• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

MjFrancis

When he wins against Diaz, yeah he'll get matched up to someone higher on the totem pole and we'll be on path towards a Cerrone v. Henderson III when Ben crushes Frankie Edgar next year.

UFC 141 Preview

iPlh9dytbeLVe.jpg

0047_93619.gif

plz let this happen

watermark.php

ldcommando

Banned
Cerrone and Diaz already doing their part:
Cerrone: “Really the only personal interaction I’ve had with Nate [was] at the open workout prior to this fight. I walk over to be like, “hey man, what’s going on,” shake his hand…”

Diaz: “Yeah, he shouldn’t have done that. He’s in my bracket, we’re gonna fight each other.”

Cerrone: “…he slaps my hand away, and calls me a punkass and walks off.”

Diaz: “You go your way, I’ll go mine.”

War Cowboy. 5-0 in 2011

Edit: beaten

Brock has the back of someone that should have never been that big and his body wasn't sure where to put the muscle. Just look at it. It's weird.

MjFrancis

Really, how can we predict how Frankie Edgar will react to an opponent like Ben Henderson? He's fought four fights in the past two years against two opponents. Sean Sherk is only the third noteworthy opponent Edgar has had in four years. When Edgar is confronted with a fighter of Gray Maynard's size that doesn't gas and that doesn't lay and pray, I'm betting he gets overpowered.

And speaking of Praynard, after Cerrone takes care of Diaz I think they should just throw him to that guy and find out what happens when you throw an overrated decision king against a submission artist. Cerrone would dictate the direction of that fight, guaranteed. Then a fan's only options will be considering whether Grey Maynard was overrated or if Cerrone was underrated.

I'll admit that Diaz won't be easy for Cerrone, but I'm betting a guy who had trouble with Dong Hyun Kim has an uphill battle with the Cowboy.

Cerrone's fought 5 times this year and finished most of his fights. Nate beat Gomi. Does anyone think Diaz had a chance here?

Very curious to see Lesnar-Overeem. Wasn't impressed with Overeem in his last fight. Still, I don't see Brock winning. Unless he also had chin surgery.

yacobod

Banned
Cerrone's fought 5 times this year and finished most of his fights. Nate beat Gomi. Does anyone think Diaz had a chance here?

why wouldn't nate have a chance against cowboy? it's not like he's a high level wrestler, so it should be a game fight. ppl must forget that nate has wins over lay praynard and melvin at 155#. i don't get why WT cerrone is a big favorite.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Really now, Edgar is so far above Guida and Jim Miller that I don't see how anyone can predict he's going to get steamrolled by Henderson.

pr0cs

Very curious to see Lesnar-Overeem. Wasn't impressed with Overeem in his last fight. Still, I don't see Brock winning. Unless he also had chin surgery.

'Reem looked terrible his last outing and I suspect if Brock can survive the first few minutes he will have his way with Overeem based solely on cardio.
Surviving the first few minutes will be the difficult part.
To me it will play out similar to his fight against Carwin but with Overeem having a better chance at actually putting Lesnar away before the end of the round.

ldcommando

Banned
I´m a Cerrone fan so I think he will beat Diaz but I don´t think it is going to be easy. They´re both well rounded and love to scrap, it should be a good fight.
And regarding Edgar, after what he did against Penn and Maynard, it is just hard to root against him. I think he beats bendo, but again, it will not be a easy fight.

MjFrancis

Really now, Edgar is so far above Guida and Jim Miller that I don't see how anyone can predict he's going to get steamrolled by Henderson.
Based on decision victories over a self-defeating Penn and a Gray Maynard that doesn't fight in Round 2 I don't think anyone truly knows how Edgar will react to defending his championship against only his third challenger for the belt.

I'm using my crystal ball like Ms. Cleo, because I consider the LW division to be so fucking stacked that it could be anyone's title. Edgar will probably lose sooner rather than later, but even then I would never count him out for a retaking of the belt.

why wouldn't nate have a chance against cowboy? it's not like he's a high level wrestler, so it should be a game fight. ppl must forget that nate has wins over lay praynard and melvin at 155#. i don't get why WT cerrone is a big favorite.

Why did he move weight classes initially? After Rory took him apart and pretty much embarrassed him, I get why he moved this time.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Based on decision victories over a self-defeating Penn and a Gray Maynard that doesn't fight in Round 2 I don't think anyone truly knows how Edgar will react to defending his championship against only his third challenger for the belt.

I'm using my crystal ball like Ms. Cleo, because I consider the LW division to be so fucking stacked that it could be anyone's title. Edgar will probably lose sooner rather than later, but even then I would never count him out for a retaking of the belt.

Well it's not that I think Edgar is going to run off a GSP/Anderson dynastic title run but I do think he's better than Ben Henderson in almost every facet of the MMA game.

charsace

I think he will stuff Bendo's take downs and out box him.

I think Cerrone will be the champ eventually though. One of the more fun fighters to watch and very technical.

MjFrancis

The only advantage Bendo has over Frankie is size. Frankie has better cardio, wrestling, and striking.
The FightMetric matchup agrees with you on striking, but so far Ben Henderson's grappling has been statistically better. I'd consider their stamina equal at the very least since everyone forgets how shit Maynard's cardio is so Edgar looked like he could run a marathon in comparison. I also think that his grappling, coupled with a lower quantity of strikes absorbed, an uncanny ability to avoid submission and his size advantage points to a victory for Smooth via submission or ground and pound.

