• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

ShaneB

Jeez, I skip the thread for a couple days and chaos and broken loose. I wish I had watched that Reem hearing, sounds like it was ridiculous. Ah well.

TUF Brazil coaches hey.... guess it'll be a season with all subtitles.

yacobod

Banned
Wand is going to be brutally KOd by Vitor. It's probably going to look a lot like their first fight, except Wand might not get up this time.

charsace

Perhaps it's because we watched him flail with the precision and tact of a trailer park tornado against Leonard Garcia in the Fight of the Year 2010?

Thankfully he hasn't fought like he's in a barroom brawl since then, despite that battle that brought my attention to Chan-Sung Jung. I'd call him a good striker, but I considered Mark Hominick a better striker. His two fights in the WEC didn't display anything significant regarding striking, so I judged him accordingly.

Sometimes it takes guys a while to adapt their strengths to MMA because of the grappling or striking they have to also account for during fights.

Wand is going to be brutally KOd by Vitor. It's probably going to look a lot like their first fight, except Wand might not get up this time.

:( Why not set up Rampage vs Vitor? Rampage pretty much is not touching that belt as long as Bones has the title and Vitor aint touching Anderson again. Perfect fight for each other at this stage in their career's.

MjFrancis

I think Phil Davis and Aleksander Gustaffson will emerge in the coming years as exciting contenders at 205#. I don't think the old guard at 205# have anything for JBJ, although I'd like to see fights with Hendo and Rashad, but I don't think they have the skillset to win unless Hendo hits him with one of those nuclear right hands.
A bold prediction regarding our future champ Mr. Wonderful. He is getting the next shot at Jones after besting Evans.

The Wonderful era, 2012-20??.

You better believe it.

After he beats Evans how I described he'll best Jones by kimura using only his feet in Round 4. All kimuras will thereafter be referred to as "wonderfuls" in honor of this powerful new submission.

Heel

:( Why not set up Rampage vs Vitor? Rampage pretty much is not touching that belt as long as Bones has the title and Vitor aint touching Anderson again. Perfect fight for each other at this stage in their career's.

The coaches need to speak Portuguese. Paul Harris would've been television gold.

A bold prediction regarding our future champ Mr. Wonderful. He is getting the next shot at Jones after besting Evans.

The Wonderful era, 2012-20??.

You better believe it.

After he beats Evans how I described he'll best Jones by kimura using only his feet in Round 4. All kimuras will thereafter be referred to as "wonderfuls" in honor of this powerful new submission.

Its been confirmed that if Davis beats Evans than Hendo gets the shot. If Evans gets past Davis than Evans gets the shot.

MjFrancis

Sometimes it takes guys a while to adapt their strengths to MMA because of the grappling or striking they have to also account for during fights.
He already had eleven fights of bad-MMA under his belt at that point, but I get your drift. If no one's taxing his strengths he'll never better them.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
It's time for the UFC to feature the Light-Heavyweight division again on TUF. It hasn't been featured in the past eight shows and it'll be five years since the last time they were on when Ryan Bader won it all.

MjFrancis

Its been confirmed that if Davis beats Evans than Hendo gets the shot. If Evans gets past Davis than Evans gets the shot.
Oops, I guess I meant he gets the next realistic shot at beating Jones, lol.

But really, those three are the top contenders for Jones right now. He mows through Evans, Henderson might get a lucky shot but not likely, and then we have our future LHW savior Mr. Wonderful taking over for everyone at that point. It's just crazy enough to work, I tell you!!!

Heel

I wonder what the next #1 contender fight would be if Mr. Wonderful beats Rashad. He's already beaten Lil' Nog and Gustafsson, and Jon has beaten the rest.

yacobod

Banned
I'm truly baffled by this logic.

Why? Hendo is a worthy opponent by any metric. Recent wins, divsional ranking, all-time ranking. Plus the guy is an mma-legend. On top of that he possess a weapon that can end any fight, so that at least makes the match compelling on paper for 1 or 2 rounds. He's a 2 division champ in Pride, a SF Champ, has wins over Shogun, Fedor, Wand, etc.

ShaneB

Why? Hendo is a worthy opponent by any metric. Recent wins, divsional ranking, all-time ranking. Plus the guy is an mma-legend. On top of that he possess a weapon that can end any fight, so that at least makes the match compelling on paper for 1 or 2 rounds. He's a 2 division champ in Pride, a SF Champ, has wins over Shogun, Fedor, Wand, etc.

If Rashad is currently the #1 contender, which he apparently is, and Davis wins the fight, then by logic, Davis should be the #1 contender if he beats Rashad.

I would much rather see Hendo fight Jones over Davis. Hendo isn't getting any younger and time is not on his side. He has what is arguably the best MMA record of all time and is a legend. I still think Davis is way too green and has only beat Lil Nog in an unimpressive showing.

yacobod

Banned
If Rashad is currently the #1 contender, which he apparently is, and Davis wins the fight, then by logic, Davis should be the #1 contender if he beats Rashad.

Who says logic or rankings has anything to do with UFC matchmaking? Who sells fights trumps all that bullshit. Hendo is coming off of the fight of the year and is arguably the fighter of the year is JBJ didn't exist. He's coming off a 4 fight win streak with wins over babulu, cavalcante, fedor, and shogun. not too shabby.

ShaneB

Who says logic or rankings has anything to do with UFC matchmaking? Who sells fights trumps all that bullshit. Hendo is coming off of the fight of the year and is arguably the fighter of the year is JBJ didn't exist. He's coming off a 4 fight win streak with wins over babulu, cavalcante, fedor, and shogun. not too shabby.

Definitely don't disagree with you, it's more an issue I have with the current state of "rankings" and belts and all that, but that's a dicussion for another time. Hendo vs Bones I'd enjoy seeing too.

I'm just saying, if Phil Davis beats Rashad, you would imagine he'd get the title shot. But logic smchogic I guess. Ah well.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Well if Mr. Wonderful takes out Rashad easily I could see Dana reconsidering. Does Dana have more say in arranging title fights than Joe Silva?

MjFrancis

If the exciting Mr. Wonderful makes an appearance against Rashad Evans, we just might see a Jones v. Wonderful sooner. Since we're probably going to see sleepy time Mr. Wonderful give it to Dan Henderson next. He's not getting any younger and he'll get more buys for the PPV.

But after that the Mr. Wonderful era will be in full swing. I'm just not sure it will be exciting.

Heel

Mendes has moved from +320 to +175 against Aldo within hours of the line being set. Wish I could've got in early. It's not worth it now.

If Jones leaves the division in 2013 than I think its safe to assume Shogun/Machida would wreck the division with Page/Evans/Nog/Davis/Hendo being solid contenders. Maybe Vitor can move back to LHW...

Hendo is truly the #1 contender anyway you slice it. WTF has Evans done lately except consistently be on the DL and beat Tito?

While Hendo has wrecked dudes all year.

Hendo is truly the #1 contender anyway you slice it. WTF has Evans done lately except consistently be on the DL and beat Tito?

While Hendo has wrecked dudes all year.

I agree. Since Evans got stank leg all he did was get 2 very unimpressive decision wins against T.Silva, a rusty as hell Rampage and dominated a 2011 Tito. Hendo had whooped serious ass over that time period with a KO's over Bisping to Babalu to Fedor and now beat Shogun. Hendo's last loss was vs Shields who he almost finished too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Despite that though even while hitting Shields with "THE H-BOMB" he got dominated for 4.5 rounds including getting totally outwrestled. That's even worse than Gray Maynard-level gassing. But maybe that fight is old enough that it shouldn't factor in as much anymore?

Given the choice I'd rather see the Hendo fight, way more interesting historically and in terms of guys peaking. But I wouldn't hate to see the Evans fight either. Davis might not be a world-beater but if Evans beats him I'd say he deserves it as much as anyone else, or at least close enough.

the only blemish on Hendo's current streak was that can he beat in his last fight in Strikeforce. If only SF could have found someone tougher to feed him.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I'd like to see Rashad-Hendo but Dana won't want to kill off two future fights for Bones like that. Rashad is only getting a shot because of the beef.

Not only was the Shields fight a while ago but it was a different weight class, so yeah, not much to look into with that one except come to the conclusion that Hendo belongs in LHW for the remainder of his career.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not only was the quite a while ago but it was a different weight class, so yeah, not much to look into with that one except come to the conclusion that Hendo belongs in LHW for the remainder of his career.

Don't think it's unreasonable to say that looking at what Shields did to Hendo Jones could probably do 10x more. But maybe the cut really did affect him that much; he's certainly looked pretty great since granted not against good wrestlers.

I like to think it was age catching up to him with the cut to 185. That's my excuse for ignoring that fight. Also cuz it was so boring, how can you even remember it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dan Henderson has earned a shot but a guy who was taken down virtually at will by a muay thai kickboxer is going get brutalized by Jones.

It's a shame Hendo doesn't give a fuck about training his greco.

Was doing some digging from the time Evans lost the belt to now and comparing it to what Hendo did in that time frame.

Win Mauricio Rua
Win Fedor Emelianenko
Win Rafael Cavalcante
Win Renato Sobral
Loss Jake Shields
Win Michael Bisping
Win Rich Franklin
Win Rousimar Palhares

Lol Rashad doesn't deserve shit. Just give Hendo the shot.

ldcommando

Banned
Ufc 142 tickets bought.
Aldo by flying knee
Belfort by strikes to the back of the head
Paul Harris by leglocking the ref by mistake.

All kidding aside, I hope the card delivers like the last time.

Chamber and Boogie

HE IS OUT OF SURGERY!

DT62X.jpg

Top Bottom