• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Oh god, next week Jones is just gonna demolish Machida isn't he?

I would love for machida to get a flash in the pan KO so we can have two of the most important divisions in mma have the new 'future rulers' of the sport both lose within a few months of each other.

yacobod

Banned
who said we're not getting Sonnen/Silva 2? isn't silva out with injury, so a title eliminator with Sonnen and Munoz in january is fine. sonnen/silva will do gangbusters this coming summer. nobody else at 185 deserves a shot anyways. after dominating silva for 20+ minutes, and wins over stann and munoz, people shouldn't really complain anyways.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I "rooted" for Okami, but I don't believe I "picked" him. Of course, now that search has been de-nerfed, I am vulnerable to being made to look stupid for such claims. (Fucker has always been a cautious/slow starter, which benefits you nothing against Silva, obviously)

Yeah, if I knew Okami's gameplan was to stand there and pretend to be a heavy bag, I would have picked Andy.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
who said we're not getting Sonnen/Silva 2? isn't silva out with injury, so a title eliminator with Sonnen and Munoz in january is fine. sonnen/silva will do gangbusters this coming summer. nobody else at 185 deserves a shot anyways. after dominating silva for 20+ minutes, and wins over stann and munoz, people shouldn't really complain anyways.

I wanna see vitor vs sonnen. I think vitor could catch him and fuck his shit all up.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Yeah, if I knew Okami's gameplan was to stand there and pretend to be a heavy bag, I would have picked Andy.

It wasn't Okami's game plan, it was Silva's game plan. That's what people always seem to miss.

I wanna see vitor vs sonnen. I think vitor could catch him and fuck his shit all up.

Vitor could catch and beat Silva. For sure.

But Vitor can't beat his own mind, especially after tasting foot.

Boogie

It wasn't Okami's game plan, it was Silva's game plan. That's what people always seem to miss.

Okami's gameplan was Sonnen's gameplan.

Except that, once he got Silva against the fence and couldn't get him down, Okami realized that Sonnen's gameplan required him being Chael Sonnen, who he wasn't, and Okami promptly shit his pants.

See also: Kenny Florian modelling his gameplan against BJ Penn after GSP/Penn 2.

Heel

Here's how the Middlweight landscape is being shaped right now:

Sonnen vs. Munoz
Belfort vs. Johnson
Okami vs. Boetsch

Unscheduled:
Bisping
Maia
Stann
Belcher
Kennedy

How long can Bisping keep going without fighting a top tenner? I'd like to see him fight someone like Anthony Johnson, and even he isn't ranked at 185.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Why doesn't Badr Hari go to the UFC?
"I came here to see great fights, but the only thing I saw is a little bit of hugging and kissing! If you want real fights and real knockouts, you are at the wrong address. I will tell you the right address: K-1! All this hugging and shit is nothing, I challenge all the fighters here, come and fight me in the K-1 ring! Everybody who fights me gets knocked out!" -Badr Hari at DREAM 6

WrikaWrek

Banned
"I came here to see great fights, but the only thing I saw is a little bit of hugging and kissing! If you want real fights and real knockouts, you are at the wrong address. I will tell you the right address: K-1! All this hugging and shit is nothing, I challenge all the fighters here, come and fight me in the K-1 ring! Everybody who fights me gets knocked out!" -Badr Hari at DREAM 6

So he's afraid of getting into a real fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Bisping needs to fight a legit top 5-6 guy if he wants a title shot. This dude has been skating by against fringe UFC fighters long enough.

Jason Miller is now his biggest win. Think about it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I would love for machida to get a flash in the pan KO so we can have two of the most important divisions in mma have the new 'future rulers' of the sport both lose within a few months of each other.

That and the majority of the UFC belts would be held by Brazillians. Dana White would have an aneurysm.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Unexpectedly awesome card other than Miller not showing up ready to fight. Or run two blocks for that matter.

Heel

Sounds like Bisping may also be fighting on the Fox card

Bisping vs Maia?

That fight makes the most sense considering Maia has a win over Sonnen. Bisping has been ranked top ten for a while...it's time for him to actually beat a top ten fighter to prove he belongs there.

Stann would probably be my second choice out of the fighters who aren't booked already. Would be a fun one stylistically, plus I think he needs two wins to get a title shot any way you slice it anyway.

Damn, some good fights tonight.........

At work we had TUF on and the boxing PPV...........more people were interested in the free UFC event over the boxing PPV we had to pay to show.............

Like why the fuck did Cotto and Margarito take 40 minutes to get to the ring........the whole PPV was like 4 hours long..........I think after 3 hours of fights you just want the fucking main event to start

This is why UFC >>>>>> boxing

Can't wait to be at UFC 140 in a week :D

SteveWD40

Maia is the one upper level guy I think Bisping might have a shot against, but then it's a 50/50 as Maia's stand-up has improved.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Watching Bully Beatdown :) you're still OK Miller.

Miller was a good coach on TUF, wouldn't mind seeing more of the borderline/gate keeper guys coaching and fighting on the finale.

tass0

Banned
Why doesn't Badr Hari go to the UFC?

He has no TDD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPTJi5O7KqY&feature=player_detailpage#t=312s

And he gets KO'd in K-1 by an MMA fighter after calling them out at DREAM:

overeem_hari_3_medium.gif

Jezbollah

Bisping lucked out last night. Started cutting at 230lbs, and looked terrible. It's a shame Mayhem wasnt himself either, as it would (and should) have been a completely different fight.

parasight

Just bought tickets for 140. And then my cousin bailed on me. Now I'm stuck with an extra ticket, since everyone I know is either swamped in exams or have prior plans. I'll probably just sell the pair since I don't wanna go alone. If anyone in Toronto is interested, hit me up. It's section 307, row 2. I'll sell it for the same price I bought on StubHub ($300 for both, $150 each).

Just bought tickets for 140. And then my cousin bailed on me. Now I'm stuck with an extra ticket, since everyone I know is either swamped in exams or have prior plans. I'll probably just sell the pair since I don't wanna go alone. If anyone in Toronto is interested, hit me up. It's section 307, row 2. I'll sell it for the same price I bought on StubHub ($300 for both, $150 each).

Good luck, its a buyer's market right now

I have 304, row 2 :p

Was it the weight cut? The not having a fight over a year? I refuse to believe bisping would beat mayhem again.
I think it was a combination of being weaker, having much less cardio, and having poorer boxing. I think given another shot, the same thing would happen cuz it's not like he had injuries or other fights to recover from. He's fought in the UFC before and in Japan where crowd numbers used to be crazy, so I don't really buy this Octogon jitters stuff. Ring rust is the only excuse but someone in the sport that long should know how to prepare properly.

How were the FB prelims? I spaced out yesterday and missed everything.

dem

Was it the weight cut? The not having a fight over a year? I refuse to believe bisping would beat mayhem again.

What in the world has Mayhem ever done to make you think he is better than Bisping?

There is a reason he was a 2-1 underdog

yacobod

Banned
you must not watch a lot of mma, or you overrate guys for beating up bums in the c-leagues of mma. and honestly mayhem's record abroad wasn't all that great either. the guy definitely fits into the personality segment of mma, w/out his personality he wouldn't be taking up card space in major promotions.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I expected Bisping to win easily but damn Mayhem looked terrible.

Great personality but not much of a fighter

Yeah, the most obvious outcome seemed to be Bisping outpointing Mayhem 5-0 or 4-1. But for Mayhem to just give up due to exhaustion basically starting in Round 2 was really sorry. If Bisping wanted to really stick it to Mayhem he should have backed off right before getting the fight called. Could you imagine Mayhem in Rounds 4 & 5? He would have literally had to tap due to exhaustion. I mean, that's effectively what he did anyway though it goes down as a TKO.

charsace

you must not watch a lot of mma, or you overrate guys for beating up bums in the c-leagues of mma. and honestly mayhem's record abroad wasn't all that great either. the guy definitely fits into the personality segment of mma, w/out his personality he wouldn't be taking up card space in major promotions.

I think Mayhem is a good fighter, he just isn't a contender. He's a poor striker with a very good chin, decent take downs and a great ground game. He needs to improve his take downs if he wants to get wins in the UFC. I think he could be dangerous if he could consistently get guys down. He works well off his back too. I think he should do whatever he can to get the fight on the ground. Maybe he should take a page from Big Nog's book and play possum and then pull guard to attempt subs?

Heel

Good news everyone! "hammers hamil" from The UG is saying Strikeforce will live on. This guy has accurately leaked a lot of UFC news, so it's pretty safe to say this is a lock.

Strikeforce To Remain On Showtime

Business as usual for strikeforce has been agreed... The sticking point was the money for the licensing of the show as showtime thought the value was lost with the pilaging of the product showtime has reupped for 2 years at a reduced rate and has been reassured ufc fighters will be sent there and a rebuilding of all the division and the show will be more of a feeder league b team show... Showtime got a deal on the product and strikeforce lives on...

SHO SPORTS AND ken hirschman will be making the announcment on the broadcast next week and M1 Global has been shown the door as they have not been picked up for a renewal...

[in reply to Hershman having left to HBO Sports] correct ken hirshman is gone its the new sho sports director feeling a little tipsy from ufc lastnight calm down lol its a done deal..

a return to columbus in march and a bigger focus on womans mma and maybe even a new weightclass has been discussed...

sho sports got it at half the value of its last contract for the new licensing deal.....

it will be official next week on the broadcast with annoucments for more cards in 2012 and the date for the strikeforce tourny finals...

Strikeforce will never be officailly announced as a feeder show it will be branded as a alternative to ufc and will have a different feel but to the true fan it will be considered ...

Another reason why there sticking around is zuffa never had enough spots for the whole roster and did not want to cut and lose talent to bellator and other upstarts and wanted to make sure bellator did not capitalize on womans mma and carve there own niche and gain some market share as most of the woman and fighters would have likely ended up there...

Most shows will be done in vegas to save on costs and expendure and bigger shows in the already established markets its more a crawling before they run stragedy...

TheNatural

My Member!
Good news everyone! "hammers hamil" from The UG is saying Strikeforce will live on. This guy has accurately leaked a lot of UFC news, so it's pretty safe to say this is a lock.

This is the same guy I've seen before say Strikeforce was completely dead. So I don't know what to believe, but it sounds like Strikeforce is basically becoming what Sunday Night Heat or ECW was to WWE. Womens fighting, gimmick fighters, fighters with pasts that won't allow them back in the UFC (Barnett maybe.)

Barnett vs. Arlovski Strikeforce title fight next summer, heard it here first.

Top Bottom