• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
I think josh barnett could be a pretty big star with the ufc marketing machine and his mic skills. He is unknown atm because he's been toiling away in japan for the last decade.

Get the man some face time, let him cut a few promos before his first fight, and were golden. If a bum like big nog is still a contender at hw in the ufc, josh would do fine. id love to see josh vs mir. They could sell that fight.

Heel

Brian Fellows said:
There is no competition and nobody will give a shit about Barnett whether he wins or not. He has about as much drawing power as Travis Lutter or Jonathan Goulet.

28veomqjpgfriy.gif

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
yacobod said:
I think josh barnett could be a pretty big star with the ufc marketing machine and his mic skills. He is unknown atm because he's been toiling away in japan for the last decade.

Get the man some face time, let him cut a few promos before his first fight, and were golden. If a bum like big nog is still a contender at hw in the ufc, josh would do fine. id love to see josh vs mir. They could sell that fight.

Exactly! The UFC could make him a star if they choose to but they don't have to. There really isn't anywhere he can go where he'd be any sort of threat to them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
well Dana wants to be Vince McMahon.

w7Etyl.jpg

I've got no problem if a pro wrestler likes MMA, they're obviously sorta related.

TheNatural

My Member!
Donthizz# said:
CM Punk? MMA is getting too close to pro wrestling..

Not a bad thing in IMO. Lesnar brought a lot of casual fans over to MMA from wrestling. CM Punk AKA Phil Brooks, has trained in Muay Thai. I have no idea how extensively, but he uses that in his matches. Hell the current WWE champion has a 9-5 record in MMA, known as Dos Caras.

A lot of people can still be introduced to MMA from professional wrestling. UFC going head to head with WWE next year with live TUF fights on Friday's will be interesting. Hell, if you count ESPN's Friday Night Fights, you literally have UFC, WWE, and boxing going head to head in the same night.

lol just because Ariel is a pro wrestling fanboy it doesn't mean that MMA and pro wrestling are on a collision course, no matter what yaco and dream think lol

dream

Well, as TheNatural pointed out, former WWE sports entertainer Brock Lesnar became a UFC champion. Former DEEP and PRIDE sports entertainer Dos Caras Jr. became the WWE champion. Between that and Pro Wrestler Josh Barnett beating Sergei with a pro wrestling submission and giving a shoutout to pro wrestling afterwards, we're definitely seeing a ton of overlap if not outright collisions between the two forms of sports entertainment.

Heel

There's nothing wrong with fighters showing some personality and flair to differentiate themselves from the Jim Millers of the world. Keep the simpleton fabricated story lines where they belong though...I grew out of that shit when I was in middle school. No disrespect to our WrassleGAF representatives, but that's where the line should be drawn. There's plenty of drama to be had when it's organic and real.

dream

It always amuses me how UFC books better angles than WWE when UFC's storylines are mostly real.

Who's Jim Miller, sien916?

dream said:
It always amuses me how UFC books better angles than WWE when UFC's storylines are mostly real.

Who's Jim Miller, sien916?
Yep, sometimes reality can be better.. Of course they'll exaggerate certain things to make a fight more compelling but the same thing happens in other sports without a pro wrestling comparison. The bottom line is that MMA fights are real and pro wrestling matches are works (certain early PRIDE fights notwithstanding).

Again, the term "sports entertainment" implies that the competition in an event is fabricated due to its use in pro wrestling, so applying that term to MMA can give people the wrong idea.

dream

I guess I just don't think the difference between work and shoot matters that much when the goal is to sell the audience on "this guy wants to fight this guy." Especially since MMA fans don't really care about wins and losses once a guy becomes a star.

dream said:
I guess I just don't think the difference between work and shoot matters that much when the goal is to sell the audience on "this guy wants to fight this guy." Especially since MMA fans don't really care about wins and losses once a guy becomes a star.
Antonio Margarito still has loads of Mexican fans that don't care whether he wins or loses.

Same goes for any professional sports team.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
Especially since MMA fans don't really care about wins and losses once a guy becomes a star.

i agree to a certain extent. i think old school fans are more apt to stick by their favorites win or lose, but the new crowd hops from bandwagon to bandwagon, depending on who wins and loses. A fighter loses one fight and he's tossed to the curb faster than a cheap trick, or maybe that's the internet perspective that isn't really representative of the general fan. I think spending so much time in mma forums kind of slants my perspective.

But I think the casual fans love their Chucks, Randys, Wands, no matter how many times they lose.

dream

yacobod said:
i agree to a certain extent. i think old school fans are more apt to stick by their favorites win or lose, but the new crowd hops from bandwagon to bandwagon, depending on who wins and loses. A fighter loses one fight and he's tossed to the curb faster than a cheap trick, or maybe that's the internet perspective that isn't really representative of the general fan. I think spending so much time in mma forums kind of slants my perspective.

But I think the casual fans love their Chucks, Randys, Wands, no matter how many times they lose.

I think that's more of a testament to just how inept the UFC is at making stars. They're too concerned with short term buyrates to really take the few extra steps to build a guy. Bones Jones may be a "star" right now but if people stop caring about him after QRJ breaks his neck, was he really that big of a star in the first place?

On the other hand, Forrest just got humiliated again but I guarantee he'll get a huge pop for his next fight because the audience actually got to see his character development and they buy in to him as a star.

Heel

yacobod said:

That's because of what they accomplished in the cage though. In my view that's all that really matters in the end. Chuck didn't "get over" because he was the guy with the mohawk...he knocked motherfuckers out.

Bishman

sien916 said:
That's because of what they accomplished in the cage though. In my view that's all that really matters in the end. Chuck didn't "get over" because he was the guy with the mohawk...he knocked motherfuckers out.
Couldn't have said it better.

Heel

dream said:
The mohawk didn't hurt, though.

Haha, I guess? There's plenty of examples of guys void of personality who became stars based on their fighting ability. In my view personality is a bonus, not a necessity.

Hell, a fighting style can be a personality all on its own. Kinda like Cro Cop, that dude who kicks people's heads off. Who likes him because of his personality?

sien916 said:
Haha, I guess? There's plenty of examples of guys void of personality who became stars based on their fighting ability. In my view personality is a bonus, not a necessity.

Hell, a fighting style can be a personality all on its own. Kinda like Cro Cop, that dude who kicks people's heads off. Who likes him because of his personality?
Chuck looks like a meth freak when he watches fights.

Crocop has this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4oJsSnmGkw

Other than that, ya, they don't have much going for them on personality.

TheNatural said:
CM Punk AKA Phil Brooks, has trained in Muay Thai.
Kayfabe - probably propagated by Joey Styles or Taz from the time he was using KENTA's strike rush. Now it's just a roundhouse kick and a running knee strike in the corner.
dream said:
Me too.

And pretty much any argument for a link between MMA and pro wrestling should be based around Inoki.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Just read the Diaz interview. When he fights GSP he is going to get his ass kicked.

How exactly? By sitting in nicks guard trying to look busy so he doesn't get stood up? He won't beat him up standing, and he won't submit nick, so I'm curious what do you think decision georges is going to do.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Unfortunately, unless Georges loses to Conduit, we're never going to get to see him wrestlefuck Diaz into oblivion.

EDIT - Nick sounds like a fuckin idiot. Nobody told him there was going to be a press conference? Come on...

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=7662
Former light-heavyweight champion Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua claimed today that his UFC 134 opponent Forrest Griffin was desperately calling for him to stop his attack at the end of their fight.

“When he was laid out on his back I heard him scream 'stop, stop!', but I couldn't stop hitting him,” the Brazilian admitted to RedeTV Esporte today. Rua stopped Griffin in the first round to avenge the submission loss he suffered at his hands when he first joined the UFC several years ago.
Couldn't stop, lol.

yacobod said:
How exactly? By sitting in nicks guard trying to look busy so he doesn't get stood up? He won't beat him up standing, and he won't submit nick, so I'm curious what do you think decision georges is going to do.
Yaco, GSP has an aggressive guard pass and you know it.

And Chamber is right. Diaz isn't getting past Penn. Who the Fuck has Diaz fought in Strikeforce that is any good?

thirty

Banned
poor forrest, I hope he gets into a match that he actually wants next time instead of doing all these favor fights for Dana. then again, he's getting paid very well, set up for life by the ufc, and isn't writing up tickets anymore as a cop.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If Forrest is going to continue to show the same attitude towards fighting that he did in Brazil, he should take a token office job like Chuck.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Yaco, GSP has an aggressive guard pass and you know it.

And Chamber is right. Diaz isn't getting past Penn. Who the Fuck has Diaz fought in Strikeforce that is any good?

If his ground game is as good as you say there must be a reason he's not racking up tkos and submissions since its so easy for him to secure tds, maintain top control, and getting side control.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Forrest could have put in a better performance in Rio but all the will in the world isn't going to save him from guys like Rua and Andy Silva. That fight just shows how top heavy 205 is.

parasight

Nice to hear Maximo got a shot at FW. Dude has the skills, but he looked like a boy next to Healey. Also, SMH @ Diaz and his victimizing of himself.

Chamber said:
Forrest could have put in a better performance in Rio but all the will in the world isn't going to save him from guys like Rua and Andy Silva. That fight just shows how top heavy 205 is.
Or Bones. Or Rashad. Or Machida. Or even Rampage in a rematch. And I think he knows this and it has a lot to do with his lack of will to fight at the highest level. It seems like he'd be happier to fight mid tier and washed up legacy fighters at this point.

Heel

Amazon Forest Combat 1
Stream: CagePotato.com
Tonight, 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET

Royler Gracie vs. Masakatsu Ueda
Satoshi Ishii vs. Paulo Filho
Josh Burkman vs. Leandro Silva
Antonio Braga Neto vs. Maiquel Falcao
Jordan Smith vs. Karo Parisyan
Ronys Torres vs. Drew Fickett
Alexandre "Capitao" vs. Shanon Slack
Sergio Junior vs. Daniel Acacio
Dileno Lopes vs. Danny Martinez
George Clay vs. Anthony Birchak

yacobod

Banned
BigKaboom2 said:
Ugh I just found this pic that CagePotato posted in mid-August and it ruined my day:

clA4U.jpg

Hate to burst your bubble but bj is helping hughes train for the kos fight. Think matt trained with bj for the fitch fight as well. They are bff now.

Top Bottom