• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Macattk15

2rYR9.gif

Didn't notice this on Saturday but that punch Jones landed was nice.

No no no, you got it wrong! Lyoto slipped and Jones caught em with the choke!!!! /sarcasm

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I don't know why I didn't chime in earlier, but hot damn.

Last weekend was some of the best UFC I've seen in a while. Frank Mir went from drunken boxing, to "you didn't need that shoulder anyway, son!" Amazing stuff.

Don't mess with an MMA fighter.

agrajag

Banned
Two things:

- Machida clearly won round one, this is not even up for debate. All things considered, he did well, and actually won a round from Bones, which is more than Rampage and Shogun can say. He was brutally finished, but I think his strategy so far has been the best against Jones.

- Machida's chin is just as questionable as Rashad's, Jardine's, and anyone else whose called a glassjaw round these parts. He gets clipped once and he buckles. That's unfortunate. But yeah, he got rocked with that punch and the elbow on the ground and got choked the fuck out. But he still didn't look like a helpless baby out there against Jones like Shogun did, let's all give him his due. It was a good fight.

I don't know why I didn't chime in earlier, but hot damn.

Last weekend was some of the best UFC I've seen in a while. Frank Mir went from drunken boxing, to "you didn't need that shoulder anyway, son!" Amazing stuff.

Don't mess with an MMA fighter.

Mir has got to be the most lucky HW fighter of all time. The only reason he beat Brock and Nog was all from retarded brain farts from both fighters. That last fight was a gift.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Two things:

- Machida clearly won round one, this is not even up for debate. All things considered, he did well, and actually won a round from Bones, which is more than Rampage and Shogun can say. He was brutally finished, but I think his strategy so far has been the best against Jones.

- Machida's chin is just as questionable as Rashad's, Jardine's, and anyone else whose called a glassjaw round these parts. He gets clipped once and he buckles. That's unfortunate. But yeah, he got rocked with that punch and the elbow on the ground and got choked the fuck out. But he still didn't look like a helpless baby out there against Jones like Shogun did, let's all give him his due. It was a good fight.

It's reasonable to say Machida won it, and I actually agree, but I think they landed the same number of significant strikes and Jones controlled the center of the octagon, so it's not really absurd to say otherwise. R1 was pure light pointfighting. I guess it's a good strategy in the sense of it gives you the chance to maybe be able to say you won a round from Jones, but not a good strategy to win imo. This version of Jones is not going to be Cruz'd/old Machida'd, he has too many ways to force the action that are really not conducive to a 5-round point-fighting strategy. Easy and I think correct answer is you have to LNP him to have your best chance to win. I wonder if someone like Lawal/Evans/Davis could actually devise a proper LNP strategy that would work. Seems very unlikely, but maybe.

agrajag

Banned
Really, Jones' saving grace is his physical advantages over other fighters. If he was the same size as his opponents, he'd still be an excellent fighter, but nowhere near the unstoppable wrecking machine he is now. Perhaps he won't be dethroned until another fighter shows up that matches his physical attributes and athleticism, however unlikely that is.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Really, Jones' saving grace is his physical advantages over other fighters. If he was the same size as his opponents, he'd still be an excellent fighter, but nowhere near the unstoppable wrecking machine he is now. Perhaps he won't be dethroned until another fighter shows up that matches his physical attributes and athleticism, however unlikely that is.

Indeed. All those guys are playing basketball.

After reading that one gaffer's extremely detailed analysis of round 1, I think Jones won, but I only watched it twice so just basing that on that post.

I think the best chance anyone has is just rushing in and hitting him with a perfect punch. I still think Hendo has the best chance of doing that.

AiTM

Banned
I love Hendo, but he doesn't have Machidas speed or precision, both of which is why machida could hit jones. Hendo is a middleweight fighting the frame of a heavyweight in jones, jones will never be in a position for that overhand right.The reach is too far apart, and Jones knows how to utilize it.

Usually guys get a little smaller though. Dudes HS who I knew were juicing always got smaller. It wasn't drastic, but it was noticeable.
That more of a change of diet and workout regiment. When you're off you need to work out more and eat more. Overeem will be alright.

Does anyone else give a shit about the idea of Evans vs Jones? Maybe its just me but for some reason I can't get excited about Rashad. I want Thiago Silva as Jones' next opponent!

agrajag

Banned
That isn't really how it works...I mean he won't stop lifting weights.

But people say Brock deflated from his WWE days because he's off the juice. I for one believe Overeem in that he's naturally cut. He was shredded at 205, when people were calling him a "string bean."

This was him at LHW. Look how big his fucking arm is:

208789_107953379288103_100002203235314_73574_5061977_n-1.jpg

Josh Barnett will never look like Overeem, no matter how much he roids.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Does anyone else give a shit about the idea of Evans vs Jones? Maybe its just me but for some reason I can't get excited about Rashad. I want Thiago Silva as Jones' next opponent!

The excitement of Evans is can he LNP Jones? Unlikely I think but that's the draw from a fight perspective.

Thiago Silva? Let Zombie enjoy his shared quickest-KO record for at least a year!

But people say Brock deflated from his WWE days because he's off the juice. I for one believe Overeem in that he's naturally cut. He was shredded at 205, when people were calling him a "string bean."

This was him at LHW. Look how big his fucking arm is:

208789_107953379288103_100002203235314_73574_5061977_n-1.jpg

Josh Barnett will never look like Overeem, no matter how much he roids.
Brock doesn't look the same because he changed the way he eats and the way he trains. Barnett could look good if he ate and trained right.

Reem has an insanely low body fat count for his size. That is genetics.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Uh, I do. Jones needs to fight someone who will try to put him on his back as that's the best chance anyone has in my view. Dan Henderson got outwrestled by fucking Shogun so I really don't care to see him against Jones.

Fair enough. I honestly can't explain what is about Rashad that makes me not care about him. I think maybe its because he comes across as a bad actor when he's trying to hype up beefs and he has a fairly boring, safe style .. imo. We all have our favorites and people we hate.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Besides jokes about doping, what has Chael done differently that made him better later in his career? Just training with different people?

Heel

Let's talk about Jon's eventual transition to heavyweight.

How much is he coming in on fight night at LHW?

Is that a weight he'd be comfortable with at HW?

If not, how long will he take to prepare to enter the HW realm? Unless aided by horse meat, it will take a while to bulk up.

Should he have tune up fights against smaller heavyweights while he transitions?

A lot of question marks surrounding his transition.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Let's talk about Jon's eventual transition to heavyweight.

How much is he coming in on fight night at LHW?

Is that a weight he'd be comfortable with at HW?

If not, how long will he take to prepare to enter the HW realm? Unless aided by horse meat, it will take a while to bulk up.

Should he have tune up fights against smaller heavyweights while he transitions?

A lot of question marks surrounding his transition.

Jones said he weighed 221 for the Bader fight. Dude is definitely going to have to get some diet tips from Reem when he moves up.

Biff

Jones said he weighed 221 for the Bader fight. Dude is definitely going to have to get some diet tips from Reem when he moves up.

lol Bones will never, ever move up as long as he's in Camp Jackson. Greg would NEVER let him do that.

I think Jones could do it. He has a pretty big frame for 205.

Jones vs Mitrione (even though he's on the bigger side) would be very interesting. I'd like to see that. They could feed him people like Miocic and Schaub to start though.

Heel

lol Bones will never, ever move up as long as he's in Camp Jackson. Greg would NEVER let him do that.

It's not really a question of letting him move up, more of having to do it. He's only 24...I'd be surprised if he can make the cut to 205 his whole career.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm starting to think that he'll have a hard time getting enough mass in his legs to fight at HW.

Yeah, people often make the comparison to Overeem but Reem was pretty thick even at 205. Not sure how he ever made that weight to be honest.

I think Jones at best could get to 235-240.

Heel

I think Jones at best could get to 235-240.

That'd be the best idea. No use fighting fire with fire against the Brock Lesnar's of the world. I think he'd switch his wrestling to defensive. Use his length and athleticism to keep it standing and pick these guys off from the outside.

Basically use his reach in a way that Struve is seemingly incapable of doing.

Top Bottom