• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything below is the truth.

r38KaSy.jpg

Heel

‏@danawhite - Aldo vs Pettis is ON!!!!!
@MMAjunkieJohn - Was able to confirm with Dana White reports from Brazil: If Aldo beats Pettis, he then fights for the 155-pound title.

Looks like Aldoson Silver found out he doesn't have that kind of stroke.

TheNatural

My Member!
@MMAjunkieJohn - Was able to confirm with Dana White reports from Brazil: If Aldo beats Pettis, he then fights for the 155-pound title.

Or you've found out you've been trolled again by another Brazilian.

that-s-what-i-m-talking-about-o.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve

But I thought Aldoson (great nickname) was all about respecting the rankings and the integrity of the Featherweight division?

Face better watch out. Snatch's love for Brazilians is getting out of control. I see stalker shit going down in the future. Like when he was secretly in love with Poly and stalked just to find out his name.

TheNatural

My Member!
That day you posted some article Poly wrote and tried to expose his real name and everyone was like... so?

Yeah .. no. I don't even remember that. If I did, it sure as hell wasn't to 'expose' anyone, since I forget who is trolling who in this thread like 5 minutes after it happens.

Hell I don't even know who the hell you are actually now that I think about it.

TheNatural

My Member!
Also, all this shit is a media ploy. It's about even ground with the WWE heel buildups of "I'm not defending my belt against so and so he doesn't deserve it!" promos for the next PPV.

Pederneiras:
"I had a meeting with him today (Monday) and Aldo said: I'm done with this bullshit! They're saying I'm ducking him, now they will see who will be the one running when the time comes. If you like violence, buy the PPV for this fight, because that's what you'll going to see. Heads will roll.

Right after that, I called Dana to confirm the match, but with one condition: He will fight the LW champion after that."

Dana says shit to press buttons on fighters, and fighters say shit for leverage on Dana. Welcome to fighting. You figure after the umpteenth "LOL Candice Candon Cantherspoon is ducking" and a day later the same fight is announced, the game would be figured out.

Heel

Only jaded wrestling fans think every thread of a story is a work for PPV buys or to "troll you" or whatever the fuck Natch is going on about. He thought he had the stroke to pick his spot and got raked over the coals in public for it.

TheNatural

My Member!
Only jaded wrestling fans think every thread of a story is a work for PPV buys or to "troll you" or whatever the fuck Natch is going on about. He thought he had the stroke to pick his spot and got raked over the coals in public for it.

You believe everything you're told. You think Aldo was ducking a guy who Clay fucking Guida beat, really?

Reading his comments he seemed pissed somebody not even in his division was given a shot, without fighting anyone actually in the division. For the second straight time.

It was Aldo, himself, that first revealed to Brazilian website Tatame.com the reason for accepting the matchup, essentially requesting that if Pettis could change divisions and be considered a No. 1 contender, then he should also receive similar treatment.

It worked because he got an incentive out of it at least, and if he wins he gets a chance to hold two belts, something Dana NEVER has allowed.

If he's going to continue to jumble divisions, he's going to have to put more incentive out there than just money.

Heel

I have no idea what you're trying to argue. Dana had been talking about Aldo jumping to lightweight to hold two belts before any of this Pettis talk. He didn't "earn an incentive", he earned a bad rep.

I don't think it's a work or that Team Soares is really ducking but they will say shit like that to try to negotiate better deals.

Friends, I'm reminded how awesome this dude's videos are ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1bG6BIYlo
I'm not even high and this is amazing. Gonna save to watch again while high.

man, not chosen to work at Staples. i understand though, they were looking for folks with "extensive" hardware knowledge, to built and fix computers and shit. oh well, keep looking.
I got turned down for a job at 7-11 once.

TheNatural

My Member!
I have no idea what you're trying to argue. Dana had been talking about Aldo jumping to lightweight to hold two belts before any of this Pettis talk. He didn't "earn an incentive", he earned a bad rep.

He's said before anyone else has to drop their belt to move weight classes, and not keep both.

Bad rep my ass. Guy worked his ass off like almost all the champs in the UFC, and most had their own waiting period to even get their own shot in the first place, only to have a lot of these challengers just handed shots out of circumstance with no incentive to beating them.

It's like going to play in a grueling 3 day Texas Hold Em tournament, beating a hundred other people to win, only for a day later some amateur calling you out to put all your winnings on the line, and you're "ducking" them if you don't do it.

