• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

He was never convicted of anything. I have a hard time believing shit like that regarding athletes. People do crazy shit when they think they can make a buck.

Yet you believe all sorts of shit about Bones, which should be exhibit A that guys might not be the "nice guys" they let on.

BadAss2961

Glover is slow and a brawler with good power. Anthony has power that no one else at LHW has. Jimi has better power than Glover and Gus walked through his punches. Anthony landed a leg kick and Gus was legit shook. Then he landed a jab that almost put him out. This after the eye poke and a cheap shot leg kick. Anthony scared him so much that Gus threw a cheap shot.

Johnson blew his load in the Koscheck fight like he did in most 170 fights. He was handling Koscheck until he gassed out. Now with a good team that is getting him to train he is just killing people.

Johnson is a better striker than Jones and if Jones doesn't get the take down Johnson is going to KO him. Johnson has better footwork than Jones and one shot power that kills.
Rumble has a 2 round window to KTFO Jones. After that, it's over.

Problem is, I don't see anyone just running through Jones like that. He just always seems physically stronger than everyone he fights, even dudes known for their power. Gus was good a matchup because he could hang with Jones for 5 rounds.

scabro

It happened. You can never erase it. Josh Koschek.

Gus is a brawler. He set out to brawl tonight. Jones is a smart fighter I think he will do what he always does: Gameplan to pick apart Rumble in frustrating fashion.

jones lost to matt hamill

it happened

you can never erase it

Rumble has a 2 round window to KTFO Jones. After that, it's over.

Problem is, I don't see anyone just running through Jones like that. Gus was good a matchup because he could hang with Jones for 5 rounds.

Yup. I can see Jones on a bicycle for two rounds. And the Blackzilians aren't exactly known for producing fighters with crazy endurance.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Doesn't that overlap with the Machida Era?

is that still going?

no. no it doesnt. still like a machida fight though.

still, i dont think there is anything more i'd love to see then rumble knock the fucking piss out of jones.

scabro

Funny but I heard he walks around at 240.

BPRGvvhCIAEvKft.jpg

240 pounds of pure muscle

Sean

Banned
Sucks to be Gus right now. Dude waited all of 2014 for a title shot, gets injured weeks away from the rematch, then his father dies, and now he just got mauled by Rumble in front of all his Swedish fans and left crying on national TV. Rough year.

Pumped for Rumble vs Jones now.

Chesskid1

Banned
Sucks to be Gus right now. Dude waited all of 2014 for a title shot, gets injured weeks away from the rematch, then his father dies, and now he just got mauled by Rumble in front of all his Swedish fans and left crying on national TV. Rough year.

hopefully he was paid well?

IKizzLE

I suspect that Rumble is the black Glover Teixeira. He makes good fighters look ordinary but will get caught in the headlights once Jones styles on him.

I hope to hell that Rumble proves me wrong though. He's a fucking beast and comes across as a decent guy.

Nah. Phil Davis fought both Glover and Rumble in the same time frame.
Phil picked a part Glover and Rumble decimated Phil.

Rumble is a tier above Glover.

scabro

i dont even understand the glover comparison

his ufc career highlight is literally beating ryan bader

thats the highest point.

IKizzLE

Rumble just said in the post fight presser that he heard Gus's corner tell him to go for the front kick and thats why he countered it perfectly lol. That self awareness...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Rumble just said in the post fight presser that he heard Gus's corner tell him to go for the front kick and thats why he countered it perfectly lol. That self awareness...

If only Anderson were a native English speaker, he'd have known Weidman was going to punch a fucking hole in his chest.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Why did Gus throw that kick though? Rumble was almost catching them and he caught that one right after eye poke and tagged him nicely.

Plus, unlike Jones, Alex height doesn't give him any significant reach over Rumble. Damn. Wanted a rematch with him and Jones. At least Rumble has a punchers chance against Jones now.
Rumble said he heard Gus' corner call for the kick so he was able to counter it. I thought that Jackson/Winkeljohn yelling "axe him a question!" was one of the stupidest things I'd ever heard but seeing as this potentially eclipses Alves/Kampmann as the worst consequence of corner advice maybe all those silly code words aren't a terrible idea. You're right though it was Gus' mistake to throw the kick when/how (lack of position/defence/set-up) he did.

