• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vio-Lence

Banned
It's easier to pick apart the resumes of JBJ or GSP than Spider Silver amigos.

With the benefit of perfect 20/20 hindsight vision, we can discredit all of GSPs wins after he tapped out to strikes and don't get me started on JBJ.

Steve Bonnar, Jake O'brien, Brandon Vera, Shogun Rua, Janitor Vladdy, Darth Bader, 2011 QRJ, Ryuto Machida, and Old Vitor? Only decent guy he beat in his UFC run was a decision over Suga Hashad.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Goddamn sleeping pill putting has been putting us asleep since 2007 with the following turds:

Kos - 5 round decision against a guy fighting with one eye for 24 minutes. Can't throw a 2 or 3 piece to save his life.
2007 Matt Hughes - TKO finish of a declining fighter who went on to drop a ton of fights subsequently.
Terra Serra - nuff said about this turd.
Fitch - lost 3 fights since the GSP fight, including getting killed by Hendricks in 10 seconds.
LW Penn - I don't want to bring up grease gate, but slippery georges had to cheat to beat a guy he outweighed by 30+ pounds on fight night.
Thiago Alves - lost 3 out of 5 fights since GSP.
Shields - violently KOd in his next fight following a fight with GSP that was equivalent to popping an ambien.
Dan Hardy - lost 3 fights in a row after his loss to GSP, once by dec, once by sub, and once by KO.

and then the steroid suspension combined with ducking Diaz for over a year and then ducking number one contender Hendricks smh.

TheChits

Goddamn sleeping pill putting has been putting us asleep since 2007 with the following turds:

Kos - 5 round decision against a guy fighting with one eye for 24 minutes. Can't throw a 2 or 3 piece to save his life.
2007 Matt Hughes - TKO finish of a declining fighter who went on to drop a ton of fights subsequently.
Terra Serra - nuff said about this turd.
Fitch - lost 3 fights since the GSP fight, including getting killed by Hendricks in 10 seconds.
LW Penn - I don't want to bring up grease gate, but slippery georges had to cheat to beat a guy he outweighed by 30+ pounds on fight night.
Thiago Alves - lost 3 out of 5 fights since GSP.
Shields - violently KOd in his next fight following a fight with GSP that was equivalent to popping an ambien.
Dan Hardy - lost 3 fights in a row after his loss to GSP, once by dec, once by sub, and once by KO.

and then the steroid suspension combined with ducking Diaz for over a year and then ducking number one contender Hendricks smh.

All this tells me is that GSP beat the fighting spirit right out of them. When did he get popped for roids?

So is the conversation about choosing easy fights are is it about quality of opponents? Because Hendo is talking about choosing fights and of the 3 champs being brought up Jones has "chosen" the least, with the front load of his career literally being taking on whoever was put in front of him. The only "duck" you could say was Sonnen on short notice.

Vio-Lence

Banned
So is the conversation about choosing easy fights are is it about quality of opponents? Because Hendo is talking about choosing fights and of the 3 champs being brought up Jones has "chosen" the least, with the front load of his career literally being taking on whoever was put in front of him. The only "duck" you could say was Sonnen on short notice.

why would JBJ duck easy fights? his resume doesn't really resemble a murderer's row amigo. he's fought ham-n-eggers or guys who were past their prime. his current win streak strongly resembles Balboa's streak between Rocky 2 and 3. Wait til he meets his clubber lang. Out getting popped for DUIs with a host of white women in tow indicates to me he's living in the circus phase.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Who in MW has been a phenom though? Realistically? That division is packed with talented hard workers.. not naturally talented guys. I mean.. you could maybe make an argument for Vitor but that dude was weathered to hell and had serious ring rust at the time.

No one has been a phenom because Anderson shuts them down. It's the same stupid point as "Jon Jones beat X former champions" while "Anderson has only beat X many," therefore Jones has a better record. Well Anderson hasn't fought any former champs because he's been the champ for 6+ years.

VoxPop

Hendo opted to fight 2 Pride cans (Fedor/Shogun) and only wanted Jones for the payday most likely. His biggest win in the past 3 years is Feijao and he got clowned by Shields which was another easy payday.

Heel

They're all cans in the rear-view, friends. Haven't we established that? When it's all said and done that aspect is uncontrollable to a fighter if you're fighting anyone they put in front of you.

The criteria for greatness can't purely be wins and losses, especially when we're forced to become apologists and say "Well, who could he have fought?" in a lame duck division. It's about what you bring to the ring.

Sure, Anderson Silver has shown flashes of greatness. He's also shown himself to be a moist as dude full of excuses and has put on some boo-worthy fights in the octagon. That affects my view of him, especially when it comes down to crowning him the GOAT. Is that fair? I think so.

why would JBJ duck easy fights? his resume doesn't really resemble a murderer's row amigo. he's fought ham-n-eggers or guys who were past their prime. his current win streak strongly resembles Balboa's streak between Rocky 2 and 3. Wait til he meets his clubber lang. Out getting popped for DUIs with a host of white women in tow indicates to me he's living in the circus phase.

Is it his fault the rest of the division can't get their shit together and lose to each other in an orderly fashion?

Either way the fact remains that Silva and GSP don't want a dangerous challenger. Jones is in that prime stage of cockiness that he'll take on any dangerous opponent.. provided he gets a full camp to do it.

No one has been a phenom because Anderson shuts them down. It's the same stupid point as "Jon Jones beat X former champions" while "Anderson has only beat X many," therefore Jones has a better record. Well Anderson hasn't fought any former champs because he's been the champ for 6+ years.

It's not the same point. Machida is definitely a phenom in respect to what he's accomplished and how decisively he's beat previous opponents. MW doesn't have any phenoms because GSP would rather cut to 155 and Silva and Machida refuse to fight seriously in each others weight class. Most other weight classes don't actually have any phenoms. Just a bunch of Joe Workers where the winner is either a freak occurrence or whoever worked harder that camp.

VoxPop

They're all cans in the rear-view, friends. Haven't we established that? When it's all said and done that aspect is uncontrollable to a fighter if you're fighting anyone they put in front of you.

The criteria for greatness can't purely be wins and losses, especially when we're forced to become apologists and say "Well, who could he have fought?" in a lame duck division. It's about what you bring to the ring.

Sure, Anderson Silver has shown flashes of greatness. He's also shown himself to be a moist as dude full of excuses and has put on some boo-worthy fights in the octagon. That affects my view of him, especially when it comes down to crowning him the GOAT. Is that fair? I think so.

So your opinion on him would change if he went and dominated in entertaining fashion someone to the equivalent of Herring, Egidijus Valavicius, Fujita, Goodridge, Nagata, Coleman, Randleman, Ogawa, TK, Zulu, Hunt, Lindland, Hong Man Choi, Big Timmay, Brett Rogers, Monson, Ishii, or Hizzo?

Vio-Lence

Banned
Heel don't ignore that Spider Silver has like an 80%+ finishing rate inside the octagon. And while I did breakdown JBJ list of opponents, he did molly-whop everyone Joe Silver put in front of him, so he should be commended for finishing. Slippery Georges on the other hand is all about collecting easy paychecks while collecting endorsement money.

Tired ass debate is tired. I'd rather discuss iOS gaming.

It's better than talking about shitty metal gear games brah, and trolling the new posters is like trial by fire + prospect grace period.

alr1ght

I'd wager to say he is in the top 5% in finishing percentage in UFC history. Two bad fights and a couple of can crushings don't diminish what he's done in 6+ years of title fights.

Friends, something I forgot to ask earlier - did the fighters this past weekend get an email blast telling them they can spice up their entrances? Dance routines, masks, hats? I thought Dana didn't allow that?

EDIT: Also, yes or not - will they show the leaderboard before the fights where the rankings are so mismatched that the fight doesn't make sense a la Belfort/Jones. It worked this weekend because Barao/McDonald were back to back.

alr1ght

Friends, something I forgot to ask earlier - did the fighters this past weekend get an email blast telling them they can spice up their entrances? Dance routines, masks, hats? I thought Dana didn't allow that?

He knows nobody watches Fuel, so they used it as a test.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I'd wager to say he is in the top 5% in finishing percentage in UFC history. Two bad fights and a couple of can crushings don't diminish what he's done in 6+ years of title fights.

that would be an interesting statistic friend. i suspect Anderson and Jones are near the top of that list. i bet for fights that Frank Mir won, his finish percentage is probably absurdly high as well.

any other contenders?

alr1ght

Carlos Conduit, actually. His Diaz fight was one of his only decisions.

28 wins, 2 decisions

10 UFC/WEC wins, 2 decisions

Heel

So your opinion on him would change if he went and dominated in entertaining fashion someone to the equivalent of Herring, Egidijus Valavicius, Fujita, Goodridge, Nagata, Coleman, Randleman, Ogawa, TK, Zulu, Hunt, Lindland, Hong Man Choi, Big Timmay, or Brett Rogers?

Absolutely. When it comes down to brass tacks we're here to be entertained, aren't we?

Show me a time where Fedor was actively booed. I'll show you Anderson failing to put on a show when handed a guy like Thales Leites.

Personally I would rank Igor Vovchanchyn over Spider Silver on the GOAT list.

VoxPop

that would be an interesting statistic friend. i suspect Anderson and Jones are near the top of that list. i bet for fights that Frank Mir won, his finish percentage is probably absurdly high as well.

any other contenders?

Condit, Reem, Carwin, Cerrone, and I believe Manhoef?

EDIT: Also, yes or not - will they show the leaderboard before the fights where the rankings are so mismatched that the fight doesn't make sense a la Belfort/Jones. It worked this weekend because Barao/McDonald were back to back.

They won't show it. Instead they'll make Goldie and Rogan shill up the fact that "nobody else wanted this fight" and "he's the only guy that stepped up!" like they're doing with Carmouche.

VoxPop

Absolutely. When it comes down to brass tacks we're here to be entertained, aren't we?

Show me a time where Fedor was actively booed. I'll show you Anderson failing to put on a show when handed a guy like Thales Leites.

Personally I would rank Igor Vovchanchyn over Spider Silver on the GOAT list.

I found Anderson's picking apart of Thales and Maia far more entertaining than Fedor's snoozefests over CroCop, Coleman and Monson.

Lol @ Igor.

Hendo opted to fight 2 Pride cans (Fedor/Shogun) and only wanted Jones for the payday most likely. His biggest win in the past 3 years is Feijao and he got clowned by Shields which was another easy payday.

It wasn't ONLY for the payday. You know he was looking at Serra v. GSP 1 thinking "well if it revived his career in one punch...."

VoxPop

Blasphemer, Fedor vs Crocop was the most hyped mma fight at the time and maybe ever, and it turned out to be pretty good as well.

Yeah most hyped for sure but it was pretty much Fedor being outstruck in the 1st round and opting to lay and pray for the next 2 1/2 brutal rounds. CroCop even attempted a triangle cause he was falling asleep ffs. Fedor should've lost under Pride rules or even have gotten some yellow cards.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I found Anderson's picking apart of Thales and Maia far more entertaining than Fedor's snoozefests over CroCop, Coleman and Monson.

i7vADDSNXLunn.gif

Heel

I mean, let's just be honest for a moment. Don't you wish Anderson would quit making excuses and just fought anyone Joe Silver put in front of him? Just shut up and slung some fuckin' bungalows?

Some of the negative stigma surrounding Anderson is Ed Soares' horrible public matchmaking and managerial skills. Some of it is coming straight from Anderson's mouth, though.

I can't hespect that.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I want to make a bet with Heel on Weidman Silver. When Silver beats Weidman, Heel will have to revert to his original slave name sien916.

Yes/No?

VoxPop

I mean, let's just be honest for a moment. Don't you wish Anderson would quit making excuses and just fought anyone Joe Silver put in front of him? Just shut up and slung some fuckin' bungalows?

Some of the negative stigma surrounding Anderson is Ed Soares' horrible public matchmaking and managerial skills. Some of it is coming straight from Anderson's mouth, though.

I can't hespect that.

Please don't talk about fighter ducking when you idolize the king of them in Fedor.

I can't hespect that.

Friend are you saying you're not excited by Soares hand picking of Silva's next opponent, top 10er and knock out artist, Cung Le.

Heel

I want to make a bet with Heel on Weidman Silver. When Silver beats Weidman, Heel will have to revert to his original slave name sien916.

Yes/No?

No, the win will be rewarding enough. A champion who will fight whoever Joe Silver puts in front of him. Even on 10 days notice.

Please don't talk about fighter ducking when you idolize the king of them in Fedor.

So instead of being honest, you point fingers elsewhere? The great Fedor has also been the victim of horrible management for sure.

Vio-Lence

Banned
No, the win will be rewarding enough. A champion who will fight whoever Joe Silver puts in front of him. Even on 10 days notice.

Proving to be just as cowardly as GSP. Heel = lot of talk and a badge. Lion when he's out posting Denzel gifs, pussy cat when getting hit with truth bombs.

VoxPop

how can you criticize Fedor for ducking legit fights and hype up Reem at the same time? this is a serious question. i'll wait for your response.

I've never hyped up Reem.

Heel said:
So instead of being honest, you point fingers elsewhere? The great Fedor has also been the victim of horrible management for sure.

Honest about what? I already said the only person Silva is ducking is probably Jones. He doesn't give two shits about Chris "I have worse standup than Maia but I'm a top 3 MW" Weidman.

FACE said:
Are you seriously discussing with a dude that got banned because of smartphones?

You sit your baby nuts down and go argue about video games.

Heel

Proving to be just as cowardly as GSP. Heel = lot of talk and a badge. Lion when he's out posting Denzel gifs, pussy cat when getting hit with truth bombs.

lol fuck off brah, I'm not making a lopsided bet with a dude who has employable user names to fall back on.

Honest about what? I already said the only person Silva is ducking is probably Jones. He doesn't give two shits about Chris "I have worse standup than Maia but I'm a top 3 MW" Weidman.

Just read the original question. Yes or not?

FACE

Banned
You sit your baby nuts down and go argue about video games.

NeoGAF is primarily a video games forum, so you weren't just banned because of you became irritated during a discussion smartphones. You were banned in a discussion about smartphones on a video games forum.

Sit on that for a few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom