• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dream

That's arguable. He obviously didn't know the extent of his downfall, and still feels like he can't really get a grasp of whats going on with his health. It's unfortunate that like a lot of boxers and fighters over the years, like Ali for example, that there was no one to really hold him back and tell him that it's enough.

I would say the majority of fighters really don't know when to quit, look at Shamrock out there continuing to fight, Evander Holyfield over the years. I feel bad there isn't enough checks and balances out there to keep these guys from fighting or they don't have someone in their ear good enough to force them to quit.

So yeah, I do feel bad, and even though its a mistake to continue fighting, all they're trying to do is earn a living and keep their career and life going the only way how.

But you're a pro wrestling fan and you understand that sports entertainers are addicted to being sports entertainers.

Ken Shamrock is a sad story. But he's fighting at his age because he is a broke degenerate who literally has no employable skills and might still be on the hook for however much he owes Uncle Dana (which, fwiw, I still think Dana should do the right thing and let it go). Dan Severn is a sad story because he travels around the country working fights with local joes and manages to get brutally KTFO'd in a shoot because he's determined to have the most fights ever or whatever the fuck. Sakuraba's a sad story because he believes that budo bullshit and is willing to die in the ring to entertain fans because he's a pro wrestler at heart.

But the one thing they all have in common is they willingly compete in a combat sport when they are either too old, too slow, or too shot to survive, much less actually win a shoot fight. That's on them, even if there should be a system in place to protect them.

I think it's far more appalling (and morally culpable, really) that promoters continue to book these guys.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dan Severn is a sad story because he travels around the country working fights with local joes and manages to get brutally KTFO'd in a shoot because he's determined to have the most fights ever or whatever the fuck.

According to Wikipedia Dan Severn has only lost 3 fights by KO out of 18 total losses. 2 of which were his last two fights and he's decided to retire now. I've no idea why he kept going so long, but I'm willing to roll with the idea of it being the Travis Fulton Factor of wanting to legally beat up high school kids.

But yeah. We're still in a weird pro-wrestling booking era of MMA where fighters are just commodities that end up with painkiller and steroid problems. I expect that when a bunch of current contenders turn up fucked up before they're 40 is when the mainstream media will be all over it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I guess Nick Diaz is not retiring despite his and his brothers assertions to the contrary.

I mean why bother trying to fight a suspension if you're never fighting again?

Norml

So I guess Nick Diaz is not retiring despite his and his brothers assertions to the contrary.

I mean why bother trying to fight a suspension if you're never fighting again?

They take part of his fight money I think. He wanted a rematch anyway so that always pointed that the retire was just emotional.It's still possible he retires if lose though,but my bet is he will be back.

Top 10 HW Marku Huntu vs Stefan Struve at 146. Struve better take Hunt down quick or he's gonna get dropped like a skeleton from a cut string.

DKehoe

Sakuraba's a sad story because he believes that budo bullshit and is willing to die in the ring to entertain fans because he's a pro wrestler at heart.

Also, didn't Takada pretty much take all of Sakuraba's earnings in Pride?

Top 10 HW Marku Huntu vs Stefan Struve at 146. Struve better take Hunt down quick or he's gonna get dropped like a skeleton from a cut string.

The entire main card for 146 is heavyweight fights.

yacobod

Banned
Sherdog's new meaningless p4p rankings:

1. Spider Silva
2. God-damn Sleeping Pill
3. JBJ (should be number 1)
4. Jose Aldo (should be number 2)
5. Hendo
6. Cruz
7. Bendo
8. The Answer Edgar
9. Gil
10. Natural Born Runner Carlos

yacobod

Banned
You really think Bones should be above Silva?
Also Aldo. Lost his case there.

ya. anderson and gsp have been inactive far too long to coast on their reputation. JBJ and Aldo have been actively fighting and defending their titles. p4p is a fluid thing. anderson comes back healthy this summer and routes Sonnen he reclaims number 1. no big deal, unless JBJ absolutely destroys Rashad, then we can talk.

yacobod

Banned
I'm going to be on mma-autopilot until the next Ultimate PPV, so what's this talk about Showtime Pettis dropping down to fight Jose Aldo? Is that for real? I hope so. A big win for Aldo against a legit 155# should give him all the reason in the world to finally move up to 155# and claim his belt.

Anderson and GSP had the opportunity to be the first 2 class champs in the UFC but never committed to it, maybe Aldo can take a stab at it.

I'm going to be on mma-autopilot until the next Ultimate PPV, so what's this talk about Showtime Pettis dropping down to fight Jose Aldo? Is that for real? I hope so. A big win for Aldo against a legit 155# should give him all the reason in the world to finally move up to 155# and claim his belt.
That's what Showtime said, yes. But even more exciting:

Jose Aldo said:
Having Edgar, a former lightweight champion, would be amazing for the featherweight division, but if he doesn’t come down [to 145 pounds], in the future, I’m going to have to move to lightweight… Edgar thinks he won against Henderson, so he really had to stay in his division and get the rematch. If he comes to featherweight, we’ll fight. Many people want to see it.

Dysun

Does anyone really care about Aldo vs Poirer/KZ? Why is that fight main eventing a FUEL card? Not that FUEL cards are anything special but Aldo should just fight Pettis or move to 155 already

Aldo vs Pettis sounds pretty damn good

Looks like we have to wait until June 1st to see the Uncle Creepy vs. Mighty Mouse rematch.. fucking bullshit, UFC 145 is a weak ass PPV with no good main event... they could have easily put that on 145.

Also, M-1Global.com is no more, lol, go to their website and all it says now is:
Helo igor. How are you ?support@m-1global.com
bwaaahahahahahhuahuahua I think Paul Christoforo runs that site because of the space before the question mark.

Heel

Does anyone really care about Aldo vs Poirer/KZ? Why is that fight main eventing a FUEL card?

UFC 145 is a weak ass PPV with no good main event... they could have easily put that on 145.

Are we on the same planet? Poirier/TKZ is better than shit like Sanchez/Ellenberger and Alves/Kampmann on paper. UFC 145 is a great card from prelims to main event. Aren't you flying to that poly?

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm pretty damn sure that Silva won't be able to keep that up. One day he eats one and blammo dude is waking up asking what happened.

You're pretty sure? Well gollee, I expect the human body to take these kind of hits into infinite. Surely when he's 80 he'll be able to keep going like this. :p

Heel

You're pretty sure? Well gollee, I expect the human body to take these kind of hits into infinite. Surely when he's 80 he'll be able to keep going like this. :p

Hahaha, this might be the best TheNatural quote of all time.

You'll be glad to know that Anderson said recently he wants to go another decade. Cutting his prime just a bit short, but you've gotta hang them up sometime... :)

Heel

I don't know, 10 more fights at his age is a lot.

Not to hate, but it's guaranteeing he won't go out on top. That's the fight business though, I guess.

EDIT: I just realized an Anderson Silva fights once a year joke just flew right over my head. Hahaha, damn I'm tired.

TheNatural said:
If he can get a trilogy with GSP in there, shouldn't be a problem.
75 minutes is a long time at his age.

Not to hate, but it's guaranteeing he won't go out on top. That's the fight business though, I guess.
Must be hard to give it up until you're forced to. Like the old alpha lion needing to be killed to give up his status.

EDIT: I just realized an Anderson Silva fights once a year joke just flew right over my head. Hahaha, damn I'm tired.
Well it wasn't a great joke. I hope the GSP fights all go to decision joke was easier to follow, albeit an even more tired joke.

EDIT:
Well you live in Hawaii with BJ so, I'll defer to your authority on tired jokes.
3 posts in 15 minutes is too much for me. Time for a nap.

TheNatural

My Member!
75 minutes is a long time at his age.

Must be hard to give it up until you're forced to. Like the old alpha lion needing to be killed to give up his status.

Well it wasn't a great joke. I hope the GSP fights all go to decision joke was easier to follow, albeit an even more tired joke.

Well you live in Hawaii with BJ so, I'll defer to your authority on tired jokes.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

If it makes it out the 1st round then Struve will win.

But regardless of that Struve's brain is definitely not going to remember his 24th birthday.

UFC 145 is a great card from prelims to main event. Aren't you flying to that poly?
I sure am.. I also stand by my opinion that 145 is a weak PPV card in the sense that it doesn't have many relevant fights on it. It'll most likely end up being fuckawesome in terms of entertainment value, but there is not one fight on there that they can really promote as a solid co-main event. Rory MacDonald is a great rising star who clowned the shit out of Nate Diaz and sent him back down to 155, but he's fighting Che Mills who will be in his 2nd UFC fight, the first being a win over Chris "Woo" Cope. Come on now.

Schaub and Rothwell are both irrelevant as fuck in the HW division, and while the fight could be entertaining, I see very high borefest potential with this matchup.

Hominick is a top FW who got caught with a lucky shot from the Zombie who wasn't known for his KO power prior to that fight, but he's fighting some dude named Eddie Yagin who has never fought in the UFC or WEC even once. Yagin's claim to fame is choking out some dude who almost beat some former champ in Bellator who is probably brain dead after last Friday. Squash match for the Hominator.

Bocek vs. Wiman should be a fun scrap I guess, but Wiman is always gonna be a meh mid carder and Bocek is a gatekeeper at best.

The non-main event fights that I'm most hyped for at 145 are mostly prelims that no one will give a fuck about. I can't wait to see Chad Griggs begin his heavyweight title run, also can't wait to see what Stephen Thompson does against a half decent guy whose nickname is "The Immortal" because the UFC will never cut him for some reason. I'm hyped to see Njokuani fight a striker for the first time since he fought Barboza I think, and of course I'll be rooting hard for Maximo Blanco in his UFC debut up until he gets inevitably LnP'd by shitty TUF reject Marcus Brimage.

As far as it goes top to bottom, it's shit other than the main event IMO. The Fuel card in Sweden is more stacked. Getting the Creepy/Mighty rematch would have helped.

dream

I agree with my good friend poly and I will even take it a step further and suggest that most Ultimates are weak PPV cards, lacking in relevant fights between compelling personalities.

yacobod

Banned
I agree with my good friend poly and I will even take it a step further and suggest that most Ultimates are weak PPV cards, lacking in relevant fights between compelling personalities.

friend, how do you propose Zuffa starts building compelling events, grooming fighters, and marketing stars within the confines of the outdated pay-per-view model?

Top Bottom