• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Rur0ni

if you think recent wins over the likes of the 3Gs, Todd Duffee, Kaz Fujita, and UFC washout Fabricio Werdum are good wins then you are too stupid to troll.

34xrlmp.gif

K-1 Level Striking LOL
Not a matter of good wins. Brock is pretty garbage.

Pushing Shane over and choking him, big deal. Beating undersized Randy? Right. Heath who? Beating Frank, big deal, Frank has been garbage for a while now.

Brock crumbles under adversity. Not to say Reem is beastly, or that he will beat Brock, but he's not a stranger to fighting.

MjFrancis

The purpose is light hearted conversation between gaf mma fans (all 8 of us). Might I suggest MMA Mania if all you care about are news drops?
If all you want is news you can just find sien916... I mean, heel's weekend roundup posts and call it a day.

Some of the trolling falls flat, but I like the mostly light-hearted discussions and back and forths some folk have here. I could bore my wife and coworkers to death with my MMA drivel, but instead I can share it with some folks who might give half a rat's ass here.

yacobod

Banned
honestly this thread is a community of like 6-10 posters, and i'm pretty sure most people are "in" on the joke to varying degrees. behind the trolling and comedy, there is still plenty of adequate discussion to be found.

MjFrancis

Have you ever checked out the views-to-post count ratio on this thread compared to, say, almost any other thread on this site? It's almost like we have a "DO NOT ENTER" sign that everyone sees but us.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I like that Capt has taken it upon himself to keep us updated on the status of all time p4p kingpin Georges St-Pierre.

Keep up the excellent work, my friend. :)

Have you ever checked out the views-to-post count ratio on this thread compared to, say, almost any other thread on this site? It's almost like we have a "DO NOT ENTER" sign that everyone sees but us.

All the sports threads are similar in that respect. I think people find it hard to enter a sports-gaf community.

I don't think it's that bad, at least compared to the other threads in my User CP.

MMA Gaf: 8,210 187,378
Fitness thread: 8,022 215,047

Why isn't Mousasi vs OSP the main card this weekend?

Also, that SF is up for picks on Sherdog for anyone thats interested. Cyborg is at 99% so far.

ShaneB

I have no idea how I broke into this thread. I wonder if I was scared. You're all very intimidating with your sarcasm and crazy in jokes and back and forth banter.

It's all very entertaining however, so perhaps people like to watch it from afar. :p

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I delete 2/3's of the post I write in the reply box for this thread.

Anyway, a lot of people these days don't actually know what MMA entails.

yacobod

Banned
Emilia Clarke is such a babe, she looks way better in person than in that hideous wig on the tv show, but if they actually get to season 5 of that show on hbo, you will hate her. in the book she has the most retarded story arc imaginable. gurm is dangerously close to jumping the shark on that entire series.

Has anyone heard what Karo Parisyan has been up to lately?

Emilia Clarke is such a babe, she looks way better in person than in that hideous wig on the tv show, but if they actually get to season 5 of that show on hbo, you will hate her. in the book she has the most retarded story arc imaginable. gurm is dangerously close to jumping the shark on that entire series.

I'll spoiler this for those that aren't keeping up with the books but ..
yeah her story is a bit slow in the latest book with the plotting of the city leaders, the betrayals, and having a spiritual journey back from wherever her dragon drops her but I'm loving it. I forget where they left it .. has she started invading Westeros yet or was it just the Golden Company?

yacobod

Banned
no
she was stranded in the desert having water diarrhea.

the only other sport thread i used to post at regularly was NFL-age, but those threads are so dominated by the mouth breathing white trash of Packers-GAF that I've kind of abandonded them. maybe I'll try to break into NBA-GAF for the lols this season.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
no

the only other sport thread i used to post at regularly was NFL-age, but those threads are so dominated by the mouth breathing white trash of Packers-GAF that I've kind of abandonded them. maybe I'll try to break into NBA-GAF for the lols this season.

Yeah, there's more than enough bandwagon Packer trolls in Northern Illinois (you know them because they also call themselves Bulls fans) so I'd rather not deal with them online too.

