• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Come on brahs, you look forward to Jon Fitch fights? I don't care how high you're ranked, I'm here to be entertained and the dude was a waste of a main card slot. Ask yourself...who would you rather see, an exciting guy who loses or a boring guy who wins?

There are actually people wondering why Wanderlei Silva headlines and sport killer Jon Fitch is cut. There are actually people wondering why Dan Hardy and Leonard Garcia are still employed.

tumblr_m4njl6jhGW1rv5j9yo1_500.gif
Indeed friend. I watch combat sports because it's the closest thing to gladiatorial spectacle. To be entertained and satisfy my bloodlust. A dude who is an instant 15 minute smoke break/store run has no place for me.

Dana's always had a soft spot for guys who beat each others brains in, even if they lose, going back all the way to the first TUF. This should not be surprising to anyone.

Heel

I doubt Bellator is dumb enough to risk letting a UFC hand-me-down beat their budding champion.

World Series of Fighting welcomes Jon Fitch with open arms.

Vio-Lence

Banned
hopefully white hope Joe Weidman gets cut after getting aborted by Spider Silver. Joe Weidman and K1 Maia offered up the worst fight of 2012, i demand his head.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Would anyone actually want to hire Fitch? Everyone on earth knows he's boring as hell. I guess those real small shows want an Ex-UFC guy, but other than that...

Manbig

Come on brahs, you look forward to Jon Fitch fights? I don't care how high you're ranked, I'm here to be entertained and the dude was a waste of a main card slot. Ask yourself...who would you rather see, an exciting guy who loses or a boring guy who wins?

There are actually people wondering why Wanderlei Silva headlines and sport killer Jon Fitch is cut. There are actually people wondering why Dan Hardy and Leonard Garcia are still employed.

tumblr_m4njl6jhGW1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

The only thing that's killing the sport is messing with legit contenders like the UFC does. Jon Fitch may have never gotten a title shot again, but he still probably has a few years of legit high level gatekeeper status left in him, he was starting to fight a more exciting style with the Silva fight, and he only lost to title contending/champ level top 10 guys.

Some people actually want the sport to stay legit by having the best guys fight the best guys. The UFC claims to have that, but then they make boneheaded decisions likes this.

On top of that, they keep Guillard (Who hasn't been anywhere near as exciting lately and is 1-4 out of his last 5), Garcia (Who is also 1-4 out of his last 5 and is only exciting when his opponent throws his gameplan away and swings wildly with him), and Hardy (Who is just all around terrible) around.

Heel

The only thing that's killing the sport is messing with legit contenders like the UFC does. Jon Fitch may have never gotten a title shot again, but he still probably has a few years of legit high level gatekeeper status left in him, he was starting to fight a more exciting style with the Silva fight, and he only lost to title contending/champ level top 10 guys.

Some people actually want the sport to stay legit by having the best guys fight the best guys. The UFC claims to have that, but then they make boneheaded decisions likes this.

On top of that, they keep Guillard (Who hasn't been anywhere near as exciting lately and is 1-4 out of his last 5), Garcia (Who is also 1-4 out of his last 5 and is only exciting when his opponent throws his gameplan away and swings wildly with him), and Hardy (Who is just all around terrible) around.

This is prize fighting, chico. They're around because they put butts in the seats and actually entertain. What else are we watching for?

Hardy has one punch KO power and has shown tremendous improvement. He's not champion level yet, but calling him terrible is a bit of a stretch at this point in his career. He's easily a much better fighter now than when he actually fought GSP.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

The spirit of sien916 lives on in our newest member. Welcome, friend.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Hardy has one punch KO power and has shown tremendous improvement. He's not champion level yet, but calling him terrible is a bit of a stretch at this point in his career. He's easily a much better fighter now than when he actually fought GSP.

Hardy is actually an entertaining guy outside of the octagon. he is one of the few guys who usually has pretty good entrances and walks to the cage. he can bang, just keep him away from wrestlers. he serves a purpose.

MMA-GAF |OT5| you either die a sien916, or live long enough to see yourself become a yacobod

don't hate bro. i'm consistent and ride or die. sien916 has the spine of a jelly fish and is a bigger flip-flopper than jon kerry or mittens. heel is co-opting my posting tactics from 2006-RIP.

Agreed. I thought Ludwig was going to destroy him.

Heel

don't hate bro. i'm consistent and ride or die. sien916 has the spine of a jelly fish and is a bigger flip-flopper than jon kerry or mittens. heel is co-opting my posting tactics from 2006-RIP.

I am a malleable mixed martial fan who spits the real as I currently see it, chico. If you're mad that Uncle Dana got rid of Jon Fitch you've gone fucking soft.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Dan Wetzel said:
This was last August and Dana White, president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, had called a couple days prior to invite Rousey out with a big group of people. First there would be dinner at Mr. Chow, White's favorite restaurant in Los Angeles. Then the premiere for season five of the FX hit "Sons of Anarchy."

