• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Boogie

Bishman said:
At the end of the day, GSP can't duck Nick Diaz or BJ!

Of course he can't duck them, he's the champ.

And why would he? Since he'll spank the both of them. ;)

Chamber said:
Chael weighs 217 according to his Q & A session. Makes me laugh at people claiming GSP is some gargantuan Welterweight. 20lb+ weight cuts seem pretty standard at 170 and above.

At my gym we have a pair of guys who walk around, in training shape, at about 172 lbs, and fight at 145 lbs. It's insane.

ElNino

Boogie said:
At my gym we have a pair of guys who walk around, in training shape, at about 172 lbs, and fight at 145 lbs. It's insane.
It's really not that difficult to cut 20lbs. When I was wrestling my senior year in high school (many years ago now) I was naturally about 165 and I wrestled at 141. I would start my cut every Friday before a tournament and weigh in during practice on Monday afternoon. If I could do that back then (when I was a skinny high school kid) then I don't think a pro MMA competitor should have much trouble, especially given how infrequently they need to do it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I don't get the GSP trolling.

Sure Penn has heavier hands, St. Pierre was ill prepared to handled that first time round but he still got himself in the game and won. 2nd time around Penn was humiliated.

GSP lacks the knockouts and his last couple of fights were boring but Anderson himself also went through some boring periods.

He's a great champion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yet another reason why bellator is truly special: not only does their lhw champion not cut weight, he also doesn't even weigh a full 205

AstroLad said:
yet another reason why bellator is truly special: not only does their lhw champion not cut weight, he also doesn't even weigh a full 205
Yeah but any halfway good 205ers are in the UFC, even Strikeforce's 205 division is laughably thin.

desa

WrikaWrek said:

Sure Penn has heavier hands, St. Pierre was ill prepared to handled that first time round but he still got himself in the game and won. 2nd time around Penn was humiliated.

GSP lacks the knockouts and his last couple of fights were boring but Anderson himself also went through some boring periods.

He's a great champion.

He should just be honest with himself. Stop saying things like don't blink, I'm gonna finish him, or I want to be remembered as THE greatest champion/fighter in the history of mma. I think the hatred from fans will then ease up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
polyh3dron said:
Yeah but any halfway good 205ers are in the UFC, even Strikeforce's 205 division is laughably thin.
the bellator 205 tournament was entertaining as hell tho. doesn't bother me too much that none of those guys would even make strikeforce challengers

Chamber

love on your sleeve
desa said:
He should just be honest with himself. Stop saying things like don't blink, I'm gonna finish him, or I want to be remembered as THE greatest champion/fighter in the history of mma. I think the hatred from fans will then ease up.
GSP is 30 years old. When Silva was 30 years old he was getting tapped out by Japanese cans in Pride. He has a more than solid chance of being known as the "greatest."

desa

Chamber said:
GSP is 30 years old. When Silva was 30 years old he was getting tapped out by Japanese cans in Pride. He has a more than solid chance of being known as the "greatest."

No doubt he can be one of the greatest. I don't think he'll be THE greatest though.

BLACKLAC

Chamber said:

Trying to discredit Anderson Silva in order to defend gsp?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
alr1ghtstart said:
Remember when GSP would absolutely embarass people in fights? Yeah, I do too.
RTq0Y.png

BLACKLAC said:
Trying to discredit Anderson Silva in order to defend gsp?
How am I discrediting Silva?

Boogie

ElNino said:
It's really not that difficult to cut 20lbs. When I was wrestling my senior year in high school (many years ago now) I was naturally about 165 and I wrestled at 141. I would start my cut every Friday before a tournament and weigh in during practice on Monday afternoon. If I could do that back then (when I was a skinny high school kid) then I don't think a pro MMA competitor should have much trouble, especially given how infrequently they need to do it.

Oh for sure. Even though I train, I've never fought, so my perspective on weight cutting is very much that of a layman. Even when I was competing in BJJ competitions about five years ago, I never cut weight, and it wasn't really a prominent thing in the Canadian BJJ scene yet.

WrikaWrek said:

He's a great champion.

Quiet with your reason.

It's just trolling. They talk about "lay and praying", but the fact is that GSP's last two fights took place entirely on the feet, and GSP is one of the most active and successful guard-passers in MMA. It's all bullshit.

desa said:
No doubt he can be one of the greatest. I don't think he'll be THE greatest though.

Time will tell.

It is telling, though, that a few years ago, there was much debate and many candidates about who was the GOAT, or P4P best, or whatever. GSP, Anderson, BJ, Shogun, Fedor, were all thrown around.

HOWEVER, in the past year, the debate has been narrowed to ONLY be between GSP and Silva.

Now, currently, the consensus is that Anderson is above GSP (and at this moment in time, I agree. Something the trolls will overlook). But before Anderson's last two performances, the consensus favoured GSP. And things could sway one way or another again in the next couple years.