I like that Capt has taken it upon himself to keep us updated on the status of all time p4p kingpin Georges St-Pierre.

Keep up the excellent work, my friend. :)
I will be keeping daily updates on him.

Cowboy vs Diaz is fightof the douche bags. May the bigger douche win.
Cowboy is going to kick Diaz ass.

I don't think it's that bad, at least compared to the other threads in my User CP.

MMA Gaf: 8,210 187,378
Fitness thread: 8,022 215,047

K-pop thread part 2 1,206/47,656

I maintain that Cowboy Cerrone is the biggest douchebag in the UFC. War Nate Diaz!
WTF?!?! How can you support someone from Stockton?

Capt's avatars are usually pretty good too.
I do my best giving the fans what they want.

dream

no

My Clippers suddenly got a bandwagon. This is very odd and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Calling it a story arc would imply that something actually happens.

I have no idea how I broke into this thread. I wonder if I was scared. You're all very intimidating with your sarcasm and crazy in jokes and back and forth banter.

It's all very entertaining however, so perhaps people like to watch it from afar. :p
It took me a while to start posting in this thread only because I usually wasn't home during ppvs and had my fill of mma discussion with friends. But eventually gaf slowly integrated with life.

Whats the good word on the Strikeforce HW GP? I just want to see it done with already to have Barnett just move to the UFC. He would definitely be a top 5.

Big Country vs Werdum at 143. And Alves vs Kampmann at UFC on Fox 2. Those should both be some interesting fights.

Am I being too cynical for thinking its weird that Nick Diaz is included in mmajunkie's fighter of the year poll? Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan but he fought 3 times - yes his win against BJ was legit. But his other two wins are Cyborg and Paul Daley. Those two are a step above being Japanese fighters.

yacobod

Banned
fighter of the year poll is redundant after the year JBJ had. The only other ppl worth considering for 2nd place would be Dan Henderson, Nick Diaz, Bendo, or maybe Cerrone but his quality of competition was garbo as well.

Boogie

Big Country vs Werdum at 143. And Alves vs Kampmann at UFC on Fox 2. Those should both be some interesting fights.

Am I being too cynical for thinking its weird that Nick Diaz is included in mmajunkie's fighter of the year poll? Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan but he fought 3 times - yes his win against BJ was legit. But his other two wins are Cyborg and Paul Daley. Those two are a step above being Japanese fighters.

It's a moot point because any fighter of the year voting is a mere formality this year.

Edit: damn you, yaco!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
It's too bad top tenner HW, if not P4P, Mark Hunt didn't get that armbar. That alone would have been worth Fighter of the Year.

MjFrancis

or maybe Cerrone but his quality of competition was garbo as well.
Aside from Dennis Siver who was a legit Top 10 Cerrone was pretty much gatekeeping this year. I am tempted to call him the Michael Bisping of the LW division, except he did fairly well against Ben Henderson the first time. He sunk chokes that would have put any other fighter to sleep, but Ben Henderson apparently has a neck that Jack Dempsey would have envied.

He's an easy top 8-10 in the LW division, but definitely not second place fighter of the year.

I hate to say it but yeah JBJ is fighter of the year. Hendo should be in the running as well.

I think I am going to root for Diaz when he fights Cowboy. Just for the fact that he's a Greg Jackson fighter and I love it when Jackson fighters loose.

The way he beat Daley was legendary though. If he subbed him I'd say so what. He also had the best storyline of the year. I'm voting for him just because having fans seems to confuse the shit out of him.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from Dennis Siver who was a legit Top 10 Cerrone was pretty much gatekeeping this year. I am tempted to call him the Michael Bisping of the LW division, except he did fairly well against Ben Henderson the first time. He sunk chokes that would have put any other fighter to sleep, but Ben Henderson apparently has a neck that Jack Dempsey would have envied.

He's an easy top 8-10 in the LW division, but definitely not second place fighter of the year.

If he wins against Diaz, I think they'll match him up against some of the higher ranked guys.

Top Bottom