• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

hIPV5.jpg

I WANT IT NOW.

yacobod

Banned
probably my final update to the OP before we hit 20k posts, I've updated the upcoming cards information to include:

UFC on Fuel TV: Silva vs. Gustafsson - April 14, 2012 - Fuel TV (Cable TV)
UFC 145: JBJ vs Evans - April 21, 2012 - PPV
UFC on Fox 3: Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller - May 5, 2012 - Fox (Network TV)
UFC on Fuel TV 3: Korean Zombie vs. Dustin Poirier - May 15, 2012 - Fuel TV (Cable TV)
UFC 146: JDS vs. Overeem - May 26, 2012 - PPV
The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale: Martin Kampmann vs. Jake Ellenberger - June 1, 2012 - FX (Cable TV)
UFC on FX 3: TBD - June 8, 2012 - FX (Cable TV)
UFC 147: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - June 16, 2012 - PPV

So I have the option to go to UFC on FX 4 but other than Guida vs Maynard the line up is looking pretty boring so far:

Clay Guida vs. Gray Maynard
Brian Ebersole vs. T.J. Waldburger
Jim Hettes vs. Steven Siler
Ricardo Funch vs. Dan Miller
Rich Attonito vs. Rick Story
Luis Ramos vs. Matt Riddle
Chis Camozzi vs. Nick Catone

:/

Seanspeed

Banned
Lifting weights won't increase punching power - Agree or Disagree? This is a poll on bodybulding.com in the mma section.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143288973&page=2

I think punching/striking power is based on proper form and speed.
Imo, lifting won't do shit, on the other hand, plyometrics will help heap tons. But I guess I don't work out that much so I don't know shit.. just wanted some of your opinions.

You can lift weights with increasing power in mind. Power is basically just strength combined with speed. Obviously good form is important for maximizing the power delivery, too. When lifting, you'd want to focus on strength-training with low reps/high weight and explosive compound exercises like power cleans and whatnot that develop very good core power.

yacobod

Banned
So I have the option to go to UFC on FX 4 but other than Guida vs Maynard the line up is looking pretty boring so far:

if you never been, i'd go because it's pretty cool to see a fight live. i'm not sure where you live or what access you have to flying and funds.

but i've seen 4 UFC cards and 2 Strikeforce cards live, and ultimately its fun, but the best seat in the house is at home or at a bar. Unless you have a real good seat you are going to be watching the overhead monitor instead of the cage, so basically you are going live for the atmosphere.

if you never been, i'd go because it's pretty cool to see a fight live. i'm not sure where you live or what access you have to flying and funds.

but i've seen 4 UFC cards and 2 Strikeforce cards live, and ultimately its fun, but the best seat in the house is at home or at a bar. Unless you have a real good seat you are going to be watching the overhead monitor instead of the cage, so basically you are going live for the atmosphere.

I was at 126 in NJ. Had a great time there. Got drunk and met a few fighters. This one might be interesting just because its such a small venue. So I'll probably end up going. I was just wishing there were more fighters that I truly cared about at this one.

EDIT: I had to use spell check on 'truly'. The further I get from college the dumber I'm getting.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
probably my final update to the OP before we hit 20k posts, I've updated the upcoming cards information to include:

UFC on Fuel TV 3: Korean Zombie vs. Dustin Poirier - May 15, 2012 - Fuel TV (Cable TV)
The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale: Martin Kampmann vs. Jake Ellenberger - June 1, 2012 - FX (Cable TV)
Sheesh, we're still a whole 3 weeks away until the Fuel card and 4 until the next ppv? I promise not to complain about getting watered down cards every week when those come come in May and June.

Az987

all good things

ha UFC!

I'm going to Shogun Fights in April! Baltimore's PREMIERE bad MMA! lol I actually don't really want to go but my brother does and its his birthday so I guess I'm stuck sitting through 11 bad MMA fights.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The prodigal son has returned. We are a forgiving community and we will welcome you back into the fold.

Now remove the ugly fat man from your avatar.

I've accomplished my goal of joining the white collar workforce. All these button up shirts and 50 hour work weeks don't leave much time for posting.

Cedric stays as my placeholder avatar until I think up something new.

TheNatural

My Member!

You forgot Barnett vs. Cormier jerk.

yacobod

Banned
I've accomplished my goal of joining the white collar workforce. All these button up shirts and 50 hour work weeks don't leave much time for posting.

Sir doesn't sound like your white collar job is very good if you don't have time to post :)

But congrats on the job, where are you working if you don't mind me asking, downtown or in the burbs?

dream

ESPN's Degree of Difficulty Sports Rankings

1. Boxing
2. Ice Hockey
3. Football
4. Basketball
5. Wrestling
6. Mixed Martial Arts
7. Tennis
8. Gymnastics
9. Baseball
10. Soccer

discuss

Think of it like this:

Sports 1-5 all require a delicate balance of offense and defense (and maybe playing within a system) to win. And even then, your opponent is trying to find that same balance to thwart your strategy and beat you.

In contrast, you can win 90% of your fights in sport #6 simply by laying on your opponent for 15 minutes.

jut420

Neo Member

1. Boxing
2. Ice Hockey
3. Football
4. Basketball
5. Wrestling
6. Mixed Martial Arts
7. Tennis
8. Gymnastics
9. Baseball
10. Soccer

discuss

I've played all of the sports listed aside from gymnastics and I'd say golf is harder than all of them. I'd also say lacrosse is harder than basketball, football, tennis, and baseball. Ice hockey was pretty hard, but that's because I suck at skating. I was a pretty sick goalie haha. Boxing harder than MMA? lol I think people believe that because most casuals perceive MMA to be street fighting and boxing to be much more tactile.

I've played all of the sports listed aside from gymnastics and I'd say golf is harder than all of them. I'd also say lacrosse is harder than basketball, football, tennis, and baseball. Ice hockey was pretty hard, but that's because I suck at skating. I was a pretty sick goalie haha. Boxing harder than MMA? lol I think people believe that because most casuals perceive MMA to be street fighting and boxing to be much more tactile.

Wut?

Biff

1. Boxing
2. Ice Hockey
3. Football
4. Basketball
5. Wrestling
6. Mixed Martial Arts
7. Tennis
8. Gymnastics
9. Baseball
10. Soccer

discuss

I love MMA and I agree it's too low, but the fact that F1 auto racing isn't even in the top 10 makes this a complete joke... The only argument is that F1 is too specific so they'd have to put "auto racing" which would include NASCAR - which is still a hard sport, don't get me wrong, but not nearly as difficult as F1, which is by far the most difficult sport on the planet. It's athletes are the best conditioned in the world, and face a real chance of death at every corner. You train not only to win, but also because your life depends on it.

Also gymnastics is fucking hard and WAY harder than basketball and ice hockey in my opinion.

P.S. I've commented on sports I've trained in for a respectable amount of time. Including "auto racing" by way of competitive 2-stroke kart racing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Since we're discussing the ESPN list, the only surprise to me is how low cheerleading ranks. I've always heard that was difficult at high levels.

Sir doesn't sound like your white collar job is very good if you don't have time to post :)

But congrats on the job, where are you working if you don't mind me asking, downtown or in the burbs?

Oh, I've got a nice corner office cubicle in Northbrook.

jut420

Neo Member

IMO golf as an individual sport is harder than all of them. You can honestly say scoring a touchdown or making a basket or hitting a home run is harder than making a hole in one? I always ragged on golf growing up because it was boring but when you go on a course and try to play, its harder to do good than any sport i've played so far. I still don't really like golf other than the challenge but I can admit it's difficulty

Heel

Looks like one of those "Joe Silva's roster leftovers" cards. Hettes vs. Siler is interesting, though.

Congratulations man. Your absence is felt in the nerd chat!

Did anyone actually watch any of the Bad MMA last night in the chat?

Hahaha I don't think so. Fun as always though.

There is BA(D)MMA 9 tonight, but not sure on a stream. Also this amazingly bad european card but I can't figure out how to translate this start time:

CHS will be broadcast live Saturday! The streaming and scheduled for Saturday + at +-20h00-00h00 (end of 14 fights)
Le SHC sera diffusé en direct samedi !! La diffusion en streaming et prévu samedi de +-20h00 à +-00h00 (fin des 14 combats)

What?

Heel

So, Ken Shamrock is trying to pitch a show to networks which basically boils down to Celebrity Boxing, but MMA. Celebrities and sports stars going through a fight camp and then competing. If this gets greenlit Bad MMA has gone mainstream...Helwani interview here.

ibjwyGRhZRXrXq.jpg

All one troll by EL just to make us feel inferior.

You spell superior wrong, brah.

MMA-GAF stays winning.

The best part is how our good friend EvilLore cited MMA's "day to day regional events" in his post. Bad MMA just turned face and saved us all from withering away in Community, gentlemen. Never forget!

i81LAUiyIx2OE.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The best part is how our good friend EvilLore cited MMA's "day to day regional events" in his post. Bad MMA just turned face and saved us all from withering away in Community, gentlemen. Never forget!

i81LAUiyIx2OE.gif

Legacy FC, the gift that keeps on giving.

TheNatural

My Member!
Thread isn't big enough for a community really, there's nothing going on for another good month. We just talk about Mark Hunt's birthday and stuff.

Heel

So...finally got that iPad, kinda. Got one at the Apple Store to try out while I wait for stock online and to be sure I actually want one. Well...after an hour, I really want one! Just seeing if I want 16 or 32 gb before trying to grab one online.

Where are my casual gaming friends dream and poly?

Quake1028

So...finally got that iPad, kinda. Got one at the Apple Store to try out while I wait for stock online and to be sure I actually want one. Well...after an hour, I really want one! Just seeing if I want 16 or 32 gb before trying to grab one online.

Where are my casual gaming friends dream and poly?

All the cool kids go 32GB White Wi-Fi.

Top Bottom