• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take a guaranteed 4500 yard/35 TD QB over a top HB in fantasy. Easier to find production from a HB in the lower rounds while Brees will get you top level production every week.

EDIT - Well, that's not taking PPR into account. I'd still go with Brees though.

I'm going with Cam Newton with my first pick again. He turned it on late in the season.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Lew Polley, less than a week after being cut by WSOF for missing weight by 32 pounds, will be fighting Olympian Steve Mocco on the RFA card this Friday at heavyweight. This is fantastic.

"He told me he was cutting from 289 [at the beginning of camp]," Aziz said Saturday. "I don't know what his motive was to be 289 six weeks out. But he cost us a lot of money and his opponent was coming in from Holland and I think it's disrespectful to his opponent to go into it like that."

According to Abdel-Aziz, Polley was 20 pounds over on Thursday, then showed up to the weigh-ins Friday even heavier.

"His manager said let's do a catchweight 220," Abdel-Aziz said. "The other camp was willing to go to 215. But he weighed [Thursday] at 225. The weigh-in day he comes in at 234. He gained weight. I'm going to cut him. I'm the last guy who should cut somebody, but if you're going to be that disrespectful to your opponent, yeah, I'm going to cut you."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/1...y-cut-gerald-harris-on-point-deductions-brett

dream

7d0642cc02e011e3bf5322000a9f38c3_7.jpg

"He told me he was cutting from 289 [at the beginning of camp]," Aziz said Saturday. "I don't know what his motive was to be 289 six weeks out. But he cost us a lot of money and his opponent was coming in from Holland and I think it's disrespectful to his opponent to go into it like that."

According to Abdel-Aziz, Polley was 20 pounds over on Thursday, then showed up to the weigh-ins Friday even heavier.

"His manager said let's do a catchweight 220," Abdel-Aziz said. "The other camp was willing to go to 215. But he weighed [Thursday] at 225. The weigh-in day he comes in at 234. He gained weight. I'm going to cut him. I'm the last guy who should cut somebody, but if you're going to be that disrespectful to your opponent, yeah, I'm going to cut you."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/1...y-cut-gerald-harris-on-point-deductions-brett

Wow! 289?! I dont remember him being that big of a guy either. He must've been obese.

Vio-Lence

Banned
If we are going to come clean about trashy tv viewing habits, after watching and enjoying Bar Rescue per the strong recommendations of this thread, I also find Spike's Tattoo Rescue to be compelling television.

What's wrong with me?

If we are going to come clean about trashy tv viewing habits, after watching and enjoying Bar Rescue per the strong recommendations of this thread, I also find Spike's Tattoo Rescue to be compelling television.

What's wrong with me?

Tattoo Rescue is alright, the real shit is Ink Master. I'm not gonna lie, I watched the fuck out of Shahs of Sunset too.

Vio-Lence

Banned
My wife likes Shahs, so I've seen a lot of the show by default. I guess if I had to summarize that show into a single sentence it would be like "West coast version of the Jersey Shore with Iranians substituting for Italians." That one barbie doll chick with the big fake tits was one of the driest bitches I've ever seen on TV.

Eddie Alvarez resigns with Bellator. Chandler vs Alvarez 2 booked for Nov 2.

And I still watch TUF. Looking forward to this season because at least if its boring, it's got some Miesha. Mmm cupcake.

industrian

And this probably the end of any substance Bjorn Rebney's Bellator has and any influence he has on proceedings (even know we could read between the lines before that.) They're now, as Dana puts it, Viacom MMA.

Not wanting to sign "UFC castoffs" > Rampage vs. Tito headlining a PPV in 2013.
"Toughest tournament in sports" > four-man tournament to fast-track their high-earners to the title.
And now Eddie's back and they've done away with the entire "where title shots are earned" schtick altogether.

At this point unless ratings pick up and their PPVs do gangbusters, I give Bellator another two years before Viacom shut them down.

Muhahahaha!

Well... I included a link I guess. :/

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Eddie Alvarez resigns with Bellator. Chandler vs Alvarez 2 booked for Nov 2.

And I still watch TUF. Looking forward to this season because at least if its boring, it's got some Miesha. Mmm cupcake.

Eddie Alvarez has bit the pillow and rejoined Bellator.

He'll fight Chandler for the title as the co-main of Rampage vs. Tito.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/1...ith-bellator-will-rematch-michael-chandler-on

Edit: Beaten by a minute.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani
One more note: last week, a solid source told me the deal was if Alvarez lost, he can walk away. If he won, he has to do the trilogy. ...

Eddie gon get dat PPV money and tank the fight.

industrian

One more note: last week, a solid source told me the deal was if Alvarez lost, he can walk away. If he won, he has to do the trilogy. ...

So in short, Eddie's been called in to put Chandler over.

Win win for Viacom I guess. They get to end this bad press and they also get to further damage Eddie's future potential earnings with the UFC when he enters negotiations with a loss.

Heel

Bellator Tournament Champion Replacement Clause

Matchmaking’s like casting a movie. You pick who you think will sell tickets and you put them in the starring role. Since I created Bellator in 2008, I’ve focused on strengthening our position as MMA’s real sports competition. And, it’s crucial for us to stay true to our brand history and philosophy.

At the same time, it’s critical to have a system in place that ensures our Champions defend their titles as frequently as possible. If we just picked who fights who, this would be a simple process. If a title challenger gets injured we could just give the fight to whoever else we thought would sell Pay-Per-View’s or generate ratings. But, because we’re a real sports format, we don’t do that.

There’s nothing wrong with adapting and changing when it stays true to who you are and betters the company for fighters and fans. In that vein, we’re constantly moving forward and adapting to put on the best MMA events on earth. We started with 8-man tournaments. Then we added 4-man tournaments and our World Title rematch clause. Each new addition was created to maintain our true sports format while ensuring our Champions defend their belts as frequently as possible.

Now, we’re making another addition to deal with a “worst case scenario situation”. The highly unusual situation where injuries prevent a tournament champion from challenging for the world title and where there isn’t a 2nd tournament champion prepared to step in and take his shot at the title or a World Champion rematch fight isn’t in order. I don’t expect this situation to occur very often, but when it does….in those unexpected (“worst case scenario”) circumstances, we owe it to our Champions to have a fair format in place to ensure that our Champion doesn’t have to wait for his world title defense when that occurs.

So if lightning strikes, we’ve created an objective points system with a vote structure to solve the problem of who fights for the title when no opponent exists:

Step #1: Bellator will refer to the most recent completed tournament (in the instance of a 4-man tournament being the most recent tournament, we would expand this to be the most recent two tournaments), and tabulate tournament points based on the following criteria with fighters that are still under contract with Bellator:

- For every decision victory, fighter will record one (1) point

- For every KO/TKO/submission win in the third round, fighter will record two (2) points

- For every KO/TKO/submission win in the second round, fighter will record three (3) points

- For every KO/TKO/submission in the first round, fighter will record four (4) points

- From the above list, the top three (3) point earners in the applicable weight class in which a replacement title challenger must be determined will be chosen. Bellator MMA executives may also include a fourth (4th) fighter on the ballot as well. This list of four will comprise the list of available fighters for the title shot.

Once the list has been established, three (3) different groups, each holding 33% voting power, will vote on who rightfully deserves a shot at the Bellator World Title:

1) Current Bellator MMA World Champions (including the Champion in the division under consideration)

2) Current Bellator MMA Tournament winners

3) Bellator Executives including CEO Bjorn Rebney, President Tim Danaher & the top two executives on Bellator’s Talent Development Team including Sam Caplan and Zach Light.

After the voting results are in, a final challenger will be determined and revealed. The chosen fighter will replace the injured tournament winner and receive a world title shot.

By employing this new format adjustment to our existing tournament structure, Bellator will be able to determine new title challengers in the event of a catastrophic injury situation while still remaining true to its core belief that politics should not play a role in determining who fights for a world title. This formula will also allow Bellator to gain input from some of the most credible pundits around – the fighters themselves.

This is the most Bellator thing I've ever seen put to words. Can you be more lifeless? Lay down Eddie, I'm beggin' ya.

industrian

"Bellator MMA's motto has always been 'Where title shots are earned, not given.'

No matter how much you clamour for one publicly or build up hype around yourself, you still have to successfully make it through a tournament to earn your chance at the division champion, just like the champion had to do originally."

-Bjorn Rebney.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So in short, Eddie's been called in to put Chandler over.

Win win for Viacom I guess. They get to end this bad press and they also get to further damage Eddie's future potential earnings with the UFC when he enters negotiations with a loss.

Yeah and if Eddie ends up making waves in the Ultimate, that's another marketing feather in Bellator/Viacom's hat. They'd probably love it if Eddie won the UFC title.

dream

Bellator Tournament Champion Replacement Clause

This is the most Bellator thing I've ever seen put to words. Can you be more lifeless? Lay down Eddie, I'm beggin' ya.

Sounds a lot like

Points will be earned on a variety of shows (IMPACT, PPV, House Shows) in a variety of match types). The four competitors with the most points will wrestle at No Surrender. The one who wins will earn a World Title shot at Bound For Glory.

HOW POINTS WILL BE EARNED
Submission Victory- 10 Points
Pinfall Victory- 7 Points
Countout Victory- 5 Points
DQ Victory- 3 Points
Draw- 2 Points
DQ- -10 Points

dat synergy!

Vio-Lence

Banned
The future of sports entertainment.

dream so I'm having a problem with Civ 5, I've got my strategy down with Poland on Emperor Difficulty to win Diplomatically or with Science without a great deal of problem. i'm sure i can refine my techniques so i can finish the games several turns earlier, but that will come with time. i recently started a game with Genghis Khan on a Pangea map on Emperor with hopes of trying my hand at a domination victory, but I realized I suck at waging war in early game. bah.

ShaneB

Bar Rescue and Ink Master are two shows I make sure to check out each new episode. Which is odd considering I never considered myself much a bar person, and definitely not a tattoo person.
KuGsj.gif

Eddie "Herman/Sapp/Stann" Alvarez

If we just picked who fights who, this would be a simple process. If a title challenger gets injured we could just give the fight to whoever else we thought would sell Pay-Per-View’s or generate ratings. But, because we’re a real sports format, we don’t do that.

Oh shit! Dat UFC slam!

dream

The future of sports entertainment.

dream so I'm having a problem with Civ 5, I've got my strategy down with Poland on Emperor Difficulty to win Diplomatically or with Science without a great deal of problem. i'm sure i can refine my techniques so i can finish the games several turns earlier, but that will come with time. i recently started a game with Genghis Khan on a Pangea map on Emperor with hopes of trying my hand at a domination victory, but I realized I suck at waging war in early game. bah.

I think the thing with the Mongols is you gotta hook up horses ASAP. While you're doing that, bully city states so that you can pop great generals.

industrian

I rarely even think about building lots of soldiers until I've got composite bowmen at least. I suck at waging war until I've got cities big enough where I can just use their production to increase gold.

VoxPop

I wonder if Alvarez were to get dominated by Chandler, the UFC should even bother scooping him up. Alvarez could beat up a good chunk of the lightweights in the UFC including Bendo and that would just look bad on their part. I'm glad Bellator is finally picking up some steam though. UFC needs some great competition to get out of their rut. Hopefully Bellator picks up a few other castaways to bolster their shitty roster.

edit: apparently victor vs machida is in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom