• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

I guess we could go on pretending that going backwards and circling out to regain the center of the ring is an invalid strategy in combat sports employed by one of, if not the greatest boxer of all time. It is very Starnes-like and never finishes fights.

Good talk.

When coupled with great offense, sure. But it's all he did. The few body and head kicks conduit landed were flashy but there wasn't much behind them. And those leg kicks weren't Aldo/Faber leg kicks. There was an overall reluctance to engage by conduit. I didn't like it.

ShaneB

In that promo, they only specify they're fighting for the bantamweight belt. Am I missing something in not knowing how many women's divisions there are? I'm sure it's not exactly a wide range... and I'm sure there's a weight limit where they just don't want to go. Women's Heavyweight MMA, could you imagine that.

edit: well damn I should've refreshed before replying because I'm late!

TheNatural

My Member!
HE DID NOTHING!

19.gif

HE DID NOTHING!

20.gif

HE DID NOTHING!

24.gif

HE DID NOTHING!

21.gif

ARM FLAILING LIKE A 3 YEAR OLD TRYING TO BEAT YOU UP = SOMETHING!

13.gif

Seriously, get the fuck over it. He lost, and he's not fighting again anytime soon. The end.

spongebob-butthurt.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
and Condit said none of his punches hurt.

Does it look like they hurt? That last gif of his flurry in the second round was his best offense the whole fight. But yeah, lets talk about how Condit's kicks had nothing on them and cheer shots that would barely qualify as physical enough to be sold as "punches" in WWE.

Oh gosh this still going on? Even Lesnar didn't remain "relevant" for this long after he retired.

Lesner wasn't supposed to be the guy that could make GSP fight. Diaz's fannoys had it in their minds that he could beat GSP and walk through anyone and they can't let it go that their overrated flat footed boxer got out boxed.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Are you guys still going on about this?? really?

Sure, the fight was disappointing given the hype, but all this bickering? Conduit gameplanned Diaz, classic Greg Jackson really, and Diaz didn't have an answer. That's all there was to it, imo.

Is this the fight to fracture the mma-gaf old timers? I sense some form of cattiness not present in other fights. :/

Luixfern

24.gif

HE DID NOTHING!

21.gif

ARM FLAILING LIKE A 3 YEAR OLD TRYING TO BEAT YOU UP = SOMETHING!

13.gif

1.) That's the same kick from 2 different angles, why don't you add 2 more angles of the same kick to make it even MORE convincing that he destroyed Nick.

2.) Looking for liver shots is EXACTLY what a 3 year old would look for... /roll eyes

3.) Even people like me who admit Condit won aren't upset that he won, it's HOW he won that leaves us unsatisfied. If you want "us" to get over it stop recycling gifs.

4.) No shit Condit would say his punches didn't hurt, Nick said his "baby kicks" didn't either and that proves what?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
When coupled with great offense, sure. But it's all he did. The few body and head kicks conduit landed were flashy but there wasn't much behind them. And those leg kicks weren't Aldo/Faber leg kicks. There was an overall reluctance to engage by conduit. I didn't like it.

Well maybe you can send Condit a checklist of things youd like him to do during the match so he can validate his win to you and all the other nay sayers. I mean its not like it was the match in the upper echelons of world class competition or anything. Hell if jones doesnt flat out decaptiate rashad i'll be totally 'unsatisfied' cause he clearly didn't try hard enough.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Everytime Condit got hit in the/near the chin, he would run scared.

There's a difference to what Condit did and what Ali did. Ali did something to one of the heaviest punchers of all time, he broke his spirit, at one point he started talking shit to Foreman and then knocked him out.

Foreman entered a depression that changed him as a man. Diaz was shrugging off the stings of this butterfly.

edit: Also Ali took a beating on the ropes from him. We aren't talking about turning your back to your opponent and flee to another part of the ring. There's a difference.

yacobod

Banned
Well maybe you can send Condit a checklist of things youd like him to do during the match so he can validate his win to you and all the other nay sayers. I mean its not like it was the match in the upper echelons of world class competition or anything. Hell if jones doesnt flat out decaptiate rashad i'll be totally 'unsatisfied' cause he clearly didn't try hard enough.

