• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

The Diaz/Condit discussions just make me laugh. This one doesn't and my feelings towards my good friend TheNatural have come a long way since page 1.

Hahaha yeah, we've come a long way since page one. I see some things never change, though...lol

TheNatural

My Member!
At this point, it's fair to say that TheNatural is purposely trolling because he loves the seeing the backlash, because there's no way he believes the shit he's saying.

You're the one arguing about a fighter who hasn't been relevant for close to 7 years, and I'm the one trolling.

m-night-shyamalan(2).jpg

AiTM

Banned
Anderson Silva didn't become what he is now in Pride. He wasn't a star there. He was a nobody. His record was 3-2 in Pride. His legend started in Cage Rage then in the UFC.

Your argument is kind of flawed. Which dominant star from 2004-2007 is still competing and winning at the highest level of mixed martial arts?

I hate when guys who weren't following the sport back then try playing the historian.

Anderson is older than Fedor, and he has evolved since then. Fedor hasn't. Nothing weak about that. Rampage, Henderson, Overeem, Shogun, Even Nick Diaz are all much better fighters than the were 5 years ago.

Say the same for Fedor...name just one aspect hes improved on.

TheNatural

My Member!
Anderson is older than Fedor, and he has evolved since then. Fedor hasn't. Nothing weak about that. Rampage, Henderson, Overeem, Shogun, Even Nick Diaz are all much better fighters than the were 5 years ago.

His beer belly.

Because he lost to someone 7 years older than him at a lighter weight?

If a prime Tyson lost to an in his 40's Foreman, yeah I would have thought that was a mark on him. You can't claim age when you get KTFO by someone at a lower weight 7 years older man.
this particular fighter who is 7 years older happens to have the testosterone level of someone much younger though. and it wasn't obtained naturally.

TheNatural

My Member!
this particular fighter who is 7 years older happens to have the testosterone level of someone much younger though. and it wasn't obtained naturally.

Maybe a courier just left his piss on his desk for five hours and didn't send it right away.

Does baseball smack work here? I'll try it anyway. Yeah.

yacobod

Banned

Shogun wishes he was good as GP winning Shogun.

Rampage hasn't been the same fighter since parting ways with Juanito. He hasn't looked good since the Dan Henderson fight in 2007. If anything his skill shave devolved. He used to have wrestling, now he's a flat footed caveman boxer.

Fighters peaks how do they work?

fedor's a can, cain's a can, reem is a can

everybody's a can and whoever isn't is on roids, sometimes the guys on roids are even cans

can you can can, i know i can can, yes i can can

Heel

Rampage hasn't been the same fighter since parting ways with Juanito. He hasn't looked good since the Dan Henderson fight in 2007. If anything his skill shave devolved. He used to have wrestling, now he's a flat footed caveman boxer.

Seriously, 2005 Shogun is right up there with Jon Jones for the greatest year in MMA of all time.

fedor's a can, cain's a can, reem is a can

everybody's a can and whoever isn't is on roids, sometimes the guys on roids are even cans

can you can can, i know i can can, yes i can can

Allow me to predict the future of the fickle MMA fanbase... JDS vs. Overeem: Whoever loses was always overrated, whoever wins cannot be fucking stopped.

TheNatural

My Member!
Seriously, 2005 Shogun is right up there with Jon Jones for the greatest year in MMA of all time.

Allow me to predict the future of the fickle MMA fanbase... JDS vs. Overeem: Whoever loses was always overrated, whoever wins cannot be fucking stopped.

It's possible. If they then proceed to get subbed by a one dimensional submission fighter, GnP'ed to death by an ogre that then couldn't beat an amateur, and get KO'ed by a 40 year old lightheavyweight.

Then again, Dan Hardy and only one other fighter have those kind of streaks.

AiTM

Banned

So thats why you disagree? You think Fedor simply peaked? Its not that he surrounded himself with lackies and fought sub par competition, never flying anywhere around the world to train and learn?

The fact is some fighters continue to try to learn and better themselves, and some become complacent and simply wish to believe they are somehow gifted by God with the blessing of always being the baddest man on the planet. Which one would Fedor fall into?

The sport evolves, and the fighters who I consider to be the best are the ones who evolve with it, or even at least try to.

In 2006, Fedor was a better fighter than Henderson, and in 2012, its reversed. Theres a reason for that, and it aint Fedors ripe old age of 35, or Hendos age of 41.

yacobod

Banned
So are you disagreeing that fighter's don't peak?

Go look at the history of combat sports entertainment, a champion's decline is often sudden and steep.

AiTM

Banned
So are you disagreeing that fighter's don't peak?

Go look at the history of combat sports entertainment, a champion's decline is often sudden and steep.

Yea of course they do. But that isn't the reason why he went from being the goat to losing to a 40 year old middleweight. The sport evolved. And I feel like he never even tried to keep up with it. I haven't seen him in the past few years, which should have been his prime, try to fight the best of the best.

None of this diminishes his exciting style and crazy accomplishments. But lets not pretend like his dropoff wasn't partly, if not mostly, his own fault.

Edit: Just to troll a little harder, in 4 or 5 years when GSP is Fedors age, I bet you he will still be trying to fight the best of his weight class, and be a better (technical) fighter then than he is now.

It's possible. If they then proceed to get subbed by a one dimensional submission fighter, GnP'ed to death by an ogre that then couldn't beat an amateur, and get KO'ed by a 40 year old lightheavyweight.

Then again, Dan Hardy and only one other fighter have those kind of streaks.
bwaaahahaha now I've seen it all.

well played, you've outdone ninja scooter with this one.

edit: looks like he agrees

I really hate this "evolve" shit that people say. Like Shogun or Fedor need to "evolve". They both can destroy 90% of their respective divison. Fighters simply get old and get worn with mileage. If a fighter like Wanderlai woke up tomorrow and was 29/30 he would whoop almost as much ass in the MW/LHW as Anderson and Jones. "Evolve or passing by" my ass.

(From the AUS presser)

Dana sounds like he won't give Frankie the rematch and wants him to go down to 145. Also said that without a doubt if he did go down to 145 he would get an instant title shot.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
UFC @ufc
McCall says he thinks if you give yourself a nickname, you're a douche. Mighty Mouse, Joe B, Pitbull and Hitman appear unamused. #UFConFX

He's spot on.

Dysun

Hilarious that Diaz is the bad guy for smoking a plant that has grown naturally on this planet forever, but synthetic testosterone replacement is A-OK dont worry about it
Science > Nature

yacobod

Banned
TRT is such a joke. Can we just drop the veneer of this being a clean sport?

Every one of these knuckleheads are using steroids (legally or illegally).

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dana sounds like he won't give Frankie the rematch and wants him to go down to 145. Also said that without a doubt if he did go down to 145 he would get an instant title shot.

Within a year or so we'd be looking at Edgar vs. Aldo IV.

Which, for the record, probably would be the most entertaining set of fights in UFC history.

I wish more fighters would fight at their walk around weight. Shouldn't have any excuses for cardio problems then. Or much fewer excuses.

Top Bottom