• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Going to my first session of MMA tonight, looking forward to it. Tonight is grappling and thursday striking.

Any beginner mistake I should know to avoid?

I've seen one gym in Taipei that offers "MMA classes." I get the impression that they're offering a lesser experience compared to taking dedicated striking and grappling courses individually. Then again, learning the combined disciples at the same time and using them both whilst sparring has its benefits of course.

My advice is to take it slowly, learn, and be prepared to fail a lot in your first month of classes. Also, if you're out of shape you're in for a world of pain. I was close to throwing up on my first few Muay Thai classes.

Never tap, it shows weakness

Also,

If they don't tap to your sub, crank that shit

I'm really glad I don't go to American gyms.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Never tap, it shows weakness

Also,

If they don't tap to your sub, crank that shit
Nay, it shows more than weakness. It shows you have submitted to your opponent and you are now their bitch. No one will ever look at you the same, your dog will disown you.

NEVER TAP

BECAUSE JESUS WOULDN'T

blSds.gif

dream

Should you win your first fight, make sure everyone knows you're willing to fight whoever they put in front of you.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
lol industrian, it was sarcasm, just not blatant enough like scooter I guess.

I know you're joking man ;), but I've heard stories of idiots in American gyms just trying to fuck people up deliberately. Didn't Evilore get injured from a guy not releasing a hold in one of his BJJ classes?

He's going to be a skeleton. God help him if Paul Harris gets a hold on one of his legs.

This is ... bad. Then again I guess it's wrong of me to expect explosive action from a MMA event in Beirut.

Biff

I know you're joking man ;), but I've heard stories of idiots in American gyms just trying to fuck people up deliberately. Didn't Evilore get injured from a guy not releasing a hold in one of his BJJ classes?

I dunno, I kinda feel like that's all gyms?

The explosion of UFC has increased fanbase across all demographics, including dickheads. We have them in Canada too. I only had one bad experience as a white belt rolling with a skinhead purple belt. He was an asshole. After his first try-hard sub I was just like "fuck this shit" and tapped instantaneously everytime he got close to anything. I'm not getting my arm broken to avoid looking like a pussy.

He got pretty annoyed but holding a white belt in a sub after a tap would have gotten the shit kicked out of him by an instructor, and he knew that. They don't stand for that nonsense.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Going to my first session of MMA tonight, looking forward to it. Tonight is grappling and thursday striking.

Any beginner mistake I should know to avoid?
Tell them you have experience in the Harold Howard System. They'll be terrified of you afterwards.

Also, wtf did the world decide to collective vomit all of its Bad MMA this weekend? Fuck all that man
53936.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
You guys have long crossed BadMMA and are in the depths of hell you shall never recover from. It's went from BadMMA of "hey that guy had some wins in PRIDE or UFC" to "hmm that guy once was on a WEC prelim" and now to depths of "oh shit, that guy is a badass sheep herder in Lebanon."

Godspeed.

dream

Can we talk about "piss on the mat," please?

What does that mean? Whose piss was it? Why was there piss on the mat?

Top Bottom