• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I can see Overeem being the next global star if he beats JDS.

The funny thing about this would be that very little of it came from UFC's marketing. Overeem has done an exceptional job building himself up, especially considering his pre-UFC record that guys like yaco have surprisingly been quiet about since he smashed Brock.

Also, Bendo is making a splash in Korea. Wouldn't be surprised if they put on a show there eventually. Bendo, Stun Gun, Korean Zombie, Akiyama etc.

As soon as Bendo won I could see him becoming big in Korea. It's as predictable as a train schedule.

We discussed this briefly ago, building up Bones big time is the wrong attitude to have. What if he loses. Then the casual fan wonders what the fuck all the hype was about and loses interest anyway.

They need to build fights, not fighters. I don't care about this 'Unstoppable Force vs Immoveable Object" crap.

That's just another challenge for marketing. If someone's hype train gets derailed, then when they bounce back you hype up the "revenge" , "comeback" or otherwise angle. Anyone and everything is marketable.

To me the biggest challenge that the UFC have in building fighters is that all their efforts in the world won't do shit. Fighters need to build themselves. All the UFC can do is push people and put their faces on the cover of magazines. If the fighters only want to fight and not be celebrities then there's nothing the UFC can do really.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
We should do picks for the weigh-ins. Will Thiago Alves make weight?

-Yes
-He'll miss by .5-1.5 lbs
-He'll miss by 2-4 lbs
-He'll go Anthony Johnson/Paul Daley on us.

bone_and_sinew

6'1" featherweight Cole Miller acting like he the shit.

Why didn't he ever fight Cowboy anyway? Cowboy would've beaten him down.

edit: Wow, Aaron Rosa is a 205er now?! It seems like just yesterday he was 260 lb fatty fighting Joey Beltran.

After seeing Alves at the weigh ins, I'm now picking Alves to win by TKO. Looks like he had a great weight cut and even was able to do an interview after weighing in.

And yeah Rosa made his 205lb debut on the UFC on Fox 1 undercard.

Dysun

By the time he returns he will have fought once in two years, be 31 coming off knee reconstruction. That should concern the higher ups in Zuffa not to mention his style of fighting has continually degraded into a boring style over the years. I'm sure his initial fight back will be huge though

Cole Miller at 145 looked like Christian Bale in The Machinist.

Oh yeah and GSP loses his next fight, I don't care if it's Conduit, EllenBurger or Diaz. Too much inactivity is gonna destroy him.

dream

Hey, I might not be able to watch the ultimate tomorrow and I thought, since we're all good friends here, it would be a nice gesture if you don't talk about it at all because I am powerless to not read this thread.

Hey, I might not be able to watch the ultimate tomorrow and I thought, since we're all good friends here, it would be a nice gesture if you don't talk about it at all because I am powerless to not read this thread.

You don't have to worry about me because I won't watch it.

lol wut

Shall we actually create an OT for a FX event to cater specifically to yacobod's good friend and exclusively discuss the developments inside of it? And why won't you be watching, Captain?

All in favor?

Heel

Oh man, next weekend is what Bad MMA dreams are made of. I cannot wait.

Friday - Bad MMA Civil War: Bellator vs. Tachi Palace Fights
Saturday - We count our dead and mourn the fallen.
Sunday - Bad MMA Peace Treaty: Super Fight League 1 featurinig Bob Sapp vs. James Thompson and Bad MMA first ballot hall of famer Jimmy Ambriz

iSeCQcDJ9Z4t3.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, next weekend is what Bad MMA dreams are made of. I cannot wait.

Friday - Bad MMA Civil War: Bellator vs. Tachi Palace Fights
Saturday - We count our dead and mourn the fallen.
Sunday - Bad MMA Peace Treaty: Super Fight League 1 featurinig Bob Sapp vs. James Thompson and Bad MMA first ballot hall of famer Jimmy Ambriz

iSeCQcDJ9Z4t3.jpg

I can't wait for another highlight like this.

2887dsm.gif

bone_and_sinew

You know how Shogun-Hendo was the PRIDE match between legends that never happened but should've and we finally got it?

Well Sapp-Thompson is the PRIDE freakshow fight that never happened but should've, and now we get it!

It'll be the best 45 seconds of our lives before Sapp taps to strikes.

SteveWD40

If the fighters only want to fight and not be celebrities then there's nothing the UFC can do really.

Pretty much this, look at how Chael has mastered the art of self promotion, he was considered a relative journeyman (WEC champ didn't mean so much) who would lose to anyone with a blue belt but now he is the number 2 guy at MW. His fight with Silva sealed that deal but he talked his way into it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
which fight was this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhXOS7gBlFU

Pretty much this, look at how Chael has mastered the art of self promotion, he was considered a relative journeyman (WEC champ didn't mean so much) who would lose to anyone with a blue belt but now he is the number 2 guy at MW. His fight with Silva sealed that deal but he talked his way into it.

Sonnen is playing the game in a commendable way. When you're 34 like he is, your next fight could easily be your last. Relentlessly pushing his hype of how he was the "man who exposed Anderson Silva" (it helps that he genuinely dominated Silva for 4 rounds) is going to get him the biggest payday of his career.

It also has the two-fold effect of helping to define Anderson's legacy and "persona" as well. Every Sherlock Holmes needs a Moriarty.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So is there going to be any discussion tonight in this thread? For dream we could either use spoiler tags or just stick to a chat tonight.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I already asked about the Sanchez fight so I thought I'd ask about his other one. Was Kampmann also robbed against Shields? He'd be on a nice streak if decisions would go his way.

dream

My request was actually a total joke. I would never ask that of anyone. But I am touched you considered it. It is truly a testament to how we are all good friends.

Heel

I already asked about the Sanchez fight so I thought I'd ask about his other one. Was Kampmann also robbed against Shields? He'd be on a nice streak if decisions would go his way.

I'd say Shields/Kampmann was a close fight, but nothing close to a robbery. He did a good job defending takedowns and Shields gassed. Kampmann was still on the defense for most of the fight, though. At least that's how I remember it going down.

Sanchez/Kampmann was a straight up robbery to me.

ShaneB

Almost missed my sherdog picks, time says due in 0h/0mins so I assume it's the end of this hour. I basically boosted all the undercard fights, so lets see how that goes.

ShaneB

Should be a great night of fights regardless, I really like the card. I might just skip it though since it's a gym night tonight, maybe I'll catch up tomorrow.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just went with the odds and boosted the most favorable. Cuz that worked out really well last weekend.

I choose based on their record. I went with a few underdogs since the percentages have screwed me over before. Before the flyweights, has the UFC ever had a sudden death round in case of a draw?

Ya, I'm looking forward to the flyweights. Love seeing little guys fight. So these tourney fights are all 5 rounds?

I choose based on their record. I went with a few underdogs since the percentages have screwed me over before.
I picked by odds last week and lost 5 of 6 boosts. Last week's ppv was crazy. Usually I do what you do but I didn't have time.

Heel

This card was really tough to pick boosts for, at least for me. I don't like to boost underdogs and picked more than usual. That left me boosting guys I have no confidence in, haha.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
All my picks and boosts are random as fuck. I actually picked a lot of finishes this time which I rarely do.

Whatever, sherdog!

just got my FX picks in in the nick of time.

alves by ko - boost
benavidez by decision - boost
mccall by sub
mcgee by decision - boost
rosa by decision (i'm not impressed by te huna)
perosh by sub
miller by sub - boost
noke by sub
hecht by decision
pineda by decision
jordan by ko

and yeah parrot: I never pick based on odds.

Heel

kampmann dec
benavidez dec
mccall dec
philippou ko
te-huna ko (not sold on this either. why is he one of the biggest favorites? my last boost)
perosh sub
miller sub
noke dec
hecht ko
semerzier dec
jordan ko

Top Bottom