This is a real nice insight into Dana White's persona. Maybe his tough guy act is the result of walking Jax Teller strut around like a bro for 5 seasons.

Manbig

This is prize fighting, chico. They're around because they put butts in the seats and actually entertain. What else are we watching for?

That's why those guys are still headlining shows right?
They're not.

Myself and many others want to see the best fight the best. Sometimes it becomes an awesome chess match (Shogun vs Machida 1), other times it becomes a bust (BJ Penn vs McDonald), but to have this mentality that cutting a a very accomplished and high level guy just for "being boring" is pretty damn insane. Maia and Hendricks winning was a big deal because Jon Fitch was the guy that they beat. Even the "let me bang bro" meathead fan (note: not saying you're this, just using it as an example) knows that dominating Jon Fitch is a pretty big deal. Now if Diaz flakes out again, either of those guys can easily step up and take a shot at GSP and nobody would complain. This is a division that was pretty much considered to be cleaned out about 2 years ago, but has new life thanks to people finally starting to beat a guy like Jon Fitch.

THAT is why you need a guy like that around. As long as he offsets those big losses with wins that keep him in the top 10, there's no real smart reason to cut him. Honestly, this is probably just a cost cutting measure to finish off the incoming Strikeforce fighter contracts anyway. Once guys like Robbie Lawler lose their lopsided matches, they will be cut and Fitch will eventually find his way back in.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I don't know what's been the more futile task for Dana, signing Fedor or getting into Honda's pants.

Let me tell you something brother, the amount of money required to get into Honda's pants is significantly less than to get Fedor out of Stary Oskol and into the Ultimate to job to some cans.

They're not.

Myself and many others want to see the best fight the best. Sometimes it becomes an awesome chess match (Shogun vs Machida 1), other times it becomes a bust (BJ Penn vs McDonald), but to have this mentality that cutting a a very accomplished and high level guy just for "being boring" is pretty damn insane. Maia and Hendricks winning was a big deal because Jon Fitch was the guy that they beat. Even the "let me bang bro" meathead fan (note: not saying you're this, just using it as an example) knows that dominating Jon Fitch is a pretty big deal. Now if Diaz flakes out again, either of those guys can easily step up and take a shot at GSP and nobody would complain. This is a division that was pretty much considered to be cleaned out about 2 years ago, but has new life thanks to people finally starting to beat a guy like Jon Fitch.

THAT is why you need a guy like that around. As long as he offsets those big losses with wins that keep him in the top 10, there's no real smart reason to cut him. Honestly, this is probably just a cost cutting measure to finish off the incoming Strikeforce fighter contracts anyway. Once guys like Robbie Lawler lose their lopsided matches, they will be cut and Fitch will eventually find his way back in.

Nope. No reason to keep a High Level Gatekeeper. All he does is filibuster plans for more exciting fights by blanketing people. He's Guida. He's Florian. He's a talented guy that's good enough to fuck up the progress for new and exciting prospects while never ever having the ability to beat Champion level fighters. On top of that.. HE'S BORING.

He's got no promo skill, no exciting element, and no prospect of ever being more than what he currently is. He's a damn speedbump. And while some can appreciate the safety a speedbump provides.. nobody enjoys a speedbump.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Let me tell you something brother, the amount of money required to get into Honda's pants is significantly less than to get Fedor out of Stary Oskol and into the Ultimate to job to some cans.
I don't know man, those countdown shows look expensive.

SteveWD40

Yup, he was rushed to a shot then stuck fighting top 5 guys, he is a great mid-card fighter and could be a decent gatekeeper assuming he doesnt actually retire next year.

This is seriously one of the greatest non-fight days the Ultimate has had since the Fox deal.

Cutting Fitch and Volkmann sends out the right message. You fight to finish whether it's by submission or KO. If you try and game the system and win on points and you bring nothing else to the table, you're out as soon as the UFC is within its rights to kick you out.

All hail the new era of UFC fighters who go in to finish the fight!

Down with the point fighters!

Thank you Uncle Dana!

Next rule, NO MORE FRANKIE EDGAR REMATCHES

Heel

They're not.

He's an overpaid fighter that underperforms, who has failed to achieve a title rematch that no one wants to see. The only way he's coming back is for less money, and if he can string together some finishes.

You can be a grappler and still be entertaining. These days the only time Jon Fitch is exciting is when he's getting his ass kicked.

This is seriously one of the greatest non-fight days the Ultimate has had since the Fox deal.

Cutting Fitch and Volkmann sends out the right message. You fight to finish whether it's by submission or KO. If you try and game the system and win on points and you bring nothing else to the table, you're out as soon as the UFC is within its rights to kick you out.

Thank you Uncle Dana!

Yes, friend. This is my Sony conference. This is my megaton.

Manbig

Nope. No reason to keep a High Level Gatekeeper. All he does is filibuster plans for more exciting fights by blanketing people. He's Guida. He's Florian. He's a talented guy that's good enough to fuck up the progress for new and exciting prospects while never ever having the ability to beat Champion level fighters. On top of that.. HE'S BORING.

He's got no promo skill, no exciting element, and no prospect of ever being more than what he currently is. He's a damn speedbump. And while some can appreciate the safety a speedbump provides.. nobody enjoys a speedbump.

That speed bump that stopped Silva was pretty enjoyable to watch. And Fitch is a leagues above Guida. Guida gets gifted decisions because judges don't know how to score for a guy that's aggressive off his back (Guida vs Hioki). When Fitch won by decision, there was almost no question about who was dominating the fight.

It's the competition that has to up its game to avoid high level boring fights. People need to learn how to fight all around. If a guy wrestlefucks you to a decision, you learn how to counter it. Instead we get people like Dan Hardy that cry about how effective wrestling is in MMA judging because he couldn't hang with good wrestlers.

Vio-Lence

Banned

Thank you Uncle Dana!

Poly and Heel, look into your hearts amigo, cutting Fitch and Jacob Christmas doesn't do a god damn thing. It's like cutting the heads off a hydra, meet the new boss same as the old fucking boss. 5 lame wrestlers will come in to replace their fallen comrades. You want change, give me a revised unified rules set that doesn't award octagon control or takedowns. Cutting Greg Jackson & Tri-Star gym with their play it safe camp of fuck heads would also be a great start.

Manbig

I politely disagree that a win over Jon Fitch means anything at all in 2013.

It would if he had a chance to prove that he still had that worth. Going 2-2-1 in his last five where his only losses are on a guy that's been destroying the division in Hendricks and a stylistic counter vs a world glass grappler does not offset the fact that the draw was off of a gusty comeback in a very entertaining fight, he was fighting to finish fights, and he had one of the longest non champion UFC win streaks (that was broken by a loss to the champ GSP and he still went on a 5 straight win streak after that vs touch competition).

So I have to politely disagree with you right back. Had he lost horribly again vs a much lesser opponent I would be on board, but losing to Hendricks via flash KO and getting out grappled by arguably the greatest grappler in the sport does not automatically knock you into irrelevancy in my book.

That speed bump that stopped Silva was pretty enjoyable to watch. And Fitch is a leagues above Guida. Guida gets gifted decisions because judges don't know how to score for a guy that's aggressive off his back (Guida vs Hioki). When Fitch won by decision, there was almost no question about who was dominating the fight.

It's the competition that has to up its game to avoid high level boring fights. People need to learn how to fight all around. If a guy wrestlefucks you to a decision, you learn how to counter it. Instead we get people like Dan Hardy that cry about how effective wrestling is in MMA judging because he couldn't hang with good wrestlers.

Fitch really isn't leagues above Guida. When was the last time that Fitch even fought someone that even attempted to be as aggressive of his back as Hioki?

But it's interesting that you knock judges not knowing how to score aggression from the bottom but then say that people need to learn to "hang with good wrestlers." If the judging wasn't so heavily Wrestling biased, Wrestlers would have to learn to use other skillsets themselves.

Wrestling is fine when it's used to attack. Set up GnP. Set up subs. Fitch doesn't do that. He's got 3 submission wins in 18 fights in the UFC. 4 in his entire career. His entire gameplan is to stifle. If fighting through that is supposed to be some kind of measurement of worthiness, Dana should just have dudes fight there way out of straight jackets because it's essentially the same thing.

Heel

Wrestling is fine when it's used to attack. Set up GnP. Set up subs. Fitch doesn't do that. He's got 3 submission wins in 18 fights in the UFC. 4 in his entire career. His entire gameplan is to stifle. If fighting through that is supposed to be some kind of measurement of worthiness, Dana should just have dudes fight there way out of straight jackets because it's essentially the same thing.

iz6JdhzEIGVkd.gif

MMA-GAF rookie of the year right here, amigos. Jon Fitch couldn't finish a pizza Lunchables.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Thank you Uncle Dana!

On the contrary, this will lead to fighters being safer than ever in their approach.

Ulysses Gomez ✔ @uselessgomez

@arielhelwani I got released?!?!? What! Serious?
Can we have a little professionalism Joe Silver?

Vio-Lence

Banned
Fitch really isn't leagues above Guida. When was the last time that Fitch even fought someone that even attempted to be as aggressive of his back as Hioki?

You know your argument sucks when you try to prop up that fraud Cansu Aluminiumoki. Can't wait til he loses his 3rd in a row and goes back to the recycling bin in Japan.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Bros..i went in hard at the gym today. There's a bird that was giving me the eye the last few times ive been there since we're there at around the same time usually. I think imma try to go in UK1 style and get the ref to lay us down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom