Cain is in the back burner.

lol at that fight ever happening .

Ones a junkie that can't get his shit together and the other one is injured 11.5 months out of the year because he tries to juggle 200 pound kettle bells as a workout routine.

So Gabi Garcia got another no contest because she eye gouged someone ...smh

This thing is a trip. I wish Rizin would stop hiring this abomination .

Chumley

Banned
MMA fans have always been really terrible but the reaction to DC's breakdown last night has kind of shaken me to my core. That so many of them can be so utterly soulless and heartless is depressing to the point that I had to question if I want anything to do with UFC fandom anymore. DC has lost a child and puts his heart and soul into fighting, was concussed, and broke down in the ring. And instead of respecting a guy who's given so much to the sport, these people say shit like "suicide watch", make memes, and kick him while he's down. It's unreal.

That's why i mainly just watch and don't participate in much discussion.

Wow, great EBI tourney. That last OT was so close.

The combat bjj was cool too but after the first fight I kinda forgot it was any different from regular sub only. Hardly any strikes thrown, in fact i don't know if the final match had any.

MMA fans have always been really terrible but the reaction to DC's breakdown last night has kind of shaken me to my core. That so many of them can be so utterly soulless and heartless is depressing to the point that I had to question if I want anything to do with UFC fandom anymore. DC has lost a child and puts his heart and soul into fighting, was concussed, and broke down in the ring. And instead of respecting a guy who's given so much to the sport, these people say shit like "suicide watch", make memes, and kick him while he's down. It's unreal.
That's not just mma fans. That's the internet. Trust me - you see equally awfully stuff like that in the NFL/NBA/MLB threads too.

Top Bottom