• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carano headlined one card in her career and it pulled the best numbers Strikeforce ever has for a non-Fedor main event. I don't know what you want me to say here because that's just what happened. Yes, if you think anyone was tuning in for Cyborg, you're kidding yourself. Not like I'm saying anyone tuned it to the 157 to see Liz Carmouche.

He was.

Then let's get Kimbo in the UFC with all that marketing behind him and it'll be great! Oh wait.. they did and he couldn't draw. He didn't have draw, the weird nature of his fame was the draw. Lesnar.. now he had draw. Win or lose the dude sold PPV's and sold out arenas. One outlier does not a case make my friend. And that's exactly what Caranos one ME was.. an outlier. Then Cyborg showed the world Carano was average in a sea of bad and Carano saw the writing on the wall and bailed. Even she knew she couldn't keep it up.

Vio-Lence

Banned
who you crappin friend? gina carano was a bigger name and household commodity than hot rod rowdy rousey. gina had a stint on prime-time television for 2 or 3 seasons on american gladiators. if you were on GAF 3 or 4 years ago this place was flooded with carano gifs.

Diaz firing truth, saying GSP never says he wants to fight the number 1. Diaz would be asking for Silva if he was GSP.

Even discounting his french side, GSP is too bitch made to ever become the number 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yj_Ystewa1A#t=49s

It is crazy Diaz, because he's a bitch.

who you crappin friend? gina carano was a bigger name and household commodity than hot rod rowdy rousey. gina had a stint on prime-time television for 2 or 3 seasons on american gladiators. if you were on GAF 3 or 4 years ago this place was flooded with carano gifs.

You guys are crazy.

Gina fought on free cards, she wasn't selling PPV's, not even on her biggest fight against cyborg. 500k ppv vs 500k non ppv.... Also gate for UFC 157 was almost 3x that of Gina vs Cyborg...

Let's not compare the media exposure either. Sorry folks, Honda is the first real women superstar in MMA.

It has set pieces, but its much more open.. Almost has a Zelda-esque open world where you see things you can't get because you. Don't have the proper items and you have to come back to them later.

This sounds awesome. I hope it has some bosses and some creatures to fight.

I was turned off by GoW:A when they said the games focus was MP. I knew it was going to be a 5 hour game. It looks sick but its a prequel that I never asked for.

muddream

Banned
All this stardom argument needs is selfmade graphs to reach peak autism.

Carano is hot for an actress, Honda is easy on the eyes for a female cage fighter. Carano has a likable persona, Honda gets tons of hatetweets and speaks through her nose. Carano is OK at MMA, Honda is great at it.

Pretty obvious who should stick to acting and who should stick to MMA.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

What he said. Short memory spans in effect here.

MjFrancis

You guys are crazy.

Gina fought on free cards, she wasn't selling PPV's, not even on her biggest fight against cyborg. 500k ppv vs 500k non ppv.... Also gate for UFC 157 was almost 3x that of Gina vs Cyborg...

Let's not compare the media exposure either. Sorry folks, Honda is the first real women superstar in MMA.
Gina was just the warm-up. Ronda is the real deal.

And does anyone remember what newpapers, magazines and talk shows featured Gina Carano back in her MMA days? I remember the ESPN body issue and... that's it.

Also, for giggles:

Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano: Head-to-Toe Breakdown
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1553285-ronda-rousey-vs-gina-carano-head-to-toe-breakdown

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

tumblr_m9rxcjOEZf1r5kyvmo1_500.gif

TheChits

Kevin Iole ‏@KevinI

UFC on Fuel 8 most-watched show in network history. Did 485k viewers, approx twice previous high. Post-fight show even did 219k viewers! MTK

Great news, but man they really need to make fuel more available

muddream

Banned
As a fan of horrible internet reality shows that might be the worst thing I have ever seen. Parents on the first date? Fucking idiot.

Guess what, he's the most succesful guy they've had on despite all of that. Dudes are rejecting females for shit like not sharing the same favorite LotR character or not knowing which obscure character they're cosplaying as. Most of the girls seem stuck at around age 15 emotionally, so it's basically a fun show about why you should stay the fuck away from fandoms.

Heel

New York MMA bill has moved to the senate floor for voting. It has passed there before. The snag in the past has been getting the serpentine assembly speaker Sheldon Silver to put the bill up for a vote in the assembly, where it would likely pass.

vMqy3vm.jpg

How it died last year:

The source said after eight people had spoken in favor of legalizing MMA and eight against, Silver called on members who don’t support the bill to raise their hands. About 25 members did.

Then he asked for a show of hands of those who support it before saying that it looked even, the source said.

An upstate member who supports the measure complained it didn’t look even to her, the source said. When Silver asked what she wanted, a city Democrat joked, a “slow roll call.”

The speaker took another informal vote, with 25 again raising their hands against. The “ayes” seemingly had more than 60, the source said.

Silver then said others had expressed opposition privately and that the votes weren’t there to move the bill.

TheNatural

My Member!
THE FIX NEVER DIEE!

According to Cro Cop's old manager they not only handpicked opponents for him, let opponents know about them fighting him as late as possible before their fight, crazy, but they also instructed the chosen referee(s) to help said protected fighter, Cro Cop:

PRIDE favored Mirko in matchmaking. We could handpick opponents, and PRIDE assisted us to ensure the opponents didn’t know that they were fighting Mirko until the last minute. Heath Herring and Igor Vovchanchyn were handpicked by us to set up victories on the road to a title fight with Fedor Emelianenko (who in the meantime had battered Nogueira to take the PRIDE heavyweight title). We all thought Mirko matched up better against Fedor than he would against Nogueira.

Most importantly, because PRIDE needed to protect their investment in their most marketable star, Mirko had the favor of the PRIDE referees—particularly Shimada. Shimada worked for PRIDE parent company Dream Stage Entertainment (DSE), including in its pro wrestling promotion and was close to top DSE management. Shimada knew what Sakakibara wanted and how to referee Mirko’s fights: quick stand-ups, repositions when things weren’t too good…watch the fights. These are little things, but they are helpful in a fight.

http://www.liverkick.com/index.php?...brought-down-pride-part-2&catid=43:interviews

Left kick 2 to 1, right kick 4 to 1, let it riiide.

brock-lesnar-mariachi-3-o.gif

MjFrancis

I can't get that friggin "I'm gonna pop some tags" song out of my head.
I never cared much for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis until I heard that song. Catchy.

And I'm just shaking my head at the PRIDE-era fixes. That's really where the line between sports and sports entertainment was indistinguishable. The Ultimate looks squeaky clean in comparison.

TheNatural

My Member!
I never cared much for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis until I heard that song. Catchy.

And I'm just shaking my head at the PRIDE-era fixes. That's really where the line between sports and sports entertainment was indistinguishable. The Ultimate looks squeaky clean in comparison.

What you talking 'bout bro? Fedor really was the GOAT. That's why he's booked versus Taker this year at Wrestlemania.

Heel

More Details Emerge on K-1's Ohio Cancellation

The rumored reason has been that the money which was supposed to cover costs for the K-1 Ohio event was used as an upfront payment to Badr Hari to secure his services for the K-1 World Grand Prix Finals. It was supposedly hand-delivered to Badr Hari in cash and has put a serious financial strain on the company.

lol K-1 is on the brink of disaster. Imagine if Badr can't leave the country.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Are you implying that they did fuck it up? I thought it was mostly good.
No friend, I'm expressing a vote of confidence in them because Human Revolution was good and these devs are actually aware of a revered franchise's history and will do what they can to do it justice.

FACE

Banned
Why is Doug Church wasting his talents at Valve? Eidos Montreal should try to hire him.

Edit: I hope the blackjack is back

TDS_garrettblackjack.jpg

I need to see more. Human Revolution was good so that gives me hope that Thief can be good too, but I think it's too easy to fuck up the game design, specially when developers seem to think stealth is just a complementary system to action these days.

FACE

Banned
I need to see more. Human Revolution was good so that gives me hope that Thief can be good too, but I think it's to easy to fuck up the game design, specially when developers seem to think stealth is just a complementary system to action these days.

That'd be specially bad in a Thief game.

TheNatural

My Member!

Is Fox Sports 1 the replacement for Fuel? i'm listening to radio right now and they're talking about all this shit that will be on it, it sounds legit .

And I've always thought smaller ESPN Friday Night Fights type shows over the course of the year was a better replacement for TUF and wasting good fighters on mediocre cards. UFC is now getting into the BadMMA market.

bone_and_sinew

TheChits

This is nebulous vocabulary. Does this mean TUF every Wednesday? Past UFC shows airing UFC Unleashed style every Wednesday? A new card (previously aired on the weekend) every Wednesday? New new cards every Wednesday (ha, they still need to cut people and shit is watered down as it is).

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch
Fox Sports One will air 12 UFC "Fight Nights" on Wednesdays from Aug 17 through end of year. Bouts will air from 8PM-11PM.
Seems like new new fights. My guess is that they do fewer ppvs and build guys up through these weekly shows, leaving the "big fights" for ppv

TheNatural

My Member!
Seems like new new fights. My guess is that they do fewer ppvs and build guys up through these weekly shows, leaving the "big fights" for ppv

LOL no.

I expect Facebook/TUF fighters on these cards. It's probably going to be the UFC equivalent of Friday Night Fights.

bone_and_sinew

So the new MMA schedule then is

Monday: nothing

Tuesday: TUF (for the poor bastards who still subject themselves to this form of torture)

Wednesday: UFC BAD MMA

Thursday: Bellatorussia

Friday: Worldwide Bad MMA

Saturday: Ultimates

Heel

Well, seems it's a 12 episode season of fights on Fox Sports 1. I hope they settle in soon. They really need to centralize their programming instead of spreading it across 4 channels. Joe TapouT ain't following this shit.

@richarddeitsch - Fox Sports 1 will debut a documentary series in Fall of 2013. First subject: Mike Tyson.

This could be cool.

bone_and_sinew

New Humble Bundle is out folks. Jump aboard.
Never heard of any of the games. Still need to buy System Shock 2 and Uncharted 3 (which is why I don't care about the new Tomb Raider). So yeah, no interest in this one.

I must have missed the memo. What the heck is Fox Sports One?
Newscorp is going to take shots at the espn/disney throne and are restructuring/rebranding and making a network to directly compete with espn. Speed TV will become FOX SPORTS 1, Fuel tv will become FOX SPORTS 2, they're also launching FX Movies and I don't know what happens to regular FX.

More info: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/s...-can-challenge-espn.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom