• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddream

Banned
I'm not convinced people give a shit about Cand or the Cowardly Pissant in Brazil, at least not in a way that fills soccer stadiums. They were both exposed before the UFC really took off over there and we've already seen how loyal they were to their fallen idol Canderson. The guy went from being legit mad whenever he had to fight fellow Brazilians to sucking off Uncle Sam live on PPV, shameful shit.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Looks like Bellator is out of the women's MMA business. Jessica Eye, Jessica Aguilar and Felice Herrig have been released. Herrig already signed with Invicta.

tumblr_mgxkb9mfaD1qex2mao1_500.jpg
I had no idea there was a MMA and Chickostick crossover.

Dysun

Am I the only one unimpressed by the Fox Sports 1 card. I keep reading tweets about how stacked the card is, compared to the last few events you could get confused, but...

Irrelevant past his prime MW vs Irrelevant past his prime LHW main event
Faber vs some guy
Irish guy vs some guy
Journeyman extraordinaire Matt Brown vs some guy
+
HW's who lost to Bigfoot
Joe Lauzon squash match, should be entertaining

Sad times if this is the ultimates 2013 version of stacked cards

Am I the only one unimpressed by the Fox Sports 1 card. I keep reading tweets about how stacked the card is, compared to the last few events you could get confused, but...

Faber vs some guy
Irish guy vs some guy
+
HW's who lost to Bigfoot

Yes. Enjoy your cards with Phil Davis, Ryan Bader, Mighty Mouse & Jake Shields headlining.

Dysun

You could have finished reading the first line you bolded

I guess when you get fed shit over and over, garbage doesn't taste so bad

VoxPop

Faber vs some guy
Irish guy vs some guy
+
HW's who lost to Bigfoot

Sounds like Pride 33: Second Coming

Irrelevant MW vs Irrelevant LHW main event

Their LW champ going up against some scrub named Diaz who is 3-3 in his last 6

Skinny overrated fighter rematching the best 205er in the biz for no reason

2 HWs who are just as slow and plodding as Big Foot

Irish guy vs Hellboy

Supposed to be a squash match with #2 LHW in the world fighting 2-1 Sokoudjou

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have to agree with Dysun. It's the best card we've had in awhile, still doesn't make it a good card. I want fights that have meaning, brehs.

Heel

The only thing with true meaning in this sport is entertainment. If you want something "relevant" for free you can enjoy some truly awful #1 contender and title fights on FOX cards.

This card is lightning in a bottle with a ton of action matchmaking. That's all I can ask for in the era of watered down cards, where fights with true impact on the landscape of a division come around once per pay-per-view.

I judge cards by three things: Name recognition of fighters, how hungry for the win / vicious the fighters are, and how good the match ups are. This upcoming card may not have big star powers but they're all guys I'm familiar with. They're almost all dudes that work hard for wins. And all the match ups are competitive. On paper I think this is one of the best events of the year. In practice it could all be stalemate decisions but I sincerely doubt thats gonna happen. Even Faber has been looking good lately and been involved in good fights.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
None of these match ups look entertaining either, brehs. The standards have sunk through the roof around here. It saddens me what this sport has become.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I can't imagine how upset these cards would make me if I actually still gave a damn about this sports entertainment organization. I've moved on way past the point of apathy. I don't even know how to categorize my feelings towards UFC, maybe ambivalence.

This is probably how I felt about the WWE back in 2003 or 2004 when I moved on from the squared circle. What's going to fill my sports entertainment fix in 2014?

Dysun

I just can't get excited for journeyman, gatekeeper, or hasbeen fights even if they are proven scrappers.

Don't see the point in watching Chael lay on Shogun for 3 rounds, when neither are relevant in their respective divisions or even have heat with each other. This Chael vs Brazil shtick is like 4 years late to the party

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
None of these match ups look entertaining either, brehs. The standards have sunk through the roof around here. It saddens me what this sport has become.
you're just being negative

you don't want to see somebodies names you recognize beat up cans for your entertainment?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I just can't get excited for journeyman, gatekeeper, or hasbeen fights even if they are proven scrappers.

Don't see the point in watching Chael lay on Shogun for 3 rounds, when neither are relevant in their respective divisions or even have heat with each other. This Chael vs Brazil shtick is like 4 years late to the party

That's what I'm saying, brehs. Chael/Shogun main event is only slightly less embarrassing than Tito/Rampage or Wand/Franklin.

you're just being negative

you don't want to see somebodies names you recognize beat up cans for your entertainment?

The only fight I want to see is Reem/Browne and that's because both guys might still have a future in their division.

I can't imagine how upset these cards would make me if I actually still gave a damn about this sports entertainment organization. I've moved on way past the point of apathy. I don't even know how to categorize my feelings towards UFC, maybe ambivalence.

This is probably how I felt about the WWE back in 2003 or 2004 when I moved on from the squared circle. What's going to fill my sports entertainment fix in 2014?

You turned your back to the UFC..what happened?

Everyone knows its garbage. Only people of the same IQ level as Dana White eat the shit he serves...BUT...BUT...Alistair is gonna rip Travis' heart out. Innit awesome!?

