• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

yacobod said:
Dear smug wrestling aficionado masquerading as a mixed martial arts purist:

Hahahaha never change yacobud. Even if it was at my expense I nearly spit my coffee out at this.

So basically you like the pound, and not the ground? As long as we're clear! I can appreciate high-level wrestling just as much as high-level striking and submissions.

I could to go into the whole "You know, they aren't just laying on each other, there's a whole lot of strategy going on..." discussion but then I realized I'm not sitting at the bar next to a bunch of guys waiting for that Anderson Silver guy to fight. You know better than that, right?

dream

In theory, high level wrestlers should beat the shit out of their opponents once they take them down. Look at the devastation the Marks used to wreak. Look at what Randy did to Pedro and Vitor's Back.

In theory, great BJJ players should be able to use the wrestlers momentum against them and lock up a sub or sweep into a more favorable position. Look at what Royce did to Dan the Beast. Or Mir vs Brock 1.

In practice today's wrestlers are too scared to get subbed so they just try to stall and win on positioning while todays BJJ players are too scared to get pummeled so they just close their guard and hold on for dear life knowing they can just complain about the decision by accusing judges of overvaluing the top game.

tldr: nobody wants to fucking fight anymore. too many rappers and not enough emcees.

WrikaWrek

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Oh lol, Cesar called GSP a roider, dis gon b gud

Btw,

chael2091.jpg

Chael looks huge.

Heel

Josh Barnett vs. Sergei Kharitonov
Daniel Cormier vs. Antonio Silva
Ronaldo Souza vs. Luke Rockhold
Roger Gracie vs. Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal
Maximo Blanco vs. Pat Healy
Mike Kyle vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Yoel Romero
Jordan Mein vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos
Alexis Davis vs. Amanda Nunes
Chris Mierzwiak vs. Dominique Steele

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
In theory, high level wrestlers should beat the shit out of their opponents once they take them down. Look at the devastation the Marks used to wreak. Look at what Randy did to Pedro and Vitor's Back.

In theory, great BJJ players should be able to use the wrestlers momentum against them and lock up a sub or sweep into a more favorable position. Look at what Royce did to Dan the Beast. Or Mir vs Brock 1.

In practice today's wrestlers are too scared to get subbed so they just try to stall and win on positioning while todays BJJ players are too scared to get pummeled so they just close their guard and hold on for dear life knowing they can just complain about the decision by accusing judges of overvaluing the top game.

tldr: nobody wants to fucking fight anymore. too many rappers and not enough emcees.

nods head in agreement.

dream

Perhaps dream's good friend and fellow sports entertainment enthusiast yacobod can edit the OP and add dream's new description of MMA under the "What is MMA?" question:

It's a stalemate of shit.

dream said:

fucking THIS.

dream said:

Basically. I love active wrestling. Scrambling for positions and takedowns. But wrestling should be a means to an end: (t)knockout or submission. If you're constantly trying to get one of those but don't, I'm mad. But holding a guy down as a means of avoiding the fight isn't what brought most of us to the table. Yes, MMA is a sport but as long as they intend to make money off of it by showing it to consumers it is also entertainment.

TheNatural

My Member!
All that could be solved if they would be willing to stand them up quicker, instead of letting them Fitch it up with worthless pillow strikes.

dream

TheNatural said:
All that could be solved if they would be willing to stand them up quicker, instead of letting them Fitch it up with worthless pillow strikes.

How do you do that though? What's the line between meaningful action and nonmeaningful action?

Look at Clay Guida. He never stops working once he takes you down but he doesn't exactly do much either. How do you extrapolate intent in a fight?

TheNatural

My Member!
dream said:
How do you do that though? What's the line between meaningful action and nonmeaningful action?

Look at Clay Guida. He never stops working once he takes you down but he doesn't exactly do much either. How do you extrapolate intent in a fight?

Um, if the punches are actually doing something?

dream

TheNatural said:
Um, if the punches are actually doing something?

What do you consider "doing something?" Jon Fitch does things with his punches. It keeps his opponent from improving position, annoys the shit out of him, and helps him find openings for power shots.

Bishman said:
My boy Nick "209" Diaz is getting screwed! Let him fight GSP! The world is always against him!
I want to see him fight GSP as well, but please don't spew this whole "Nick is getting screwed, the world is out to get him, FUCK YOUR MOTHER" bullshit. He promised to Dana that he would at least show up to the pressers. That's the "little bit" of the game he agreed to play as part of his contract.

It's the fans that are getting screwed here.

Does it drive anyone else crazy when Zuffa employees refer to cards/shows/events as "fights"? At least five times this year I've had to wait for further clarification because it's unclear what context they're using that word in.

dream

Yeah, it bugs me when they're like "we'll be putting on 15 PPV fights this year and we'll run 12 fights on free TV."

polyh3dron said:
I want to see him fight GSP as well, but please don't spew this whole "Nick is getting screwed, the world is out to get him, FUCK YOUR MOTHER" bullshit. He promised to Dana that he would at least show up to the pressers. That's the "little bit" of the game he agreed to play as part of his contract.

The fans aren't getting screwed because we demanded it according to Dana and Dana needs to stop forcing such restrictions on Diaz if he has anxiety.

Bishman

polyh3dron said:

LOL I'm just trolling. But yeah - Dana could have fined Nick and left him in the main event. Sigh. What happens if he beats BJ and gets "another" title shot. Are they going to take it away from him again?

Boogie

Rafa=FedKilla said:
The fans aren't getting screwed because we demanded it according to Dana and Dana needs to stop forcing such restrictions on Diaz if he has anxiety.

