• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
I don't get this "Jim Miller has no personality" meme. He's the guy with the beard.

stolen from the OP

The anti-personalities are the personalities from bizzaro-land. They manage to suck the life out of any card they are on. During one of their matches, it might be a good time to take a cigarette break or to take a quick trip to the supermarket. The anti-personalities are typically non-descript white fighters, who are primarily wrestlers, and are often described as gritty or grinders. The chances of them finishing a fight is about the same as you winning the lottery. The UFC welterweight division has the highest concentration of these grinders. If you find that you are watching one of their matches. expect the fight to go to decision. Avoid at all costs.

Higgy

CaptYamato said:
American Football is the biggest sport in the US and you don't hear shit about it. It's all about who talks. Baseball was exposed because players opened their mouths.

True. To be fair the NFL has the longest running drug policy in major sports, since 87 I think and they ban guys all the time. My team the Vikes have a pro bowler sitting right now. Baseball just plain fucking turned their heads to the obvious use going on in the locker rooms.

I just think with the small number of athletes on the Zuffa roster combined with the type of sport MMA is it would be an uglier scandal then what goes on in the NFL.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
stolen from the OP

The anti-personalities are the personalities from bizzaro-land. They manage to suck the life out of any card they are on. During one of their matches, it might be a good time to take a cigarette break or to take a quick trip to the supermarket. The anti-personalities are typically non-descript white fighters, who are primarily wrestlers, and are often described as gritty or grinders. The chances of them finishing a fight is about the same as you winning the lottery. The UFC welterweight division has the highest concentration of these grinders. If you find that you are watching one of their matches. expect the fight to go to decision. Avoid at all costs.
That beard is dripping with personality, breh.

Heel

Chamber said:
That beard is dripping with personality, breh.

Yeah, and Jim will fight anybody.....anybody the UFC asks him to!

Jim Miller bandwagon of sarcasm starts now. Who's in?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i like jim miller. he's been more impressive recently than 90% of the overrated twits most people in this thread splooge over.

knew bendo would beat him though just too much bigger. guida will take bendo probably. not a fan of either guy so it will be nice to see one drop back to the midcard

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chamber said:
Guida is the most overrated fighter in the UFC right now at least as far as rankings go.
he did ok for himself against pettis, who wrecked gaf favorite bendo

doesn't mean i like the way he fights, but if bendo isn't able to smother you he's really not good for much. bendo could barely keep pettis down or even score takedowns on pettis and guida had zero problems

this is mostly about people overrating bendo now. everyone knows "fan favorite" guida will always get too much attention literally only for his hair

yacobod

Banned
just hope frankie beats maynard, otherwise this is the future of the division.

graymaynard_wearingburnout.jpg

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:
Funny you say that, yaco. I do think Gray would hold the belt for a long time if he's able to get past Edgar.

ya i think so too, that's why we must all rally around frankie edgar to vanquish him.

Heel

Off topic, but you know what I just remembered?

Aldo was rumored to want to test himself at 155 at the end of 2010. He was offered none other than Kenny Florian, and his management declined the fight. Puts an interesting wrinkle in the Aldo vs. Florian fight at 145.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well he certainly isn't Cub Swanson. Kenny "KenFlo" Florian is easily the best person Aldo has ever fought. I'm very intrigued by that match-up.

dream

I just think it's kind of unfair to call Kenny a choker just because he lost to Steroid Sean and the best fighter in the world.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The choker label came after he got ragdolled by The Bully. I like Kenny but his performance against Maynard was baffling.

Heel

dream said:
I just think it's kind of unfair to call Kenny a choker just because he lost to Steroid Sean and the best fighter in the world.

I'm not sure if it was on purpose, but leaving off forgettable white guy personality Gray Maynard made for the perfect dream response.

yacobod

Banned
florian is what he is, a good mid card guy, he's just not championship belt material, not that there is anything wrong with that. he doesn't have the athleticism to be at the top of any class.

Heel

I can't believe they're going to use the UFC on FOX debut to promote...UFC 139: Belfort vs. Le.

Yeah, that's the main event apparently. Can someone give me an optimistic spin on how this is a good idea? Looks like they're spread a little too thin at the wrong time.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
sien916 said:
I can't believe they're going to use the UFC on FOX debut to promote...UFC 139: Belfort vs. Le.

Yeah, that's the main event apparently. Can someone give me an optimistic spin on how this is a good idea? Looks like they're spread a little too thin at the wrong time.

