• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
ibhxyfMmK3TL07.gif

Oh wow, hahahaha!

Balehead

Herb had more faith in Jardine than any other viewer did. What a terrible stoppage from him judging by the gif.

edit: Watched some of the fights, and holy shit that Winslow is quite a piece of work. She's still somehow refereeing in MMA, unbelievable. I've never seen that ref do a good job, bad stand-ups, late stoppages etc. This time around she was near the action at least. Seen her run across the cage to stop a beating.

Probably ever since Shamrock complained that he stopped Tito too soon, he probably lets main events go longer. But you gotta adjust for the fighter and everyone knows Jardine has no chin.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I think we're going to need to add a heel subsection to the personality section in the OP. More comments from King Mo last night, on the ref:
"She said backstage, 'If I hear 'Ow' or 'Ouch' or 'Ooh,' I'm going to stop the fight,'" Lawal explained. "Man, this dude was cussing. I hit him, and he's like, 'Oh, [expletive].' I was like, 'Uh, ref?'

"I looked at her, so I kept on hitting him. I was like, 'Man, she needs to stop this thing.' I heard people in the crowd yelling, 'Stop it!' Then she jumps in all late."

Lawal said Winslow explained post-fight that her call was based on a desire to give Larkin every possible chance to recover and that "If it takes for him to be asleep, that's what it is."

Lawal believes that's an ill-informed explanation.

"She's never taken a punch before, so it's easy for her to say that," Lawal said.

Lawal cited a previous Winslow outing as proof that the official is sometimes slow to intervene in one-sided matchups. Citing a June 2010 bout in which then-Strikeforce female champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos was mercilessly beating on a defenseless Jan Finney, Lawal said he thinks Winslow may need to take on a different role in the cage to gain a better understanding of what she's watching.

"Let [Winslow] fight 'Cyborg,' and let's do a late stoppage with her," Lawal said. "I watched her almost get Jan Finney killed by 'Cyborg.' I think maybe the tables need to be turned. Put me in there as a ref, and I'll just do a terrible job like her."

On Mousasi (inb4 Fersis):
"He's the most boring person in MMA," Lawal said. "If they want me to beat Mousasi up – my bad, 'Kermit' up – I'll do it. But he's just so boring, I hate thinking about him.

"I would beat him up, but the dude's boring. Let's join my bandwagon, and let's boycott Gegard. How about that?"

On Rampage:
"Why you got bring up that bum's name?" Lawal asked. "If [Jackson] wants to come to Strikeforce and get beat, he can. To me, he needs to stick to acting and doing movies. To me in my mind and in my eyes, he don't got it no more.

"He can hit me up on Twitter and talk trash, trying get me off my game, but we all know the truth. Man, he's an actor – a sub-par actor. He should've got 'The B-Team,' not 'The A-Team.'"

Insulting fans again:
"It's like this: I'm in Strikeforce," Lawal said. "Fans that are asking about the UFC, they're stupid, man. I'm in Strikeforce. What can we say about the UFC?

"I'm in Strikeforce. The UFC has their own thing. Strikeforce has their own thing. I can't be concerned with what they're saying. I just got to worry about my fights in Strikeforce."

Heel

I think we're going to need to add a heel subsection to the personality section in the OP. More comments from King Mo last night

King Mo is an oldschool wrestling fan. He's either in a bad mood or this is a calculated heel turn. Barring the Rampage talk I've never seen him lay it on like that. He came off out of character in his post-fight interview too.

dream

I hate linking to Bloody Elbow but this is a really good editorial from a former fighter that says what everyone already knows:

To people within MMA, it usually comes as no surprise when a fighter tests positive for steroids. It's generally accepted that there are a lot of fighters out there who use banned performance enhancing drugs (estimates range from "a significant minority" to "almost all"), but most of the time they get past the limited testing that is put in place either by timing their steroid use carefully, using masking agents or both. It's only when someone makes a mistake that they get caught.

Because of this, performance enhancing drugs are often seen as a non-issue. "They're all taking it anyway, so what's the problem?".

Tougher penalties alone won't do. The testing procedures used in MMA are (on the whole) outdated enough that fighters are confident that with a little knowledge they can avoid getting caught. Occasionally, a fighter is careless or unlucky enough to test positive and receives a fine and a ban as a token sacrifice to the gods of public opinion and sporting legitimacy. Meanwhile, other fighters breathe a sigh of relief that on this occasion it wasn't them. Everything carries on as normal.

This approach isn't working. So what's the answer?

