• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
And I thought I was the only one who took issue with 6' tall featherweights.

If I wanted to see something like that, I'd watch my local high school kids pick on the elementary schoolers.

You don't even need to be 6'. I remember seeing Miguel Torres's UFC debut. It looked like he had a 20 inch reach advantage over his opponent.

Wait, Nate is fighting Miller? FUCKING GO NATE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_on_Fox:_Diaz_vs._Miller

Dwayne

(incredibly long time lurker first time mma thread poster!)

wtf @ centerbet's odds for ufc 145
1. EVANS, Rashad 5.00
2. JONES, Jon 1.16

Rashad believe!

ShaneB

I wish more fighters would fight at their walk around weight. Shouldn't have any excuses for cardio problems then. Or much fewer excuses.

I would love for this as well, and I wish it was more enforced. I can't imagine Dana is happy when fighters cut massive amounts of weight and are gassed because of poor cardio. It would also give some balance to weight classes, instead of it just being the meta game of seeing who can cut the most weight before the weigh ins.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I would love for this as well, and I wish it was more enforced. I can't imagine Dana is happy when fighters cut massive amounts of weight and are gassed because of poor cardio. It would also give some balance to weight classes, instead of it just being the meta game of seeing who can cut the most weight before the weigh ins.

I have no qualms about dudes who weigh 200-210lbs taking a huge dump and drying themselves out to fight at 185lbs. However when the same dudes signal their intention to fight Jose Aldo is where I draw the line. Especially when you hear that 5 hours pre-weigh-in they've locked themselves into a sauna where they're doing burpees in a spacesuit before needing to be IV-dripped back into coherency.

Yup, weight cutting makes for non-competitive divisions when one guy dominates because he is just fucking huge compared to everyone else after he rehydrates

SteveWD40

It pisses everyone off, especially when they inevitably fuck up and miss weight by a mile (AJ).

AJ was 220 when he walked in the cage at WW I heard, most WW would be about 185. I think some guys can get away with it pre 25 but when the metabolism kicks in...

TheNatural

My Member!
UFC 144 did 375K buys or so, according to Meltzer.

Pretty good numbers, not spectacular, but pretty solid. 100K more than both of Frankie's fights against Lay Praynard.

nick nacc

Banned
First time post in the main UFC thread! I realizes posting mid 143 is great way to enjoy the fights even more (sometimes I steal the funny shit said he) I have no shame. So yeah I feel like the gap from 144 to 145 is way too damn long what am I supposed to do with myself.

Before jones destroys rashad

Chamber

love on your sleeve
First time post in the main UFC thread! I realizes posting mid 143 is great way to enjoy the fights even more (sometimes I steal the funny shit said he) I have no shame. So yeah I feel like the gap from 144 to 145 is way too damn long what am I supposed to do with myself.

Before jones destroys rashad

Heel can hook you up with some bad mma.

Heel

FRIDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Extreme Fighting Championships Africa 12

Prelims start at 9:30 AM PT / 12:30 PM ET, free on EFCAfrica.com
Main card starts at 1:00 PM PT / 4:00 PM ET on EFCAfrica.com

UFC on FX 2: Alves vs. Kampmann

Prelims start at 3:00 PM PT / 6:00 PM ET on FUEL TV
Main card starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on FX

Titan Fighting Championship 21

Starts at on 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on HDNet

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey featuring Heel's Bad MMA Fight of the Week: Scott Smith vs. Lumumba Sayers

Prelims start at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on Showtime Extreme (Note: 3 hour tape-delay on Showtime's west coast channel.)
Main card starts 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET at on Showtime (Note: 3 hour tape-delay on Showtime's west coast channel.)

MEZ Sports: Pandemonium 6

Starts at 7:30 PM PT / 10:30 PM ET, free on Sherdog.com

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Sam Alvey vs. Brandon Ropati (Saturday, Industry of Combat New Zealand 16)
Roxanne "That Girl Who Lost to Sarah Kaufman" Modafferi vs. Takayo "That Girl Who Lost to Sarah Kaufman" Hashi (Saturday, Jewels: 18th Ring)

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Heel can hook you up with some bad mma.
Yeah there's like 4 straight Bellator cards in the meantime and Sean McCorkle is on one of them. It's March Badness!

Also, when are the weigh-ins for tomorrow's FX card? The mma sites I frequent are doing a woeful job, they haven't mentioned it today. I mean, it's not like Thiago Alves making weight is a guarantee and he's headlining...

UFC and Titan on a Friday evening is enough to make me switch my gym schedule around. I'll probably still miss most of the UFC though.

Big night for WMMA on Saturday. I might check out Jewels.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
it's called lowered expectations.

They do less per show but they are doing like triple the shows from a couple of years ago when their buys were way higher. I haven't done the math but I wouldn't be surprised if they are getting more total buys per year.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Just saw Anderson Silva's doc. Mainly about Silva's side of the fight with Sonnen.

Pretty good watch for UFC fans and Silva fans, kinda humanizes Silva. He's not quite the trickster character some would believe. First time I see a fighter pray to God so he can come back in one piece for his family. Usually they just ask for the strength and power to win.

yacobod

Banned
They do less per show but they are doing like triple the shows from a couple of years ago when their buys were way higher. I haven't done the math but I wouldn't be surprised if they are getting more total buys per year.

ya i think that's the case. volume over quality. i'd prefer 10-12 stacked cards a year ala UFC 144 versus the 16 we've been getting the past 2 years.

Heel

ya i think that's the case. volume over quality. i'd prefer 10-12 stacked cards a year ala UFC 144 versus the 16 we've been getting the past 2 years.

We went over this before, but I don't think getting more buys from less people is a good idea in the long term. They're narrowing their audience by relying on hardcore fans that will buy anything, instead of making stacked cards that will draw the attention of casual fans and help grow the audience.

But hell, who am I to tell Zuffa how to do business? They seem to know what they're doing, haha.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

The WWE business model.

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's a good model because you can reach more cities around the world, which means more market, more opportunities to be seen and that might mean of course bigger awareness towards the brand and UFC which means more merchandising sales Internationally and also very importantly, it gives more chances for local fighters.

It's good. The whole Fuel thing though, kind of a step backward.

Dysun

Well Chuck, Randy, Brock, and to a lesser extent GSP are done so they are definitely lacking the casual fan interest. They need to build up Jon Jones big time if they want to crack 750+ again on a regular basis

WrikaWrek

Banned
The problem is that the best fighters aren't North American. By trying to go global, the UFC faces these kind of problems.

It's hard to sell dudes who can't speak english for shit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Do those PPV numbers that leak out encompass global buy rates or just NA?

According to Dana lately Brazil has become their biggest market and might be netting them huge numbers that we never see.

Heel

Why is Akiyama still employed?

4.gif
6.gif
7.gif

I think Akiyama could be really impressive against some lesser competition. The "he's 36, time to sink or swim" thing didn't pan out. They should let him ragdoll some cans before he gets cut or retires.

ShaneB

Well Chuck, Randy, Brock, and to a lesser extent GSP are done so they are definitely lacking the casual fan interest. They need to build up Jon Jones big time if they want to crack 750+ again on a regular basis

We discussed this briefly ago, building up Bones big time is the wrong attitude to have. What if he loses. Then the casual fan wonders what the fuck all the hype was about and loses interest anyway.

They need to build fights, not fighters. I don't care about this 'Unstoppable Force vs Immoveable Object" crap.

Do those PPV numbers that leak out encompass global buy rates or just NA?

According to Dana lately Brazil has become their biggest market and might be netting them huge numbers that we never see.
The UFC is only in the PPV business in the US. In Brazil their events are free on network TV, in the UK they're on a subscription channel (ESPN, similar business model to Showtime and HBO in the US) and in Japan they are also on a subscription channel with only 2.5 million subscribers.

zatara

We discussed this briefly ago, building up Bones big time is the wrong attitude to have. What if he loses. Then the casual fan wonders what the fuck all the hype was about and loses interest anyway.

They need to build fights, not fighters. I don't care about this 'Unstoppable Force vs Immoveable Object" crap.

iTQ43z3Mmnd9h.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think Akiyama could be really impressive against some lesser competition. The "he's 36, time to sink or swim" thing didn't pan out. They should let him ragdoll some cans before he gets cut or retires.

He lost a kickboxing match with Jake Shields. It's over, baby.

FYI weigh-ins for UFC on FX will stream live today from UFC.tv and presumably the UFC's YouTube page at 7pm Pacific / 10pm Eastern
o hai TheNatural amidoingitrite

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Akiyama is the can.
STEaE.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
So what the hell happened to sherdog pool? Are we still doing picks?

Apparently they only do it in two month spans. I noticed this when I get e-mailed allerts, it always says "January February picks" now it says "March April."

Really dumb to do it like this, at least not even keeping a history going. I was going to send off a couple of DVD's to #1, don't know what I'm going to do now. Heel told me he didn't want them anyway. :p

Top Bottom