You gotta pick your spots with this sport...

Vio-Lence

Banned
You turned your back to the UFC..what happened?

Everyone knows its garbage. Only people of the same IQ level as Dana White eat the shit he serves...BUT...BUT...Alistair is gonna rip Travis' heart out. Innit awesome!?

The Western Roman Empire didn't decline overnight brah. It's a gradual process that you hardly notice. My apathy towards this sport has been building for 2 years plus. If it wasn't for the wonderful collection of misfits posting in this community, I would have left it behind already.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Part of the cycle. Hardcore fan --> Casual fan --> Mckayla fan. Your final destination awaits.

Some days these guys will wake up and appreciate real explosive and athletic female athletes like Ms. Maroney and Ms. Serena Williams. Uncle Dana Bae trying to sell us shit sandwiches named Honda and FartFace as premiere athletes.

Heel

I think that fight is a lot more interesting than people are giving it credit for. If you don't think Hapa could knock Overeem into Mandalay Bay, you're sleeping.

MjFrancis

The Reem ain't going anywhere unless he retires. We've been over this, the UFC heavyweight division is far too shallow these days for a name like Overeem to get dropped. This is the same UFC that had Shane Carwin listed as a Top 10 HW after sitting on the sidelines for two years.

MjFrancis

I think that fight is a lot more interesting than people are giving it credit for. If you don't think Hapa could knock Overeem into Mandalay Bay, you're sleeping.
I bet I could go back and quote just about every regular complaining that Overeem's fight versus Bigfoot was a squash match, that there was no way Overeem could lose, that it was pointless or maybe even that the fight was fixed in Overeem's favor.

The whole thread was asleep on that fight.

Dysun

Not without good reason, Bigfoot had just been murdered in the octagon by Can in a scene reminiscent to a slasher film.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is he actually a draw though?

Reem is a draw for the SMALL slice of people who got out of UFC when Bork lost to him a couple years ago. "Oh that's the dude that beat Bork" is about all he musters. I like the dude but yknow.

Heel

I bet I could go back and quote just about every regular complaining that Overeem's fight versus Bigfoot was a squash match, that there was no way Overeem could lose, that it was pointless or maybe even that the fight was fixed in Overeem's favor.

The whole thread was asleep on that fight.

There's a difference between a fluke (Bigfoot's wins over Overeem, Hapa, and of course Fedor) and a legitimate pairing that's under the radar like this one. I think Hapa is criminally undervalued after the voodoo curse leg injury he suffered versus Bigfoot Silver.

That said, Overeem 3.0 is unstoppable, etc. Looking forward to it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Now that Reem has tasted the humble pie, I expect him to roll off another 10+ fight win streak. Nothing stops this train, playboys.

So this is what Mayhem posted on his web page. Can somebody translate this?

To Who it Concerns:

I and I beg for forgiveness. If I have brought shame or pain upon Anna, her Father, her Mother, her Sister, her children and Shiloh. Know this; JAH THE ALMIGHTY SHALL JUDGE AND NO-MAN.

I LOVE YOU.

I APOLOGIZE WITH ALL MY HEART, DURING THE MOST CHALLENGING TIME OF MY life, I ask only for YOU TO UNNASTAN. 33.

Samakatuwid magsisi at palayasin sa gayon na ang iyong mga kasalanan ay maaaring wiped-out
Mga Gawa 03:19

-J. Mayhem Lion

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So this is what Mayhem posted on his web page. Can somebody translate this?
Mayhem thinks he's Jamaican now or something:

Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller Releases Rastafarian-Themed Apology Following His Domestic Violence Arrest, And It Is F*cking Crazy
“Hear me now” (pronounced “ear mih nah”) is a common expression in reggae/dancehall music, as well as in reggae/dancehall parodies. ** “I and I” is a Rastafari expression used to signify the oneness of God and Man. *** “Jah” is the Rastafari name for God. **** Unclear. Miller may have been pondering the timeless mystery of the Rolling Rock bottle. ***** As far as I can tell, Mayhem is phonetically transcribing Acts 3:19 in tagalog. Acts 3:19 reads, “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.” Makes sense. ****** i.e., the Lion of Judah, an Ethiopian symbol for Emperor Haile Selassie I borrowed by the Rastafari movement. When used by an American, it often signifies a disturbing shift in identity. So yeah, pretty bizarre stuff. We can only hope that one day, after he’s released from jail, Mayhem can look back on this insanity and blame it on sleep-deprivation and energy drinks.

muddream

Banned
I only judge cards on their level of scrappyness & lack of Francis Carmont in this post-personality era. FOX Sports 1 card is about as good as it gets.

UFC is better than ever imo. I will say the PPVs arent as 'special' feeling but still. There have never been more great fighters in the UFC at one time.

Heel

For those of you eagerly anticipating the next episode of Fight Master: Bellator MMA, Spike has swept it off into a corner to die. Thursdays at 11 PM.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with Shane.I just want to see good fights. I don't care if a fighter is relevant or not. This is one of the best cards on paper in a long time. I'll take whatever good fights I can get with how bad the UFC has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom