• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
qtpwu.png

Excellent. Prolly how small he will look next to Bones.

Got this

UFC Returns to Australia in 2012 – Alves vs Kampmann

Following two sell-out shows in Australia, Ultimate Fighting Championship will be returning to Sydney on 3 March 2012. This highly anticipated event will pit two of the UFC’s most explosive welterweights against each other - Martin Kampmann and Thiago Alves. Be a part of UFC history and witness the debut of the flyweight division, where a two-bout tournament will decide the top contenders.

February 2011’s UFC 127 remains the equal fastest sell-out in the organisation’s history and next year’s show is set to be just as popular!

Ehhhhh

Looks like that 145 or whatever thing is on.

Hey kids don't forget to get your Sherdog NeoGaf pool picks in for Strikeforce this weekend ... unless you're Wakkum.

Unrelated: I was reading through Dana White's twitter feed to find the prison rape comment and I had to check to make sure I wasn't look at a fake twitter account. The guy tweets non stop all day long and 90% of it is fighting with people and calling them names.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
deer hunting = serious business

http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_19556708?source=rss
Lesnar, 34, of Alexandria, Minn., has been charged in Medicine Hat with three counts of violating the Alberta Wildlife Act in connection with a 2010 hunting and fishing trip, according to court officials and published reports.

The three counts are failing to tag a deer after killing it; allowing edible mule deer flesh to be wasted or abandoned; and illegal possession of a deer, a Medicine Hat Provincial Court official said.

As an American, Lesnar required a guide to hunt in Alberta.

"It is the responsibility of both the hunter and the guide to follow the regulations as it relates to hunting," Whiteside said.

The maximum penalty for each charge is a $50,000 fine and a year in prison.

Hey kids don't forget to get your Sherdog NeoGaf pool picks in for Strikeforce this weekend ... unless you're Wakkum.

Unrelated: I was reading through Dana White's twitter feed to find the prison rape comment and I had to check to make sure I wasn't look at a fake twitter account. The guy tweets non stop all day long and 90% of it is fighting with people and calling them names.
Thanks for the reminder, and I thought the same fucking thing when I checked Dana's twitter for the same quote. Didn't see anything rape related, just a lot of "fuck you too buddy!"

LOL, a year in prison for each? I know those statutes are probably nowhere near what they hand out for offenders, but the fact they are even a possible sentence is hilarious.

I can see the headline now: "UFC Star Brock Lesnar sentenced to three years for not tagging deer, and leaving edible flesh abandoned."

Improper hunting is serious business here in the states too.

MjFrancis

Hunting without everything being in order is very serious business. I have a very stupid brother-in-law who is probably in a similar boat, but unlike Brock Lesnar he won't have an expensive lawyer on hand to help him out. Something about getting his deer tags AFTER he got his deer. Sorry dude, that's still poaching, and they will still threaten to put you in jail for up to a year.

yacobod

Banned
looks like Gabe Gonzaga is going to be fighting at UFC 142, replacing Rob Broughton.

and in other news looks like Gray Maynard is going to Brazil to train with Jose Aldo in preparation for his match with Chad "Money LNP" Mendes.

looks like Gabe Gonzaga is going to be fighting at UFC 142, replacing Rob Broughton.

and in other news looks like Gray Maynard is going to Brazil to train with Jose Aldo in preparation for his match with Chad "Money LNP" Mendes.

That's pretty smart of Aldo. Maynard has a serious wrestle game plus size advantage.

Boogie

LOL, a year in prison for each? I know those statutes are probably nowhere near what they hand out for offenders, but the fact they are even a possible sentence is hilarious.

I can see the headline now: "UFC Star Brock Lesnar sentenced to three years for not tagging deer, and leaving edible flesh abandoned."

In Canada's Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the maximum sentence for trafficking in marijuana in an amount greater than 3 kilograms is life. Think anyone ever gets sentenced to that? A recent bust of a grow op of over 400 plants resulted in a sentence of 4 months in jail and one year probation.

Max sentences mean jack shit in this country.

hell, we have a criminal offence on the books of "Alarming Her Majesty". So if the Queen visits Canada, and she walks by you and you yell "Boo!" and scare her, you can be subject to a maximum sentence of 14 years in jail. I am not making this up.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Keeping up with the Strikeforce weigh-ins:

170 lbs.: Roger Bowling (170) vs. Jerron Peoples (180.5)*

WTF. Even Paul Daley and Rumble Johnson would blush.

Biff

Keeping up with the Strikeforce weigh-ins:

170 lbs.: Roger Bowling (170) vs. Jerron Peoples (180.5)*

WTF. Even Paul Daley and Rumble Johnson would blush.

Embarrassing. I hope Bowling gets 90% of Peoples' purse. That's such a huge disadvantage to be going up against a guy an entire weight class higher.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Embarrassing. I hope Bowling gets 90% of Peoples' purse. That's such a huge disadvantage to be going up against a guy an entire weight class higher.
I thought it was a typo so I went to other sites and surely enough, everyone is reporting it. The fight is now officially going down as a 179 lb catchweight fight. How the hell is that even allowed to happen, shouldn't the fight be cancelled?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Nah, cut that dude on the spot. It's embarrassing enough for a guy to come in 1 or 2 lbs over but 9-10 lbs? At that point, you clearly just don't give a fuck.

TheNatural

My Member!
I didn't see this posted, but it may have been a while ago:

The big men aren't long for Strikeforce, as the promotion will finish out its Heavyweight Grand Prix and soon afterward, eliminate the division in order to focus on its remaining weight classes.

The announcement was made by Strikeforce president Scott Coker during a Thursday conference call regarding the promotion's new extension with Showtime.

"What you'll see after the event with the tournament finals between Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier, you'll see one more fight where the winner will fight a top-rated heavyweight and then we're going to go back to focusing on our other weight classes," Coker said.

UFC president Dana White, who has a hand in running Strikeforce, cited the lack of depth for the reason from abandoning the class.

Can't blame him, results in better depth for the UFC, I'm sure they'll add Barnett, Cormier, and Big Foot to the UFC. Strikeforce had basically nothing left there. But then again, outside of Gil, what left is there?

TheNatural

My Member!
dana should bring over strikeforce's 205# guys too, or at least mo and gegard.

Nah, he needs a place to send Forrest when he comes back, and somewhere to put Rick Franklin in some catchweight fights. :p

My prediction is he'll send the F crew of Forrest, Franklin, and Fitch to Strikeforce since he doesn't seem to want those fucks on UFC PPV's anymore.

Biff

dana should bring over strikeforce's 205# guys too, or at least mo and gegard.

As long as Unkie Dana doesn't Diaz Hype™ them as contenders.

Bader versus Mo would be an interesting fight, pending him beating Page.

Gegard versus Machida would be a SICK fight, but Gegard doesn't have the fanbase to warrant that yet I think.

TheNatural

My Member!
Forrest is one of Uncle Dana's boys. He would never disrespect him like that.

Forrest sounded like he could not give less of a fuck in his last fight where he got destroyed by Shogun. Before the interview he was basically just all "I don't do this because I like it, just to test myself" and all that, and said he was going to hang around in different camps and stuff after the fight. He didn't sound like a guy all that interested in fighting anymore, and in the fight, he sure didn't look it. Maybe it was because he had a kid being literally born right then, but he didn't sound it before that either.

I'm guessing at the start of the year when some of this deal stuff is officially up and taking effect, we'll hear more on what's going to happen.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Uncle has always said Forrest would have a job in the UFC as long as he wants. After he retires he's going to get the Chuck Liddell token office job and I imagine he'll be doing that pretty soon.

I wonder what "other" top heavyweight can challenge the HWGP winner.

I would also like to see Mousasi and Mo in the UFC LHW roster. Outside of the former champs LHW is pretty shallow imo.

Mousasi vs Shogun should be next depending if Mousasi wins his next fight. Good fight for both fighters at this point.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I believe Bas will be commentating tonight's Bad MMA™ Legacy Fighting Championships show on HDNET (10 EST). I could be wrong though.

Ya, Forest has said other things that other fighters couldn't get away with, like saying he hopes he never has to fight Jones (before Jones was really in the spotlight, which I guess was just earlier this year). His attitude is pretty opposite of the TUF "do you want to be a fucking fighter" mentality, but I guess he's proven himself to Dana already so can say what he really thinks.

Also hell yes to a Page Shogun rematch. Page should put up a much better fight this time.

I seriously wonder if Shogun can still use his kicks since his surgery. That's his best weapon and was shockingly missing since his fight with Machida. Hell, he didn't even throw any in 3 rounds vs Jones and maybe 1 or 2 in 5 rounds with Hendo.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well, it's common to throw less kicks against wrestlers. The question is why Shogun was under the impression that Hendo wants to wrestle.

Top Bottom