• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Hopefully Super Fight League and M-1 Global will copromote so we can see the fight we all want to see: Fedor vs. Duffee in India.

Also that Sanjay dude is a pimp. And that Super Fight League song is going to be in my head for the rest of the week now looool

WE WILL ROCK AGAIN

SteveWD40

Thompsons double leg (the one that ended it) was just Thompson throwing himself onto Sapp, they both looked gassed by then...

That was SuperBadMMA.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
They were both around 310lbs.

I'd be surprised if any training or preparation went into this fight whatsoever.

DKehoe

On the most recent Wrestling Observer Radio Dave Meltzer was talking about when Bob Sapp fought Jan Nortje, a 6'9 330lbs kickboxer from South Africa. Nortje won and was ecstatic backstage because Sapp was making over $100,000 a year and so he thought he could now make that too since he beat Sapp. Sapp pointed out to him that had he lost he could have continued to make money since he was a big guy promoters could bring in to lose to their local guy, but since he won no one is going to bring him in since he has now shown he can actually beat some guys.

Heel

Gilbert Melendez says he WILL be fighting May 19th, but it's not against Josh Thomson

i90qXWOJf5RHp.gif

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Same reason Eddie Alvarez willing chooses to stay in Bellator. Get overpaid (since he'd make less in the UFC) and only fight a couple times a year, get on cable, and get your ranking inflated with not as challenging fights. Rumble could've easily taken Hector Lombard's spot (that is should Lombard leave).

Heel

I assume there's some kind of business relationship or connection between Titan FC and the Blackzilians. Fabio Mello, Jorge Santiago, Rumble Johnson...

ShaneB

why would anybody worth a shit get stuck in a bellator contract? it's better to string together a few fights in a random promotion and get back to Zuffa.

Same reason Eddie Alvarez willing chooses to stay in Bellator. Get overpaid (since he'd make less in the UFC) and only fight a couple times a year, get on cable, and get your ranking inflated with not as challenging fights. Rumble could've easily taken Hector Lombard's spot (that is should Lombard leave).

What he said.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
lombard's got the life. fight one sub-bellator "feature fighter" can and shlemenko each year and then spend the rest of the time laying out on the beach and roiding up

TheNatural

My Member!
Almost there guys:

The state of Wyoming has legalized the sport of mixed martial arts and notes that a commission to regulate fights will be created according to ufc.com.

Wyoming became the 45th state to legalize mixed martial arts. Governor Matt Mead signed House Bill 87 into law on March 8 to bring the sport to the Cowboy State.

"The bill, sponsored by Representative Bryan Pedersen, had been unanimously approved by both the state's Senate and House of Representatives. The bill outlines the creation of a state mixed martial arts board to oversee and regulate MMA matches," according to the UFC.

Although mixed martial arts wasn't illegal in Wyoming, the lack of a regulating body prevented MMA bouts within the state to be recognized in a fighter's record.

And then there were four.

New York, Connecticut, Vermont and Montana are the remaining athletic commissions that don't authorize mixed martial arts.

Most noticeably are the numerous attempts by the UFC in previous years to legalize MMA in the Empire State but to no avail. The UFC has even issued a law suit against New York State which challenged the constitutionality of its MMA ban.

And then there were 3 (technically):

However, relevant legislation is pending within the following states where it is currently illegal: Connecticut (except on Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun Indian Reservations[60]), New York, and Vermont. Alaska has no boxing or athletic commission, Montana has a state athletic commission although it doesn't regulate MMA, however MMA is legal in both states.

Or Cesar is talking bullshit again and Gil will fight Ryan Couture.
lol yeah i see this as the most likely scenario knowing strikeforce.

thomson needs more time to be ready, they go to the next best guy coming off a win.

either that or Keith Jardine goes down to lightweight.

edit: DAMN YOU HEEL

Heel

Or Cesar is talking bullshit again and Gil will fight Ryan Couture.

Nah brah, they need to match up Gil with a well-seasoned UFC veteran to legitimize his ranking and the title.

Drew Fickett and Jamie Varner are available. Can Jardine make 155?

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't like who Melendez is associated with, but I like the way he fights and think he's one of the tops in the division. Hopefully they can find someone better than a can to feed him, he really should have went to the UFC a while back. Better yet, Strikeforce itself should have just folded so we could have got the few fighters left to go fight in UFC, so pointless.

Norml

I hope he can win this.

Nick Diaz challenging suspension
According to Goodman, the substance Diaz tested positive for was THC-Carboxylic Acid, an inactive marijuana metabolite. NSAC executive director Keith Kizer was unavailable to comment on that claim Monday.