It's a young sport, and GSP is just entering his theoretical athletic prime. Who knows what will happen?

Boogie

Chamber said:
How am I discrediting Silva?

Because you're totally bringing up fights that happened, man. Like, in the past 'n shit. Before most people watched MMA. Not fair.

alr1ghtstart said:

I see both sides.

GSP on the path to the title straight up wrecked people.

And yet, in my mind, that Kos fight is a virtual stoppage. Have a competent doctor there, and the fight is stopped before the fourth round even starts.

How many fights has Kos had since last December? Oh yeah, zero. He couldn't even board a plane to go home, he had to be driven across the border. And that eye was still numb of feeling SIX MONTHS after the fight.

I'm not sure if there has ever been a decision in which so much lasting punishment had been dished out and the loser still survived to the end. It's like if Herb Dean hadn't reffed Sylvia/Mir and Tim pulled his arm out and limped to a decision. "Oh sure, Mir only won a decision, but he destroyed Timmy's arm!"

thirty

Banned
anyone go to Thailand for a muay Thai training camp? just started looking into them and they're dirt cheap, about 70-90 USD per week, cheaper if u stay a month. accommodations at a nice place are also cheap between $200-300. flight outta California though, $1100. would love to train 2 hours in the am then spend the rest of the day on the beach in paradise.

Boogie

thirty said:
anyone go to Thailand for a muay Thai training camp? just started looking into them and they're dirt cheap, about 70-90 USD per week, cheaper if u stay a month. accommodations at a nice place are also cheap between $200-300. flight outta California though, $1100. would love to train 2 hours in the am then spend the rest of the day on the beach in paradise.

Never done it, but sounds like a very appealing "vacation". I'm tempted.

Boogie

alr1ghtstart said:

Not a bad fight, but there's nothing really appealing so far for 140 to get me to buy tickets yet. Looks like I'll be hosting a fight party at home for that one rather than heading to the ACC myself.

Almost looks like this event will be a test to see how much the UFC can get away with a lackluster card in Canada and still sell out. I expect them to be disappointed.

I think they should do two Canada events a year. One Montreal event, and one ridiculously stacked Skydome event in Toronto. We hold the record gate revenue, Dana. Cater to us. ;)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
thirty said:

I'm reaching for a tinfoil hat right now, man. I got the idea to do this yesterday.

Basically I'm in Taiwan right now and I plan to go back to Scotland next year. I was thinking of a month's layoff in Thailand to do this before going home.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:

It's people like you that make me want to see GSP lose, and I actually like GSP. Comparing him to a guy who hasn't lost in a good seven years and has NEVER lost in the UFC is a fucking joke though. Who gives a fuck what happened seven years ago in another country? He's obviously a WAY different fighter now, he's finishing guys, and didn't lose just 4 years ago to Serra. Like I said before, when GSP can go 7 years without losing, get back to me. Or when he's willing to actually move up to face Anderson to prove he's the best.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TheNatural said:
It's people like you that make me want to see GSP lose, and I actually like GSP. Comparing him to a guy who hasn't lost in a good seven years and has NEVER lost in the UFC is a fucking joke though. Who gives a fuck what happened seven years ago in another country? He's obviously a WAY different fighter now, he's finishing guys, and didn't lose just 4 years ago to Serra. Like I said before, when GSP can go 7 years without losing, get back to me. Or when he's willing to actually move up to face Anderson to prove he's the best.
People like me? Little racist, bro. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wow first akiyama then cung le. ufc really doing its best to try to make vitor look good

what's next, a rich franklin rematch?

TheNatural

My Member!
- WWE reportedly announced the new WWE Network early in-part because they were concerned that UFC would announce plans to start their own network first. Ever since UFC signed with FOX, they've lost all interest in doing their own channel. While WWE usually acts like UFC isn't competition publicly, word is that Vince McMahon isn't happy with several recent UFC moves including their plan to run a 100,000 seat stadium in Brazil next year.

LOL. Maybe belongs in the Wrassle thread, but it's funny how Vince gets PO'ed about it.

yacobod

Banned
I don't know, it's not like there are a ton of guys that would be exciting match-ups for Vitor at 185. The division is pretty weak as a whole. I think the best match-ups would be either Sonnen, Leben, Bisping, or Stann. I think Vitor would probably beat 3 out of 4 of them anyways.

at least Cung provides a fun stylistic matchup and should probably end in a KO or TKO. No way the fight goes to decision.

That fight sounds good to me but I haven't seen very many Cung Le fights. Are people down on him just because Scott Smith knocked him out after getting worked for 13 minutes? Hasn't lost otherwise but his opponents haven't been too impressive.

parasight

Aw man, I really want a reason to go see 140 live but so far the fights are bleh. The only fight worth seeing really is Rory/Hairrow.

Top Bottom