We have a choice to make. We can decide that we want steroids out of the sport. In that case, athletic commissions, governing bodies, promotions alike need to work together to implement gold standard drug policies. The World Anti-Doping Agency work with sporting organizations and produce model rules and protocols for testing. As a minimum, off season random testing of fighters is essential. It might never be possible to get rid of performance enhancing drugs entirely, but it's possible to tighten the net and change the balance between risk and reward in favour of the clean athlete. Some of the athletic commissions are starting to move towards stricter testing, but much more still needs to be done.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/7...borg-now-we-can-all-stop-pretending#storyjump

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
King Mo is a Pro Wrestling fan who wants to put some 'entertainment' to the sports.
I love his Heel persona.

A trained Mousasi (Just like a motivated Shogun/BJ) would be beastly!
WAR MOUSASI ! -_-

DAT SMILE
gegard-mousasi.img_assist_custom-350x479_medium.jpg

iddqd

Hooray for outspoken MO,
Booo for ZZzzz dutch guy.

I want more haha in my mma.

If there is a podcast after a UFC and they have MASTER MO on to comment on it = sweet entertainment and good discussion.
Let`s see if the dutch Kickboxer can work on his wreslin fast enough.

ScOULaris

Just locked in my Fantasy MMA picks for UFC 142. Honestly, the one that I had the hardest time deciding on was Vitor vs Rumble. Vitor has the better resume, for sure, but Rumble at 185 holds a ton of promise. I think that's the fight I'm most excited for.

Also, I hope Aldo returns to his dominant WEC style on Saturday and doesn't get wrestle-fucked by Mendes.

Wow another event this weekend already? Just two years ago or so I felt like I had to anxiously await for an event every few weeks w/ HDNET, UFC, and Strikeforce combined and now there's something every weekend .. and that's definitely not a complaint.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rumble is going to crush Vitor.

Wow another event this weekend already? Just two years ago or so I felt like I had to anxiously await for an event every few weeks w/ HDNET, UFC, and Strikeforce combined and now there's something every weekend .. and that's definitely not a complaint.

UFC cards every Saturday for the next 4 weeks.

I think I'm going to make my picks and then change them to the exact opposite.

Rumble is going to crush Vitor.

UFC cards every Saturday for the next 4 weeks.
I was going to pick Rumble as well so I will pick Vitor.

I like that it is every Saturday as long as they don't change the time again.

ScOULaris

I think I'm going to make my picks and then change them to the exact opposite.

I was going to pick Rumble as well so I will pick Vitor.

I like that it is every Saturday as long as they don't change the time again.

I wish they would switch back to 9pm again. I liked it a lot better. (I live on the east coast).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The FX card is on a Friday so my mistake.

Side note: I've discovered that Chad Mendes does not have a single highlight in gif form.

yacobod

Banned
You guys are aware that Vitor's Back, right?

i'm going to pick vitor to win btw. he's got a lot more big fight experience, i think he has better striking, grappling, and his tdd is pretty good.

if you look at rumble's career thus far, he doesn't even have a signature win over any top competition. i don't know, but i think vitor is going to ko him.

I think if Vitor connects he will. I hope Rumble does well but this is a tough fight for his first time at mw.

Shit, now I'm really thinking Vitor will win so I should pick Rumble again. This George Constanza shit doesn't work for me.

I want Vitor to win but hes 34 years old already which is like 90 in MMA years. I think Rumble will pull off the upset. He's a young hungry lion that should be even better at a MW than WW.

Heel

It's too bad that this Brazil card had Nedkov vs. Maldonado, now it has neither of them. That was an interesting fight.

Other than that looking forward to it. I don't see it being a decision fest like the last card.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
All UFC 141 Drug Tests Come Back Clean
All drug tests administered at UFC 141 came back negative for prohibited substances, according to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer on Monday.

Every fighter on the card, except for Jon Fitch, was tested. The news is especially significant considering Alistair Overeem was tested twice on fight week and passed both times. Overeem also passed the test he took in London prior to flying to Vegas, which was asked of him by the commission after he failed to meet their out-of-competition drug test requirements in November.

In a December hearing, which saw the NSAC grant Overeem a conditional license until he passed the drug test in London, the commission also announced that they will reserve the right to test Overeem one more time within the next six months.

According to Kizer, Fitch wasn't tested because, "that fight (Hendricks vs. Fitch) was a winner only."

Below is a list of all the fighters tested at UFC 141:

Alistair Overeem
Brock Lesnar
Nate Diaz
Donald Cerrone
Johny Hendricks
Alexander Gustafsson
Vladimir Matyushenko
Jimy Hettes
Nam Phan
Ross Pearson
Junior Assuncao