• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

I agree. Fedor would definitely get tooled by Tito Ortiz.

ibtVgydwfKnm9G.gif

Heel

Why would I stealth edit that? :p

MMA Hour starting soon, Japanese translator and Frankie Edgar the main guests.

Hahaha, I like how the translator is getting higher billing than the Bad MMA guests. Hope the UFC invites her back. She was quick with it!

rvy

Banned
And he was supposed to fight them both.

Barnett/Fedor was supposed to happen in Affliction, but Josh testing positive for dem roids kind of killed that.

IIRC, Fedor was supposed to fight Couture back in 08/09, but it never happened.

I tell ya, Fedor haters are the worst type of MMA "fans".

It simply boggles the mind that somebody could dislike Fedor, let alone attempting to shit on his legacy, and spouting the nonsense that he's never fought top fighters.

It's called revisionist history. Fedor haters love to do it. I love how they come out and say that either Fedor never fought any top talent, or that the HW sucked back in his day and that's why he dominated it.

AiTM

Banned
Yea Pride Fedor was awesome. But the sport has evolved seems like 20 years in the last 7 years. And he refused to evolve with it at all. Look at other same era fighters who kept up. Anderson Silva...Henderson...etc. I think it discredits him some that he didnt care enough to want to stay the best. He just listened to his Yes Men and took the easy route.

Heel

It's called revisionist history. Fedor haters love to do it. I love how they come out and say that either Fedor never fought any top talent, or that the HW sucked back in his day and that's why he dominated it.

Please refer to the first 5 or so pages of this thread for a thorough Fedor discussion. Relive the magic!

PS - Mark Hunt? The overweight slob with a career 6-7 record??? Hahahahaha.

Yeah Fedor defense force knows no bounds.

All this proves is MMA rankings have always been bullshit.

I know that sounds like a copout but, come on, when you talk about how Mark Hunt was a ranked opponent for Fedor...

Mark Hunt has a fucking losing record and the guy was putting that as a top 10 win, WTF?

iDut2cHyI99Ag.gif

rvy

Banned
Please refer to the first 5 or so pages of this thread for a thorough Fedor discussion. Relive the magic!

Fuck that, I'm tired of Fedor discussions. We all know he never amounted to anything in the sport and spent all his time ducking competition, lol. Mark Hunt, Mark Hunt, Mark Hunt. Clearly Fedor got his ass beat by Big Nog, Coleman and Crocop. Multiple times even.

Just like Anderson. I mean, cmon, the only top guy he's really beat is Sonnen and that was just barely. Okami was supposedly top 5 but he just got tooled by Boetsch so obviously that was incorrect. Franklin was probably his biggest win before that, and what has Franklin done since then? He couldn't even beat an unmotivated Forrest. Belfort looks like a decent win until you look at his record and see his wins are full of cans too.

Basically everyone sucks.

yacobod

Banned
Yea Pride Fedor was awesome. But the sport has evolved seems like 20 years in the last 7 years. And he refused to evolve with it at all. Look at other same era fighters who kept up. Anderson Silva...Henderson...etc. I think it discredits him some that he didnt care enough to want to stay the best. He just listened to his Yes Men and took the easy route.

Anderson Silva didn't become what he is now in Pride. He wasn't a star there. He was a nobody. His record was 3-2 in Pride. His legend started in Cage Rage then in the UFC.

Your argument is kind of flawed. Which dominant star from 2004-2007 is still competing and winning at the highest level of mixed martial arts?

I hate when guys who weren't following the sport back then try playing the historian.

agrajag

Banned
Anderson Silva didn't become what he is now in Pride. He wasn't a star there. He was a nobody. His record was 3-2 in Pride. His legend started in Cage Rage then in the UFC.

Your argument is kind of flawed. Which dominant star from 2004-2007 is still competing and winning at the highest level of mixed martial arts?

I hate when guys who weren't following the sport back then try playing the historian.

One could make a case for Hendo. Up until recently Shogun.

TheNatural

My Member!

iDut2cHyI99Ag.gif

Meme = reality. Mind blown.

I love Mark Hunt's run but yeah, it's funny if you want to retroactively go back and say that was an awesome win for Fedor. But I guess if you want to do that, maybe we could go back to top 3 Tim Sylvia and Andre Arlovski as well. Or what Cro Cop and Big Nog have done in UFC.

Hey if you want to credit Mark Hunt as being Fedor's best win, based on what he's done in UFC, I'll take it. As long as you can admit Sylvia, Arlovski, Big Nog, and Cro Cop were all paper tigers. Soo .. .which is it?

Heel

Funny enough, Hunt is possibly 1-2 wins away from being ranked -back- in the Top 10, entirely from his UFC run.

More like 1-2 wins away from a title shot, brah.

Just like Anderson. I mean, cmon, the only top guy he's really beat is Sonnen and that was just barely. Okami was supposedly top 5 but he just got tooled by Boetsch so obviously that was incorrect. Franklin was probably his biggest win before that, and what has Franklin done since then? He couldn't even beat an unmotivated Forrest. Belfort looks like a decent win until you look at his record and see his wins are full of cans too.

The power of the MMA rear-view mirror. When Anderson eventually loses I'm sure young bucks will look back and question his lineage too.

"Patrick Cote was a top 10 opponent?"

TheNatural

My Member!
More like 1-2 wins away from a title shot, brah.

The power of the MMA rear-view mirror. When Anderson eventually loses I'm sure young bucks will look back and question his lineage too.

"Patrick Cote was a top 10 opponent?"

If Silva goes on to lose to Frank Shamrock anytime soon, then yeah, lets bring it on. Silva hasn't gotten KO'ed by someone 6 or 7 years older than him that fought in the same timeframe though.

Heel

Big Nog came over post-PRIDE and won the (interim) UFC gold. He also beat Couture, one of the question marks from Fedor's prime.

If anything, Big Nog solidified Fedor's legacy just as the great Mark Hunto has.

I can't believe we're doing this again lol

TheNatural

My Member!
Big Nog came over post-PRIDE and won the (interim) UFC gold. He also beat Couture, one of the question marks from Fedor's prime.

If anything, Big Nog solidified Fedor's legacy just as the great Mark Hunto has.

I can't believe we're doing this again lol

You brought it up with your Fedor fetish mang.

At least I can get one good troll out of this. UFC's agreement with Topps made a Strikeforce set of card, and in fact, Fedor is on one of them:

2agufyt_original_original_original.jpg

LOL. I'm going to get this on eBay.

tass0

Banned

Apparently so.

Using the same logic TheNatural used to discredit Fedor's wins, you could easily use the same logic to make Anderson's entire UFC run look like a joke.

*insert opponent here* started to lose after he fought *insert fighter here*, therefore, he sucks and was -never- good herp derp

Balehead

Uncle Dana and Lorenzo scored it for Frankie too. Given their apparent love of rematches, I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Guaranteed it would happen if Frankie was a bit more popular fighter, there's just not enough fanbase for him to make it happen. Now there's a smallish group of people calling it a BS decision, and as Ariel just said Frankie's not the type to rage about it in the public. The Pettis rematch is still more interesting to the majority, and I'd agree personally with that.

Heel

Ever think Uncle Dana scored it for Frankie because he was crazy enough to have him ranked #3 P4P? He has motivation to keep the Rocky story alive.

TheNatural

My Member!
Apparently so.

Using the same logic TheNatural used to discredit Fedor's wins, you could easily use the same logic to make Anderson's entire UFC run look like a joke.

*insert opponent here* started to lose after he fought *insert fighter here*, therefore, he sucks and was -never- good herp derp

All you have to go to is last year with a 3 fight losing streak to guys UFC didn't want, to show it, including a guy who fought in the same organization he did at a lower weight and 7 years older.

It's not the same logic because you have to go back 7-8 years to even find the last time Silva lost. Oh and he's older than Fedor as well. How are you going to be an apologist for a guy who went 1-3 in fucking Strikeforce who isn't even that old comparatively to guys like Henderson (HBOMB 4 Fedor) and Silva?

Heel

All you have to go to is last year with a 3 fight losing streak to guys UFC didn't want, to show it, including a guy who fought in the same organization he did at a lower weight and 7 years older.

It's not the same logic because you have to go back 7-8 years to even find the last time Silva lost. Oh and he's older than Fedor as well. How are you going to be an apologist for a guy who went 1-3 in fucking Strikeforce who isn't even that old comparatively to guys like Henderson (HBOMB 4 Fedor) and Silva?

