• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dream said:
Ninja please. Everything about Bones Jones indicates that he's a frontrunner who's too concerned with his image to survive when the fight gets ugly.

based on what? If anything, as corny as he is, once he gets in the octagon he seems more like a guy with no fear who's just gonna go all out every second of the match. I can't remember any moment in any of his fights where he fought safe or scared or tried to coast to wins.

I think one way to beat Jones would be to counter-strike while he's doing one of his unconventional striking techniques. So far everyone just focuses on blocking them, or moving backward and resetting. There's a reason most fighters don't do those moves regularly.

dream said:
I'm basing it on his carefully crafted persona, of course.

I don't think it's carefully crafted at all, I just think that's who he is. He's the kind of guy who probably reminded to teacher to assign homework when he was in elementary school. He's a goody goody. That might give him an unlikable personality, but I don't see how it has any bearing on what he does in the ring, especially considering how in every single one of his fights so far he has displayed a personality that is completely the opposite of what you are trying to pin him as.

If anything, a persona like Rampages is much more carefully crafted. I think Bones just throws people off because he doesn't act like the typical cliched "YOU HAVE TO KILL ME BEFORE I'LL TAP!" meathead we see so often in MMA. If anything he seems like one of the more genuine guys in the sport.

Heel

Ninja Scooter said:
He's the kind of guy who probably reminded to teacher to assign homework when he was in elementary school.

ibpkPy.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Jon Jones is far from genuine. The phony humble persona only comes out when the TV camera is rolling.

Besides, karma is against Bones. Eventually he has to pay for what he did to Pride legend and all-around dreamboat Shogun Rua.

dream

All I'm saying is everything about Bones Jones paints a picture of a guy who is concerned with being an athlete and a celebrity first and foremost and will most likely not want anything to do with an opponent who will almost certainly turn it into a hood brawl.

You understand that I know GSP is a great fighter who plays it so safe that he doesn't finish? I know he can finish people which is what makes former fans of his like me even more infuriated.

dream said:
All I'm saying is everything about Bones Jones paints a picture of a guy who is concerned with being an athlete and a celebrity first and foremost and will most likely not want anything to do with an opponent who will almost certainly turn it into a hood brawl.

All I'm saying is since Bones has come to the UFC he has done nothing but run through people and destroy fools. He has gone all out, put himself at risk to try bizarre striking attemps, and yet somehow you think he's a guy who is going to be afraid to mix it up and some sort of pretty boy who won't want to get his face marked up. There is NOTHING to base that on.

I did think it was a bad stoppage at first like Shields said - I don't think him trying to take down the ref was indicative of him being out of it, since there wouldn't really be any reason to look up and verify that you're taking down the correct person when trying to escape from that position.

dream

Ninja Scooter said:
All I'm saying is since Bones has come to the UFC he has done nothing but run through people and destroy fools. He has gone all out, put himself at risk to try bizarre striking attemps, and yet somehow you think he's a guy who is going to be afraid to mix it up and some sort of pretty boy who won't want to get his face marked up. There is NOTHING to base that on.

It's really not that risky when you have a wrestling base and such a huge reach advantage.

knee

Poody said:
shields complaining about ref wow. Dude was out

That dude doesn't know what he's saying. He'll watch the replay w/ a clear head and see that he was 3 blows from an overnight hospital stay.

Heel

UFC 142: Ellenberger vs. Fitch

Actually no, Fitch is fighting Hendricks. Maybe fight the Diaz/Penn winner for #1 contender?

Not a bad stoppage but Ellenburger had Condit in the same position once or twice in the first round and the fight wasn't stopped. I don't think Shields was as out of it as Rogan made it seem.

Top Bottom