• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Alvarez were to get dominated by Chandler, the UFC should even bother scooping him up. Alvarez could beat up a good chunk of the lightweights in the UFC including Bendo and that would just look bad on their part. I'm glad Bellator is finally picking up some steam though. UFC needs some great competition to get out of their rut. Hopefully Bellator picks up a few other castaways to bolster their shitty roster.
Aww what? You didn't love that flyweight tournament last year?

edit: apparently victor vs machida is in the works
In Brazil no doubt. Despite the fact that Dana yelled a profanity laced statement at the press that Belfort doesn't have to fight in Brazil and can be sanctioned anywhere. Still and all, I like this fight.

Vitor vs Machida is too soon. Fight should happen if they both lose their next fights. Vitor is on a 2 fight win streak and Machida on a 3 fight win streak.

VoxPop

Maia vs Shields.

Return of K-1 Maia and super star striker Jake Shields.

For some reason, I see Shields taking this one. Don't think Maia can control Shields like he did with Fitch. Shields has also outstruck the best in Akiyama and GSP.

Maklershed said:
Aww what? You didn't love that flyweight tournament last year?

I have less interest in flyweights than watching Machida/Hendo again.

Vitor vs Machida is too soon. Fight should happen if they both lose their next fights. Vitor is on a 2 fight win streak and Machida on a 3 fight win streak.

Phil-Davis-Unguarded-Video.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Factually speaking, Lyoto Machida is 3-4 in his last 7 fights (3-5 in his last 8). I think it's time we stop talking about him like he's a relevant name in MMA.

Heel

Looks like Bellator is out of the women's MMA business. Jessica Eye, Jessica Aguilar and Felice Herrig have been released. Herrig already signed with Invicta.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Looks like Bellator is out of the women's MMA business. Jessica Eye, Jessica Aguilar and Felice Herrig have been released. Herrig already signed with Invicta.

Good for those girls. Invicta and Ultimate are better options for chick scrappers.

Heel

Vitor isn't just ducking Gegard da Gawd by moving between divisions, he's essentially pairing him up with a wrestler.

Yeah, pretty much. I'll gladly take Mousasi vs. Shogun if he somehow gets by the Shael. Otherwise...uh, Lil' Nog?

Dude needs to dip to middleweight. We all know that.

VoxPop

Yeah, pretty much. I'll gladly take Mousasi vs. Shogun if he somehow gets by the Shael. Otherwise...uh, Lil' Nog?

Dude needs to dip to middleweight. We all know that.

I'd rather see Gegard matched up against someone like Thiago Silva or Vera in a warmup bout. I don't think they should blow the load and have him get destroyed by any decent wrestler scrub fighter like Bader. With nice Pride style matchmaking capped off with a dominant win over Shogun, they could build a semi credible opponent for Bones.

Heel

I'd rather see Gegard matched up against someone like Thiago Silva or Vera in a warmup bout. I don't think they should blow the load and have him get destroyed by any decent wrestler scrub fighter like Bader. With nice Pride style matchmaking capped off with a dominant win over Shogun, they could build a semi credible opponent for Bones.

You say that as if Joe Silver knows how to build a contender.

Mousasi vs. Davis incoming, playboys.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You say that as if Joe Silver knows how to build a contender.

Mousasi vs. Davis incoming, playboys.

I probably laughed a bit too hard at this.

until his bloated corpse can't walk down the aisle to step into the Octagon.

same like Chuck, Wand, Randy, Goat WW Hughes, etc.

I think that only applied to Chuck. A win over Hughes, Randy, and Wanderlei never got anyone shit.

Heel

until his bloated corpse can't walk down the aisle to step into the Octagon.

same like Chuck, Wand, Randy, Goat WW Hughes, etc.

Yep, the "He knocked out a former UFC champion, viciously." soundbyte is always good for a contender push.

Glover should have Shogun on his reel as we speak. Now we have Joe Silver risking a PPV on Ryan Bader.

VoxPop

Yep, the "He knocked out a former UFC champion, viciously." soundbyte is always good for a contender push.

Glover should have Shogun on his reel as we speak. Now we have Joe Silver risking a PPV on Ryan Bader.

Sounds like that Fedor propaganda.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Any of you guys seen Olympus Has Fallen? Pretty solid I think, a hell of a lot better take on the concept than White House Down was.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I find it funny that 2 projects like that were released so close to one another. I've seen OHF and thought it was decent.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I find it funny that 2 projects like that were released so close to one another. I've seen OHF and thought it was decent.

Seems to be a common occurrence. I remember when those two friends with benefits romantic comedies dropped right next to each other a couple years back. I think we know Hollywood is creatively bankrupt.

Heel

Any of you guys seen Olympus Has Fallen? Pretty solid I think, a hell of a lot better take on the concept than White House Down was.

Wasn't feeling it. Though most movies I watch are with friends, where it turns into a Mystery Science 3000 session and no movie is given a chance to be perceived as good.

Any Criterion nerds out there? Looking for recommendations. I've burned through most of their Kurosawa joints in my lifetime but not much beyond that. On deck from my friendly suburban library:

Brazil
Solaris
Straw Dogs
Bicycle Thives
Breathless (Jean Seberg > Sweet Young McKayla)
The 400 Blows

Bless me with the art knowledge, brehs.

