• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

She probably said something about that in the past, or maybe it had something to do with her dodging Cyborg.

That's the sports entertainment aspect of MMA. Rousey v. Carano? Awesome. Rousey v. Cyborg? Meh.

Speaking of heavyweights, UFC just signed Soa Palelei. He's on a 8 win streak - all 8 are KOs and 7 of the 8 are first round finishes. The dude is 6'4" and has to cut to make 265 but he looks pretty cut.

NOTE: One of those wins was against Bob Sapp so obviously that one doesn't count.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
That was over after the first kick. Do you guys really think anything after that was okay?

It was over the top. But, he put himself in there. Don't go to Thailand and make fun of their sport or their manhood. They take that shit seriously. If he'd have been in the Philippines, he'd have experienced a change of lifestyle.

Heel

That was over after the first kick. Do you guys really think anything after that was okay?

Given the premise of a guy going into someone's gym specifically looking for a fight, then flying forward trying to take their head off, I'd say he was due for a life lesson.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't think I'll ever have more fun following a sports team in my lifetime than this current Heat team. The only thing that could come close is a Dolphins dynasty, which has about as much chance of happening in my lifetime as aliens arriving to Earth.

I don't think I'll ever have more fun following a sports team in my lifetime than this current Heat team. The only thing that could come close is a Dolphins dynasty, which has about as much chance of happening in my lifetime as aliens arriving to Earth.

7fcfc683a35dc1ed0898836eebc66a30_large

Made me laugh. I still remember when JJ owned Lebron.

She is getting at least a million, probably more, for about 5-6 months of work. You think Ronda is getting a million from 5-6 months of training + fight?

For Carmouche she got 145k disclosed... not counting sponsors, locker room bonus, points on the PPV and possibly points on the gate. So she's probably somwhere near 500k for one fight.

Here's the kicker though. Gina has done 3 movies in 4 years and is not a great actress or action star. At best she's doing a movie a year. Ronda will have at least 2 fights a year and could easily have more if the contenders are there and she continues finishing quickly without getting hurt. And the longer Ronda wins, the more she'll get paid. Carano could potentially never get a movie again.

Focusing on MMA is the better career and money choice for Ronda with all things considered. If she can do both, more power to her but anything more than a bit part and her MMA will suffer and that's a bad move.

Carano made 125k to show at her last fight which is more than Rousey got for UFC 157, even counting her win bonus. No doubt both got other bonuses so let's not pretend Gina was making peanuts here.

Proof is in the pudding as they say.

Ronda made 90k on the fight and 45k on the win bonus.. that's 135k to Carano's 125k. Ronda's other payouts are going to be bigger than Carano's previous payouts as well because she's an undefeated Champ. Carano didn't dominate as badly as Rousey does either. A good move for Carano doesn't necessitate a good move for Rousey.

He loses if the fight stays standing too.
Ya, that underused MMA jab might get the D for Georges too.

When you've got jitz like Nick Diaz you don't need TDD.
He better take some of this too.

OIyPwLr.jpg

And lastly, was anyone else flabbergasted as to why Struve was standing flat-footed in front of Mark Hunt for most of the fight? He was asking to get his jaw broken.
I think Struve was on Carmouche Way early after the first time Hunt connected. Give him cred for surviving as long as he did.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ronda Rousey: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus)
def. Liz Carmouche: $12,000

Her payout was 45/45, not 90/45. Furthermore:

The event averaged 576,000 viewers on the Showtime cable network. It peaked with 856,000 viewers for the night's main event between Carano and Santos. The Carano vs. Cyborg event set a new MMA ratings record for Showtime, eclipsing a card headlined with Kimbo Slice and Tank Abbot, which averaged 522,000 viewers.

MMA Fighting is reporting that the event drew an average number of viewers of 529,000. Here's some more specifics on the ratings:

The broadcast peaked at 676,000 viewers for the Rousey vs. Kaufman Strikeforce bantamweight title
, which is also the highest number this year for Strikeforce.

You guys have forgotten how big Gina was when was around. The only person who drew bigger ratings in Strikeforce history was Fedor. Put the UFC marketing machine behind Carano and she would smoke Rousey as a draw.

Yeah it looks like I read the numbers wrong on her payout. Still getting a portion of the PPV is a big difference maker.

You're taking Carano and Santos which were two of the most mainstream names at the time (because they both got EliteXC exposure on CBS) and pitting them up against Rousey and Kaufman... Rousey who had only just stood out in to the mainstream in her defeating Tate and Kaufman who most people still don't know anything about today.

Put Rousey's pre-Strikeforce fights on CBS then put her against a name with as much draw as hers and she'd blow those Carano numbers out of the water friend. Carano's exposure was due to being pretty on Public TV on cards that featured Kimbo Slice and Andrei Arlovski.

All things being even, Rousey is bigger than Carano ever was and is more skilled to boot. She's got Cyborg lying about wanting to have kids someday just to dodge her.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah it looks like I read the numbers wrong on her payout. Still getting a portion of the PPV is a big difference maker.

You're taking Carano and Santos which were two of the most mainstream names at the time (because they both got EliteXC exposure on CBS)and pitting them up against Rousey and Kaufman... Rousey who had only just stood out in to the mainstream in her defeating Tate and Kaufman who most people still don't know anything about today.

Put Rousey's pre-Strikeforce fights on CBS then put her against a name with as much draw as hers and she'd blow those Carano numbers out of the water friend. Carano's exposure was due to being pretty on Public TV on cards that featured Kimbo Slice and Andrei Arlovski.

All things being even, Rousey is bigger than Carano ever was and is more skilled to boot. She's got Cyborg lying about wanting to have kids someday just to dodge her.

That's rather dishonest. Nobody gave a fuck about Cyborg then and nobody gives a fuck about Cyborg now. She never maintained any drawing power after the Carano fight and most people seem to credit the decline of womens mma to her dominance of the division (though I think that's unfair to her).

Facts are Carano made more money fighting than Rousey, Carano put more asses in the stands than Rousey and Carano drew higher ratings than Rousey. The logical conclusion is Carano was a bigger name than Rousey. Beauty beats talent when we're discussing womens sports.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This is bizarre. Uncle Dana talking at Trinity College's University Philosophical Society.

http://youtu.be/ESRGlQS2ymA
Uncle Dana is now a bastion of progressive tolerance and equality. You know, the same guy that called Loretta Hunt a dumb cunt and freaked out with Dennis Hallman's speedos.

I don't think Uncle Dana is any more homophobic or sexist than the average Joe, it's just funny to see this new angle of his that came during the Honda fight promotion

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
This is bizarre. Uncle Dana talking at Trinity College's University Philosophical Society.

http://youtu.be/ESRGlQS2ymA

What. I can't watch it now but is it... good? What does he talk about? All I can imagine is him talking about the Irish fighting spirit and saying "the thing about Yeats is, the guy was a fucking stud."

It's Uncle Dana giving his usual canned responses, except to Irish college students in suits. Nothing special, just a bizarre juxtaposition.

That's rather dishonest. Nobody gave a fuck about Cyborg then and nobody gives a fuck about Cyborg now. She never maintained any drawing power after the Carano fight and most people seem to credit the decline of womens mma to her dominance of the division (though I think that's unfair to her).

Facts are Carano made more money fighting than Rousey, Carano put more asses in the stands than Rousey and Carano drew higher ratings than Rousey. The logical conclusion is Carano was a bigger name than Rousey. Beauty beats talent when we're discussing womens sports.

You're comparing viewer numbers 2 years apart in match of two of the highest exposed Female MMA fighters (those CBS shows had MILLIONS of viewers) vs a green champ in her first defense and a girl nobody knows to this day.. and I'm being dishonest? That Carano card also had 3 title fights on it.

