• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
Multiple Choice Question:

Which fight did you enjoy the best?

A. Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit
B. Jake Ellenberger vs Diego Sanchez
C. Rashad Evans vs Phil Davis
D. Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes
E. Melvin Guillard vs Jim Miller

I selected the 5 most recent main events to eliminate any perceived bias.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

D. Every time a wrestler gets laid out an angel gets its wings.

yacobod

Banned
At gunpoint I'd select B, but my favorite finish was obviously D. because I hate Chad Mendes and watching him get KO'd was delightful. It was also nice to see an inspired performance from Aldo.

MjFrancis

Can you name me the last time Nick Diaz was in a boring fight? That's been my point the entire time. If you review the last page of discourse, I don't think you will find anyone championing that Nick Diaz won the fight. I could really care less at this point, and furthermore talk of a rematch is pointless since Mr. Diaz pissed hot for smoking weed. Polyh3dron and others were merely stating that they do not enjoy watching that style of fighting. Their criticism is valid whether you share their opinion or not. It's sports entertainment after all.
You're rambling man.

I'll use polyh3dron's logic. We're not talking about Condit's record. We're not talking about Diaz's record. We're talking about the fight you called boring and how the responsibility rests on both fighter's shoulders. Diaz didn't change up anything until twenty-three or so minutes into the fight. Maybe if he wasn't smoking so much weed he could have thought about going for a takedown and changing up his tactics before that.

At least we'll always agree Cerrone/Diaz and Henderson/Shogun were legendary. The latter more than the former, of course.

Before I drop it I'll answer the multiple choice. "D," knowing that I haven't got around to watching "B" quite yet. Still probably D, though.

sazabirules said:
Let's all make up by watching Bad MMA together.
So far the first two fights of Dream 1 have been serviceable. Kinda surprised me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

A :)

Let's all make up by watching Bad MMA together.

Too late to make up. Sides have been taken, lines have been drawn.

Maybe if he wasn't smoking so much weed he could have thought about going for a takedown and changing up his tactics before that.
If he didn't smoke so much weed those shots would have hurt him more. I hate unified rules with all of my being, but Diaz would have lost that in PRIDE rules too.

B>D>>>>A>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>C

I actually don't really remember much about E.

agrajag

Banned

B. Jake Ellenberger vs Diego SanchezC. Rashad Evans vs Phil Davis

With A being a close second.

Heel

here's the thing friend and it's the ultimate conundrum. some people in this thread want the UFC and mixed martial arts to be a pure sport. they don't care if winning or losing is exciting or pleasing to the viewer. the unified rules are the rules, and if a fighter follows them and manipulates them to win fights, then so be it. then the other set of people think combat sports have always had an entertainment component that is inherit to them, and want the fights to be entertaining. we are the roman mob. and we want the blood of the christians spilt on the sand.

so i have to ask you, which side are you on:

S4E11_02.jpg

DOcrS.jpg

ShaneB

B.

It had everything that makes a good fight in my opinion. And when I asked what makes a good fight not too long ago, I would've thought this would've been another great example of that.

Plenty of heart from both guys, plenty of action from start to finish, no giving up in either fighter, a fight where we wish it was 5 rounds, etc etc. It also was a great example showing that a loss doesn't mean much when you know you've put on a spectacular fight for the fans.

TheNatural

My Member!
1.) That's the same kick from 2 different angles, why don't you add 2 more angles of the same kick to make it even MORE convincing that he destroyed Nick.

2.) Looking for liver shots is EXACTLY what a 3 year old would look for... /roll eyes

3.) Even people like me who admit Condit won aren't upset that he won, it's HOW he won that leaves us unsatisfied. If you want "us" to get over it stop recycling gifs.

4.) No shit Condit would say his punches didn't hurt, Nick said his "baby kicks" didn't either and that proves what?

Yeah he obviously had a lot of power behind those shots. Every fucking fight everyone talks about his "50% punches" those looked more like 20%. My three year old nephew hits harder than that.

Keep crying though Diaz fans.

Heel

Kendall Grove got subbed by Jay Silva with an arm-triangle last night. Uh, whoops? I guess Uncle Dana was in attendance.

402451_346168998750442_182745365092807_1072704_199481266_n.jpg

dream

Again, hilarious.

You created this environment of bitching and bickering.

To be fair, this environment was created by Rush's style of fighting. Damn near every argument can be traced back to boring vs exciting and Rush is nothing but the utter representation of the former.

yacobod

Banned
Again, hilarious.

You created this environment of bitching and bickering.

you are the only person who engages in this type of behavior in the thread. while the core group disagrees on some things from time to time, it's probably one of the better communities on gaf.

but you wouldn't know that since you only come into the thread to snipe.

Heel

To be fair, this environment was created by Rush's style of fighting. Damn near every argument can be traced back to boring vs exciting and Rush is nothing but the utter representation of the former.

Hopefully Conduit tries the same tactics in the real title fight. GSP will show you what Nick couldn't.

yacobod

Banned
Well you've got to get people interested somehow.

put em in bikinis and give them round cards :)

i hear the UFC has an opening for ring card girl

pours one out for TBC

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Had it been a 5 round main event like all the other recent events, I think Diego would have had a legitimate chance at winning the fight. Ellenberger was gassed out and would of been in trouble in rounds 4 and 5. But Diego clearly lost the decision in the fight.

ShaneB

Had it been a 5 round main event like all the other recent events, I think Diego would have had a legitimate chance at winning the fight. Ellenberger was gassed out and would of been in trouble in rounds 4 and 5. But Diego clearly lost the decision in the fight.

Yeah, I should've clarified, my laughing is more to do with Diaz's reaction, not so much his opinion on the result.

Had it been a 5 round brawl, Diego was on the upswing and Jake was clearly done after 3 rounds.

Heel

Oh boy. I can't wait until the resistable force meets the movable object.

Master Jackson exploited a hole in Nick's game. GSP has no such hole.

GSP has the footwork and striking knowledge to cut off the ring and bring the fight to Cautious Carlos. Nick did not.

GSP has the wrestling ability to put Condit on the mat if need be. Nick did not.

GSP vs. Conduit will be a beautiful chess match equivalent to drinking a fine wine. You still on that Boone's Farm, brah.

dream

Master Jackson exploited a hole in Nick's game. GSP has no such hole.

GSP has the footwork and striking knowledge to cut off the ring and bring the fight to Cautious Carlos. Nick did not.

GSP has the wrestling ability to put Condit on the mat if need be. Nick did not.

GSP vs. Conduit will be a beautiful chess match equivalent to drinking a fine wine. You still on that Boone's Farm, brah.

That made me laugh way too hard for being out in public right now.

I agree with you. Rush St. Pierre will put Condit on his back for 25 minutes and that will be that.

Luixfern

If there were no time limits.. Diego would have won.

Is it really hard to see what Nick's opinion is on fighting?

Yes. If you aren't in the Great List of Classy Fighters, you aren't entitled to an opinion. It doesn't even matter if you are a veteran of the sport who has actually stepped inside the octogon, GAF fightmetric scientists are ALWAYS correct.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
diazbros account was supposedly fake. I can totally see his point of if it had been a real fight (i.e. not ending at 15 mins).

Top Bottom