Dana McMahon "You're FIRED" match.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Faber/Bowles is probable FOTN, a title eliminator and actually worthy of going 5 rounds. Not only will Belfort/Le be over in Round 1 but it's a totally irrelevant match-up in the MW division.

EDIT - Nevermind that Belfort/Le shouldn't even be fighting in the first place. Dana used to kill Pride for gimmick matchmaking.

Yeah Belfort vs. Le being a main event, let alone a fight that will actually happen in the UFC makes me LOL. I refuse to order that bullshit and even refuse to give a bar business that shows it. It'll be the first UFC PPV I don't watch live since UFC 96.

sien916 said:
Didn't a certain someone have him rated as the #2 heavyweight in the world in a year's time...right ahead of Meathead? I won't say names!
Now I have Cormier way up there. Still shocked. I used to think he'd be better at LHW but now I'm not sure it even matters. On the other hand the whole fight was decided by that one overhand right, which isn't exactly the most significant indicator of a fighter's overall ability. Same as Jones-Shogun which all came down to that soccer kick a fraction of a second after shogun took his hand off the mat.

Here's an interview with Bigfoot: http://www.tatame.com/2011/09/12/Bi...-Cormier-says-Barnett-will-win-Strikeforce-GP
What went wrong?

I had a game plan, but I could never imagine he’d punch me like that. I wasn’t underestimating him, but after he punched me I couldn’t see a thing, I wasn’t controlling my body anymore. I was doing things automatically, I could only see shadows. When I stood up I was dizzy. I was really dizzy after that jab, but I went for it. If I’m losing, at least I’ll lose while fighting. It happened, he deserve the credits. I was well prepared, but he punched me. We didn’t even really fought.

iddqd

mrbagdt said:
after five years, got awarded my brown belt today. woot!

IMG_3279.jpg

great job!

how long have you been training?
write some stuff! I`m just a striped white belt, so anything is welcome!

Jake.

j. miller has always seen like such a dad to me, i can't explain it. like, just a cool dad who happens to fight in mma. is he a dad? i hope so.

also, congrats on the belt.

Strikeforce payouts:
Josh Barnett: $150,000 (no win bonus)
def. Sergei Kharitonov: $100,000

Daniel Cormier: $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus)
def. Antonio Silva: $100,000

Luke Rockhold: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
def. Ronaldo Souza: $70,000

Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal: $85,000 (no win bonus)
def. Roger Gracie: $80,000

Pat Healy: $17,500 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
def. Maximo Blanco: $13,000

Mike Kyle: $44,000 (includes $22,000 win bonus)
def. Marcos Rogerio de Lima: $5,000

Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
def. Yoel Romero: $10,000

Jordan Mein: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos: $20,000

Alexis Davis: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
def. Amanda Nunes: $7,500

Dominique Steele: $5,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Mierzwiak: $3,000

dream

sien916 said:

Dunno how it will do on PPV but they just went from an event they'd have to heavily paper to probably legit selling out the Pavillion.

Roger Gracie didn't even get a medical suspension:
Antonio Silva: Suspended 60 days due to KO loss/for precautionary reasons
Yoel Romero: Suspended 60 days due to KO loss/for precautionary reasons
Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos: Suspended 30 days due to KO loss/for precautionary reasons
Amanda Nunes: Suspended 30 days due to KO loss/for precautionary reasons
Even with all the replays it didn't look like had any reason to be incapable of defending himself. The first standing punch knocked him down, at which point he rotated toward Mo and put his legs up, then Mo threw a diving punch that didn't seemed to connect and he suddenly went limp.

EDIT: Maybe MMAJunkie screwed up - MMA Weekly says Gracie was in fact suspended: http://mmaweekly.com/medical-suspen...s-following-strikeforce-barnett-vs-kharitonov

BigKaboom2 said:
Roger Gracie didn't even get a medical suspension:

Even with all the replays it didn't look like had any reason to be incapable of defending himself. The first standing punch knocked him down, at which point he rotated toward Mo and put his legs up, then Mo threw a diving punch that didn't seemed to connect and he suddenly went limp.

EDIT: Maybe MMAJunkie screwed up - MMA Weekly says Gracie was in fact suspended: http://mmaweekly.com/medical-suspen...s-following-strikeforce-barnett-vs-kharitonov
King.gif

I dunno, looked like those punches connected to me.

Top Bottom