You're ignoring popularity of the sport relative to each year, previous exposure, and completely ignoring that Rousey just carried a PPV to more buys than the last Anderson Silva fight.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
tbf Canderson's never been much of a draw and his last fight was against Bonner. Though I imagine GSP would still get a fair few buys for a short notice fight against someone like Belcher.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You're comparing viewer numbers 2 years apart in match of two of the highest exposed Female MMA fighters (those CBS shows had MILLIONS of viewers) vs a green champ in her first defense and a girl nobody knows to this day.. and I'm being dishonest? That Carano card also had 3 title fights on it.

You're ignoring popularity of the sport relative to each year, previous exposure, and completely ignoring that Rousey just carried a PPV to more buys than the last Anderson Silva fight.

The Carano/Cyborg card peaked during her own fight. Trying to pretend like people gave a fuck about Gil Melendez is just as bad as pretending they cared about Cyborg.

You're trying to argue the how and why of Carano's popularity and I'm simply telling you she was quite popular and bigger than Rousey is right now. This shouldn't even be up for the debate. Ronda might get there someday but she just isn't right now. "If Ronda got to fight on CBS and fight against Cyborg, etc, etc" Well, she didn't so why are we discussing this?

The Carano/Cyborg card peaked during her own fight. Trying to pretend like people gave a fuck about Gil Melendez is just as bad as pretending they cared about Cyborg.

You're trying to argue the how and why of Carano's popularity and I'm simply telling you she was quite popular and bigger than Rousey is right now. This shouldn't even be up for the debate. Ronda might get there someday but she just isn't right now. "If Ronda got to fight on CBS and fight against Cyborg, etc, etc" Well, she didn't so why are we discussing this?

Carano had no draw in any other fight in her career. You're literally using her only headline show and downplaying her opponent in that fight in the same breath. It's silly. It's like saying Silva pulled 1mill on his own in 148 when he averages around 300k less than that.

I'm not arguing how and why she's popular, I'm explaining context. Without context you could claim Kimbo is one of the greatest draws of all time because EliteXC: Primetime peaked at 6.51 million viewers in his Main Event.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Carano had no draw in any other fight in her career. You're literally using her only headline show and downplaying her opponent in that fight in the same breath. It's silly. It's like saying Silva pulled 1mill on his own in 148 when he averages around 300k less than that.
Carano headlined one card in her career and it pulled the best numbers Strikeforce ever has for a non-Fedor main event. I don't know what you want me to say here because that's just what happened. Yes, if you think anyone was tuning in for Cyborg, you're kidding yourself. Not like I'm saying anyone tuned it to the 157 to see Liz Carmouche.

I'm not arguing how and why she's popular, I'm explaining context. Without context you could claim Kimbo is one of the greatest draws of all time because EliteXC: Primetime peaked at 6.51 million viewers in his Main Event.

He was.

I feel like I'm going to end up impulse buying either Tomb Raider or God of War. Don't really want either but I'm bored.
God of War Ascension is not worth it. Fucking game has an atrocious frame rate, try the demo for proof. Tomb Raider beats that game easy, and this is coming from someone who loved number 3.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
God of War Ascension is not worth it. Fucking game has an atrocious frame rate, try the demo for proof. Tomb Raider beats that game easy, and this is coming from someone who loved number 3.

Is Tomb Raider as focused around set pieces as Uncharted is? I'm a little worried because Uncharted games always wear out their welcome halfway through and I end up forcing myself to finish them.

Is Tomb Raider as focused around set pieces as Uncharted is? I'm a little worried because Uncharted games always wear out their welcome halfway through and I end up forcing myself to finish them.
It has set pieces, but its much more open.. Almost has a Zelda-esque open world where you see things you can't get because you. Don't have the proper items and you have to come back to them later.

SteveWD40

Lol at Riddle saying he wants to fight cans with a 5-2 record.

Riddle is the canniest can on the can heap. He called out Daley as well, which makes sense for him as they can snuggle but Daley on form stuffed Jake Shields more than once and I would pay all the money in my pockets to watch him Clubber Lang his way into Riddles skull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom