• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

TheNatural

My Member!
Booya.

3GnPP.png

sM7yE.png

A little mad though, I boosted Blanco and Gravedigger and they lost, not only no points but costing me points. If Gravedigger had come through for me, I may have won the whole damn thing. FUUUU

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What is good with that bones thread? I seriously think im speechless. This is why the unwashed masses should make their own threads.

TheNatural

My Member!
What is good with that bones thread? I seriously think im speechless. This is why the unwashed masses should make their own threads.

It's combination of newbie frontrunners vs. jaded elitists arguing over Jones.

Jones isn't invincible obviously as some think, but at the same time some people need to stop living in the past. PRIDE died years ago, people need to stop talking about how a "prime" so and so fighter would destroy so and so nowadays - especialy when the guy in question is like 30 fucking years old.

Heel

Apparently first ballot hall of famer Wanderlei Silva is overrated and never had an aura of invincibility. I had no idea.

Jones isn't invincible obviously as some think, but at the same time some people need to stop living in the past. PRIDE died years ago, people need to stop talking about how a "prime" so and so fighter would destroy so and so nowadays - especialy when the guy in question is like 30 fucking years old.

Age ain't nothin' but a number, friend. You can't define prime by an age range. I just take exception to people who shit on PRIDE and never actually watched it.

We've been over this a million times so let's go no further.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

MMAth will never die. Both sides of the argument are pretty silly though. I have a feeling whenever he loses it will be a boring fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
Apparently first ballot hall of famer Wanderlei Silva is overrated and never had an aura of invincibility. I had no idea.

Age ain't nothin' but a number, friend. You can't define prime by an age range. I just take exception to people who shit on PRIDE and never actually watched it.

We've been over this a million times so let's go no further.

Whether you like it or not, whether you blame someone's losses on injuries, mileage, or whatever else - that's part of the game.

You have a guy who's getting the shot next who was in PRIDE and has been in as many wars in the cage/ring as anyone, and is in his early 40's. So excuse me if the "well a prime so and so" suddenly isn't prime anymore when they lose and that's the only reason they lost. Funny how that works, when someone like Forrest Griffin comes along and beats guys who were supposed legends, and the only reason he did it is because "They really weren't themselves like they used to be."

Or maybe, just maybe, they weren't as great and unbeatable as you thought they were in the first place. Hendo sure as hell hasn't needed any excuses, so it's time for people to stop making them and making comparisons with everyone else.

Baby Milo

Whether you like it or not, whether you blame someone's losses on injuries, mileage, or whatever else - that's part of the game.

You have a guy who's getting the shot next who was in PRIDE and has been in as many wars in the cage/ring as anyone, and is in his early 40's. So excuse me if the "well a prime so and so" suddenly isn't prime anymore when they lose and that's the only reason they lost. Funny how that works, when someone like Forrest Griffin comes along and beats guys who were supposed legends, and the only reason he did it is because "They really weren't themselves like they used to be."

Or maybe, just maybe, they weren't as great and unbeatable as you thought they were in the first place. Hendo sure as hell hasn't needed any excuses, so it's time for people to stop making them and making comparisons with everyone else.

yeah i don't think we will look back at Jones beating a 41 year old Henderson who just lost to Jake Shields at 185 as a big win for him. Context matters. You can't sit here and pretend that every win off the same guy is equal.

Heel

Just because Bas Rutten said it every time Wanderlei did his Bruce Lee wrist roll before a fight doesn't make it true!

In a sport where anyone can lose there are very few fighters who ever have developed an aura in MMA. I can probably count the number of guys who had anything close to what you could call an aura on one hand. Wand is one of those.

Facts, brah.

TheNatural

My Member!
yeah i don't think we will look back at Jones beating a 41 year old Henderson who just lost to Jake Shields at 185 as a big win for him. Context matters. You can't sit here and pretend that every win off the same guy is equal.

"Just" lost to Jake Shields? You mean 5 fights ago?

Hendo doesn't need excuses, since leaving PRIDE he's beaten Shogun, Fedor, Franklin, and Bisping.

The point is, he's getitng it done and has adapted his game over time and become a dangerous striker with dynamite in his right hand.

Maybe people should start looking at the effect of fighters not adapting their game over time instead of blaming it on fighters not "being in their prime anymore" at whatever age they're at.

For example, Tito's ground and pound shit was extinct because the game evolved with guys who got better than him. His stone age MMA shit didn't work anymore when guys got as good as him. Same with Liddell, he rode the iron chin until it wasn't iron anymore until the end. Thats on him and his flaws though that he couldn't adapt his game to face the inevitable, that he couldn't do that forever. Similar to Wanderlei.

It's total bullshit after someone loses the fanboys of the fighters jump out and say NUH UH IT DOESN'T COUNT! WHO CARES HE WAS 30 AGE DOESN'T MATTER HE STILL WASN'T IN HIS PRIME!

Fuck you could do that with fucking anything and everybody. This is part of the game though, longetivity is part of the sport, and if you don't adapt to minimize what you've lost over time or the flaws you could compensate with, that counts against you and you can't use it as an excuse that "you're not yourself anymore."

dream

can we go back to talking about what a no good cheating liar alistair overeem is?

As you can imagine, there is widespread skepticism regarding Alistair Overeem's contention that he tested positive because, unknown to him, an injection he took for a rib injury contained testosterone. Although he claimed he withdrew from the fight, that is not the case, since Frank Mir had been contacted some time back and told he was the back-up, but asked to keep it quiet until it was announced. Unless Overeem sues the doctor for malpractice, and if the story is true, considering what this has done for his career, giving an athlete a steroid without his knowledge and causing him to test positive and screwing up his career, color me more than just skeptical. Particularly when this was the third different story UFC officials had gotten since this thing broke.

I remember watching Wand fight Crocop online and not having any idea how it would play out. Both guys seemed invincible to me at the time. Wand had weighted in heavier than Crocop and their reaches were around the same, so the fact that one usually fought at 205 didn't seem to matter. It was just going to be whose style won out and who connected better.

But I didn't have MMA Gaf to tell me that Wand had too many holes in his stand up to beat Crocop.

Let's post Wand highlight videos just for fun and nostalgia. Everyone loves a good highlight video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68GHGsuCoAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bcciXDmaFs

Also, these 800 mg ibuprofens my doctor gave me for my strain is making my dick rock hard. I think my hair is starting to fall out though.

Heel

I remember watching Wand fight Crocop online and not having any idea how it would play out. Both guys seemed invincible to me at the time.

Yeah, Wand Cro Cop and Fedor are definitely in my handful of fighters I'd say had an aura in MMA. Throw in Chuck and Anderson while we're at it.

TheNatural

My Member!
oh those injuries and wars you have been though don't matter and have zero effect you should have just adapted your game

ok buddy

Keep making up shit to fit your excuses. I didn't say they had zero effect, but who's fault is it they had effect? If you have no defense and you're getting rocked and trading shots and your career falls apart earlier than it should have because you fight in this flawed manner, who's to blame for that happening? It's no one elses but the fighter for letting it get to that point. There's a reason why a guy like Bernard Hopkins is almost 50 years old in boxing and has a world title. As he likes to say, he put his money in the bank over his career and it's paying interest. You can't just discount that shit.

That's part of the game and it can count either positively or negatively against you with your legacy. You can't sit here and compare fighters and say "nuh uh no fair he's not in his prime anymore doesn't count" when something doesn't go favorably in comparison to another fighter.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Hendo doesn't need excuses, since leaving PRIDE he's beaten Shogun, Fedor, Franklin, and Bisping.

The point is, he's getitng it done and has adapted his game over time and become a dangerous striker with dynamite in his right hand.

Maybe people should start looking at the effect of fighters not adapting their game over time instead of blaming it on fighters not "being in their prime anymore" at whatever age they're at.

For example, Tito's ground and pound shit was extinct because the game evolved with guys who got better than him. His stone age MMA shit didn't work anymore when guys got as good as him. Same with Liddell, he rode the iron chin until it wasn't iron anymore until the end. That on him and his flaws though that he couldn't adapt his game to face the inevitable, that he couldn't do that forever. Similar to Wanderlei.

It's total bullshit after someone loses the fanboys of the fighters jump out and say NUH UH IT DOESN'T COUNT! WHO CARES HE WAS 30 AGE DOESN'T MATTER HE STILL WASN'T IN HIS PRIME!

Fuck you could do that with fucking anything and everybody. This is part of the game though, longetivity is part of the sport, and if you don't adapt to minimize what you've lost over time or the flaws you could compensate with, that counts against you and you can't use it as an excuse that "you're not yourself anymore."

The exception and the rule. If hendo wasnt around who would have you used as the exception? Just about every singe notable fighter from that era (forget org segregation) is nowhere what they used to be.

Heel

The exception and the rule. If hendo wasnt around who would have you used as the exception? Just about every singe notable fighter from that era (forget org segregation) is nowhere what they used to be.