The response filed to the commission, therefore, challenges that Diaz merely tested positive for an inactive metabolite, which is not listed as a prohibited substance.
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7679348/nick-diaz-challenging-suspension-positive-test

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
On the most recent Wrestling Observer Radio Dave Meltzer was talking about when Bob Sapp fought Jan Nortje, a 6'9 330lbs kickboxer from South Africa. Nortje won and was ecstatic backstage because Sapp was making over $100,000 a year and so he thought he could now make that too since he beat Sapp. Sapp pointed out to him that had he lost he could have continued to make money since he was a big guy promoters could bring in to lose to their local guy, but since he won no one is going to bring him in since he has now shown he can actually beat some guys.

Er...

Nortje has a 2-6 MMA record. And a 8-15 kickboxing record.

And it's nice to see I have a potential career in Asia if I follow the Bob Sapp method.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Wow, Rampage really wants out:

Rampage on hdnet said:
"I've been upset with the UFC and the opponents they've been giving me. I think Joe Silva needs to be shot in the face. I'm sorry, but if you got a fighter like me who likes to go out and put on fights, why you giving me wrestlers who are gonna take me down and hump me? I'm sorry. But I'm a little tired of the UFC and their texts. After my fight with Jon Jones, they told my manager that I was losing my appeal, that rappers and stuff don't come out to watch me fight no more, that the fans don't really like me no more. And it was gettin' close to the time for me to renegotiate, and PRIDE did the same thing to me. For me, the respect is worth more than the money. I'll go fight for some other show for free. I'll prove to the fans that I'm not all about money. I'll go fight for some other show for five dollars. I think the UFC should have said 'thank you' to 'Rampage' and all that. I was my first time ever not making weight. You could tell something was wrong. In my whole career, I've always been respectful to everybody. I make weight. Why do I wanna give my opponent 20 percent of my purse? I wish I didn't have to fight. I wish I didn't have no more fights with them (UFC). I'm trying to get out of this one fight."

"I did use TRT, 'cuz my doctor prescribed it to me, because of my levels were low, and he said it would help me heal up my knee. I never backed off those statements, not once. I didn't even have to give that information. I chose to give it, because a lot of people out there are cheating with steroids and stuff, and some people are even abusing TRT, and I choose not to. I don't wanna be a cheater. I'm always up front with everybody. I always keep it real and any of my fans that know me know that I do that. I don't consider it cheating. If I have hair missing, I'm gonna use a hair transplant, if I want to. If I lose some of my teeth, I'm gonna put teeth back in my mouth. If I'm athlete and my doctor says, 'Well, your testosterone is low. You gonna be at a disadvantage with the other fighters,' then I'm gonna bring my levels of testosterone back up. Plus, it'll heal you, so I thought it was a no-brainer.... I think it's a good thing if fighters don't abuse it. It's easy to abuse. You can abuse any drug. I don't think marijuana is a drug. I think it's a herb. I think it's bad if you abuse it. Not that I smoke marijuana, because I haven't smoked it in years, but I'm not saying I wouldn't smoke it. You understand what I'm saying? If I do smoke it, I just wouldn't abuse it. People abuse drugs, which makes drugs bad. If you don't abuse them, then they can be good for you."

"I saw a big difference right away. It was very beneficial to me in my training. I felt like a 25-year old again. If my knee wasn't injured, you guys would have seen a new fighter. I'm hoping that my knee heals up, pretty soon. I keep doing exactly what the doctor asks me to do, and I'll add ten more years on to my fighting life."

"I don't wanna fight for the UFC no more. I think the fans don't understand. They think just because I make a lot of money, I should be happy 'cuz I got a nice house. But I only stated that I fight for money 'cuz it's my career. I think a lot of fans are sheep and they don't understand. The thing is, the UFC knew I was injured and they knew I still fought for them. I feel like if I didn't fight on that card (UFC 144), the appeal wouldn't have been as big. I'm not trying to toot my own horn or nothin' like that, but they only had me and Mark Hunt, that I know of, that fought in PRIDE before and Mark Hunt is a K-1 fighter. That's a different crowd. Like, some people still watch both, but still, that's a different crowd. So, I think if I would have pulled out, I don't think they would have done as well as they did.... The fans think that the UFC is the only show in town and everything, but I don't care about money. I make enough money. I got money saved up. I got money that I'm making in other places. If you think I made all my money in the UFC, you wrong. I didn't make all my money in the UFC. I got sponsors that help me out. And the UFC talkin' 'bout how they got a billion homes, they makin' all this money, but yet, I'm makin' less money than I used to make with the UFC. Why is the UFC getting bigger, which means I'm getting bigger, but I'm making less money? So, I just don't wanna be with them no more. I think that if anybody think that I can't make my own career choices, then you a bigot. I can do whatever the hell I wanna do. I'm a grown ass man. I don't wanna have to fight for somebody no more, if they not really appreciating me. I feel like I got a lot of fans, and they not tell me 'thank you' for putting my life on the line to fight, even when I'm injured. So, I'm done with them."

"It is hard on the body. The UFC, they know that. The UFC, they good. The one thing I liked about them is they're very upfront about things. When you get hurt, they send you to the doctors and they pay for everything. You only need to train for the fight. PRIDE wasn't like that. The UFC, they knew I was hurt. They knew I was hurt for the Rashad (Evans) fight, and they still talked crap about me. I did fight Rashad, but because I pulled out for the 'A-team' movie, I don't get no 'thank you' or nothin' like that. What I get is Rashad punching me in the knee. How Rashad know my knee was hurt?"

"When I fought Forrest (Griffin), I got two injuries, but I still fight. I haven't pulled out of a fight yet because of an injury. My last fight, I should've pulled out, but I didn't. And I didn't say anything, you know what I'm saying? I never say nothin'. I just don't get the respect that I should get. I pulled out of a fight for the movie, 'cuz I was a big fan of the movie. But, injuries, I still go and I fight. I've won injured before, and I've lost injured. I always think there's a puncher's chance I could win the fight. but, in my last fight, I had to cut 22 pounds, 'cuz the testosterone, I didn't know it would put that much weight on you. I didn't know. I did cut 22 pounds. I did make the fight. I was injured. I was barely walking, but I made the fight, and the thanks I get is Dana saying, 'Oh, he looks terrible,' and Dana knew I was hurt. So, after that I was like, 'I ain't puttin' my life on the line for these guys no more.' They know what was goin' on and they still try to make me look bad. They tryin' to make me lose my fan base. In my opinion, that's what they tryin' to do. 'Cuz they don't want me to be bigger than the UFC. The movie that I did was bigger than the UFC. I know what's goin' on, so I'm gonna let them have the UFC. I don't wanna be a part of the UFC no more. I'm not that happy in the UFC. I don't wanna be a part of the UFC no more. Just let me go. If they feel like I've lost my appeal, just let me go! I don't wanna keep fighting guys that are gonna lay there and hump my leg and the referee not gonna stand us up. Let me go."
Rampage vs Fedor in Japan, it needs to happen.

MjFrancis

So Melendez doesn't want to move up to the majors so he's bringing a fighter to the minors for a good matchup?

At least he'll be fighting someone who'll prove his meddle. He's got to be careful though, if he loses to a Pettis or a Penn his stock will drop more than Bader after the Ortiz debacle. That's probably why he's stayed in the minors for so long.

yacobod

Banned
I'm going to support the fence sitter sien916 on this one, WEC pro Anthony Showtime isn't going to finish Gil and would probably drop a decision to the Cesar Gracie BJJ standout. Gil has better hands and wrestling than Mr. Pettis, and I think if he wanted to he could duplicate Guida's gameplan against Pettis if they fought. Pettis hasn't looked particularly good in the UFC outside of his stoppage of Creepy Joe. He got wrestlefucked by Guida, and almost dropped a decision to Jeremey Stephens.

Pettis hasn't beaten anyone top 10 in the big show.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So Melendez doesn't want to move up to the majors so he's bringing a fighter to the minors for a good matchup?

What the heck are you talking about? Melendez has wanted to move to the UFC for ages..part of the showtime extension contract with Zuffa was they couldn't take the rest of talent..specifically Melendez away from the Strikeforce Roster.
Don't blame him for wanting a good opponent to come to strikeforce to fight..you should support his desire for some real competition and not just coast.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What the heck are you talking about? Melendez has wanted to move to the UFC for ages..part of the showtime extension contract with Zuffa was they couldn't take the rest of talent..specifically Melendez away from the Strikeforce Roster.
Don't blame him for wanting a good opponent to come to strikeforce to fight..you should support his desire for some real competition and not just coast.

Should have signed there when his contract was up like Shields did.

I hope Gil isn't thinking anyone from the UFC is coming DOWN to Strikeforce to fight for his meaningless title.

yacobod

Banned
I hope Gil isn't thinking anyone from the UFC is coming DOWN to Strikeforce to fight for his meaningless title.

UFC's 155# division is about to be on hold for a year while Frankie and Bendo fight their trilogy. So what else are they supposed to do?

Strikeforce is not long for the world.

I'm going to support the fence sitter sien916 on this one, WEC pro Anthony Showtime isn't going to finish Gil and would probably drop a decision to the Cesar Gracie BJJ standout. Gil has better hands and wrestling than Mr. Pettis, and I think if he wanted to he could duplicate Guida's gameplan against Pettis if they fought. Pettis hasn't looked particularly good in the UFC outside of his stoppage of Creepy Joe. He got wrestlefucked by Guida, and almost dropped a decision to Jeremey Stephens.

Pettis hasn't beaten anyone top 10 in the big show.

Not to mention he would have nothing for Bendo in the rematch. Bendo was winning the first fight till that bad ass showtime kick.

Top Bottom