From the fact that A) Diaz has gone to press conferences in the past, and B) Cesar Gracie, rather than trying to straighten Diaz out, decided instead to find his balls and start talking shit again, I don't think I buy the "social anxiety" shit.

I think Diaz the thuggish simpleton just said "fuck this shit" and was too stupid to think there would be consequences.

dream

Boogie said:
From the fact that A) Diaz has gone to press conferences in the past, and B) Cesar Gracie, rather than trying to straighten Diaz out, decided instead to find his balls and start talking shit again, I don't think I buy the "social anxiety" shit.

I think Diaz the thuggish simpleton just said "fuck this shit" and was too stupid to think there would be consequences.

This post is awesome if you read it with a French accent.

Boogie

Bishman said:
LOL I'm just trolling. But yeah - Dana could have fined Nick and left him in the main event. Sigh. What happens if he beats BJ and gets "another" title shot. Are they going to take it away from him again?

I don't believe Penn/Diaz has been officially declared a #1 contender's fight. So he wouldn't necessarily have gotten "another" shot just yet. ;P

I say make him run the gauntlet of kos then Fitch in order to get a title shot now.

edit: d'oh, what am I saying, that won't matter, because BJ is going to beat Nick. ;)

Blackface

Banned
desa said:
WTF did I wake up to. So stupid. Dana and his vindictive ass. Just let Diaz fight for the title and punish him with a pay cut. With that said, BJ vs Diaz is pretty sweet. I'm still disappointed but lol. This whole fiasco is just ridiculous.

The canceled flights cost the UFC 15 thousand dollars. Add on to the fact he did no press at all for the event, which pissed off various press outlets in a number of cities.

He shouldn't fight for anything. Dana is smart for having the balls and showing Diaz he can't be walked all over. Diaz won't do this again otherwise he knows without a doubt, he won't get paid, he won't get fights, and when his contract is up, he will be dropped.

Boogie

Blackface said:
Shields is bigger then GSP. I lawl

He's accusing GSP, who has never tested positive for steroids, of roiding, while at the very same time hosting a man in his training camp, Sonnen, who got busted for juicing.

You can't expect rationality or logic out of Cesar Gracie. He's just playing to the yacobod's of the MMA world.

Bishman

Boogie said:

I like you Boogie but get off of GSP nuts bro. You should be GSP PR team.

At the end of the day, my two favorite fighters are the real main event: BJ vs Diaz.

Even Anderson Silva acknowledges that BJ is the best.

AiTM

Banned
I think Diaz was used to being the big man in the small show, and started to believe he was really the best. Suddenly the real 170 undisputed champ opportunity came, along with tons of hype of fighting in the big show. He was never hyped to the level he was for this fight, he had alot to lose, and alot of people watching.

Thats alot of pressure for anyone to handle. I think it got to him and he cracked. The only reason any of us wanted to see the fight is because he is an unorthodox scrappy brawler who would get in GSP's face and swing...

But anyone with any knowledge would know that GSP would just side step him and keep slipping the jab, or wait for the chance and shoot in on him. Diaz wasn't going to win that fight.

sien916 said:
Nightmare scenario: GSP and BJ win, and the UFC thinks a 3rd fight is a good idea.

It angers me when Dana moves fighters to other classes because they face the champ and lose. Rich Franklin needs to be at 185, and Penn needs to be at 145 or 155. I would love to see Penn/Aldo. Much more so than any 155 or 170 fight. Maybe he cant make the cut, but his build and frame makes me think he could.

Boogie

Bishman said:
I like you Boogie but get off of GSP nuts bro. You should be GSP PR team.

At the end of the day, my two favorite fighters are the real main event: BJ vs Diaz.

Even Anderson Silva acknowledges that BJ is the best.

My boy is the champ, brah.

I know that just makes me all the more irritating, but you're just going to have to deal with it. :)

alternate troll-post: if BJ is the best, how come he lost twice in a row to a natural 145lber? Or how come he has never won more than three fights in a row in his entire career?

polyh3dron said:
I was excited for it because Nick's strengths and fighting style guaranteed that GSP wouldn't be able to go into "safe decision" mode.

Sure, but I think that also applies to Carlos' strengths and fighting style.

Boogie said:
Conduit doesn't have as good of a submission game off his back, not good enough to threaten GSP like Nick's guard would. GSP wouldn't feel safe in Nick's half guard or at jabbing distance because he'd be catching a shitload of pitter patter punches

AiTM

Banned
polyh3dron said:
I was excited for it because Nick's strengths and fighting style guaranteed that GSP wouldn't be able to go into "safe decision" mode.

And I was excited because Diazs style might have given GSP his first TKO in a while

Bishman

Boogie said:
My boy is the champ, brah.

I know that just makes me all the more irritating, but you're just going to have to deal with it. :)

alternate troll-post: if BJ is the best, how come he lost twice in a row to a natural 145lber? Or how come he has never won more than three fights in a row in his entire career?

At the end of the day, GSP can't duck Nick Diaz or BJ!

TheNatural

My Member!
yacobod said:
DO you really think 15K is shit to the UFC? Really?

Whether or not it's shit to the UFC, its still $15,000 wasted on a stupid little prick too scared to show up. Hopefully they take that shit out of Diaz's contract.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
WrikaWrek said:
Chael looks huge.
Chael weighs 217 according to his Q & A session. Makes me laugh at people claiming GSP is some gargantuan Welterweight. 20lb+ weight cuts seem pretty standard at 170 and above.

Top Bottom