The "but Hendo" argument just makes me laugh now. I can't take this age vs. prime argument seriously. Stop trollin' Natch!

TheNatural

My Member!

Shogun hasn't done bad for himself, he destroyed Machida and was supposedly going to destroy Jones, but somehow after Jones destroyed him then it wasn't because Jones was just BETTER and Shogun was fine.

Seriously, if anytime a PRIDE fighter loses, how come its always "he's just not in his prime" why can't you give credit to the guy who beat him instead of making excuses?

You say Hendo's the only exception but look at all the old era fighters still hanging around without completely collapsing.

Overeem got better after he left PRIDE. Of course, you could say it's to the roid use, but he's better than he was. Werdum is probably as good as he's ever been, especially as a striker he's gotten a lot better. Mir is getting the title shot next, even though he's flawed, he put on weight to avoid being Lesnar'ed ever again and has kept relevent as a result. Big Nog is hanging around. Barnett is still around and looking fine. Vitor is going to be main eventing Brazil.

I don't know what this argument is about "well Hendo is the only one." There are plenty of guys that are still around, and maybe not at the dead top of the division, but who have been fighting a long time and have no completely collapsed in a losing streak like Cro Cop and Fedor.

You can't just say that doesn't count for anything, because it does.

For example, Tito's ground and pound shit was extinct because the game evolved with guys who got better than him. His stone age MMA shit didn't work anymore when guys got as good as him. Same with Liddell, he rode the iron chin until it wasn't iron anymore until the end. Thats on him and his flaws though that he couldn't adapt his game to face the inevitable, that he couldn't do that forever. Similar to Wanderlei.

who ya crappin?

Hendo vs Jones should end up being a far more entertaining fight. No matter what good or bad comes out of it, Hendo will go inside Jones and won't be looking to continually move away from him like Evans, Rua, and Machida. Hendo is a boss at light heavy, there's no one i would favor over him in that division besides Jones.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Shogun hasn't done bad for himself, he destroyed Machida and was supposedly going to destroy Jones, but somehow after Jones destroyed him then it wasn't because Jones was just BETTER and Shogun was fine.

Seriously, if anytime a PRIDE fighter loses, how come its always "he's just not in his prime" why can't you give credit to the guy who beat him instead of making excuses?

You say Hendo's the only exception but look at all the old era fighters still hanging around without completely collapsing.

Overeem got better after he left PRIDE. Of course, you could say it's to the roid use, but he's better than he was. Werdum is probably as good as he's ever been, especially as a striker he's gotten a lot better. Mir is getting the title shot next, even though he's flawed, he put on weight to avoid being Lesnar'ed ever again and has kept relevent as a result. Big Nog is hanging around. Barnett is still around and looking fine. Vitor is going to be main eventing Brazil.

I don't know what this argument is about "well Hendo is the only one." There are plenty of guys that are still around, and maybe not at the dead top of the division, but who have been fighting a long time and have no completely collapsed in a losing streak like Cro Cop and Fedor.

You can't just say that doesn't count for anything, because it does.

None of the guys you mentioned with the exception of the lying cheating flaccid dicked dutchman count.

Boogie

C'mon, "aura of invincibility" is stretching it.

Aura of "scary as fuck" sure.

But back in the day, there was always the dual losses of being steamrolled by Vitor and dry-humped by Tito that I don't think "aura of invincibility" fits.

Heel

C'mon, "aura of invincibility" is stretching it.

Aura of "scary as fuck" sure.

But back in the day, there was always the dual losses of being steamrolled by Vitor and dry-humped by Tito that I don't think "aura of invincibility" fits.

Anderson's losses never prevented him from being perceived as unbeatable. Same goes for Cro Cop's kickboxing losses. Wand had that same kind of run in PRIDE.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Yeah, Wand Cro Cop and Fedor are definitely in my handful of fighters I'd say had an aura in MMA. Throw in Chuck and Anderson while we're at it.

Back in the day..Sakaruba had it too I think.The guy fought and beat so many great fighters..well till Wand took and stomped it/suplexed it and then 1,2'd it away.
Always wondered how amazing his career would have been if there had been a 185 division when he started instead of him fighting so many heavies and Light Heavies

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
[Back in the day..Sakaruba had it too I think guy fought and beat so many great fighters..well till Wand took and stomped it/suplexed it and then 1,2'd it away.
Always wondered how amazing his career would have been if there had been a 185 division when he started instead of him fighting so many heavies and Light Heavies

I miss the cartwheel pass.

Top Bottom