• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
BigKaboom2 said:
Tito and Franklin on Facebook is one of the stupidest things I can even fathom. Would have been a great main event for UFC 139.

If Tito and "Ace" headlined a PPV it would do under 300,000 buys. I don't think that match-up could sell a real ppv, maybe something overseas, or a PPV in 2006, but even then it's not a great match-up.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
penn is a much easier fight for diaz than GSP IMO and i think he'll outstrike him. seems i'm the only one - but diaz bitches. 209

desa

WTF did I wake up to. So stupid. Dana and his vindictive ass. Just let Diaz fight for the title and punish him with a pay cut. With that said, BJ vs Diaz is pretty sweet. I'm still disappointed but lol. This whole fiasco is just ridiculous.

yacobod

Banned
Dear smug wrestling aficionado masquerading as a mixed martial arts purist:

I don't have anything against wrestling in MMA, if the wrestler does something once he has his opponent on the ground. I like to see dominant top control that leads to violent ground and pound or submissions. Top control for the sake of top control to take a decision victory is not enjoyable to me. Going for take downs to try to steal rounds is a cheap tactic.

Actually I think the person who was really primed to bring about a GNP and top game submission revolution was Brock Lesnar, he was really developing a nice top game with his ridiculous size and strength, it's a shame illness has cut his career short. He was going to be an evolutionary combination of Mark Coleman, Tito Ortiz, and Mark Kerr.

ajlekk.jpg

Another recent good example of GNP was bendo unloading on jim miller a few weeks ago.

Signed,

A blood thirsty fan part of the new Attitude era.

yacobod said:

I don't have anything against wrestling in MMA, if the wrestler does something once he has his opponent on the ground. I like to see dominant top control that leads to violent ground and pound or submissions. Top control for the sake of top control to take a decision victory is not enjoyable to me. Going for take downs to try to steal rounds is a cheap tactic.

Actually I think the person who was really primed to bring about a GNP and top game submission revolution was Brock Lesnar, he was really developing a nice top game with his ridiculous size and strength, it's a shame illness has cut his career short. He was going to be an evolutionary combination of Mark Coleman, Tito Ortiz, and Mark Kerr.

Another recent good example of GNP was bendo unloading on jim miller a few weeks ago.

Signed,

*slowclap*

If someone gets lay'n'pray'd I blame it 100% on the loser of the fight. Just learn to wall walk like all the top guys do.
yacobod said:
If Tito and "Ace" headlined a PPV it would do under 300,000 buys. I don't think that match-up could sell a real ppv, maybe something overseas, or a PPV in 2006, but even then it's not a great match-up.
UFC 133 did 310,000 and I think Franklin is more of a draw than Rashad. I'm not sure what to attribute UFC 126's 725,000 buyrate to (Anderson's drawing power is all over the place), but Forrest and Rich were on that card as well. 115 did 520,000 which was pretty impressive though some of it was certainly due to Chuck and TUF. 103 did 375,000 which is about what I would expect for 139 if that fight were added, adjusting for the general downward trend + the bump from having Tito rather than Belfort. Even UFC 99 did 360,000 somehow.

What else could they use for the main event though? Just looking over the rankings, I would consider:

Lyoto Machida vs. Phil Davis - no buys.

Henderson vs. whoever - no buys.

Shogun vs. Tito - not bad.

Jones vs. Evans - ideal but it would be a really quick turnaround and a disappointing buyrate

Anderson vs. Palhares/Lombard (?)/one of the above LHWs - doesn't really make any sense but it would get some buys. Shogun or Mousasi would be ideal.

Everything outside of LHW is pretty much booked up.

yacobod

Banned
Caeser Gracie on Nick Diaz vs BJ Penn vs GSP

Caeser Gracie said:
BJ Penn's not a juice head. BJ Penn actually tries technique in a fight. This is a much tougher fight. This is the better fighter of the two. Georges St. Pierre is the bigger fighter of the two. He can beat people by being bigger or whatever. But this is the better fighter of the two. He's more technical. He's got a better ground game. He's got a better stand up game.

AiTM

Banned
lol at MMA Hour podcast...

Ariel asking on possibilty and safety measures of Silva/ Sonnen 2 when UFC goes back to Brazil, Chael Sonnen: "I know there are security concerns, but those guys and their blow darts dont scare me."

Quake1028

AiTM said:
lol at MMA Hour podcast...

Ariel asking on possibilty and safety measures of Silva/ Sonnen 2 when UFC goes back to Brazil, Chael Sonnen: "I know there are security concerns, but those guys and their blow darts dont scare me."

:jnc

polyh3dron said:
Hey Kaboom, what makes you say Hendo wouldn't get PPV buys?
I guess his Showtime cards haven't performed as badly as I thought - 341,000 average for Babalu, 412,000 for Feijao, and 512,000 for Fedor. I guess he erased the miserable performance in Nashville from everyone's memory with all those knockouts.

But he headlined two UFC PPVs against Anderson and Rich and they drew 325,000 and 350,000 respectively. The former came a month after Brock's debut did 600,000, and it was a middleweight title unification fight so I think that must have been somewhat disappointing. At the risk of sounding like dream, he doesn't do much to sell his fights.

EDIT: I guess Tito-Rich is not happening anyway - http://www.tatame.com/2011/09/09/Franklin-to-undergo-surgery-next-week--I-will-recover-quickly

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Boogie said:
Cesar back to being a douche and enabling Diaz' behavior.

Yawn.
^

GSP will eventually beat Diaz and Penn for the 3rd time while everyone whines about wrestling. Fun stuff.

BigKaboom2 said:
I guess his Showtime cards haven't performed as badly as I thought - 341,000 average for Babalu, 412,000 for Feijao, and 512,000 for Fedor. I guess he erased the miserable performance in Nashville from everyone's memory with all those knockouts.

But he headlined two UFC PPVs against Anderson and Rich and they drew 325,000 and 350,000 respectively. The former came a month after Brock's debut did 600,000, and it was a middleweight title unification fight so I think that must have been somewhat disappointing. At the risk of sounding like dream, he doesn't do much to sell his fights.
None of these guys are a draw with the exception of St-Pierre and Lesnar. Like Dana said, MMA isn't mainstream and these guys aren't well known.

charsace

CaptYamato said:
Yeah that is him. They should have brought in a Striking coach.
He didn't do to bad against GSP.

yacobod said:

Signed,

I would hope to see some activity from wrestlers that get take downs, but you won't always get that. Though sometimes when people say nothing is happening the guys are usually fighting for position. So the wrestler can start swinging away if there is a good chance he'll be reversed.

And the reason why a lot of strikers get taken down is because they are using pure striking foot work without a thought to getting taken down. In order for a striker to be successful he has to fight as a grappling counter. Its the reason why Chuck, Rampage, Machida, Spider, Overeem and other successful fighters sit back and wait for grapplers to commit and engage.

charsace said:
He didn't do to bad against GSP.

I would hope to see some activity from wrestlers that get take downs, but you won't always get that. Though sometimes when people say nothing is happening the guys are usually fighting for position. So the wrestler can start swinging away if there is a good chance he'll be reversed.

And the reason why a lot of strikers get taken down is because they are using pure striking foot work without a thought to getting taken down. In order for a striker to be successful he has to fight as a grappling counter. Its the reason why Chuck, Rampage, Machida, Spider, Overeem and other successful fighters sit back and wait for grapplers to commit and engage.
Stop making sense. Yaco won't understand it.

BigKaboom2 said:

Hendo is so much of a bigger draw now than he used to be. The Bisping KO followed by the three fights you just mentioned have made fans from all over love the guy. I've been to enough Strikeforce shows where they do shots of Strikeforce fighters in the audience and no one reacts to any of them until it cuts to Hendo and then the crowd goes nuts.

I'm sick of nobody talking about Strikeforce so here are my picks:
MAIN CARD (Showtime)

Josh Barnett vs. Sergei Kharitonov
Daniel Cormier vs. Antonio Silva
Ronaldo Souza vs. Luke Rockhold
Roger Gracie vs. Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal
Maximo Blanco vs. Pat Healy

PRELIMINARY CARD (HDNet)

Mike Kyle vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Yoel Romero
Jordan Mein vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos
Alexis Davis vs. Amanda Nunes
Chris Mierzwiak vs. Dominique Steele
Bellator:
Dan Hornbuckle vs. Luis Santos
Chris Cisneros vs. Ben Saunders
Chris Lozano vs. Brent Weedman
Steve Carl vs. Douglas Lima
polyh3dron said:
Hendo is so much of a bigger draw now than he used to be.
Yeah, I guess the jury's still out on this. I still don't think they can headline a PPV with him but perhaps we'll see. Honestly Mauro's H-bomb gimmick has done wonders for him.

yacobod

Banned
Josh Barnett vs. Sergei Kharitonov
Daniel Cormier vs. Antonio Silva
Ronaldo Souza vs. Luke Rockhold
Roger Gracie vs. Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal

I can't wait til barnett is in the ufc to cut some promos and shoot interviews. Bigfoot will be good for the division as well.

Sherdog says Mierzwiak's nickname is "College" and his opponent has no nickname so I went with Chris.

edit: Oh yeah and Paul Daley missed weight by six pounds for BAMMA. SIX.

all 137 bitching aside I am super hyped for Strikeforce tomorrow.
BigKaboom2 said:
Sherdog says Mierzwiak's nickname is "College" and his opponent has no nickname so I went with Chris.
there's some personality for ya...

BigKaboom2 said:

edit: Oh yeah and Paul Daley missed weight by six pounds for BAMMA. SIX.
lol it's BAMMA he doesn't give a fuck. also their saunas suck or something.

He missed weight last time for BAMMA and then a couple weeks later made weight against Diaz.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Oh yeah, I forgot Strikeforce still existed.

Picks for main card winners:

Barnetto
Big Foot
Jacare
Queen Mo
Pat Healy (Blanco will be exposed)

The HDNet prelims look pretty good too though:

Mike Kyle vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
Rafael Cavalcante vs. Yoel Romero Palacio
Evangelista Santos vs. Jordan Mein

Has anyone ever fought twice in one month for Strikeforce? Healy's getting all sorts of work while other guys sit on the sidelines for a year.

BigKaboom2 said:
Yeah, I guess the jury's still out on this. I still don't think they can headline a PPV with him but perhaps we'll see. Honestly Mauro's H-bomb gimmick has done wonders for him.
You could say it helped with his personality.

desa

Lol forgot about the SF Grand Prix. Thanks for reminding me.

How much does El Nino walk around at? He looks big in that picture. Looks like he cuts at least 30 lbs.

BigKaboom2 said:
Has anyone ever fought twice in one month for Strikeforce? Healy's getting all sorts of work while other guys sit on the sidelines for a year.
Lyle Beerbohm fought Healy and Aoki in a short time span.

ElNino

desa said:
Lol forgot about the SF Grand Prix. Thanks for reminding me.

How much does El Nino walk around at? He looks big in that picture. Looks like he cuts at least 30 lbs.
I walk around at about 190... could make 170 if I wanted to. ;-)

yacobod

Banned
Dana should've made hallman fight hughes, as punishment for wearing a banana hammock in his last match with ebertroll. It would serve 2 purposes, it give hughes a winnable fight while he's on the retirment circuit and gets him a chance for revenge for his old losses.

Top Bottom