BJ Penn is 33. He's lost 8 times. Are you denying his greatness too? Think about that.

TheNatural

My Member!
The Diaz/Condit discussions just make me laugh. This one doesn't and my feelings towards my good friend TheNatural have come a long way since page 1.

If we're going into ancient history why stop at Fedor?

Steve Jennum. Best UFC Tourney champ ever. Fact. Won UFC 3 with Shamrock and Gracie in it, and only pulled out of UFC because of injury before he would have tooled Severn. Fact.

tass0

Banned

1) "3 fight losing streak to guys UFC didn't want" -- Yeah, because Werdum, and Bigfoot aren't in the UFC, and Hendo isn't fighting for the title.

2) "It's not the same logic because you have to go back 7-8 years to even find the last time Silva lost." -- Yes, and those losses are to lower-tier opponents in the same organization Fedor dominated in.

3) "How are you going to be an apologist for a guy who went 1-3 in fucking Strikeforce who isn't even that old comparatively to guys like Henderson (HBOMB 4 Fedor) and Silva?" -- You seem to have trouble grasping the idea of certain people peaking at different periods of their life

When Anderson Silva loses, we're just going to suddenly pretend as if he was never great? Please.

The facts are facts. Fedor has beaten 4 former UFC champions, he's beaten ten Top 10 opponents, he was the HW champion and GP winner of the largest MMA organization of his time (by far), and he's considered the greatest HW of all time by not only the vast majority of MMA fans, but many notable fighters (including your personal GOAT, Cain Velasquez).

You can try to discredit a legend all you want, but it's only making you look silly.

Heel

Don't bring a can to a gunfight brah.

My point is every all time great in the sport has lost during their prime, lost at the end of their career, lost in their 20's, lost in their 30's, etc. Why is Fedor held to a different standard? If your argument is that Fedor is in fact a mortal being you may be on to something here.

TheNatural

My Member!
1) "3 fight losing streak to guys UFC didn't want" -- Yeah, because Werdum, and Bigfoot aren't in the UFC, and Hendo isn't fighting for the title.

2) "It's not the same logic because you have to go back 7-8 years to even find the last time Silva lost." -- Yes, and those losses are to lower-tier opponents in the same organization Fedor dominated in.

3) "How are you going to be an apologist for a guy who went 1-3 in fucking Strikeforce who isn't even that old comparatively to guys like Henderson (HBOMB 4 Fedor) and Silva?" -- You seem to have trouble grasping the idea of certain people peaking at different periods of their life

When Anderson Silva loses, we're just going to suddenly pretend as if he was never great? Please.

The facts are facts. Fedor has beaten 4 former UFC champions, he's beaten ten Top 10 opponents, he was the HW champion and GP winner of the largest MMA organization of his time (by far), and he's considered the greatest HW of all time by not only the vast majority of MMA fans, but many notable fighters (including your personal GOAT, Cain Velasquez).

You can try to discredit a legend all you want, but it's only making you look silly.

Keep living in the past and making excuses brah. Anderson subbed a younger Hendo at practicaly the same age got KTFO by a lighterweight Hendo. And for the record, I said the JDS-Cain winner will have proven more. JDS KO'ed Werdum, Fedor got subbed by him. Fin.

TheNatural

My Member!
My point is every all time great in the sport has lost during their prime, lost at the end of their career, lost in their 20's, lost in their 30's, etc. Why is Fedor held to a different standard? If you're argument is that Fedor is in fact a mortal being you may be on to something here.

Because he lost to someone 7 years older than him at a lighter weight?

If a prime Tyson lost to an in his 40's Foreman, yeah I would have thought that was a mark on him. You can't claim age when you get KTFO by someone at a lower weight 7 years older man.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If we're going into ancient history why stop at Fedor?

Steve Jennum. Best UFC Tourney champ ever. Fact. Won UFC 3 with Shamrock and Gracie in it, and only pulled out of UFC because of injury before he would have tooled Severn. Fact.

I love you too much to engage you in this discussion, friend.

tass0

Banned
At this point, it's fair to say that TheNatural is purposely trolling because he loves the seeing the backlash, because there's no way he believes the shit he's saying.

Top Bottom