here's the thing friend and it's the ultimate conundrum. some people in this thread want the UFC and mixed martial arts to be a pure sport. they don't care if winning or losing is exciting or pleasing to the viewer. the unified rules are the rules, and if a fighter follows them and manipulates them to win fights, then so be it. then the other set of people think combat sports have always had an entertainment component that is inherit to them, and want the fights to be entertaining. we are the roman mob. and we want the blood of the christians spilt on the sand.

so i have to ask you, which side are you on:

S4E11_02.jpg

Luixfern

here's the thing friend and it's the ultimate conundrum. some people in this thread want the UFC and mixed martial arts to be a pure sport. they don't care if winning or losing is exciting or pleasing to the viewer. the unified rules are the rules, and if a fighter follows them and manipulates them to win fights, then so be it. then the other set of people think combat sports have always had an entertainment component that is inherit to them, and want the fights to be entertaining. we are the roman mob. and we want the blood of the christians spilt on the sand.

Fuck unified rules. Fighting is about damage. Which is why the Pride rules were superior than shin kicking to win 3/5 rounds and then going on defense. Also, yellow cards.

That said before some white knight chimes in like King Arthur, Condit DID with the fight 10 point system.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

S4E11_02.jpg

Having a preference to how a fight ends (who the hell doesnt like a KO?) doesn't delegitimize a win just cause you didnt like how it played out. He met the criteria for that check in the W column. Dudes is salty. The argument went from 'oh he didnt really win it was cecil peoples and 2 of his clones scoring the match' to 'well ok he won but my feelings dont align with the result'. Of course the sport should be entertaining but they arent all gonna be housefires at a fireworks factory.

MjFrancis

I'm on the side that doesn't gift a win or a rematch to a losing fighter of a perhaps unexciting fight.

And on the side of guys with beards that KTFO guys named Jon Fitch.

knockouts_Johny_Hendricks_KO_Punch_Jon_Fitch_UFC_141.gif

You may hate the unified rules, as do many others in this thread, but that's just a thin veiling of trolldust that you're among the people who can't let Diaz's loss go unanswered. My assertion that none of you are applying the same criteria to Diaz as Condit going unanswered is strong evidence of that.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Fuck unified rules. Fighting is about damage. Which is why the Pride rules were superior than shin kicking to win 3/5 rounds and then going on defense. Also, yellow cards.

That said before some white knight chimes in like King Arthur, Condit DID with the fight 10 point system.

Well let me get Excalibur. Damage you say?

scaled.0204_web_diaz_condit004_t653.jpg

Keep grasping at straws. Really its not desperate at all. (In case the picture doesn't translate..yea thats diaz's face looking like minced hamburger. Feel free to post the picture showing the damage diaz did.

Luixfern

Having a preference to how a fight ends (who the hell doesnt like a KO?) doesn't delegitimize a win just cause you didnt like how it played out. He met the criteria for that check in the W column. Dudes is salty. The argument went from 'oh he didnt really win it was cecil peoples and 2 of his clones scoring the match' to 'well ok he won but my feelings dont align with the result'. Of course the sport should be entertaining but they arent all gonna be housefires at a fireworks factory.

But then degrees meeting the criteria like the Werdum vs Nelson and then there's ways to meet it like Condit vs Diaz.

Werdum whooped that ass, period. No need for a rematch. Condit won on points, didn't beat that ass, I would have liked a rematch.

Luixfern

Well let me get Excalibur. Damage you say?

scaled.0204_web_diaz_condit004_t653.jpg

Keep grasping at straws. Really its not desperate at all. (In case the picture doesn't translate..yea thats diaz's face looking like minced hamburger. Feel free to post the picture showing the damage diaz did.

Hamburger? Really? Do have any idea how easy it is to cut scarred tissue? The air from those whiffed spinning back fists did more damage than that punch.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Hamburger? Really? Do have any idea how easy it is to cut scarred tissue? The air from those whiffed spinning back fists did more damage than that punch.

Youre the one who brought up damage. Who did more damage? Condit. Who landed more shots. Condit. Who won the fight Condit. Its hilarious that no one blames Diaz for how the fight went down. What exactly did he do that blew your mind in the fight. Other then bouncing his skull off of condit's glove?

Luixfern

Youre the one who brought up damage. Who did more damage? Condit. Who landed more shots. Condit. Who won the fight Condit. Its hilarious that no one blames Diaz for how the fight went down. What exactly did he do that blew your mind in the fight. Other then bouncing his skull off of condit's glove?

I thought it was understood SIGNIFICANT damage. I don't consider opening scarred as fuck tissue as damage, a fast enough GRAZE can do that. I also don't consider light kicks to the leg SIGNIFICANT damage. I blame Diaz for not cutting of the circling, but at least he was willing to lose his teeth, walking forward the whole time. If your boy was a "Natural Born Killer" then capitalize on that, knock him out then. Hes supposed to be a bad motherfucker, drop KO, or submit him, or decision him like Werdum decisioned Nelson.

Just be happy your boy won, I gave you that much a million times already.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I thought it was understood SIGNIFICANT damage. I don't consider opening scarred as fuck tissue as damage, a fast enough GRAZE can do that. I also don't consider light kicks to the leg SIGNIFICANT damage. I blame Diaz for not cutting of the circling, but at least he was willing to lose his teeth, walking forward the whole time. If your boy was a "Natural Born Killer" then capitalize on that, knock him out then. Hes supposed to be a bad motherfucker, drop KO, or submit him, or decision him like Werdum decisioned Nelson.

Just be happy your boy won, I gave you that much a million times

so basically you got nothing. Your boy walked forward and got outworked and in your book taunting and cryin when you dont have the skill to deal with your opponent constitutes an immediate rematch?

Balehead

If your boy was a "Natural Born Killer" then capitalize on that, knock him out then. Hes supposed to be a bad motherfucker, drop KO, or submit him, or decision him like Werdum decisioned Nelson.

Just be happy your boy won, I gave you that much a million times already.

Werdum's actually called Vai Cavalo but he didn't Go Horse on Nelson at all. Nothing in his performance reminded me of an animal of any type.

Luixfern

so basically you got nothing. Your boy walked forward and got outworked and in your book taunting and cryin when you dont have the skill to deal with your opponent constitutes an immediate rematch?

What else is there to have? One fighter was wanting to bang the other to point. I never once said Diaz won that fight under a 10 point system. I just think Condit didn't do enough to show me he was the better fighter. Better at TKD, sure, but a fighter, no.

Which is why I would like a rematch. You also act as if I'm the only one. A lot of people are also not convinced and awarding Diaz a rematch would have been better than waiting will GSP game back. At least we would have a fight in between.

If Diaz stuck out his index finger and out poked Condit in the chest would that make him the better fighter? After all hes making contact. Fight metric would say he landed more shots, no? Just cause you touch your opponent doesn't mean you hurt your opponent. But hey, that's all it takes to win, right?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
People just hate Diaz so they'll go to great lengths to defend Condit's Greg Jackson orchestrated sparring session win.

Luixfern

People just hate Diaz so they'll go to great lengths to defend Condit's Greg Jackson orchestrated sparring session win.

Apparently if you keep it real, you aren't classy. If you aren't classy, you are an enemy of this thread. It doesn't matter if you are a good fighter or not, class comes first!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Apparently if you keep it real, you aren't classy. If you aren't classy, you are an enemy of this thread. It doesn't matter if you are a good fighter or not, class comes first!

wAAAH he didn't stand in front of me waaah I'm retiring cause i got lead in my feet waaah. Yea. REAL classy.

yacobod

Banned

Ok thank's for proving my point. You sir have declared yourself for the side of science.

It takes two to fight spar. That's been my point the entire time.

Can you name me the last time Nick Diaz was in a boring fight? That's been my point the entire time. If you review the last page of discourse, I don't think you will find anyone championing that Nick Diaz won the fight. I could really care less at this point, and furthermore talk of a rematch is pointless since Mr. Diaz pissed hot for smoking weed. Polyh3dron and others were merely stating that they do not enjoy watching that style of fighting. Their criticism is valid whether you share their opinion or not. It's sports entertainment after all.

tumblr_kwo1ixWImD1qz4wexo1_400.jpg

yacobod

Banned
Guys just stop already. Let's talk about how Mir is going to sub Cain.

nonsense. the men of science are on one side, and the men of faith are on the other. it's war.

but ya HW legend Frank Mir adding HW GOAT Sugar Cain's arm to his impressive collection would be sweet.

Top Bottom