Wasn't feeling it. Though most movies I watch are with friends, where it turns into a Mystery Science 3000 session and no movie is given a chance to be perceived as good.

Any Criterion nerds out there? Looking for recommendations. I've burned through most of their Kurosawa joints in my lifetime but not much beyond that. On deck from my friendly suburban library:

Brazil
Solaris
Straw Dogs
Bicycle Thives
The 400 Blows

Breathless
Straw Dogs
Solaris/The 400 Blows
Bicycle Thieves
Brazil

Brazil
Solaris
Straw Dogs
Bicycle Thives
The 400 Blows

The Game
The Naked City
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
La Jetee <-- the inspiration for 12 Monkeys
Bottle Rocket <-- The best Wes Anderson movie imo
Dazed and Confused
The Devil's Backbone

Vio-Lence

Banned
On deck from my friendly suburban library:

Brazil
Solaris
Straw Dogs
Bicycle Thives
The 400 Blows

Breathless is a lot of fun, I'd start there.
Brazil is great.

I would recommend picking up some Terrence Malick films. Checkout the Criterion releases for Badlands, Days of Heaven, and The Thin Red Line.

Also seek out the Three Colors Trilogy. All 3 movies are great, but I especially like Red and White.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Seems to be a common occurrence. I remember when those two friends with benefits romantic comedies dropped right next to each other a couple years back. I think we know Hollywood is creatively bankrupt.

Armageddon and Deep Impact.
Braveheart and Rob Roy.
Volcano and Dante's Peak.
Red Planet and Mission to Mars.

Shit's been around since forever.

Heel

Thanks for the recs guys. Keep 'em coming.

Out of these I've seen 'The Game', 'Fear and Loathing' and 'Thin Red Line'. I remember Devil's Backbone being near the top of some horror countdown I watched some years back, but never got around to watching it.

I should probably spring for a Hulu Plus membership since they have most (all?) of the Criterion collection up for streaming. Is the quality acceptable on there? I don't care on a videophile 'I counted the pixels' sort of level, but if they crop half of the movie off I won't even bother.

http://whatnetflixdoes.tumblr.com/

Guru-Guru

Banned
I wonder how Mousasi will be after all the surgery he has had. The guy has a lot of wear and tear for all the fights he has been in. They should give him a non-wrestler can who will stand and bang with him.

Hulu CC shit is approved and supplied directly from CC. You get the proper ratios and the quality is good.

Killing of A Chinese Bookie is a must see if you get Hulu+. John Cassavetes was a fucking god.

TheChits

Thanks for the recs guys. Keep 'em coming.

Out of these I've seen 'The Game', 'Fear and Loathing' and 'Thin Red Line'. I remember Devil's Backbone being near the top of some horror countdown I watched some years back, but never got around to watching it.

I should probably spring for a Hulu Plus membership since they have most (all?) of the Criterion collection up for streaming. Is the quality acceptable on there? I don't care on a videophile 'I counted the pixels' sort of level, but if they crop half of the movie off I won't even bother.

http://whatnetflixdoes.tumblr.com/
Devil's Backbone is definitely worth your time. Some other Criterion stuff that I really enjoyed which has not been mentioned: Chungking Express, Still Walking, Ivan's Childhood, and Le Samourai

Heel

Hulu CC shit is approved and supplied directly from CC. You get the proper ratios and the quality is good.

Killing of A Chinese Bookie is a must see if you get Hulu+. John Cassavetes was a fucking god.

Cool, will probably end up doing Hulu at some point. Just figured out that I can request DVDs from a shit ton of libraries around the state and have them sent to my local branch. About all of the Criterion collection has no wait line. You can probably do it too. I'm going in lol.

http://csul.iii.com/

Netflix was nice enough to recommend Killing of a Chinese Bookie to me what must've been over 10 years ago now. Great movie. I might have to watch it again now that you mention it.

Devil's Backbone is definitely worth your time. Some other Criterion stuff that I really enjoyed which has not been mentioned: Chungking Express, Still Walking, Ivan's Childhood, and Le Samourai

I'll add them to my list. I have been hearing about Chungking Express for years but have never got around to it.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I have been hearing about Chungking Express for years but have never got around to it.

not the biggest fan of the movie, but i bought the bluray because i read it was going oop. i'd say you could skip it and go for the best Wong Kar-wai movie In the Mood for Love.

Heel

not the biggest fan of the movie, but i bought the bluray because i read it was going oop. i'd say you could skip it and go for the best Wong Kar-wai movie In the Mood for Love.

I think at this point I should just see it and stop wondering. I'll add that one to my list though. Thanks.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
For some reason, I see Shields taking this one. Don't think Maia can control Shields like he did with Fitch. Shields has also outstruck the best in Akiyama and GSP.

I have less interest in flyweights than watching Machida/Hendo again.

Phil-Davis-Unguarded-Video.jpg

K1 Maia will walk all over Shields. Shields had trouble outstriking some random dude on bulky beatdown.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I think one of Machida's camp said that it'd be a suitable soccer stadium fight for Brazil.

If you have a fight like Wanderlei vs. Chael as the co-main you might just have a chance at that.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think one of Machida's camp said that it'd be a suitable soccer stadium fight for Brazil.

If you have a fight like Wanderlei vs. Chael as the co-main you might just have a chance at that.

Shale's not gonna go to brazil. Theyd be passing his body parts around the crowd like beach balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom