• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

iddqd

GSP is going to win by submission. The story is he's been spending a lot of time with the Danaher Death Squad which is currently leading the competitive jiu jitsu scene.

If you mean "leading" by winning matches under a certain rule set (sub only, no time limit or points), then yes. They have not dominated anything that had a ruleset that favored "classic" BJJ/MMA positions.
Their heavy focus on leg locks is very far from ideal for MMA though.
If you are not a roided brick house like Paul Harris, getting a leg lock is tough and leaves you open to a lot of face smashing.
Just think how good Rory looked in his attempts to get Thompsons legs:
http://imgur.com/OwDoG8D

ALSO
He and Firas have ALWAYS trained with Danaher and GSP could not even finish the arm bar on Hardy.

Banglish

Nope.

Either way, remove Hendricks from the equation if you think he was the only possible user out there.
For the other reasons that I stated above, and the fact that GSP, like Bisping, is not an elite power striker, I just don't think he out boxes Bisping.

I'm not out here saying the dude has no chance at a victory. I just don't think that in his first fight back, that he takes a W from Bisping - particularly 'because he has Roach cornering him'.
I think it has to be a striking match though, because I don't see his wresting game winning that fight for him.

Freddie Roach aside, I do know that GSP will use tactics against Bisping that he hasn't had to face before. You can make the case Bisping is the better boxer. But what about the kicking range or clinch. Those are two key positions GSP used to his advantage in order to keep his opponent from making reads.

Heel

From the latest Fight Pass survey:

C53mQa-WcAIooox.jpg

simpsons-crowd-shock-homer-smile.gif

If you mean "leading" by winning matches under a certain rule set (sub only, no time limit or points), then yes. They have not dominated anything that had a ruleset that favored "classic" BJJ/MMA positions.
Their heavy focus on leg locks is very far from ideal for MMA though.
If you are not a roided brick house like Paul Harris, getting a leg lock is tough and leaves you open to a lot of face smashing.
Just think how good Rory looked in his attempts to get Thompsons legs:
http://imgur.com/OwDoG8D

ALSO
He and Firas have ALWAYS trained with Danaher and GSP could not even finish the arm bar on Hardy.

Yeah as far as I was aware Danaher is all about leg locks now. And as effective as they are in BJJ, I can't think of the last time i saw anyone submitted by a kneebar or heel hook in MMA

iddqd

Leg locks don't work in MMA

ryan-hall-1.png

You clearly have no clue if you are showing Ryan Hall while trying to promote the Danaher way of competing/ doing BJJ.

Hall is no fan of those guys and has said numerous times that the accolades from Sub Only do not translate to MMA and only promote the wrong kind of grappling.
(- not positional - no wrestling etc)

One interview I could find that shows this a bit:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/...hall-on-the-modernization-of-grappling-in-mma

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
When people retroactively call all the top contenders nobodies, implying that you won because of a lack of talent, you've made it. Congrats, goat.

Haunted

Bisping dodging legit contenders in his own weight class for three title defences in a row must be some kind of record.

Bisping does the right thing for himself and not the MW division.

Bisping/GSP for the title is such a crazy matchup. It shows how big the pressure is for the company to deliver the right numbers. Now that one of their biggest stars is forever gone they are forced to fill the void as quickly as possible.

WTF, ESPN First Take is gonna have boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard on to discuss Mayweather vs McGregor. Main stream media won't let this go until it happens. When McGregor eventually returns to the octagon, he not only will be MMA's biggest star but will be the biggest star in all combat sports. McGregor was estimated to have made 10-15 million on his last fight and will likely double that for his next fight.

Eanan

Ngannou vs Skyscraper being targeted for UFC stockholm.

Thats an interesting fight for sure and pretty much the only option for Ngannou right now that I can see, but can only see it going one way. A big ol KO win for Francis.

Weckum

Ngannou vs Skyscraper being targeted for UFC stockholm.

Thats an interesting fight for sure and pretty much the only option for Ngannou right now that I can see, but can only see it going one way. A big ol KO win for Francis.

Apparently it's not signed yet, Struve is still recovering from surgery. As per Helwani.

Loser leave town, ladder matches, screw jobs, show up on Bellator Nitro with a UFC belt. I'd watch.

Reminds me, I'm still upset Paige never shaved her head.

Levito

Banned
I am a man of simple needs when it comes to carny shit. I just want to see juiced up Bigfoot Silva fight two Flyweights at the same time.

I think this is a modest request.

Reminds me, I'm still upset Paige never shaved her head.

UFC literally told her she wasn't allowed to. lol

nOoblet16

Guys from UK, I wanna watch UFC 209 and I do have Sky TV. However I don't have the sports package and as such I don't get BT Sports, which is the only way to watch this in UK I think I can use a VPN and watch it via UFC tv but internet streaming means it might not be as reliable as Sky box. Plus my internet has been rather slow lately for streaming high quality videos.

Is there any way I can pay for the event since it's PPV and get access to BT Sports on my Sky box?

SteveWD40

Yep. This is literally about the payday. Bisping will fight whomever after this fight. Sucks that UFC is run like this.

Bisping gets shit for taking the fights the UFC offer him, he doesn't hand pick the opponents. Even Hendo was being set up by Dana long before Dan and Mike started hyping it.

Rellik

I am a man of simple needs when it comes to carny shit. I just want to see juiced up Bigfoot Silva fight two Flyweights at the same time.

I think this is a modest request.

Sounds like RIZIN and KSW is more down your alley then. KSW already has rapper vs. Pro bodybuilder on their upcoming stadium event. May as well bring in Pezao and have him fight 2 Flyweight as well lol.

I can't resist a good freakshow. It's the old PRIDE fan in me.

brentech

Supposedly checked into hospital last night and nothing to do with weight?

Probably got the bug that's going around. My wife got struck with it yesterday. It's swift and kicks your ass, but lasts only a short time.

Marc Raimondi‏Verified account @marc_raimondi

.@arielhelwani reporting, per a source, that Khabib Nurmagomedov is still at the hospital. Ariel is live here

I know what happens if you don't make weight, but not showing up to the weigh ins at all?

Top Bottom