Fuck that shit. Sonnen gets a shot for basically calling a guy chicken on Twitter (although Jones could have just finished him quickly last year and ended this shit before it started), Weidman supposedly deserves a shot for beating all of Mark Munoz over a year ago, Diaz gets a shot after losing his last fight a year ago and getting suspended while continuing to shit on doing work to promote the fight, Edgar got a shot for losing his two previous fighters in another division.

No one is ducking anyone. They're tired of Dana's welfare babies getting shots, when it took them a career to get one, win the belt, and defend it while not getting much career wise in return to take on one of these deserving fighters. It's one thing for a short notice fighter getting one, it's another to schedule all this out like this.

I swear Dana said in a presser recently (this year or late last year) that if someone defended a couple times, he'd consider letting them fight for another belt. Can't remember who or in what circumstance though.

TheNatural

My Member!
I swear Dana said in a presser recently (this year or late last year) that if someone defended a couple times, he'd consider letting them fight for another belt. Can't remember who or in what circumstance though.

He's said Anderson Silva could do it a while back. I think this is the first he's ever said he would let anyone outside of him hold dual belts.

The long-term plan is for Silva to keep testing the waters at 205, in preparation for an eventual run at the title. And for the first time in the UFC’s history, one of its champions would be allowed to hold two titles at the same time. “Normally I won’t let guys do stuff like that because it’s just…stupid,” White said. “I’ll let Anderson Silva do it.”

It makes sense because you're holding up one division defending another belt. Then all these #1 contender fights in the meanwhile will have winners waiting and not fighting and all this shit and it's just messy. I bet if Aldo unifies them, it will be short lived.

Heel

He's said before anyone else has to drop their belt to move weight classes, and not keep both.

Bad rep my ass. Guy worked his ass off like almost all the champs in the UFC, and most had their own waiting period to even get their own shot in the first place, only to have a lot of these challengers just handed shots out of circumstance with no incentive to beating them.

It's like going to play in a grueling 3 day Texas Hold Em tournament, beating a hundred other people to win, only for a day later some amateur calling you out to put all your winnings on the line, and you're "ducking" them if you don't do it.

Fuck that shit. Sonnen gets a shot for basically calling a guy chicken on Twitter (although Jones could have just finished him quickly last year and ended this shit before it started), Weidman supposedly deserves a shot for beating all of Mark Munoz over a year ago, Diaz gets a shot after losing his last fight a year ago and getting suspended while continuing to shit on doing work to promote the fight, Edgar got a shot for losing his two previous fighters in another division.

No one is ducking anyone. They're tired of Dana's welfare babies getting shots, when it took them a career to get one, win the belt, and defend it while not getting much career wise in return to take on one of these deserving fighters. It's one thing for a short notice fighter getting one, it's another to schedule all this out like this.

I disagree with you. It's a luxury that we have champions who are ultimately forced to fight whoever Joe Silver puts in front of them, at least in their home division. Otherwise we'd have Cung Le fighting for a title. Let's all be glad this isn't boxing.

No one is mad that Aldo is being "forced" to fight Anthony Pettis over Ricardo Lamas.

Not going to try digging, but relatively recently Dana had mentioned Jose as a guy who could be holding two straps. It's not a revelation or some new "incentive" he earned from being a backroom serpent.

TheNatural

My Member!
I disagree with you. It's a luxury that we have champions who are ultimately forced to fight whoever Joe Silver puts in front of them, at least in their home division. Otherwise we'd have Cung Le fighting for a title. Let's all be glad this isn't boxing.

No one is mad that Aldo is being "forced" to fight Anthony Pettis over Ricardo Lamas.

So you're cool with Pettis jumping the line because he's an exciting unorthodox fighter, but you're not cool with Cung Le jumping the line - because he's the same thing? I wouldn't call losing a rock em sock em robots fight with Wandy and wins over Cote and Frankin any worse than losing to Guida and beating Stephens, Lauzon, and Cerrone.

To me, its this simple. If there's no one proven enough in the division to face, then put either the most exciting matchup together you can, or if you're going to offer an out of division or otherwise unproven guy a shot put some incentive behind it for the champion.

Heel

So you're cool with Pettis jumping the line because he's an exciting unorthodox fighter, but you're not cool with Cung Le jumping the line - because he's the same thing? I wouldn't call losing a rock em sock em robots fight with Wandy and wins over Cote and Frankin any worse than losing to Guida and beating Stephens, Lauzon, and Cerrone.