As an aside, I wouldn't put much stock in UFC stats (or rankings). Gus' reach is over 80 inches, not quite as long as Jones' but longer than shown.

Jones will lose to Rumble due to overconfidence. Jones lately has been beating fighters at their own game but I doubt he can be more "blacksplosive" than Rumble.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I expect Jones to put in leg and body work on Rumble in the first couple rounds (similar to what he did to Cormier), that will kill Rumble's cardio later in the match. I don't doubt he will eat some punches in the process, but I think he will be able to weather the storm and put the fight away in the championship rounds.

IKizzLE

I expect Jones to put in leg and body work on Rumble in the first couple rounds (similar to what he did to Cormier), that will kill Rumble's cardio later in the match. I don't doubt he will eat some punches in the process, but I think he will be able to weather the storm and put the fight away in the championship rounds.

Jon eats a lot of punches from people in all his fights. Not sure he wants to eat a ton of Rumble's punches.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Jon eats a lot of punches from people in all his fights. Not sure he wants to eat a ton of Rumble's punches.
He ate heaps against Gustafsson and a fair few against Cormier. Glover and Rashad landed a handful of good strikes too, but other than that he doesn't get hit a lot. That's why such a fuss was made over Machida closing the distance on him, because before that no-one had been able to hit him with much at all. He may want to be extra wary of Rumble though. Regardless of any pre-emptive kick countering or potential headbutts Rumble is the first to finish Gus with strikes and you could see that Gus was still moving his head pretty well on the feet after getting rocked. Compare that with when Jones landed his fight winning elbow on Gus in the 4th; he spent the remaining minute of the round throwing everything at him and Gus was able to shake him off, stuff a takedown or two and make it not only to the bell, but to a decision.

Well this was surprising, especially considering it ended in Round 1. Alex getting caught like that must be pretty hard. I am really now sold on the JBJ v Rumble fight though.

Was on Rumbles train ever since his WW debut when he crushed 3 or 4 cans in a row Tyson style....left a very memorable image inside the cage. Saddened when he couldnt get past Kos but Kos was very hard to beat at the time.

And I knew he would beat every single one of them at Titan FC and WSOF.

Deciding factor here is stamina. He needs to finish Jones inside 4 to 5 really good flurries and/or power shots but then again...he showed patience in some fights in the past but I dont think he will try to outpoint Bones. Hes gonna be truly ready for his one and only championship fight,

Next

bah, was hoping to see Jones vs Gus 2. Kinda late stoppage, the ref told him several times to move and he kept face planting, could have been stopped earlier. I like rumble's ground and pound. A lot of guys try to land a ton of weak shots that don't do anything just to look impressive for the ref, rumble picked his shots but when they landed they did damage. That's a good win for rumble let's hope he gives us a good title fight.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Was on Rumbles train ever since his WW debut when he crushed 3 or 4 cans in a row Tyson style....left a very memorable image inside the cage. Saddened when he couldnt get past Kos but Kos was very hard to beat at the time.

And I knew he would beat every single one of them at Titan FC and WSOF.

Deciding factor here is stamina. He needs to finish Jones inside 4 to 5 really good flurries and/or power shots but then again...he showed patience in some fights in the past but I dont think he will try to outpoint Bones. Hes gonna be truly ready for his one and only championship fight,

When he decided to go to Middleweight I thought he would be the one to beat Anderson. He had the skills, the size, and the power to do so. But then he made a mockery of himself by fucking up his weight cut.

It's amazing to think about Rumble's turnaround. He was considered a joke up until he was re-signed by the UFC. Now he's the undisputed number 1 contender.

Rumble had an amazing performance last night but there are still a lot of questions. Does he have the endurance for a five round fight? Is he going to solve the reach advantage JBJ has (Cormier couldn't).

People can't say he's crushing cans now. He had the decisive victory over Davis and TKO'd Nogiera and Gustafson. Besides fighting Texeria and Cormier, hat else does he have to do?

Top Bottom