• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

Diaz will be fighting on the Glory NYE card after getting popped for weed again and cut.
While this could very well come to pass, the Diaz brothers are draws. I don't know how much of a draw he will remain after GSP manhandles him for five rounds - although my wife is always down for ordering a Diaz fight in hopes of seeing one get their face smashed in. I'd like to think she's representative of a certain subset of casual MMA fans.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I commend anyone for even knowing their number. I lost track of that shit years ago. My 'fuck everything that moves' phase lasted around 3 years and Im not a math major.

Well, me too. Stopped counting 4-5 years ago and that phase is still ongoing. What's the point anyway
once you hit three figures
?

I'd like to see Diaz win but it would mean he suddenly develops world class tdd.

nickdiaz271l08.jpg

gsp's already dead

MjFrancis

I'd consider a Diaz victory over GSP to be a legendary upset. Diaz is good but his relentless pitter-patter punches and elite conditioning can only get him so far.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'd like to see Diaz win but it would mean he suddenly develops world class tdd.

When you've got jitz like Nick Diaz you don't need TDD.

Still gonna get 50-45'd though.

Want to see a sneak preview of GSP/Diaz? Rewatch Bendo/Diaz. It'll play out in the exact same way. Sans the toothpick.

If Diaz wins it'll be the greatest moment in MMA history.

MjFrancis

Some other late thoughts about UFC on Fuel, since I was overwhelmed by the two KO's of the night.

Dong Hyun Kim is the definition of a gatekeeper in the sport.

Mizuto Hirota was painfully outclassed.

Yushin Okami would have lost under PRIDE rules, and almost repeated his loss at the last UFC in Japan.

Takanori Gomi needs a rematch because that decision was garbage.

And lastly, was anyone else flabbergasted as to why Struve was standing flat-footed in front of Mark Hunt for most of the fight? He was asking to get his jaw broken.

Fuck a rematch, Gomi deserves to be given te win retroactively and Diego should be forced to fight guys like Volkmann and Lay Praynard.

And like I said, Struve's fight IQ hit a new low on Saturday and that's quite the feat. Hunt gave up a few different subs to him on a silver platter and he failed to capitalize. Textbook shit.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
And lastly, was anyone else flabbergasted as to why Struve was standing flat-footed in front of Mark Hunt for most of the fight? He was asking to get his jaw broken.

I really thought Struve showcased improved cage intelligence during his win streak. Then he reverts right back to moron status.

MjFrancis

I really thought Struve showcased improved cage intelligence during his win streak. Then he reverts right back to moron status.
I agree that he fought poorly all around. It wasn't the Struve I remembered watching during the past four fights. Poly mentioned the subs but also the ground & pound opportunities he'd given up. That's the only way he wins by KO and he let Hunt shrug it off.

MjFrancis

Fuck a rematch, Gomi deserves to be given te win retroactively and Diego should be forced to fight guys like Volkmann and Lay Praynard.
If nothing else I want Uncle Dana & Co. to book Gomi's next fight as if he won this one.

Diego should be given a fight that will get him cut so I don't have to suffer though another crappy decision.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
And like I said, Struve's fight IQ hit a new low on Saturday and that's quite the feat. Hunt gave up a few different subs to him on a silver platter and he failed to capitalize. Textbook shit.
I agree that he fought poorly all around. It wasn't the Struve I remembered watching during the past four fights. Poly mentioned the subs but also the ground & pound opportunities he'd given up. That's the only way he wins by KO and he let Hunt shrug it off.

In the Miocic fight he was still doing his patented "hey, let's throw flying knees with hands down!" shit but showed flashes of learning from his mistakes that led to losses.

But his failings boil down to one thing and one thing alone. And that is there is absolutely zero reason why a high-level fighter with a 10 inch reach advantage and 13" height advantage should be getting outstruck. Especially when Mark Hunt was literally having to jump to punch him in the face! And when he was getting outstruck he turtled up instead of getting the fuck outta dodge like any other smart lengthy fighter does.

It's not as if Struve is being subbed or ragdolled on the ground, all of his failings come from presenting his opponent with a favorable striking opportunity that should be nullified by default by his length. Struve really needs to train with Vitali and Wladimir for 6 months to learn how to not get himself KO'd, as his inability (or even unwillingness) to retain a natural advantage is the sole thing stopping him from rising to a top fiver.

I don't see how u guys are claiming Struve was fighting dumb. In the first he pulled guard and tried to sub Hunt multiple times and failed. Tried to grapple again in the 2nd and couldn't do it. By the 3rd he was gassed as hell and couldn't grapple him so he had no choice but to stand and get KO'd.

He tried and failed. Hunts sub defense is what won him the fight IMO. If anyone was dumb in the fight it was Hunt. I was screaming at my TV when he kept playing on the ground.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Host, it's not an EITHER OR proposition. Struve fought dumb AND he gassed. Being gassed kind of compounded the issue in the 3rd round. Kind of like what happened to Overeem in the third round versus Silva.

Guru-Guru

Banned
So apparently Shogun and Nogueira have agreed to fight at an undecided event in June. I guess it hasn't been officially announced yet, as all the sources I can find are from Brazil.

MjFrancis

just looked at the whole 158 card as i made my picks and wow it's a shit card, even by GSP card standards.
I'm looking forward to the last three fights of the night and that's about it. I figure that's me and everyone else, though.

Rick Story is slated to fight Quinn Mulhern after Sean Pierson dropped out. I figure Rick is on the chopping block if he doesn't win. After beating Hendricks and Thiago Alves he's 1-3 with two decision losses where he clearly gassed and an unfortunate submission from Demian Maia.

Of course I only care about that because he's a local guy. He's more than likely going to gas and lose by decision. It's too bad because at one point he was considered a contender and now he's likely struggling just to keep his job.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Depending on how things play out with hendricks/condit and diaz/gsp, K1/ADCC-Maia might be the next best available guy by default. 3 wins in a row vs Stun-Gun, Horror Story, and Fitch is a pretty solid resume at 170. You could talk me into his resume being better than Hendricks or Condit. I think stylistically he presents an interesting opponent for slippery georges. He's got the best BJJ he's ever faced, good grappling, and a solid chin. He stood up with Silver for 25 minutes, so I don't think GSP is going to hurt him standing. something to chew on moving forward.

Depending on how things play out with hendricks/condit and diaz/gsp, K1/ADCC-Maia might be the next best available guy by default. 3 wins in a row vs Stun-Gun, Horror Story, and Fitch is a pretty solid resume at 170. You could talk me into his resume being better than Hendricks or Condit. I think stylistically he presents an interesting opponent for slippery georges. He's got the best BJJ he's ever faced, good grappling, and a solid chin. He stood up with Silver for 25 minutes, so I don't think GSP is going to hurt him standing. something to chew on moving forward.

jabjabjabjabjabjabjabjabjabjabjabjabrunjabjabjabjabjabjabjab

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Time to watch the card, too bad I spoiled myself. OTOH I only have to watch the last two fights...

Vio-Lence

Banned
Time to watch the card, too bad I spoiled myself. OTOH I only have to watch the last two fights...

Truth be told, both fights were kind of shitty, but had fun finishes for nostalgia purposes. Round 1 of Wand/Stann was a great scrap. Rd 2 it look like neither guy wanted to fight anymore until Wand got him with that overhand right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom