• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

This stupid pickem is still fucked up after a week. Someone check to see if my picks registered for 144, as I cannot login normally. I can login through http://mmapickemchallenge.com but not http://fantasy.sherdog.com and none of the of the messages or scores have updated.

Don't worry, you're playing for second now.

ibmNC9n71aWkAT.gif

I don't think they're taking picks for 144 yet.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They takes picks for a week prior (check to see if mine registered). The site is just bizarre though. It looks exactly the same as the real one (which I can't login to), but before the Fuel show. It still shows me in the lead.

OVeqA.png

Heel

Ah, maybe it's just a Facebook thing then. I created an account with Sherdog and haven't had a problem.

I wouldn't mind starting all over again to even the playing field, but we always end up having lopsided scoring eventually. They should really add leaderboards for each event...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
They takes picks for a week prior (check to see if mine registered). The site is just bizarre though. It looks exactly the same as the real one (which I can't login to), but before the Fuel show. It still shows me in the lead.

OVeqA.png

I don't know how to put the comment things in. I'd make mine "I'll fight whoever Joe Silva wants me to fight."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
?

If you're referring to the comments on the screenshot of the Sherdog leaderboard - that screen was from right after the Condit/Diaz fight. Looks totally different now. Heel is the new overlord. :/

Over the long haul, Heel's bad mma instincts are hard to overcome.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Don't worry, I have a feeling I'm going to make some very poor decisions on this Japan card. I'm not talking about picking Bendo either. That's a lock, brah.

The PPV picks are fine. It's these damn FuelTV and Strikeforce undercards that bring me down.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Yeah that's why I didn't join. No point in sweating out picks for a bunch of guys I have no idea who they are. If I'm going to pick randomly then it kills the fun for me since it takes any analysis and "skill" out of it. That's why I much prefer NFL pick 'em and suicide pools.

DKehoe

I've thought for a while we should do an elimination pick 'em using just the main event. Everyone picks who they think will win the main event, if you are right you continue to the next event if you are wrong you are out. Keeps going until it's just one person at which point we start over again. Anyone interested?

bone_and_sinew

I've thought for a while we should do an elimination pick 'em using just the main event. Everyone picks who they think will win the main event, if you are right you continue to the next event if you are wrong you are out. Keeps going until it's just one person at which point we start over again. Anyone interested?
If it included the main card and people aren't allowed to pick the fighter they picked for the rest of the year/until it starts over again then I'd be down, that'd be a true suicide pool. Main event only is too limiting, it'd be like only picking SNF games in football.

Heel

I already lost.

DKehoe

If it included the main card and people aren't allowed to pick the fighter they picked for the rest of the year/until it starts over again then I'd be down, that'd be a true suicide pool. Main event only is too limiting, it'd be like only picking SNF games in football.

I'm open to expanding it but just don't want to alienate people by having picks include fights between two guys they have no clue about.

EDIT: I consider the main event of this weekends show Mark Hunt vs Cheick Kongo

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I say we create a new pool for every major event. The person who wins the most cards is the Ultimate Champion™.

bone_and_sinew

I say we create a new pool for every major event. The person who wins the most cards is the Ultimate Champion™.
Not only that, we all pitch in and buy that person a UFC championship belt.

There's a Jon Jones joke in there but I'm in zombie mode after an awful night of sleep.

dream

The UFC's first of six live shows on Fuel set the all-time ratings record for the station, which isn't as impressive as that sounds given it's the lowest rated national cable station and it was averaging 7,000 viewers per show last week if you exclude the UFC programming.

The 2/15 show was the beginning of a long-term plan. The idea for FOX is to build Fuel into its own sports channel, and in doing so, the short-term goal is to sacrifice live UFC show audiences to create a climate of UFC fans calling their cable operators asking for the channel. It's one thing for replays of old PPV shows or even UFC Tonight and some live cards are on the channel to help in that direction. Where it becomes negative is when the Countdown shows are on the channel. The effectiveness of those shows is to get eyeballs who are on the bubble or not buying, into beoming PPV buyers. Airing on a channel only viewed by the most hardcore of fans and few others isn't going to be effective in that goal.

The first live full card on Fuel came from the Omaha Civic Auditorium, and was headlined by local fighter Jake Ellenberger, who got a hero's ovation. Now he didn't draw big, but those who were there were behind him in a big way. Ellenberger graduated from high school at the Civic Center and went on to wrestle at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. He survived a late onslaught and got a late escape that may have saved him from either being on the wrong end of a finish or a 10-8 final round. That allowed him to hold on and decision Diego Sanchez by straight 29-28 scores.

Ellenberger won the first two rounds handily, and Sanchez won the third, but by not quite enough to get the 10-8 that would have seen the fight end as a draw.

The fight was so spectacular, and the tide had turned so much at the finish that it caused Dana White to change the company's directives on main events once again. Once the fights that are already under contract are completed, all main events will be five rounds. The rule had been that if a PPV show didn't have a title match, that the main event would go five rounds, and the same would go for shows on FOX. However, FX and Fuel cards were to have three round main events. When the fight was over, Sanchez said he wished it would go five rounds.

Another change is that Brian Stann got a shot at doing pre and post-fight analysis on this show and was so good that it appears he's going to be a regular for Fuel in this role, working with Jay Glazer. It may not be every show, because this coming week, Rich Franklin will be in the spot.

The show did 217,000 viewers, or an 0.5 rating, making it the most watched show in the history of the network. But it was all but guaranteed this show would set the station's all-time record. It was also the most watched evening and the most watched full day in the history of the network. 60% of the viewers were Males between the ages of 18-49, putting Fuel at No. 9 for the night in that demographic. It's also the epitome of a narrow appeal, whether it be the product, or the nature of the hardcore fan base that will go out of their way to find a station they aren't familiar with.

The Sanchez vs. Ellenberger fight did 315,000 viewers and an 0.7 rating. On the flip side, that was less viewers than any UFC or WEC show had ever done, but that was guaranteed to be the case on a network with limited clearance, as this show was available in barely half the homes Versus was. And it was available in barely half the homes MTV 2 is in and did a comparable number to what Bellator does, and in fact, beat many of the Bellator broadcasts for total viewers.

UFC has six events scheduled for Fuel, with the idea not necessarily doing big numbers, but more to have people call up cable companies asking about getting Fuel. Anecdotal reports have it that a lot of those calls were made, but whether that leads to more clearances remains to be seen.

The Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen fight may be moving to Rio de Janeiro instead of Sao Paulo due to the noise ordinance in Sao Paulo which wouldn't allow an event at the stadium ending past midnight. A UFC event would end closer to 2:30 a.m. there because of the time difference. No other venues in the city would be available on 6/16.

White noted that he had a meeting with Showtime last week and he's going to have more decision making power over the Strikeforce events. Exactly what that means is not known, but said the changes would be evident shortly. White is going to be heavily promoting the 3/3 Miesha Tate vs. Ronda Rousey fight.

White also addressed Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz, after Lorenzo Fertitta talked about the fight. White said it's not happening when Lorenzo thought but it could happen. As noted last week, the plan was originally for the 5/5 show, and then for the 5/26 show, but Ortiz isn't likely to be ready as he's pretty banged up. There were hopes of putting it on 7/7 and promoting it as Ortiz's retirement fight and making a big deal about it, if he can make it by that date.

The death of Mike Bernardo, the K-1 star from the late 90s, is now being reported to be a suicide caused by depression at the age of 42.

UFC has six events scheduled for Fuel, with the idea not necessarily doing big numbers, but more to have people call up cable companies asking about getting Fuel. Anecdotal reports have it that a lot of those calls were made, but whether that leads to more clearances remains to be seen.
If any lurkers are in Hawaii, I've been told you can call Oceanic and get Fuel for free if you have digital. If you're still on the old cable, you're shit out of luck.

Heel

UFC on Fuel 1 - 1110
UFC 143 - 1500
UFC on FOX 2 - 720
UFC on FX 1 - 1200
UFC 142 - 420
Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine - 860

"Akiyama's aggressive, slugging style has made him a favorite among hardcore fans in the U.S. Once a huge star in Japan, he embarked on dual fighting and acting careers before scandals in fights against Kazushi Sakuraba and Kazuo Misaki damaged his profile."

What's this about?

(I wasn't aware of Akiyama until his fight with Belcher)

dream

He basically pulled a GSP against Sakuraba and slathered himself with vaseline to avoid being submitted by his submission expert opponent.

"Akiyama's aggressive, slugging style has made him a favorite among hardcore fans in the U.S. Once a huge star in Japan, he embarked on dual fighting and acting careers before scandals in fights against Kazushi Sakuraba and Kazuo Misaki damaged his profile."

What's this about?

(I wasn't aware of Akiyama until his fight with Belcher)

He's Japan's answer to GSP

In K-1 Premium 2006 Dynamite, Akiyama fought Kazushi Sakuraba in the main event. During the match, Sakuraba called to the referee saying "[Akiyama is] Slippery!" Akiayama went on to win the match with a referee stoppage. This created a controversy amongst MMA fans in Japan, assuming Akiyama was using some sort of body oil or lubricant, banned in K-1 rules.

But at this moment, Akiyama answered to questions about the oil in the interview as follows: "I have no idea why Sakuraba felt slippery. It may be my sweat, as I sweat a lot always and it often drips off my body."

On January 11, Akiyama and FEG (the parent company of K-1) held a press conference during which Akiyama said he used Olay lotion prior to the fight claiming that the lotion was used to treat a worn gi.[7] Pre-fight footage also showed Akiyama casually applying six bottles of lotion to his body in his locker room. As a result, Akiyama was disqualified and his prize money was suspended. Akiyama himself was suspended indefinitely from HERO'S competition six days later.[8] Public outcry against Akiyama did not cease however, and Nike was swamped with complaints when Akiyama was featured on a television commercial in Japan.[9] Though Akiyama has admitted to applying cream to his skin, he has said that the purpose was not to gain an unfair advantage but to treat his dry skin. The fight was ruled a "No Contest".

Wtf, it took me 3 minutes to copy and paste a quote from wiki.

Bunch BJ fanboys all on this page.

How about someone post that Gif of Anderson
Before fighting Maia? Oh because he didn't beat the shit out of BJ's fat no cardio ass.

ShaneB

You're finally seeing the light. Single event scoring is how it should be. This overall scoring nonsense is well.. nonsense.

Top Bottom