You're really trying to compare Anthony Pettis to the 40 year old unranked Cung Le?

iH7HLFOUQSWi3.gif

G) No response

muddream

Banned
What Aldo really wants to do is cut extra weight to defend his beloved featherweight belt instead of defending a title people cared about before Frankie The Dancer Edgah stunk the place up.

Not going to try digging, but relatively recently Dana had mentioned Jose as a guy who could be holding two straps. It's not a revelation or some new "incentive" he earned from being a backroom serpent.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this isn't boxing. It's fast becoming worse than boxing because there's only one Promoter in town AND fighters are still picking and choosing fights. Chael openly talking about how he and Jones won't fight Machida because he isn't a draw while they'd rather take a lower ranked fighter because they ARE a draw is exactly the bullshit that Boxers pull all the time. Easier Fight for a better Payday. And the more of these fights we see where dudes are given shots because they're a draw rather than having earned it somehow in the division the more boxing it'll be.

And the only reason no one is tripping over Pettis getting the fight over Lamas is because Pettis is flashy and too many people buy into that crap. I mean I've heard guys talking about Pettis should've had a shot at Bendo "awhile ago" despite losing to Guida and looking like shit against lifetime midtier Stephens.

And regardless of Dana saying that he'd consider Aldo holding two straps, make no mistake in that that was the detail made Aldo say yes. Dana always talks about how he's going to "make" these guys say yes like he's intimidating these dudes. He's just making business deals.. like a promoter.

UFC is full on WWE now.

look at Fitch, creative had nothing for him.

look at Machida, X-Pac heat, won't sell PPVs.

look at Chael, the anti-Machida, who promos himself into title shots.

look at Rousey, (Summer) Olympic Gold medalist with a submission finisher. textbook Kurt Angle booking.

why you guys even pay attention to backstage stuff, rumours and hearsay is beyond me. i just watch the events, in hopes to see people get banged. you know who got banged? King Mo. he was in TNA. yeah. Wrestling.

muddream

Banned
Guida was a bad style matchup and hardly really relevant when you're matching him up against Bendo or Aldo. The Stephens performance hurt his stock way more in my eyes.

I don't buy the boxing comparison, Pettis is seen my most people as the #1 contender of a more highly regarded, heavier division, so if anything the UFC champion is getting tougher fights than he should. Lamas and Mendes can fight in the meantime to produce a credible homegrown featherweight contender, because nobody is hyped about either of them fighting for a title at this point.

caesar

Banned
Machida can't draw flies because fans of 'The Dragon' are actually weeaboos who wish they had been born in Japan and play Atelier no kooni numi games.

amirite guise?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MMA-GAF needs to make up their mind on whether they want to embrace sports entertainment or not. Arguments always change to suit the agenda at hand. Pretty sure everyone acknowledged in the 157 thread that Guida didn't do shit to Pettis and Hioki. Now it's "LOLZ, PETTIS COULDN'T BEAT GUIDA!"

Ricardo Lamas himself isn't very far removed from getting his lights put out by a Bantamweight.

Machida can't draw flies because fans of 'The Dragon' are actually weeaboos who wish they had been born in Japan and play Atelier no kooni numi games.

amirite guise?

i equate Machida fans to them kids who lock themselves in the basement trying to do real-life hadokens.

Guida was a bad style matchup and hardly really relevant when you're matching him up against Bendo or Aldo. The Stephens performance hurt his stock way more in my eyes.

I don't buy the boxing comparison, Pettis is seen my most people as the #1 contender of a more highly regarded, heavier division, so if anything the UFC champion is getting tougher fights than he should. Lamas and Mendes can fight in the meantime to produce a credible homegrown featherweight contender, because nobody is hyped about either of them fighting for a title at this point.

The easier fights for better paydays is happening in the LHW and MW divisions. Hell even WW to an extent. Aldo's situation is more like negotiating a better deal on the backend. Sure it's got this stipulation that he must win, but he's not worried about losing to Pettis as much as he's pissed off that he's having to fight two guys who've dropped to 145 recently without them having to so much as fight one round in the division first.

I know a lot of people put Pettis as the #1 contender but again, it's all due to flash. He's had two quick finishes over guys ranked in the bottom half of the top 10. How does that leapfrog him over Diaz, Maynard, and whoever else? I'm not saying the dude isn't talented as he clearly is but barring an extenuating circumstance like getting substituted on short notice, the dude shouldn't get a title shot without working through the division or at the very least beating someone in the top 5 first.

