• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that CaptYamato really has seen my dick.

inmtY2Xp5ceh3.gif

What the heck are you talking about? Melendez has wanted to move to the UFC for ages..part of the showtime extension contract with Zuffa was they couldn't take the rest of talent..specifically Melendez away from the Strikeforce Roster.
Don't blame him for wanting a good opponent to come to strikeforce to fight..you should support his desire for some real competition and not just coast.

BS!

He resigned with them after his contract was up and the UFC/Strikeforce deal was already done. He could have gone to UFC but he chose not too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not to mention he would have nothing for Bendo in the rematch. Bendo was winning the first fight till that bad ass showtime kick.

It was a close, and actually mostly boring fight. The only really notable moment was that kick. Other than that it was a toss-up I think. Pettis had good TDD but I think Bendo's takedowns have improved. I'm fine with either fight though. Not a Frankie hater like most.

Heel

I had Bendo-Pettis at 2 rounds a piece and the last round could've gone either way until the showtime kick. I definitely down for a rematch.

As for Gil, he was used as a bargaining chip for the new Strikeforce deal. There's plenty of stories about it. I wish he was in the UFC, but I don't know how anyone could be against bringing in competition to make an interesting fight for him. Are we fight fans or not? Even a hater like Yamato should want a legitimate opponent to come through and try to prove how overrated he is.

Gil isn't the new Nick. He's the new Overeem. Haters will be silenced when he's given his chance to shine.

Gil isn't the new Nick. He's the new Overeem. Haters will be silenced when he's given his chance to shine.

Nah bro he is Jake Shields. Going to get his ass kicked by anyone in the top five and barely beat a a sucked up fighter that just dropped a fuck ton of weight.

DKehoe

Er...

Nortje has a 2-6 MMA record. And a 8-15 kickboxing record.

And it's nice to see I have a potential career in Asia if I follow the Bob Sapp method.

Yeh Nortje is bad but the point was that if he was even worse and could be relied on to lose he would actually do better financially. Bob Sapp's career is now go to small promotion (often in countries where MMA isn't particularly developed so having a great look still means a lot), look mean at the weigh in and interviews then lose to the promotions local guy.He knows whats up and does pretty well as a result, not sure just how long term that will be but its not like the UFC is going to come calling for him.

in the UFC. not in the bush league WEC. if we want to factor in the WEC, he lost to Bartimus ffs.
When Reem was crushing dudes in Strikeforce you dismissed every fight with "lol he's in Strikeforce." Let's hold the same standard for all fighters Yaco. I understand you love everyone from that camp ran by the most overrated member of the Gracie's family. But let's be real none of these guys will hold the Ultimate belt in their division.

yacobod

Banned
When Reem was crushing dudes in Strikeforce you dismissed every fight with "lol he's in Strikeforce." Let's hold the same standard for all fighters Yaco. I understand you love everyone from that camp ran by the most overrated member of the Gracie's family. But let's be real none of these guys will hold the Ultimate belt in their division.

Reem was never crushing cans in Strikeforce, unless we count Grim Rodgers. All his can crushing was in Japan. And I still stand behind that criticism. Beating up Goodridges and Gladiator Thompson's in Japan isn't noteworthy no matter how many TheReem youtube clips you jerk off too.

You are grasping at straws brah.

Next thing you'll tell me is that Carlos beat up Nick Diaz.

TheNatural

My Member!
As part of legal action against the web site www.greenfeedz.com, which streamed UFC 130 to 142 illegally and was threatened with legal action, Zuffa was able to obtain e-mail addresses, user names, and each individual event streamed as well as IP addresses of everyone who watched an event through that web site and will be legally going after the individual consumers for copyright violations.

So basically, if you were registered on that site and watched an event, the UFC now has your information and will be looking to take legal action against you.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/13/2868272/ufc-piracy-legal-zuffa-streaming

SMH.

yacobod

Banned
In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty true though. I hate that it's being used against me, but in 2012 if you ain't fighting in the UFC why bother. Strikeforce is garbage. Bellator is hot garbage. Whatever promotions are hosting fights in Japan are steaming hot garbage. M-1 global is crap. And don't get me started on the host of bad-mma orgs.

There's only 1 show in the game at this point. I don't give a fuck. Why do you think guys like Gil and Luke the Rock are calling out UFC fighters in Strikeforce since the Zuffa buyout? They know that's the only way for them to get a good fight. And since Zuffa owns them, they can make those fights happen. Either way I don't think Strikeforce is long for this world anyways. Just like Dana said he was going to try to make the WEC work, how long are they going to bankroll a failing promotion.

Heel

Let's settle this.

Everyone please for use in the new OT, in 100 words or less, "What is MMA?"

Bonus points for use of "NHB" and "human cockfighting"

We'll pick a winner or something.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
"I spoke to Anthony's manager just a few hours ago and he told me that he was really disappointed, but he respects the decision. He would consider going down to 145 to fight Aldo. This is definitely something to monitor."

Do it, Showtime. Do it!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Let's settle this.

Everyone please for use in the new OT, in 100 words or less, "What is MMA?"

Bonus points for use of "NHB" and "human cockfighting"

We'll pick a winner or something.
modern day gladiators
god bless usamerica

We should start up a private Neogaf party, where all kick in like if we went to each others house. A couple dollars every person or whatever needed. One person streams in a private room and just us mma gaffers who contribute can join.

How would this be different from me buying this at my house and inviting you guys over.
The difference is that Zuffa would want every computer user to pay full PPV price per use to watch it on their screen.

MMA is tattooed gents with no employable skills to fall back on injuring other people to prove their love for God and show how His will flows through their fists.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Yeh Nortje is bad but the point was that if he was even worse and could be relied on to lose he would actually do better financially. Bob Sapp's career is now go to small promotion (often in countries where MMA isn't particularly developed so having a great look still means a lot), look mean at the weigh in and interviews then lose to the promotions local guy.He knows whats up and does pretty well as a result, not sure just how long term that will be but its not like the UFC is going to come calling for him.

I found this funny:

Sapp is scheduled to perform at Dramatic Dream Team Pro Wrestling's "2011: A RYOGOKU Peter Pan" event on July 24, 2011 using a "Beast will fight for money" gimmick

TheNatural

My Member!
With all due respect to Rampage, it's time to turn the page on some of these older guys who keep losing. It's just delaying the inevitable, Tito doesn't need to fight anymore, Rampage doesn't need to fight anymore, Wanderlei doesn't need to fight anymore. Time to start building new stars and matchups for the future.

I know with Rampage and Tito, maybe there's not really getting rocked, but no one needs to end up like this:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/3/13/2867460/the-fighter-who-stayed-too-long

Sad story. Even if you're not getting beat down in a fight, through training there's probably not of favors there just doing that to get ready. Time to move on from a few guys and let them go.

"When talking to him on the phone, his speech was becoming slurred," said Mike Mobbs, who’s counted Goodridge as his best friend since the two were nine years old, growing up in Barrie, Ontario together. "It got to the point where, when having phone conversations with him, I found myself constantly saying, ‘What did you say? Pardon?’ That, to me, was the tip-off."

He’d forget appointments, forget whole conversations. He’d call a friend on the phone, talk to them for a while, then hang up and call them back ten minutes later. ‘How’s it going?’ he’d ask. And what were you supposed to say? That it was going exactly the same as it was ten minutes ago? That his brain was broken, and that there was nothing anybody could do about it?

:(

dream

No sympathy for Big Daddy Goodridge whatsoever. He's the one who took fights only a few weeks apart when getting KO'd over and over again.

TheNatural

My Member!
No sympathy for Big Daddy Goodridge whatsoever. He's the one who took fights only a few weeks apart when getting KO'd over and over again.

Yeah so he deserves no sympathy and deserve brain damage for it huh? Just because he made bad mistakes with his career and no one told him otherwise, doesn't mean you can't feel bad for the guy having brain damage. There should have been checks and balances in place to keep him from fighting really.

dream

It's Japan. It's sort of assumed that nobody there gives a shit about fighter safety or long term health.

Does he deserve brain damage? It would be horrible to say "yes, he deserves it." But when someone keeps alternating between K-1 and Ultimate Fights while getting brutally knocked out in both sports -- without taking any time to recover -- well, here's to Big Daddy Goodridge's diminished cognitive functions.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's Japan. It's sort of assumed that nobody there gives a shit about fighter safety or long term health.

Does he deserve brain damage? It would be horrible to say "yes, he deserves it." But when someone keeps alternating between K-1 and Ultimate Fights while getting brutally knocked out in both sports -- without taking any time to recover -- well, here's to Big Daddy Goodridge's diminished cognitive functions.

Well read the story, I don't think he did it out of spite to his health or any bad motivations. Not like he was on drugs or all kinds of other shit, he just didn't have any backup plan for his life, all he knew how to do was fight - so he did it. I don't think that deserves any callous "thats what you get" shit though.

dream

I'm not going to argue that there shouldn't be a Gary Goodridge Reform Act in the mixed martials. But I watched Big Daddy's entire career. I thought it was incredibly dangerous when he'd fight a Ultimate Fight a week after getting KO'd in K-1. And then he went and did that for a few more years. The guy traded his health for paydays and I don't find that particularly worthy of sympathy. He knew what he was doing.

He should have went back to arm wrestling.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm not going to argue that there shouldn't be a Gary Goodridge Reform Act in the mixed martials. But I watched Big Daddy's entire career. I thought it was incredibly dangerous when he'd fight a Ultimate Fight a week after getting KO'd in K-1. And then he went and did that for a few more years. The guy traded his health for paydays and I don't find that particularly worthy of sympathy. He knew what he was doing.

He should have went back to arm wrestling.

That's arguable. He obviously didn't know the extent of his downfall, and still feels like he can't really get a grasp of whats going on with his health. It's unfortunate that like a lot of boxers and fighters over the years, like Ali for example, that there was no one to really hold him back and tell him that it's enough.

I would say the majority of fighters really don't know when to quit, look at Shamrock out there continuing to fight, Evander Holyfield over the years. I feel bad there isn't enough checks and balances out there to keep these guys from fighting or they don't have someone in their ear good enough to force them to quit.

So yeah, I do feel bad, and even though its a mistake to continue fighting, all they're trying to do is earn a living and keep their career and life going the only way how.

Top Bottom