If it goes towards Edgar's favor it will be a decision victory. Ben Henderson would have to mess up big time for a TKO loss (it happens) and giving Edgar a submission victory over Smooth might be one of the boldest MMA predictions of 2012.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's hard to predict anything at LW. So many guys have gone on 4+ fight win streaks and had the next big thing hype just to get sent tumbling back down the rankings.

AiTM

Banned
The only thing that worries me about Edgar is what happened in both first rounds of his last two fights with Maynard. He was in a real bad position both times. If he faces a striker with cardio and knows how to pace himself I can see him being in trouble.

yacobod

Banned
The only thing that worries me about Edgar is what happened in both first rounds of his last two fights with Maynard. He was in a real bad position both times. If he faces a striker with cardio and knows how to pace himself I can see him being in trouble.

lucky for edgar bendo is neither.

MjFrancis

the same cowboy cerrone who lost to jamie varner and dropped 2 bouts to bendo?
To be fair for the first fight against Smooth he didn't get the memo that submissions wouldn't work.

And Bendo/Pettis II would be appropriate should Ben Henderson lose against Edgar. Give him a chance to avenge his other loss of his career before climbing back up the ladder for another title shot.

Just saw a story that Junie Browning has contacted the US Embassy to protect him from the Thailand police and mafia. Apparently he assaulted a girl in a bar in Phuket.

dream

Just saw a story that Junie Browning has contacted the US Embassy to protect him from the Thailand police and mafia. Apparently he assaulted a girl in a bar in Phuket.

yeah, from this week's Observer:

Junie Browning, the former TUF bad boy and ratings draw is back in the news for a situation in Thailand that led to a manhunt. What was awesome about this, is Browning would post on Facebook while he was trying to avoid being captured by police. Browning was fired by Dana White in October of 2009 after he took 16 anti-anxiety pills and at the time it was believed he was trying to “harm” himself, was rushed to the hospital and attacked three nurses. Browning, 26, who is 4-5, having lost his last four fights outside the UFC, allegedly beat up on a women in a bar on 12/11 and attacked another woman who tried to intervene. Four others, all tourists from Australia and the U.S. then tried to intervene and in the fight, Browning and the other six all had to be taken to the hospital for treatment, including a man who was 68 years old. While being treated at Patong Hospital in Phuket, Thailand, the police said Browning started fighting with those in the hospital, and then fled the hospital and police were looking for him and informed authorities at the airport to watch out in case he tried to leave the country. Browning then stated on his Facebook page: “Wow, what a helluva weekend? Some pussy named Sie Menzes and about 10 of his friend started a fight with me, I guess just to test a `UFC fighter guy’ at his shitty little bar in Karan, Thailand. Had a beer bottle and glass mug shattered on my head then to make everything better, stabbed severely by some crazy Thai bitch. On a positive note, I managed to break a few orbital bones, at least a couple of jaws and some unconscious bodies laying on the ground before I blacked out from the loss and blood and apparently had to be resuscitated in the ambulance. So how was your weekend?” Later he posted, “Apparently in the news they are saying there were women involved. That is a 100% a crock of shit. The only woman involved was a Thai woman friend of theirs that sliced my forearm open with a six inch blade. At no point was any woman involved. Even at the hospital I was nothing but polite to every member of their staff. Not until a little birdy told me that the person that hit me with the mug was in the next room did I explode. I immediately sprinted over there and knocked him unconscious with one blow. Phuket law enforcement is very corrupt and apparently the guys that jumped me know more people than I do. I have multiple stitches over my head and body. You don’t have to be fucking Stephen Hawkins to realize a woman did not do this to me.”

Strikeforce lives

Will focus on lighter weight classes

HWGP champ will fight once more after the tournament is over and then the HW division is gone

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dana White: We'll be doing 6-8 events a year and we'll be focusing on key weight-classes and the women's division. We'll focus on the weight divisions that are strong. The heavyweight division isn't deep enough so we'll do away with the Strikeforce heavyweight division. The women's division is very popular and we're gonna keep it.

I wonder what weight divisions they consider strong. Considering Keith Jardine is booked for a middleweight title fight and all...

Fabricio Werdum Returns to the UFC

Former Strikeforce heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum is headed back to the UFC.

UFC president Dana White confirmed with MMAFighting.com on Thursday that Werdum "is a UFC fighter." Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

White would not confirm when Werdum would make his return to the organization, however, MMAWeekly.com and other outlets reported on Wednesday that "Vai Cavalo" would meet Roy Nelson at UFC 143 on Feb. 4 in Las Vegas.

Werdum (14-5-1) last appeared in the UFC in Oct. 2009 when he lost via first-round knockout to Junior dos Santos. The promotion released the Brazilian following the fight, which led to him subsequently signing with Strikeforce. The 34-year-old went 3-1 in Strikeforce, with his defining moment coming in June 2010 when he submitted Fedor Emelianenko in the first round. Werdum was last seen in a Strikeforce cage losing to Alistair Overeem via unanimous decision. He went 2-2 in the UFC.

On Thursday, White announced that the Strikeforce heavyweight division would be abolished in 2012, following the conclusion of the heavyweight grand prix and the GP winner fighting one more time in the organization.

ScOULaris

Sweet. Just signed up for Sherdog MMA Pick'em and joined the NeoGAF pool. I look forward to the official launch and clean slate at the beginning of the new year. May the best pickers win.
3AQmK.gif

dream

I was reading the local newspaper and apparently Brock came here and illegally killed our deer and now he's fucked.

Top Bottom