MMA-GAF needs to make up their mind on whether they want to embrace sports entertainment or not. Arguments always change to suit the agenda at hand. Pretty sure everyone acknowledged in the 157 thread that Guida didn't do shit to Pettis and Hioki. Now it's "LOLZ, PETTIS COULDN'T BEAT GUIDA!"

Ricardo Lamas himself isn't very far removed from getting his lights put out by a Bantamweight.

Nothing changing in my opinion. Guida may be a blanket but Pettis didn't have a solution. And Guida was actually throwing elbows and hammerfists from the top in that fight. Big difference in that respect compared to the Hioki fight. And it's huge that immediately after that he looked like trash against Stephens. Both of those losses are a lot more relevant that "He beat Bendo 2 years ago by stealing the 5th round with a circus kick!"

And bringing up anyone's WEC fights as a performance gauge over their more recent UFC fights is silly as shit. If that's the case why isn't anyone pushing Mike Brown or Manny Gam?

TheNatural

My Member!

I'm not shitting on Pettis, I think he's great. I think he's better than any contender he could otherwise fight.

I just don't get why if Dana really only wanted to see like 3 guys (Aldo/Cruz/Faber) fight each other in some form at the lower weights when he killed WEC, then bring lightweights down anyway to fight Aldo, why did he even bother creating sub lightweight divisions in UFC? He doesn't even want the guys.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Nothing changing in my opinion. Guida may be a blanket but Pettis didn't have a solution. And Guida was actually throwing elbows and hammerfists from the top in that fight. Big difference in that respect compared to the Hioki fight. And it's huge that immediately after that he looked like trash against Stephens. Both of those losses are a lot more relevant that "He beat Bendo 2 years ago by stealing the 5th round with a circus kick!"

And bringing up anyone's WEC fights as a performance gauge over their more recent UFC fights is silly as shit. If that's the case why isn't anyone pushing Mike Brown or Manny Gam?

Do you think 2 years is a long time in a sport where most guys only compete twice a year?

Given that Guida is a lay and pray wrestler, I don't think it means much when you're judging both guys based on how they would hypothetically look against Aldo.

Do you think 2 years is a long time in a sport where most guys only compete twice a year?

Given that Guida is a lay and pray wrestler, I don't think it means much when you're judging both guys based on how they would hypothetically look against Aldo.

In those 2 years Bendo's had 6 fights, Guida 5, Pettis 4... Lighter division fighters fight more often because they accumulate less damage overall than heavier classes (barring injuries). Given that 2 years has been enough time for Bendo to legitimately work his way to a title shot and defend it twice.. I think it's more than enough time for a fighter to be completely different.

And that's my point. I'm not judging guys based on how they would hypothetically do against Aldo. I'm judging guys based on what they've actually done to earn themselves a fight against Aldo. Lamas is undefeated since joining the UFC. Pettis has lost one definitively and arguably lost another.

We all know how and why these fights happen. It's increasingly less and less about earning the shot with wins in the division and more about marketability and selling yourself. That puts the UFC squarely in the same league as Boxing in terms of politics behind matchups.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Friends, Crysis 3 was one of the most boring games I've ever played. Slightly less boring than watching a GSP fight.

Please tell me you played it at a buddy's house and didn't actually spend cash money on that shit.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
In those 2 years Bendo's had 6 fights, Guida 5, Pettis 4... Lighter division fighters fight more often because they accumulate less damage overall than heavier classes (barring injuries). Given that 2 years has been enough time for Bendo to legitimately work his way to a title shot and defend it twice.. I think it's more than enough time for a fighter to be completely different.

Bendo isn't much different at all though. He's getting more credit because he's fighting name competition but I don't see the big improvement he's supposedly made since fighting Pettis.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Just cut the bullshit and go to tournments like Bellator does. The UFC and its matchmaking is a fucking farce.

Zuffa doesn't like other people's good ideas unless those other people are TV/event executives.

Bendo isn't much different at all though. He's getting more credit because he's fighting name competition but I don't see the big improvement he's supposedly made since fighting Pettis.

He's faced better fighters and won consistently. Pettis floundered initially and only just now found his footing. Pettis hasn't even fought a top 5 guy yet. There's pretty clear evidence as to who improved since moving to the UFC and who is stagnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom